PDA

View Full Version : Horus Heresy Series

The Inevitable One
16-07-2010, 14:53
This has probably been posted a fair few times...

I was just on Lexicanum and was seeing how many Horus Heresy books there were currently and wondered, how many more are there going to be? Now we know that in January 2011 that Dan Abnett's Prospero Burns is due out, but nothing after that. So how many more books do you think will be in the Horus Heresy Series and what would you like to see in them?

Eulenspiegel
16-07-2010, 17:06
How many will there be? Nobody knows, and the Black Library certainly didnīt say anything to constrict themselves. As long as the series sells, you can expect to get more books. Thereīs a cap to it, though. The story advances, slowly, towards terra. And BL canīt publish filler-books indefinetely, as they would be losing credibility and interest.

tl;dr: Expect it to be wrapped up, but perhaps not in the next 2 - 3 years.

FabricatorGeneralMike
16-07-2010, 17:11
As long as there is a demand for it, they will make it. 'nuff said....;)

Farseer Dave
16-07-2010, 20:34
Yep what Mike said there gona drag this on for ages becouse its a goldmine!!

But who cares there bloody fantastic reads ,''a thousand sons'' is one of the greatest 40k books ever written have high hopes for the future books in the series!

Farseer Dave.

DuskRaider
16-07-2010, 23:43
Also remember, they can drag the series out even after the Siege of Terra. You've got a whole series in and of itself with the Traitor Legions and their allies making their way to The Eye... what the despoil, conquer, or just destroy along the way.

Lord Lorne Walkier
17-07-2010, 00:04
At least 5 years and no less then 30 books is my guess. What i want to read about the most right now is the fate of the Istavaan III loyalists.

FabricatorGeneralMike
17-07-2010, 00:13
What I would like to see is the scouring, when the legions where broken apart and the chaos that was the Imperium post-heresy, I think there are ALOT of good stories in there.

Corax
17-07-2010, 02:28
It depend a lot on what they decide is part of the Heresy. Do they cover the aftermath, rebuilding (interment of the Emperor in the Golden Throne, etc.) and the reorganisation of the Space Marines, or do they finish it at the final showdown between the the Big E and Horus?

I would expect it to run to at least 30 books, but I don't know what kind of time-frame we are looking at. Knowing GW though, they will flog it for all its worth.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
17-07-2010, 05:20
Damn games workshop for making money, damn them to hell. :D

Simo429
17-07-2010, 06:04
Personally I think they have been going down hill since fulgrim probably but Im hoping for a resurgence with Prospero and the first heretic

Nemesis looks decent as well

tuebor
17-07-2010, 06:19
The one thing I really hope we don't see is a full description of what happens in the final battle between the Emperor and Horus. I'd prefer it remain a mystery.

That said, when they first started the HH series I was against it as I wanted the whole thing to remain mythic and uncertain, but I've come around because I've really enjoyed some of the books, Thousand Sons and Legion especially.

Simo429
17-07-2010, 06:40
The one thing I really hope we don't see is a full description of what happens in the final battle between the Emperor and Horus. I'd prefer it remain a mystery.

That said, when they first started the HH series I was against it as I wanted the whole thing to remain mythic and uncertain, but I've come around because I've really enjoyed some of the books, Thousand Sons and Legion especially.

Then you are most certainly going to be disappointed

It would be like Star Wars skipping between Luke arriving at Cloud City to hanging from the bottom or a tele aerial with only one hand

Commissar Davis
17-07-2010, 10:19
What I would like to see is the scouring, when the legions where broken apart and the chaos that was the Imperium post-heresy, I think there are ALOT of good stories in there. Wouldn't that be part of the Guiliman Heresy? The splitting of the Legions and his seizing of control of Imperial forces.

AndrewGPaul
17-07-2010, 10:49
And BL canīt publish filler-books indefinetely,

I thought that, then we got Battle for the Abyss, Mechanicum, Tales of Heresy and Nemesis.

