PDA

View Full Version : Ordo Mechanicus?

barrangas
16-07-2010, 15:34
Does the AdMech have anything for dealing with blasphemous technology like the Inquisition? I'm curious as the AdMech seems very insular and possibly more willing to dabble into advanced "machine spirits" (AGI) then the Imperium would approve. So does the AdMech police their own or do you think it's possible for the Imperium to have an Inquisitorial branch dedicated to dealing with blasphemous technology? Or does the Ordo Xenos already handle this?

MajorWesJanson
16-07-2010, 16:00
The Adeptus Mechanicus does have an internal affairs group. Can't think of where it shows up, though the usual suspets come to mind: Mechanicum, Titanicus, Dark Adeptus. I think Legacy brings it up somewhat as well. Wish I could be more specific, but I can't remember off hand.

Lord Damocles
16-07-2010, 17:16
'Further it is rumoured that the Panopticon's rulers are members of a secret order known as the Lords Dragon, an ancient and powerful cabal of Archmagos tasked with policing the Mechanicus itself and keeping it free from corruption and techno-heresy.'
Dark Heresy: The Inquisitor's Handbook, pg.136

barrangas
16-07-2010, 17:51
'Further it is rumoured that the Panopticon's rulers are members of a secret order known as the Lords Dragon, an ancient and powerful cabal of Archmagos tasked with policing the Mechanicus itself and keeping it free from corruption and techno-heresy.'
Dark Heresy: The Inquisitor's Handbook, pg.136

I bet that gets hauled out a lot for support of Necrons corrupting the AdMech :D.

It would surprise me if it was only the top ranks though. I can't imagine that they'd go and look into whether some tech marine was doing something he shouldn't on a distant world or such.

Weaver
16-07-2010, 18:25
I read the title of this thread and imagined a minor Ordo of the Imperial Inquisition dedicated to monitoring the Adeptus Mechanicus, just like the Ordo Sicarius monitors and polices the activities of the Officio Assassinorum. Which would be very, very, very awesome, although may overlap somewhat with the domain of the Ordo Hereticus. Regardless, I'm now fantasizing about EMP Cannon-armed Inquisitors and their Mentat-type personal assistants, recruiting hackers, data miners, and close-combat warriors who use simple, redundant technology to ensure that their weapons and systems cannot be used against them by Mechanicus technological trickery. I may need to convert up some of these guys :D

Tangents aside, Lord Damocles has the only reference I know of. I can be almost assured that there exists some internal mechanicus police force. I have no doubt that the Tech Assassins mentioned in Graham McNeil's Mechanicum, or his short storey The Kaban Machine, play a major support role to this organization, as is somewhat pointed to in the books themselves.

I'mma go convert up some members of the Ordo Ludditus, the Watchers of the Mechanicus. Maybe one of them will be in the act of bashing a loom into pieces...

Lord Damocles
16-07-2010, 18:34
I'm now fantasizing about EMP Cannon-armed Inquisitors and their Mentat-type personal assistants, recruiting hackers, data miners, and close-combat warriors...
*Looks over at pile of Inquisitor-scale Tech Priest bits*

Oh my.

:D

Ordo Hydra
17-07-2010, 12:21
Sorry for late commenting on this but just read it so... anyway I don't recall any mention of any policing body within the Adeptus Mechanicus or indeed the Inquisition that monitors the Tech-Priests of Mars. The Dark Heresy RPG mentions the Lords Dragon (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lords_Dragon) but little else is known about them. In "Dark Adeptus" a loyal Tech-Priest sent to Chaeronia only to discover Tech-Heresy and that the Forge World was filled with individuals loyal to the Dark Mechanicus threatened to bring a Diagonistic Coven (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Diagnostic_Coven) to purge it. The Dark Heresy RPG also says that Secutors of the Auxilia Myrmidon (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Auxilia_Myrmidon) are often dispatched to hunt down renegade Tech-Priests.

On the Officio Assassonorium front, I think the reason why there is a specific Ordo to monitor them is because of their actions during the Age of Apostasy I think. Dark Heresy says that any Tech-Heresy involves joint operations with the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Ordo Hereticus. Mind you, I wouldnt put it past the Inquisition to make a special Ordo to watch the Mechanicus just in case....

Thats about all I know.. hope that helps :p

EDIT: On the "Mechanicum" front, as mentioned there were those Tech-Assassins called the Sisters of Cydonia but they were hardly enforcing Mechanicum law in the novel. There was the case that Dalia Cythera being arrested and taken by Mechanicum Protectors to Koriel Zeth though.

barrangas
17-07-2010, 22:31
So from what Ordo Hydra provided it would seem that there would be an internal form of Inquisition in the form of the Diagnostic Coven and, more then likely, a branch within the Ordo Hereticus specializing in Technological Heresy at the very least. It would be interesting to see the threats they have to deal with represented in game and background.

