PDA

View Full Version : Orc Battle Standard and where to put it?

Bortus
16-07-2010, 07:28
Well 8th edition is here and I still have not bought the book so all I'm going on here is "what I've heard" and what I have heard is that mounted units cannot join a unit on foot. Now whether this is true or not I'd like to hear others thoughts on how to properly field this guy? I used to either put him in a unit or keep him behind some for safety sake. Looking forward to ideas here! :D

Urgat
16-07-2010, 11:34
Mounted characters can join foot units, but they only get a 4+ LoS. As for where to put your BSB, it really depends on the people, it's merely a matter of opinion. Mine is going to run around on a wolf and hide behind big things, a gobbo BSB would bring little in any melee anyway, he's better off somewhere safe.

Djekar
16-07-2010, 15:31
I don't think that this is the most optimal set up, but I have an amazing conversion for it so - I'm using a B.Orc on foot who hangs out with "da Boyz" and busts some heads open.

ColShaw
16-07-2010, 15:54
I use a Savage Orc BSB on foot with the Spirit Banner. He hangs out with a big honkin' regiment of Night Goblins with Nets. The Nets keep him pretty safe, the Gobbos' ranks give him lots of juice for the Spirit Banner, and his 4 Choppa attacks can bust some heads in combat, making the Gobbo unit a lot more effective.

It's always worked out well for me.

Glabro
16-07-2010, 17:38
How about a night goblin BSB and a NG unit fielded as a reserve unit that tries to stay out of trouble unless you really need to engage them?

In TLOS days, while you can hide behind units, you still can be shot at (although with a major -2 to hit). Obviously if there are cannons or stone throwers about, you've just downgraded your LoS to a 4+. But still, you can be inside units for most of the time and hide behind them before combat starts, hopefully by this stage you've taken care of the most threatening artillery with fast cavalry, your own lobbas or A Wyvern (though that is at risk of being cannonballed, even more so than the BSB)

Bortus
16-07-2010, 17:44
Well the reason I'm asking and I should have mentioned this in the first place is I was thinking about using an BOBB as the BSB and putting him on a boar.

Djekar
16-07-2010, 19:10
I will direct you to Malorian's "Orc Tactical Page". This weeks topic - greenskin BSBs. There should be some nuggets in there for you.

Bortus
16-07-2010, 21:17
Thanks Djekar! :) Now how do I get there? I tried a search but get 0 results.

Djekar
16-07-2010, 22:09
This (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247172) should be the link to the page here on Warseer. The first post has a list of all of the videos, the lastest one is the one that I'm refering to now.

TMATK
16-07-2010, 22:53
Mounted characters can join foot units, but they only get a 4+ LoS. ...

Wait, really?? I thought the character had to be the same troop type as the unit he is in or near; ie. a character mounted on warbeast can only get a LOS! from a unit of cavalry.

I would love it if you were right and I was wrong, please advise!

Djekar
17-07-2010, 00:45
TMATK-
You are correct, your character does have to be either in (2+) or within 3" of (4+) a unit of the same unit type to get a LO,S! roll. If you put that dude on a boar in your block of boyz and there isn't any cav within 3"... well then, that'll be an interesting day.

Whitesox
17-07-2010, 13:58
Black Orc Big Boss
Helm of +1 armour re-roll successfull wounds
heavy armour
armed to da teef
in a big unit of night goblins with netters

He has a 4+ armour save and strength 6 hits only wound 25% of the time (and you still get an armour save) if the nets have worked. He has taken out a 7 attack old blood in close combat without suffering a wound. also you get a choice of extra choppa or great weapon :)

But if you what the spirit totem build be prepared to keep your bsb well out of harms way, at least the build i do can hold its own with opposing characters

Djekar
17-07-2010, 17:03
I broke out my VFBRB to correct you Whitesox, and much to my chagrin I found that you are correct, he does still get a LO,S! and immunity to normal targetting while being in the Night Goblins. I just had a misconception based on a rumor.

That being said, if I were going to stick my BSB with some netters that would be a great build... who am I kidding, I'm probably going to sit him with the netters I have. Thanks for the (indirect) kick in the pants rules-wise and the new BSB build.

Whitesox
17-07-2010, 18:20
I broke out my VFBRB to correct you Whitesox, and much to my chagrin I found that you are correct, he does still get a LO,S! and immunity to normal targetting while being in the Night Goblins. I just had a misconception based on a rumor.

That being said, if I were going to stick my BSB with some netters that would be a great build... who am I kidding, I'm probably going to sit him with the netters I have. Thanks for the (indirect) kick in the pants rules-wise and the new BSB build.

glad to have provided that indirect kick! :)