PDA

View Full Version : Gandalf's Cart on Sneak Peek

rkunisch
27-05-2005, 14:53
There is a sneak peek of Gandalf's cart on the GW UK website.

It is really a lovely model. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

Baggers
27-05-2005, 16:15
it is quite nice i must admit.

Brandir
27-05-2005, 16:36
Do we know when it will be released?

rkunisch
27-05-2005, 16:40
Do we know when it will be released?
Unfortunately I have no idea. :( I just hope that he will be on general release and not some promo piece.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Great Harlequin
27-05-2005, 16:49
Originally it was made for Peter Jackson (I think) and a few other important people. They have redone it and made it bigger as the original was too small and flimsy.

Edit: It doesn't look too much different from the original.

Cypher
27-05-2005, 19:01
Link here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/thelordoftherings/default.htm) ;)

Very nice model. Cant see a huge amount of gaming potential, but I like it a lot.

Brandir
27-05-2005, 19:08
I'll buy it like I buy all the models (well, except SKODA and Haradrim - the only crap models in the range so far. Oh, and Radagast as well.)

Baggers
27-05-2005, 19:51
I will buy it and add it to my collection of unpainted models.

rkunisch
27-05-2005, 19:55
I will buy it and add it to my collection of unpainted models.
Yeah, me too. He is certainly a must-have. Maybe he will get a high priority slot in my painting list - who knows... He would certainly make a great sight in my glass cabinet. :D

Ruleswise, I cannot think about much more than an ambush scenario. After the initial assault you would replace him by a model on foot.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Baggers
28-05-2005, 20:32
I would say its more of display piece than a gaming piece Rkunisch.

Great Harlequin
28-05-2005, 21:33
Yes, I agree Baggers. I have a cabinet specially reserved for display pieces :D

All the bestest,

salty
29-05-2005, 18:41
I'm seeing... spikes... blades... a hire horse instead of a pony...

Gandalf in a chariot!

Salty :)

boogle
29-05-2005, 19:23
i'm sure the cart is going to be in the Mines of Moria boxed set

Baggers
29-05-2005, 22:39
I dont think that the cart will be in the Mines of Moria as it really is not very useful in terms of begginer gamers learning to play the game if they have a Gandalf the Grey in cart with its own special rules to use as well.

Great Harlequin
30-05-2005, 11:47
I dont think that the cart will be in the Mines of Moria as it really is not very useful in terms of begginer gamers learning to play the game if they have a Gandalf the Grey in cart with its own special rules to use as well.
Agreed. But I do doubt that it will have rules as such.

Baggers
30-05-2005, 15:18
As I said in an earlier post in this thread Great Harlequin I expect to see it as a collectors piece, like the sitting Gimili and the dying Boromir.

Great Harlequin
30-05-2005, 18:31
As I said in an earlier post in this thread Great Harlequin I expect to see it as a collectors piece, like the sitting Gimili and the dying Boromir.
Indeed. Games Workshop are trying to pull all the strings they can from the LOTR lisence. Though on a more sour note this is apparantly becoming more difficult. But yes a collectors piece.

Brandir
30-05-2005, 19:07
Great Harlequin, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you expand?

Thanks.

Baggers
30-05-2005, 19:18
I think he means that Games Workshop is trying to get every penny out of the LOTR market as they can. And I can see his point, though I do not agree, and it is nice to see GW doing some display pieces as nice as the models are that is something I would like to display.

Though I wonder who scuptled it?

Brandir
30-05-2005, 19:24
Thanks Baggers, I understand now.

There is nothing wrong with trying to squeeze every penny out of the LOTR licence if it means continued production of display models. Personally I think GW and all wargames companies try and get every penny out of every line/licence they hold. GW is just more successful than all the other manufacturers!

Baggers
30-05-2005, 19:35
No probs Brandir, I think that if Games Workshop do begin to branch out, I would love to have models of varyious things, a display Balrog would be nice, as the one we have is rather pratical in terms of gaming but when you want something to display it lacks something that the limited edition Sideshow one had.

rkunisch
30-05-2005, 22:33
I think they should indeed do more display/collectors/common minis. I think a lot of people like to display their figures. I for one would be highly interested in such a range as I am more of a painter than of gamer (I still lack oponents and/or time :().