You're 20 years too late to wish for that. The story of the final battle was written by Bill King and published in Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned and White Dwarf #129, then re-edited by Bryan Ansell and published again in Horus Heresy Collected Visions.

Eulenspiegel
17-07-2010, 11:09
I thought that, then we got Battle for the Abyss, Mechanicum, Tales of Heresy and Nemesis.

Yes of cause they published fillers, and theyīll be doing it in the future. Yet, thereīs a limit. They have to advance along the storyline, or people will stop buying the books. IMO.

Farseer Dave
17-07-2010, 19:13
Then you are most certainly going to be disappointed

It would be like Star Wars skipping between Luke arriving at Cloud City to hanging from the bottom or a tele aerial with only one hand

QFT.

We need that big ''I am Your father thing for the Horus Heresy''

Farseer Dave.

Baggers
17-07-2010, 19:35
I must admit that I am still against the Heresy series as a whole.I'd rather have the story as a mystery than told out as it is being done so. Legion and Flight of the Einstein were good and Tales of Heresy made a great read on a train back from London. The rest of the books have been average. I am not a big fan of Ben Counter's story telling and so his books have not read them. I am yet to read A Thousand Son's but I am not expecting to much of it.

I am looking forward to The First Heretic and Nemesis. Should be good stories. I rather they produced great stories than rushed book after book out.

tuebor
17-07-2010, 20:24

You're 20 years too late to wish for that. The story of the final battle was written by Bill King and published in Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned and White Dwarf #129, then re-edited by Bryan Ansell and published again in Horus Heresy Collected Visions.

Yeah, but there are several versions of it, which provides room for doubt.

Ramius4
17-07-2010, 22:30
There are like 5 or 6 books due out in the next year. And to answer your question "when will they finish"... They'll finish when the series stops earning them money.

Dead.Blue.Clown
17-07-2010, 22:42
There are like 5 or 6 books due out in the next year. And to answer your question "when will they finish"... They'll finish when the series stops earning them money.

Sometimes, this place... Jesus.

Would anyone like a real answer, or will this tedious accusation just keep coming over and over and over?

Garanaul the Black
17-07-2010, 23:23
Would anyone like a real answer,

Yes, please, if only to know approximately how much shelf space I'm going to have to produce.

G

DuskRaider
17-07-2010, 23:36

Would anyone like a real answer, or will this tedious accusation just keep coming over and over and over?

Welcome to Warseer, where the sarcasm far outweighs the useful information.

And BTW, if they do a Night Lords HH book, I'd hope you're writing it... your work on Soul Hunter was amazing.

Eulenspiegel
17-07-2010, 23:38

Hey, itīs the internetz, people try to come across as jaded as possible :cool:

Any info would be very welcome :)
As Iīve written above, BL canīt stretch the series as long as they like, and the little optimist in me hopes that they wouldnīt try to (because of professional pride perhaps). .

AndrewGPaul
18-07-2010, 00:01
Yeah, but there are several versions of it, which provides room for doubt.

Of the three I mentioned, two are identical and the third differs only in detail (some extra descriptive passages of Horus' ship, and the Imperial Fist Terminator becomes a Custodian. Not a lot of doubt there. :)

Chem-Dog
18-07-2010, 02:29

You build up a certain resistance to it after a while ;)

Personally I'm busting a gut waiting for some real BA action. And some significant Dorn shenanigans too.

And after the anthology book, I could happily read a Custodes spin-off series.

Oh and a book that tells us exactly what the Emp's plan was and how he let it get so spectacularly FUBAR, cos at the moment it kinda reads like he's a little incompetant.

Lord Lorne Walkier
24-08-2010, 04:25
You build up a certain resistance to it after a while ;)

Personally I'm busting a gut waiting for some real BA action. And some significant Dorn shenanigans too.

And after the anthology book, I could happily read a Custodes spin-off series.

Oh and a book that tells us exactly what the Emp's plan was and how he ...

/agree.
Im not use to it. I do try to breath it threw a mask.