Ordo Hydra
18-07-2010, 06:49
So from what Ordo Hydra provided it would seem that there would be an internal form of Inquisition in the form of the Diagnostic Coven and, more then likely, a branch within the Ordo Hereticus specializing in Technological Heresy at the very least. It would be interesting to see the threats they have to deal with represented in game and background.

Well not so much a branch of the Ordo Hereticus but just that Ordo in general since it deals with internal dissent as such. An example of one such Tech-Heresy in the Dark Heresy RPG is the Malygrisian Tech-Heresy (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Malygrisian_Tech_Heresy) where both the Adeptus Mechancius and Inquisition intervened to stop the leader of the cult.

On the Diagonistic Coven front, I think it might just possibly be an AdMech term for their version of a kill-team as such. Sadly, Dark Adeptus didnt really specify what a Diagonistic Coven consisted of and whether it was an actual division or a cadre sent into the field.

Personally, I'm hoping that the boys in Fantasy Flight Games give us an Adeptus Mechanicus Sourcebook that answers such questions :D

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-07-2010, 09:16
I'm sure the Inquisition watched the Adeptus Mechanicus but since the Mechanicus is an allied state rather than just another Imperial department they technically shouldn't really have any jurisdiction over them and I can't imagine they would be very welcome on Forgeworlds and the like. It's a bit like Inquisitors and Space Marines. They can bring some sanctions to bear but it's not nearly as straight forward as it is in other places and you will have to step very carefully if you want to do something.

Aside from that I would rather imagine that most Inquisitors just doesn't care overly much about the finer technical details that might get the AdMechs worked up in to a holy rage so they probably wouldn't be the best body to have police them anyway.

TheRedAngel
18-07-2010, 10:19
Well, we know of at least one story telling us of inquisitors in the AM: GT's 'Deus ex Mechanicus'

But these don't seem to be official liaisons, rather deep cover agents/inquisitors of the inquisition monitoring the AM.

MarcoSkoll
18-07-2010, 13:03
This has been discussed on The Conclave forums a couple of times.

Long story short, the AdMech do not appreciate outside interference. While it's possible to imagine single Inquisitors or possibly small cabals, the idea of there actually being enough Inquisitors to form an actual Ordo is far less likely.

The fact is, the idea of an "Ordo Astartes" makes more sense. While pissing off a Space Marine Chapter Master by poking your nose into their affairs is a bad thing, the AdMech are much less shy about making Inquisitors disappear, and their monopoly on technology means that the withdrawal of their support is a much more serious issue. (In comparison, the Astartes are not the only military force of the Imperium - regardless of GW's marketing strategy.)

Need your spaceship fixing? Sorry, you pissed off the entire AdMech when they found out that you were part of an Ordo which got in the way of their independence - so, your request has been lost in the system. For the thirty-eighth time.

Individual investigations of a Techpriest are one thing. As are individual Inquisitors who dedicate their time to nosing around in the AdMech's business. But as far as a dedicated Ordo, I think it would be seen as too great a risk, and any Inquisitors with shared goals would work secretly, without the structure "Ordo" implies.

barrangas
18-07-2010, 14:20
My thought would be that there are different groups of Inquisitors in Hereticus to deal with certain troublesome organizations like AdMech or SM. Think of it like vice or homocide in a police department. They are trained to handle all the problems that come the Ordo's way but specialize in those areas.

Weaver
18-07-2010, 15:00
yes, but Marco makes an excellent point. The alliance between Mars and Terra is...tenuous... at best.

FabricatorGeneralMike
18-07-2010, 19:32
Well, after what Thaddus did to Pharos, I don't think the Ad-Mech are 'playing-nice' with the =][= anymore :shifty:

If in doubt, make your own up. I think any interinal affair Ad-mech group would be ad-hoc and gathered up to deal with specific threats.

I see a group thats dedicated to rooting out tech-heresy, but I don't think they have a standing army. I would think they would just request troops and purge out the heritic, why involve outside people when the ad-mech are famiously insular?

Chem-Dog
18-07-2010, 21:00
.....Mentat-type personal assistants Isn't this what we're told savants are like anyway?

I'mma go convert up some members of the Ordo Ludditus, the Watchers of the Mechanicus. Maybe one of them will be in the act of bashing a loom into pieces...

Data loom?

Long story short, the AdMech do not appreciate outside interference. While it's possible to imagine single Inquisitors or possibly small cabals, the idea of there actually being enough Inquisitors to form an actual Ordo is far less likely.

Other than the 3 big ones, Ordo is a fairly loose term.

Personally, I can see both an Inquisitorial concern and an Adeptus Mecanicus body both working along the same broad concern, of course this would be an issue of Inernal Organisational olicing Vs an External Investigative Authority. That's not to say the two would work in concert though and I could see the Mechanicus invesigators actively impeding any Inquisiorial snooping.
Again, this presumes on fairly polite Inquisiors who don't just roll in and shoot whoever gets in the way.