PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 50K: Where do we go from here?

gloriousbattle
15-07-2010, 13:44
Curious if anyone has ever extrapolated the 40K universe into the future? I cam up with one in which the Emperor finally died, the galaxy was again thrown into chaos, and, since there is now no astronomican, the "Imperium" is confined to a hundred or so star systems surrounding Earth, which are chipped away at by aliens, pirates and chaos on a daily basis. The High Lords of Terra have been overthrown, and the Inquisition rules directly.

In the midst of all this, a small cabal (of PCs?) is seeking the Star Child in the warp, in the dim hope that humanity may yet be saved.

I never really did much with this concept, but that was where I saw it going.

U?

Stonerhino
15-07-2010, 14:09
While the death of the Emperor would end the IoM as we know it. There is a good chance that it will not shrink that much. Warp travel predates the Astronomican and Navigators for that matter. Also, the many SM chapters will set up their own little pockets of IoM. Some of the less IoM promoting SMs might see the Emperor's death as a completion of their oaths to the Imperium and create their own little kingdoms. Pointing at you Space Wolves.

If the Emperor's death spawns the Star Child, ie creating another chaos god. It's likely that the area of space around Sol becomes like the Eye of terror. Which would be pretty bad.

Iuris
15-07-2010, 14:13
Many many many have gone in that direction. None have prevailed against the odds. Everyone has his own vision, and that vision is always in the minority.

Me, I like to think that the Imperium is about to face some serious setbacks, lose many worlds, and will no longer be able to afford strict dogmatism, leading to something of a renaissance. Alliances with xenos would become more acceptable, tech heresies more tolerated, etc. But, that's just me, of course :)

Clockwork-Knight
15-07-2010, 14:33
Almost all humans have died, because they turned into a fully psychic race, and where then eaten by psychneuins, enslavers and other warp dangers.
The Rhana Dandra already happened, and the Eldar race is dead. The Eye of Terror has almost fully engulfed the entire galaxy, but the Chaos God Slaanesh exists no more, being defeated by Ynnead, and the Eldar species found peace in oblivion. In the place of Slaanesh came a new Chaos God, one of intolerance, hatred, stagnation and genocide. This god came into existence by the worship of the many trillion humans when mankind's psychic potential fully awakened, and this being is as malevolent as the three elder warp gods of ruin, having obliterated the first half of humanity. The other half experienced such disasters like humans turning into a fleshy warp gate from which daemons and worse things came to slaughter those who weren't absorbed by the new chaos god.
Those humans who survived by having a strong psychic shield are fleeing from Tyranids, Orks and other predators who seek to end the remnants of the human race once and for all.
There are no organized human organisations anymore, and the Imperium is a legend from almost 10.000 years ago.

Many other smaller xeno species are also being enslaved by the fell powers. Meanwhile, the C'tan and their necron slaves have finished their old plan, and are sealing away the warp, harvesting those xeno and humans, like the Tau and their client races, who live in their dominion, forever unable to escape.

After that, the end.

And so did the milky way cease to exist.

The SkaerKrow
15-07-2010, 14:43
Honestly, I don't think that things would have to change too much. The Imperium may fragment, but that isn't necessarily the death knell of mankind. Remember, while the Imperium has incredible resources, the sheer vastness of its bureaucracy prevents it from committing those resources in anything resembling a timely fashion. If the Imperium was broken into four or five smaller dominions, equipment and manpower could be brought against threats quickly and more efficiently.

FrankieKhainor
15-07-2010, 14:47
I remember someone did a story about Warhammer 60,000. I think it was on Heresy Online, but I can't remember.
Found it! http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18475&highlight=warhammer+60%2C000

Szafraniec
15-07-2010, 14:57
Orks. Absolutely everywhere.

Green-is-best
15-07-2010, 16:22
I remember someone did a story about Warhammer 60,000. I think it was on Heresy Online, but I can't remember.
Found it! http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18475&highlight=warhammer+60%2C000

I want 10 minutes of my life back.

massey
15-07-2010, 19:00

Wow. I couldn't even get through the first few paragraphs. You have more willpower than I do.

