PDA

View Full Version : The beginings of a fluffy tale

wilsonian
16-07-2010, 10:01
Some of you may have seen my IG diary in the 40k section (or from my sig), I have written some fluff to accompany the army and tie in different units that I've created. Unfortunately I feel the fluff is a bit poor and so I intend to re-write it. To give my story some more depth I've created a sort of story board which covers some topics. However I'm stuck on a few details - possible events etc. Have a look at what you think and any input would be ideal:

Planet and system background - this is going to be similar to the background I'm already using however leaving out uncovering the chaos icon etc. Explaining how the planet has 4 major fortress Cites (not spires)
-
Sudden assault by chaos fleet. Marines swarm planet with hell blades, doomfires and other fighters (inc once loyal vessels), calls for help sent, PDF force pushed back and over ran from many other cites
-
6 Months later - Intro to CO inc informing reader of the cities current situation, being the last grand city left in imperial hands. Tanks low on full, low food, supply drops not getting through due to week naval air power
-
Imperial Navy break through chaos fleet blockade and take up orbit releasing huge vessels equipped with numerous regiments and supplies - **I need to know what vessels these will be and also what ships release valks and vultures for planet strikes**
-
New chapter - Path Finders secure LZ base some 200 miles away. Deployment of new airborne and armoured regiment. Scouting units discover week rebel (presumed destroyed but gone renegade) IG troops holding a section of the front line. Plans to smash weak chaos lines to maintain a supply line and bolster defenders
-
City CO receives coms of attack plans. airborne will be used to capture key positions (bridges, supply dumps, Anti-tank guns) Armour will roll out under cover of artillery barrage.
-
City defenders push back large assault with aid from naval air support and planet bombardment. Follow one Sgt as he tries to repel assault. Gets knocked out from tank blast, comes to to the sound of distant gun fire and a medic (clean and trim) attending to his arm wounds. confirms Armour made it to the city...

Story ends...

.... or does it :)

Any advice etc most welcome.

MajorWesJanson
16-07-2010, 12:32
4 major fortress cities? Easy solution. Ex-hive world assaulted in the past, perhaps by Orks or previous Chaos assault. Only 4 hives survive, and badly damaged. During the assault, the wreckage of the hive spires is used to build fortifications. Eventually, siege is lifted. 4 cities decide to rebuild with stronger defenses. Fortifications are rebuilt to proper standards, and learning from the loss of the hive spires, begin building down, underground for defensability. You end up with an upside down hive, with two sets of desirable locations. Surface is claimed by military, as the fortifications on the surface. Political figures also stay close to the surface, to show bravery and for ease of escape as needed. Rich merchant types seek the lowest levels, both or safety in depth, and rich mineral deposits found deeper down.

wilsonian
16-07-2010, 14:26
That seems a good idea to explain the city and lay outs.

Does anyone think the strategy is sound for reinforcements to be deployed away from the battle and assault from a different direction or have an LZ set out within the City limits and force a break out?

Petay1985
16-07-2010, 15:15
That seems a good idea to explain the city and lay outs.

Does anyone think the strategy is sound for reinforcements to be deployed away from the battle and assault from a different direction or have an LZ set out within the City limits and force a break out?

either works, i prefer your idea of a reinforcements landing at a remote location and joining the battle from another angle. Tactically it forces the enemy to split their forces too, perhaps buying the defenders time?

MajorWesJanson
16-07-2010, 16:02
Probably a mix of both. Reinforcements to help hold the city and make it an anvil, and then outside forces to crush the enemy between them and the city.

wilsonian
16-07-2010, 18:53
Kewl. however what ships are used to deploy whole regiments?

Malice313
17-07-2010, 13:45
The building of a fortress need not be in response to an attack. Perhaps the Imperial Cult of the world assimilated a particularly doomsday style religion and has been preparing for the "Final Days" for the Emperor to deem them worthy.

Nothing like a bunch of apocalyptic, religious psychos armed to the teeth to stall an assault, just ask the ATF.:D

wilsonian
18-07-2010, 15:49
Well to be honest I was looking more at a grand city feel rather than a spire etc. after all this isn't the only planet in the system and was more thinking this of the noble planet where the others have the spires and ore mines etc.