PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Beastmen

Drifter00
16-07-2010, 05:59
So I'm currently working on my HE army (started before the new edition and loving the new buffs hehe). I'm thinking of doing Beastmen as my second army but after reading various threads I'm confused as to how they perform.

Many people are saying they are overpriced, their core sucks and they have no armour saves. I have never played against them and have only looked at their codex a few times but they seem like a fun army to play especially with lore of beasts buffing.

Do you guys think beastmen would be a fun army to do or should I wait and see the new TK codex (since I'm also interested in starting them)

Halelel
16-07-2010, 06:39
So I'm currently working on my HE army (started before the new edition and loving the new buffs hehe). I'm thinking of doing Beastmen as my second army but after reading various threads I'm confused as to how they perform.

Many people are saying they are overpriced, their core sucks and they have no armour saves. I have never played against them and have only looked at their codex a few times but they seem like a fun army to play especially with lore of beasts buffing.

Do you guys think beastmen would be a fun army to do or should I wait and see the new TK codex (since I'm also interested in starting them)

Beastmen, in my opinion anyways, are pretty much mid tier at the moment. I think many people rate them and Wood Elves at the bottom because of how 8th edition is focused on core infantry blocks, which was not the playstyle of previous incarnations of Beastmen (ambushers) and Wood Elves (skirmishers). However, since they are the most recently updated army book, it was written with 8th edition in mind and the core units are decent (ungors for big steadfast blocks, gors for killing blocks). Chariots are still good, although I hate the models personally. Minotaurs have taken a slight hit since you need more of them for ranking purposes = more expensive. The Beastmen player I play against has never used anything besides a Cygor, so I can't really comment on the rare choices too much.

I won't go too much farther into tactics, since there are tactica threads for that stuff.

My main complaint with Beastmen is that they have very few options at the moment that are unique to their army. I'm currently working on an O&G project and it is just awesome how many choices there are in the army, even if some of them aren't spectacular. I see Beastmen and its pretty much Gors, Ungors, Chariots, and Minotaurs. Maybe in 8th we'll see more blocks of bestigors, those are my favorite models personally. I do think they are still a fun army with a lot of future options. You get to look forward to some fantastic monster kits in the future whenever they are released (Cygor, Jabberslythe, Ghorgon)

Heimagoblin
16-07-2010, 06:43
Beastmen are slap bang in the middle tier, if you play them well you will normally beat a worse player and if you play them badly you will probably lose.What more could you possibly want from an army?

minionboy
16-07-2010, 06:54
As other people said, Beastmen are a general's army. If you're a good general, you'll win, if you're a bad general, you'll lose. Naturally, because of this, they take a bit of practice to fully realize the potential of each unit. They absolutely cannot rely on fancy rules and bargain units to make up for lack of skill.

Fredrik
16-07-2010, 06:57
I play Beastmen (and Chaos, have been for 17-18 years). They have cool models and they really encorage modelling.

As for the competetiveness: My opinion is that they are lower mid tier due to a bit to expensive units around the board. The reason why they are to expensive is that nothing in the Beastman army can really take a punch and in 8 th you take punches no matter how you engage your enemies. This and they really donīt have the magic item support alot of the other armies have (and sorry no the new common magic item do not fully compensate for this)

Ungors are now our best options since they are fairly low cost. Minotaurs are horribly overprices for T4 I3 and no save, as are our monsters. The Cygor is in this edition by far the best but still way to overprices for a rock lobber (the other two are actually really bad for the price).

In short if you are a good player and donīt play in a super competetive enviournment they can work, but they are not very forgiving as an army. If you pick them get ready to spam 3-4 beast wizard lvl 1 get the 0: spell and boost the hell out of those 50-60 large ungor blocks.

But if you are in an enviournment that have a competetive edge to it then Beastmen is not afun army because nothing in your army can really stand up to the other units fielded in such an enviournment.

ChaosVC
16-07-2010, 07:07
Imagine 20 to 25 gors or ungors coming at the flanks and rear of your oponent, now imagine 20 to 25 gors and ungors not appearing at all or appeared at the wrong edge.

If you can get use to that...

mrtn
16-07-2010, 08:13
As said beastmen is in the middle of the pack and, IMNSHO, well worth starting if you like them. The new lore of beasts looks like it will combine very well with beastmen.

The SkaerKrow
16-07-2010, 11:24
They're not a bad army, but they aren't the sort that will ever bail you out with fancy special rules or power units that can all but win the day on their own. As an army with little durability, things can go wrong for you very quickly if you get drawn into a prolonged combat or find yourself exposed to concentrated enemy shooting. That said, even though they have something of an uphill climb, it's far from an insurmountable one, and once you learn the nuances of the army, they can be fairly effective.

willowdark
16-07-2010, 11:40
I think it's an army you have to be inspired to play. You have to love the models, love the fluff and absolutely love and be absolutely willing to rise to the challenge.

When the book came out I spent a long time milling over possible army builds, deliberating on strategy and generally arguing on Warseer about how good or bad the army really was. I was very close to starting Beastmen as my 3rd army.

But at the end of the day, I wasn't inspired by the models, wasn't inspired by the fluff, and 8th ed has offered me the ultimate challenge of reviving my Wood Elves.

So I think the moral here is that to play Beasts it really just has to be the perfect army for you. It has a lot of potential, but it relies on you the gamer to be on top of your game, and on top of your modeling game, much more than any other army.

Ultimate Life Form
16-07-2010, 12:18
Beastmen aeren't the best thing GW have ever done but if they appeal to you get them; they can definitely be fun (and this comes from a passionate Beast hater).

Darkgeneral357
16-07-2010, 12:32
I played beasts with my chaos army when they were merged and used them alot. This year I picked up the new edition and still like em. I win some, I lose some but its always fun and you dont have the frustration of failing 1+ armor saves on 40+ pt. knights since there are none. Not a beginners army but with practice can be effective and fun.

The SkaerKrow
16-07-2010, 15:17
Another feather in the horned crown of the Beastmen is that they actually have a good range of miniatures. Every painted Beast army that I've seen, even with a fairly pedestrian table quality paint job, has looked excellent. Their range does a great job at capturing the spirit of a savage, bestial horde.

LevDaddy
16-07-2010, 17:05
I'm primarily a VC player but I am slowly starting a Beastmen force as my 2nd army. I think they're fun, I like most of their models, and despite what most people are saying they can be strong. In reality, the jury is still out on how powerful they can be as they are still so new, along with 8th edition.

In my opinion overpowered armies are not that 'fun' to play with, necessarily, but I'm all for the Beasties.

txamil
16-07-2010, 17:51
TKs are just around the corner. If you can wait say 4 months to make the decision...

LevDaddy
16-07-2010, 17:54
Great Beastmen thread in tactics:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267116

Drifter00
17-07-2010, 06:07
TKs are just around the corner. If you can wait say 4 months to make the decision...

I don't plan on starting this second army for at least another half year (gotta finish painting up my HE first) so ye i can probably wait