PDA

View Full Version : Unit limits (not unit size limits) - Still apply?

Fallen Angel 31
16-07-2010, 09:07
I've had a butchers over the BRB rules on army selection a few time now, and cannot work it out.

The BRB states to ignore the "Army selection" rules in each of the army books.

From what I gather, this does not mean you can ignore unit size restrictions (I.e. the min and max numbers of models PER UNIT).

But does it mean you can ignore any 0-1 (or similar) restrictions on things?
E.g. 0-1 Dwarf Anvil of Doom, 1+ Bret Knights of the Realm, 0-1 Bret Peg knights, etc.

I would assume that these limits do still apply.

The Greenskin FAQ specifically states only 1 unit can be upgraded to Big Un's, but I'm not sure since the limits are army book selection rules (sort of) which we're told to ignore.

Has anyone else had this come up?

Frosty_TK
16-07-2010, 10:24
These limits still apply, since they are not part of the army selection page. The only way to remove these additional restrictions would be for an errata to remove these from the unit entry itself.

stripsteak
17-07-2010, 09:10
the faqs give you a specific page(s) to ignore, if the unit limits are on other pages you aren't told to ignore them, unless they also have their own separate errata entry.

Dutch_Digger
17-07-2010, 09:41
They specifically added a faq to remove the line saying
"Note that every Bret army must include at least one unit of KotR."
They didnt think of removing the 1+ in their entry though.

Little mishap ?

stripsteak
17-07-2010, 09:56
they still want you to include one. they just don't want you to note it :D

EldarBishop
17-07-2010, 16:23
Only the unit "type" limits are lifted. ie. 1-4 characters, 2+ Core, 0-3 Special, etc.

Any other restrictions, such as 1+ KotR unit, would still apply!

Sifal
17-07-2010, 18:38
A question in a similar vein, in the Vampire armybook on page 88 it says 'you must include at least 1 vampire in your army to act as its general. If you include more than one vampire, then the one with the highest leadership value is the general.'
In the VC FAQ it says ignore page 88. so does a VC army HAVE to include a vampire at all now (though why wouldn't you) and does the highest LD vamp HAVE to be the general? I'd imagine the intention is that yes you have to include a vampire and yes the highest LD one is the general but these rules have now been specifically ommitted. nowhere else in the armybook does it say you have to include a vampire and neither vampire entries are 1+

EldarBishop
17-07-2010, 20:59
Well, the General does have to have the highest Ld (or be selected from them, if more then one is eligible). BRB pg 107.

So, would that mean that a Wight Lord would be the General unless there was also a Vampire Lord... in which case you could "choose" which would be the General.

The VC FAQ says to ignore page 88, which includes the rule which forces the army to be led by a Vampire. As such, RAW, that restriction no longer applies. Personally, I don't think I'd ever take an army without a Vampire present...

Sifal
17-07-2010, 22:45
but you might take a Wight king as your general (LD 9 and everyone can march within 12" of him) because that would be an excellent general choice if it's a game with no lords.

for the record, i'm never going to try this, it seems too magoo and cheeky.

jet_palero
18-07-2010, 05:16
but you might take a Wight king as your general (LD 9 and everyone can march within 12" of him) because that would be an excellent general choice if it's a game with no lords.

for the record, i'm never going to try this, it seems too magoo and cheeky.

A few editions again Necromancers and Wights were the typical leaders of undead armies.