PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves 13th Company, a minor question.

salvindogath
15-07-2010, 22:36
Hi all,

Would the 13th company use any kinds of vehicles?

Now I know the general theme is no vehicle, bikes are the limit, but I also know that the company has been split into warbands and they take parts of the armour from the chaos marines that they kill to replace sections of their own wargear.

Would the same not apply for vehicles? What if they were to capture a couple of chaos predators for example?

ODINM4
15-07-2010, 22:38
Id say of course if you operate behind enemy lines you need to replace materials,so yes

Son of Sanguinius
15-07-2010, 22:50
Maintaining those vehicles is another matter entirely. I don't think the 13th company has any iron priests with them, and therefore no warriors with the know how to repair vehicles and talk to the machine spirits. Moreover, the deployment of vehicles on a battlefield requires a lot of resources which would be hard to come by. I doubt the 13th company has a sizeable fleet in the Eye.

salvindogath
15-07-2010, 23:04
True, true. Although after being around since the heresy surely one or two members of a warband would have self taught themself to undertake basic repairs and maintenance? As far as deploying vehicles on a battlefield goes, if it is only 1 or 2 vehicles being deployed then that shouldn't requre too much in the way of resources. A thunderhawk or two could surely do the job? As for the fleet, it would only take 1 vessel, with space enough for the warband and a small hold/embarkation deck to keep the vehicles on to enable their deployment. And with the limited range of their warp gate powers of the rune priests they must need at least 1 ship at their disposal or they would gate to afew different planets and then they'd be stopped in their tracks.

Another question that has come to me is: although the marines take bits of armour from their fallen foes and wear them, would they remove all symbols of mutation, devotive icons to the chaos gods and such, keeping the chapter icon (take the world eaters as an example) as a kind of trophy?

Son of Sanguinius
15-07-2010, 23:26
I'd imagine that at the very least, they defame the iconography and carve anyway unnecessary mutations and fetishes.

salvindogath
15-07-2010, 23:45
Awesome, I thought as much. Thanks for the info dude!

Son of Sanguinius
15-07-2010, 23:53
Info? Hardly, but you're more than welcome to my opinion. :)

Sinisterfence
16-07-2010, 00:04
on the vehicle subject, I think the vast majority of traitor vehicles no longer resemble their imperial counterparts interiorly, as most use daemonic energy for fuel and drivers tend to be welded to their seats

SharpSilver
16-07-2010, 00:13
Maintaining those vehicles is another matter entirely. I don't think the 13th company has any iron priests with them, and therefore no warriors with the know how to repair vehicles and talk to the machine spirits. Moreover, the deployment of vehicles on a battlefield requires a lot of resources which would be hard to come by. I doubt the 13th company has a sizeable fleet in the Eye.

I'm pretty sure that when the 13th Company went off into the Eye of Terror, there would have been an Iron-Priest and his Thralls attached, or perhaps more.

Once the 13th Company move into the Eye it's unknown what happens there after, however the assumption must be made that the Company was equipped similarly as any Great Company of the 41st Millenium, and therefore means all the gear, vehicles and the support. This would include a Iron Priest and his thralls at the very least. We know that the 13th Company were split into war-bands for example, such as the one on the Shadow World of Charys in the Eye.

A lot of people make the grave mistake in thinking that because the 13th Company are completely cut-off in any form from reinforcements and new equipment that they can't make use of what they already had.

It would also be interesting because we have no idea on the rough amount of Space Wolves that went into the Eye in the first place. The event of the 13th Companies disappearance happened during the Horus Heresy and before the Codex Astartes was written, therefore, this Company could've numbered easily in the thousands, and that would mean quite a few Iron Priests to look after the vehicles in the name of Russ and the Machine Spirit. Although, it's important to remember that every single member of the 13th Company has the Curse of the Wulfen, and by some turn of event, and by chance, every Iron-Priest could've succumbed to the Wolf Spirit already. We just don't know.

Willing to buy 13th Company novel/Series. :D Might buy Prospero Burns when it's released to read if it has any mention of them.

salvindogath
16-07-2010, 19:14
Another thought has occured to me. Would they treat their dreadnoughts in the same way? I would assume one or two of the dreadnoughts would have been part of the company, would they repair and maintain the armour and weapon arms in a similar fashion?

And would they be able to put other marines in dreadnoughts after they have been in the eye? If they have the means to put a fallen brother in one, could they manage to reclaim any of the dreadnoughts that serve chaos? I'm assuming that to do so would require a lot of re-sanctifiying of the the machine? Is that even possible?

A final thought for now, would they wear pieces of armour taken from the thousand sons? I can't quite work out if they would wear them and take satisfaction in knowing they have killed some of their bitter enemies, or wether they would refuse to wear armour used by those abominations. What are peoples thoughts?

SharpSilver
16-07-2010, 22:01
Another thought has occured to me. Would they treat their dreadnoughts in the same way? I would assume one or two of the dreadnoughts would have been part of the company, would they repair and maintain the armour and weapon arms in a similar fashion?

And would they be able to put other marines in dreadnoughts after they have been in the eye? If they have the means to put a fallen brother in one, could they manage to reclaim any of the dreadnoughts that serve chaos? I'm assuming that to do so would require a lot of re-sanctifiying of the the machine? Is that even possible?

A final thought for now, would they wear pieces of armour taken from the thousand sons? I can't quite work out if they would wear them and take satisfaction in knowing they have killed some of their bitter enemies, or whether they would refuse to wear armour used by those abominations. What are peoples thoughts?

If desperate enough. I'm sure the Armour would be cleansed, any wards and iconography would be removed and then I imagine it would be utilized for wear.

It's possible for Space Wolves who've been Wolfbitten to be placed into a Dreadnought, however it's difficult to say how though. The Curse of the Wulfen hits every Space Wolf of the 13th Company differently. Some will be more resilient to the beast within as they struggle to maintain a sound state of mind, for example, that's how, in Wolfs Honour (Spoiler Alert), that many members of the war-band were able to maintain a state of mind and bodily state the same as before they had been Wolf-bitten. They all had glowing yellow eyes, to signify that they had the Curse, but it manifested in them all completely different.

I personally think that any Dreadnought that still was present in the 13th Company at the coming of the 41st Millennium would be much more resistant to the effects of the Curse.

To discuss the other question, I'm sure if the Iron-Priests had the resources and ability to inter a Marine into a sarcophagus of a Dreadnought inside the Eye they would. I also think that if they had Enemy parts scavenged from Chaos they would use those to try and get the Dreadnoughts operational as well. Obviously after being cleansed/Purified of any taint of Chaos. The workings of the Chaos Dreadnoughts would be nearly identical so it's a brilliant opportunity to utilize the scrap. Only think to do would be to cleanse the filth of Chaos.