Karl MkVI
15-07-2010, 19:27
Wow. I couldn't even get through the first few paragraphs. You have more willpower than I do.

Seconded; well done Green-is-best. I lasted for about 30 seconds!! :)

Goosey_J
15-07-2010, 20:20

This.

That was one of the worst written, whackest things I've ever read.

Weaver
15-07-2010, 20:28
Rise of the Tau (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=411)

Revenant's Epic. Warhammer 60k, specifically, but close enough. Beware: this is a long one. Not necessarily one I agree with, but it is a rather fun exploration of things

Lord Zarkov
15-07-2010, 22:09
I loved Rise of the Tau, it's a shame it ended with the removal of the BL forums :(

baphomael
15-07-2010, 22:32
While the death of the Emperor would end the IoM as we know it. There is a good chance that it will not shrink that much. Warp travel predates the Astronomican and Navigators for that matter. Also, the many SM chapters will set up their own little pockets of IoM. Some of the less IoM promoting SMs might see the Emperor's death as a completion of their oaths to the Imperium and create their own little kingdoms. Pointing at you Space Wolves.

If the Emperor's death spawns the Star Child, ie creating another chaos god. It's likely that the area of space around Sol becomes like the Eye of terror. Which would be pretty bad.

I'm not sure if it predated Navigators - IIRC, warp travel exploded when mankind discovered the Navigator gene.

Course, prior to the Age of Strife the warp was a tad calmer and not as dangerous.

ForgottenLore
15-07-2010, 22:39
I see the imperium shattered into many smaller kingdoms, the Kingdom of Ultramar being the largest and best defended.
The second heresy, when half of the Adeptus Mechanicus defected to the necrons saw the downfall of Terra and the death of the emperor and the rise of the necrons as a persistent threat.
craftworld eldar are dead, though rumors persist of a one surviving craftworld out there somewhere. the Dark Eldar cling to life however, becoming ever more desperate to hold off the coming end.
Tyranids are rampaging throughout the galaxy
Tau have expanded to about the size and strength of ultramar but are beset on all sides.
Now that humanity is not as powerful as it was, chaos focuses more of its attention on other forces and so isn't really any more of a threat than it was before, especially with both necrons and 'nids hitting them hard.
Orcs is Orcs, they'll never change.

Lord Zarkov
15-07-2010, 22:46
I'm not sure if it predated Navigators - IIRC, warp travel exploded when mankind discovered the Navigator gene.

Course, prior to the Age of Strife the warp was a tad calmer and not as dangerous.
It did predate Navigators - you just couldn't go as far since you had to rely on shorted 'Calculated Jumps'. This obviously limited how far you could suppport logistics etc as it all took alot longer.
Once man had been using the warp for a bit Navigators were discovered/developed and warp travel then 'exploded' as you could suddenly go a lot further and a lot faster.

barrangas
15-07-2010, 23:33
My problem with going ahead in 40k is that the background is set up to work out so that the Emperor and the Primarchs return, probably at the critical moment before Terra falls to Abaddon, and saves humanity. The Eldar pull out their miracle savior hinted at in their fluff (Ynnead?), and probably ascend to the Warp as higher forms of life. This will probably neuter the threats of the C'tan and Chaos Gods. From there the Orks, Nids, and Tau won't stand a chance as the Emperor and Primarchs are back.

gloriousbattle
16-07-2010, 00:31

Unless the fluff has changed DRAMATICALLY from when last I read it, isn't the Star Child a sort of "purified" warp deity? Wouldn't he actually restore the warp to something like it was pre- the four chaos gods?

barrangas
16-07-2010, 01:36
Unless the fluff has changed DRAMATICALLY from when last I read it, isn't the Star Child a sort of "purified" warp deity? Wouldn't he actually restore the warp to something like it was pre- the four chaos gods?

