PDA

View Full Version : ymgarl

Purplepride
15-07-2010, 22:24
Does anybody have any information as to the placement of Ymgarl (as in Ymgarl Genstealers) in the galaxy?

Corax
16-07-2010, 00:53
It's somewhere in the Ultima Segmentum, IIRC. There's a bit about Yrmgal in the 5e nid codex, but I don't have it handy at the moment. I think it got slurped by Hive Fleet Behemoth; so its a barren, airless rock now.

Petay1985
16-07-2010, 09:32
It's somewhere in the Ultima Segmentum, IIRC. There's a bit about Yrmgal in the 5e nid codex, but I don't have it handy at the moment. I think it got slurped by Hive Fleet Behemoth; so its a barren, airless rock now.

I am going on memory alone, but this rings a bell, i am inclined to agree with Corax's summary.

Lothlanathorian
17-07-2010, 00:02
Yes. It was in the Eastern Fringe somewhere and the 'Nids first Hive Fleet ate it up.

Scalebug
17-07-2010, 09:12
Hmm? Sure about that, eaten by the Hive Fleet thing?

Because the Salamanders went on a cleansing campaing to exterminate the Stealers (and their hosts) there after the link to the Tyranids had been discovered, which first happened at Macragge, in the final battle of the first Tyranid War...

So if it is in later books stated that the first Hive fleet ate Yrmgaarl (and/or its moons actually) it is one of those annoying small mistakes in the fluff...

AndrewGPaul
17-07-2010, 11:17
This galaxy map (http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html) has Ymgarl near to the Ymga monolith, at coordinates 2070,890. No idea how accurate that is. The location of the Ygma monolith seems to line up reasonably well with the map from the 2nd edition Codex: Tyranids, but that has no mention of where Ymgarl is.

In any case, Corax, Petay1895 and Lothlanathorian weren't paying attention; the moons of Ymgarl are still mentioned as being purged by the Salamanders. It's in a box on page 15 of the current codex.

Clockwork-Knight
17-07-2010, 11:54
Isn't it even so that the hive fleets actually avoid eating the Ymgarl creatures because the shifting ability that the Ymgarl genestealers show might destabilize the genetic structure of the hive?
At least, something like that was written in the new Tyranid Codex.

Malice313
17-07-2010, 12:25
There is not much information on Ymgarl. Its first mention was long before any map of the Imperium was ever made by GW.

I'm assuming it has multiple moons as page 211 of Rogue Trade says that Genestealers "originate from one of the moons of Ymgarl". Bear in mind that this was years before they were even associated with Tyranids.

Apparently they used a leech like creature called a Csith to mate with. Mating with a Csith always produce a pure Genestealer regardless of its former parentage.

Other than that the only mention of Ymgarl is that profile given on the same page was for only the pure Genestealers of Ymgarl, though the same characteristics served for Genestealers in all lists until 3rd ed (I think).

Ymgarl and its moons have not surfaced again in any fluff until the latest Tyranid codex to my knowledge. I will check the old Genestealer army lists if you like, but I'm fairly sure.

Corax
17-07-2010, 12:50
In any case, Corax, Petay1895 and Lothlanathorian weren't paying attention; the moons of Ymgarl are still mentioned as being purged by the Salamanders. It's in a box on page 15 of the current codex.

One does not preclude the other. Just because the Salamanders purged it of genestealers does not mean that it hasn't been sucked dry by the Hive Fleets. Its not like SM (in their environment sealed armour) or genestealers (who can live on airless space hulks) need an atmosphere to live in. Purging an infestation on such a world would be like clearing a a decompressed space hulk.

Which is not to say that I'm not wrong. I could be, as I was just going off the top of my head. It could also be that we're both right.

AndrewGPaul
17-07-2010, 13:16
Heh. Now that I think about it, you do have a point.

If that map is accurate in its placement of Ymgarl, none of the Hive Fleets mentioned in the current codex went near it, but there could be a splinter fleet, I suppose.

AndrewGPaul
17-07-2010, 13:19
Ymgarl and its moons have not surfaced again in any fluff until the latest Tyranid codex to my knowledge. I will check the old Genestealer army lists if you like, but I'm fairly sure.

I don't have a copy of the 2nd edition codex to hand, but I think the moons of Ymgarl are mentioned there. They're mentioned in the 3rd edition book (inasmuch as anything in a 3rd edition codex had any fluff).

Corax
18-07-2010, 02:30
This may help clarify the issue a bit:

Hive Fleet Behemoth hits Ultramar in 745.M41 (C:SM, 5e; p. 40).

The Salamanders purge the moons of Yrmgal of Genestealers in 754.M41 (C:SM, 5e; p. 49).

So its possible that the Salamanders dealt with the Genestealers on Yrmgal as part of the clean-up after Behemoth. Still doesn't tell us what the current state of Yrmgal is.

Lothlanathorian
18-07-2010, 04:53
I was thinking of Tyran finding all those planets that were supposed to be full of flora and fauna scoured of life. I got my 'Nid Codex back yesterday and have re-read the important bits. I stand corrected and shall blame OGS (Old Gamer Syndrom).