Can i add some more Heresy era, World Eaters to the wish list?

Deff Mekz
27-08-2010, 14:53
i think the series will continue for at least another 3 years. I just hope Aaron, Dan, Graham and James are the only writers to touch the rest of the series. I have hated the books by all of the other authors. Shudders at GIF and BftA.

Garanaul the Black
28-08-2010, 02:27
Shudders at GIF and BftA.

BftA and DoA both rung a little off-key in comparison to the others IMHO, they just didn't grab my attention.

I do hope there is at least three more years in the works, I'm really enjoying having them around for some light entertainment in juxtaposition to all of my school texts.

G

Toramino
30-08-2010, 00:58
For a while yet. Black Library and GW seem reluctant to cut straight to the core of the story and pump out boring garbage in between major plotpoints. They have also said they're going to do ''the harrowing'' or something similar which is the period after the seige of terra.

Dead.Blue.Clown
30-08-2010, 14:34
For a while yet. Black Library and GW seem reluctant to cut straight to the core of the story and pump out boring garbage in between major plotpoints. They have also said they're going to do ''the harrowing'' or something similar which is the period after the seige of terra.

Such delicious missing-the-pointness.

Scribe of Khorne
30-08-2010, 18:03
I dont understand how people can complain about having the greater story told. Personally, there is little more interesting then the Emp, his Sons, and the whole interaction from start to finish. If I had my way there would be even more books, trilogies about separate crusades, the discovery of the primarchs, the wholeeeeeeeee thing. Full disclosure.

Nice review you got there on that book ADB, cant wait till I can pick it up.

BlackLegion
30-08-2010, 18:33
Just started Nemesis. Seems to be a Horus Heresy novel without Space Marines. Thats refreshing. :)

Vassakov
30-08-2010, 20:02
Well, taking Collected Visions as a starting point (and this is very, very loose) I'd say we should get a Signus Cluster novel (possibly duology), the Iron Warriors fall (sacking of Olympia and the fallout), Calth (again, maybe a duology in style of Prospero Burns/A Thousand Son's?) something on the Night Lords, although between ADB's Soul Hunter and the audiobook from a while ago they've been fairly well done.

On top of this, a tie up to the Dark Angels series, a sequel to Legion would be welcome.

And then we've got the trilogy for the Siege of Terra itself, followed by any post heresy/Scouring novels.

All in all... as long as they continue with the general standard of novels I'll be rather happy with that little lot!

Scribe of Khorne
30-08-2010, 23:04
If World Eaters dont get a book, and the glory of breaching the walls on terra, ill never buy another BL book again. :p

Hunger
31-08-2010, 00:30
I dont understand how people can complain about having the greater story told. Personally, there is little more interesting then the Emp, his Sons, and the whole interaction from start to finish. If I had my way there would be even more books, trilogies about separate crusades, the discovery of the primarchs, the wholeeeeeeeee thing. Full disclosure.

I agree. "Cutting to the core"' is not what the HH series is about - we all know what happens in the end, nobody should be surprised at any point because we all know the overarching story. If the BL authors did what Toramino's post implies and covered just the "major plotpoints" of the Heresy, we'd all be complaining that we knew it all beforehand and that the books were crap because they added nothing to the existing background.

I'm certainly disappointed with the actual writing of some books in the series (the obvious ones, no need to repeat them), but they add necessary depth and context to the other books in the series, and help to flesh out the events unfolding on centre-stage. The story of the Heresy is the defining element of the entire 40K universe, and I for one hope every aspect of it is covered in exhaustive detail.

Toramino
31-08-2010, 04:00
I agree. "Cutting to the core"' is not what the HH series is about - we all know what happens in the end, nobody should be surprised at any point because we all know the overarching story. If the BL authors did what Toramino's post implies and covered just the "major plotpoints" of the Heresy, we'd all be complaining that we knew it all beforehand and that the books were crap because they added nothing to the existing background.

