PDA

View Full Version : Death Skinks! (Southlands list 2500pts)

DivineVisitor
27-05-2005, 13:49
A sounthlands list ive been throwing about my head, just looking for opinions on it thanks :)

Hero (General)
Skink Cheif - 115
Stegadon Helm, Scout, Blessing of Tepok

Hero
Skink Assassin - 145
Dagger of Sotek, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, Scout, Blessed Spawning of the Old Ones

Hero
Skink Priest - 120
Diadem of Power, Mark of Tepok

Hero
Skink Priest - 125
Dispel Scroll, Dragonfly of Quicksilver, Mark of Tepok

Core
10 X 10 Skink Skirmishers - 750
Brave

Special
2 X 5 Kroxigor - 620
Ancient

Special
5 Terradons - 185
Brave

Special
5 Horned Ones - 170
Full Command, Mark of Tepok

Rare
2 X 2 Salamanders - 260

Total 2500 pts

Total Power Die 4 (6)
Total Dispel Die 8 (10)
+1 Dispel Scroll

Army Composition:
4 X Hero
10 X Core
4 X Special
2 X Rare

Riddy
27-05-2005, 14:17
Jungle Swarms, they are highly useful in a southlands army for holding up enemy units. With skirmish and M5 they can get on flanks easily and can even hold evenmy units up for horned ones to hit them in the flank. Other than that all i would do is bump my units up in size a little, maybe have 4 skirmishing units and 6 not, thats 60 points and can go in to 10 more skinks, just bump 3 units up to 13-14, these will be harder to break and you are never going to manage to scout 100 skinks anyway.

thanquol
27-05-2005, 15:03
I agree with te swarms. And try to get some more Kroxigors, while disbanding 3 or 4 units os skinks

Math Mathonwy
27-05-2005, 21:04
Also, a couple of short bow armed skink units would be a good idea. There's only so much room to fit those skinks in, some are going to be further back from the enemy, and if they have shortbows they can shoot. Besides, when moving, short bows are better than blowpipes and you can keep a respectful distance from the enemy that way.

Frankly
28-05-2005, 08:49
I like the armylist over all, its pretty balanced and has a good amount of troop nummbers in it.

Swarms are the golden players in my Southlands lists. They're the only unit thats can really take or charge or hold down a heavy hitting army. They're excellent against terror and fear causing units like minotaurs and especially gaints and they can murder them pretty well too.

Think able dropping the kroxigors down to 3 or 4, I prefer 3. they're just easier to wheel, not so many points in one unit, they have problems of getting all their attacks in if the ranked up to wide, and are more easily counter charged if they have a large front rank.

if you scout units them make them 13 skinks each so they panic on 4 wounds. skinks that hang around your general can usually get away with being 10. Keep some units at unit strength 10 for flee reactions and suicide runs.

Drop the standard from the horned ones, its giving away points if they loss in combat. Personally I'd say drop them all together. Although I like the unit. I think your list would benefit more from another unit and salamanders. Their are two real threats to your list one magic. Two, skirmishers, your salamanders are your best protection against the latter.

Get more anti-magic. I rarely every play southlands without 4 dispel scrolls and a whole lot of dispel dice. The oppoanants magic phase is the bigest threat to your army not only because of damage but also because of panic. Tool up against it and you can write off one phase of his turn.

Adlan
29-05-2005, 08:48
It seems to me you are going to have difficulty manouvering all those skinks, i mean a hundred is a lot (a lot a lot, about a squaree foot) and the manouverability of skinks is their advantage.

Math Mathonwy
29-05-2005, 09:33
It seems to me you are going to have difficulty manouvering all those skinks, i mean a hundred is a lot (a lot a lot, about a squaree foot) and the manouverability of skinks is their advantage.
Since they skirmish there really is no trouble. With 300 it gets a bit ponderous but even that is quite manageable. No worries whatsoever with 100. But a couple of shortbows would be good.

Also, why the braves?

And yes, I would drop one or two Kroxis from both units.

Frankly
29-05-2005, 14:13

Nope, not at all.

I've used 180 in 2k games and haven't had a problem.

Remember that some units work close to only units. while many other range wide.

@math mathonwy

Do you really like S.bows?

Math Mathonwy
30-05-2005, 08:18
@math mathonwy

Do you really like S.bows?
Yup. That extra range is very useful, especially when there are lots of Skinks on the board. With blow pipes I must move pretty much every turn but with short bows they can stay put every once in a while, which is important when facing skirmishers, for example. About one third or fourth of the skink units should have short bows to maximize the effectiveness of the force, IMHO. I also tend to keep the Shamans in these units so as to keep a respectful distance from the enemy.

Frankly
31-05-2005, 15:12
Hmmm, I've have to give them another go. Most likely I haven't given them the right amount of numbers to make them useful.

I've been disinterested in them since they have a +1pt price increase, that and I find javelins so damned mobile. But lately my game has turned very defensive with my skinks, so I've have to give S.bows another go I think.