The Star Child and the Sensie were pretty much phased out of the 40k background I'm told. My understanding was it what the Emperor was supposed to become upon dying, a Warp deity but was supposed to be good.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
16-07-2010, 01:45
Rise of the Tau (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=411)

Revenant's Epic. Warhammer 60k, specifically, but close enough. Beware: this is a long one. Not necessarily one I agree with, but it is a rather fun exploration of things

Agreed, definately a great piece of work but not really how I would expect things to pan out.

piddlinggaley
23-07-2010, 20:06
I love the Star Child /Sensei fluff it really was the main thing that dragged me into the 40k universe after reading about it in the Lost and the Damned when I was about twelve. I like the idea of the Star Child being born and the Sensei rising as kind of primarchs and leading mankind in a second great crusade to reunite the galaxy from the dark age of the fall of the Imperium.

Bestaltan
23-07-2010, 20:43
Squats finally make it back, and they're really, really mad.

Hrw-Amen
24-07-2010, 14:24
I am sure that the Emperor is actually already dead and that it hads just been kept secret from most of humanity byt those in power and position to stop it getting out.

The Astronomicon is simply maintained by the sacrifice of all those psykers every day.

He has not become the star child or a chaos god, he has just died like everyone else does and is now just a rotting carcuss on the golden throne. Or at best his bodily functions are simply maintained via a lifesupport like we do in hospitals nowadays, but a lot more gothically.

The IoM is no more fractured than normal, everything just keeps going and no-one is any the wiser, at least not low down people who don't need or care to know.

Malice313
25-07-2010, 12:11
I've never really been a fan of Fanfic.

If I want to play a game with story line progression I pull out my old Heavy Gear and White Wolf stuff.

I wonder why those games are struggling to stay afloat these days...:shifty:

Karl MkVI
25-07-2010, 14:24
I am sure that the Emperor is actually already dead and that it hads just been kept secret from most of humanity byt those in power and position to stop it getting out.

The Astronomicon is simply maintained by the sacrifice of all those psykers every day.

He has not become the star child or a chaos god, he has just died like everyone else does and is now just a rotting carcuss on the golden throne. Or at best his bodily functions are simply maintained via a lifesupport like we do in hospitals nowadays, but a lot more gothically.

The IoM is no more fractured than normal, everything just keeps going and no-one is any the wiser, at least not low down people who don't need or care to know.

interesting. there is an extract somewhere from a 40k book (cant remember which or where; i believe it's a codex), where an Eldar farseer claims that the Emperor's presence in the warp is faded and dead. but who knows?

Spider-pope
25-07-2010, 22:03
Warhammer 60,000: The Galaxy is filled with desolate, empty planets devoid of biomass. Meanwhile in the gulfs of intergalactic space, one of the Hive ships of Hive Fleet <Insert Mythical Monster Name Here> is suffering terrible indigestion after devouring that last Ork world.

gloriousbattle
25-07-2010, 22:44
Warhammer 60,000: The Galaxy is filled with desolate, empty planets devoid of biomass. Meanwhile in the gulfs of intergalactic space, one of the Hive ships of Hive Fleet <Insert Mythical Monster Name Here> is suffering terrible indigestion after devouring that last Ork world.

Mmmm... orks... :D

Scalebug
26-07-2010, 00:20
interesting. there is an extract somewhere from a 40k book (cant remember which or where; i believe it's a codex), where an Eldar farseer claims that the Emperor's presence in the warp is faded and dead. but who knows?

There was an intriguing piece of colour text in 2nd ed about a technician working in an un-named facility doing some tests and terrified coming up with "all life signs stabilized at nil", and when reporting it to his superior, some Inquisitor type character, being shot with a needler for unfortunately finding out...

Now, granted, it was in the same issue of white dwarf that had the 2nd Ed rules and model release for Legion of the Damned, so it could of course have been related to them being some degree of undead, but we theorized it was a hidden revelation that the Emperor was in fact dead... ;)

Malice313
26-07-2010, 02:09

Filthy Xeno lies!!!:mad:

gloriousbattle
28-07-2010, 11:25
Ah, I wouldn't worry about it. The eldar are always saying dumb stuff. I remember from 1st ed, one eldar sage called the orks the pinnalce of creation, because they would never have created chaos gods the way men and eldar did.