I'm certainly disappointed with the actual writing of some books in the series (the obvious ones, no need to repeat them), but they add necessary depth and context to the other books in the series, and help to flesh out the events unfolding on centre-stage. The story of the Heresy is the defining element of the entire 40K universe, and I for one hope every aspect of it is covered in exhaustive detail.

I can definitely see your point and agree with it, but you also cannot argue that books like Battle for the Abyss, Tales of Heresy or even the Dark Angels triolgy add anything to the overall storyline of the heresy other than padding it out. All im saying is that if BL is going to cover the event in depth they should add some relevant and interesting stories, not generic stuff that could be an average 40k novel, which IMO is all that has happened between fulgrim and a thousand sons (with the exception of mechanicum possibly).

narrativium
31-08-2010, 08:06
but you also cannot argue that books like Battle for the Abyss, Tales of Heresy or even the Dark Angels triolgy add anything to the overall storyline of the heresy other than padding it out. All im saying is that if BL is going to cover the event in depth they should add some relevant and interesting stories, Wait, are these stories padding stuff out or adding relevant and interesting stories?

Your mileage may vary on whether you liked the stories, but during that 'padding phase' we saw the Emperor wipe out religion on Earth, set up Mars as the keystone of the Imperium millennia before he joined Terra with it, steal Angron from his homeworld, avoid assassination attempts on Caliban and Terra, and turn all the defences of Terra to Rogal Dorn. We saw the origin of the Lectitio Divinitatus which caused so many problems during the first trilogy, and the reach of Horus in bringing the largest battleship the Imperium ever constructed and immense siege engines into his war on the Emperor. We saw turning points for Alpharius and Lion El'Jonson. We saw the schism between four Legions - a Thousand Son trying to clear his name in the aftermath of Nikaea, an Ultramarine and a Space Wolf fighting over what's honourable and what's right, and a World Eater whose temperament endangers their attempt to stop the destruction of a whole Legion. We saw the future that the Cabal are hoping for, for all their sakes, and we saw a future so horrific that someone attempted time travel to prevent it.

So define 'filler' for me please. Eighteen Legions, the Emperor, assorted fractured or disgruntled factions within the Imperium, various disunited alien races including some we've never seen before, the infinite corruption of Chaos, the last remnants of old cultures and the first stirrings of many forces who won't come into play for ten millennia - we're not going to see all that if we stick with Horus the whole time.

Hunger
31-08-2010, 11:09
This is precisely what I meant - that 'padding/filler' is the backdrop to the main storyline, and though I got rather bored while reading Battle For The Abyss that is the fault of Ben Counter for writing it in a way that did not agree with my sense of what makes a gripping book. The actual events that occur in the book are outside of that consideration, and help me better understand the standpoints of the various factions ten millenia down the line.

Scribe of Khorne
31-08-2010, 15:47
The last Church, and After Desh'ea were worth the price of Tales of the Heresy on their own to me. Mechanicum was also an interesting story.

Its the same issue I have with movie critics. Not every movie needs to speak to some higher purpose, some things are meant to just be entertainment. :p

Nazguire
02-09-2010, 02:00
As long as the filler isn't hindering the story, I don't mind. It's all stuff for me to read, and I've enjoyed every Heresy novel so far.

There are still pivotal parts that we need to explore, not including the obvious battles like Signus and Tallarn.

I still want a more detailed description of the actions of the Death Guard. So much potential there.
- A book on the World Eaters fall to Khorne. They didn't seem to be in Khorne's thrall by Istvaan. (Well, maybe Kharn). How were they perverted to worship a God when Angron's whole angle is never to be a slave again?
-Perturabo's fall from grace. Not him going to Olympia, but his whole story on how he felt so looked over for glory and appreciation when paired with Dorn. Was it Perturabo merely being a bitter bastard, or was Dorn to blame also?
-Horus learning fully what he's bargained with. Does he fully embrace it or does he begin to fear he's unleashed something that even he can't control?

And more. Maybe some more short stories, not necessarily whole novels.