Have fun,

Rolf.

Brandir
31-05-2005, 08:13
I understand that many people only collect and paint the minis without gaming.

I too would like to see more 'diorama' minis, perhaps like the diorama packs that Mithril do.

Shadowheart
31-05-2005, 08:14
Great model, first of all, I trust the fireworks are in the back. If you just add cart tracks and high grass to the base it'll be just like the opening of the film.

I agree wholeheartedly that GW should make more display models. I know it's hard for them to accept miniatures that aren't holding weapons (the Ringwraiths on Fellbeasts for example would've looked better without them), but there's so much more in Middle-Earth and in the story than fighting.

I'd love to have a series of boxed sets for display purposes, representing particular scenes in the movie/book. The Prancing Pony scene, for example. Butterbur, Strider hooded on a chair, Hobbits sitting with a pint, Peter Jackson with a carrot... you get the idea. There's so much stuff they could do... the Golden Hall when Gandalf frees Théoden, the Grey Havens scene, Bilbo's birthday party, the coronation of Elessar and of course the Council of Elrond.

And then there's a lot of smaller things they could do, like the second breakfast scene, the birth of Lurtz, the Orcs arguing over eating Merry and Pippin, Smeagol and Deagol in their boat, the pyre of Denethor, the Hobbits drinking in the Green Dragon, Sam and Rosie's marriage and the final shot of Sam's family.

I'd also be interested in miniatures of characters that don't appear in combat and characters in different costumes. Arwen and Eowyn in their many dresses are the most important ones there. This would offer welcome variation to painters, since most everyone in Middle-Earth seems to be wearing brown and green.

If we could get one major box for one of the aforementioned scene and one or two blisters with either dress variants or little vignettes per year, I'd be quite happy. This Gandalf's cart model is at least a step in the right direction and I hope it'll sell well. Of course battles will always be where GW's focus is, but this is more a game for fans of the Lord of the Rings in general than for people that only like miniature wargaming.

Brandir
31-05-2005, 08:17
I would also like to see many more weaponless minis as they will be very useful for RPGs in Middle-earth.

You see I am still hoping GW/BI pick up the RPG licence after Decipher drop it next year!

rkunisch
31-05-2005, 11:16
I would love to see a diorama of the The Green Dragen or The Prancing Pony.

Maybe we should try to suggest this to Games Workshop? I mean, if we prepare it nicely, print it on common paper and send it via snail-mail to Lenton we may put a bug into someones brain. :p

Have fun,

Rolf.

Hlokk
31-05-2005, 11:23
I cant help thinking GW is running out of ideas fast.

The models nice, but lets be honest, whats the point?

Shadowheart
31-05-2005, 11:36
That's exactly the point, the models are nice. What more of a point do miniatures ever have? They provide enjoyment, they don't fulfil any primary needs. I don't get how people will only buy miniatures if it's got a use in the game, since if gaming counters is all they are to you you're wasting huge amounts of money.

But yes, perhaps we should suggest this to GW... odds are someone there has already thought of this idea, but maybe confirming that there is interest in these kinds of models will help.

Oliver
31-05-2005, 14:12
But think about it if GW started to make models for diaromas for LOTR there would be an outcry that they are wasting there time when they could be making more models for the actual fighting of the game.

Brandir
31-05-2005, 15:42
Who cares what the naysayers think? There is a core of people who criticise anything that GW does regarding LOTR - they seem to think that LOTR is taking resources away from their favourite line, whether it be WHFB or WH40K.

Baggers
31-05-2005, 17:56
If they were to do a range of detailed diaroma peices, I wish they would do it in 54mm scale as it gives them the ability to make even better models. Plus we could have hobbits that look like the actor.

By the way I would say the first diaroma they should do is the four hobbits hiding under the tree and the Ringwraith perched over sniffing them out.

The boyz
31-05-2005, 20:36
That is a pretty good minature, but is there really much point to it.

Shadowheart
01-06-2005, 06:42
But think about it if GW started to make models for diaromas for LOTR there would be an outcry that they are wasting there time when they could be making more models for the actual fighting of the game.

It doesn't matter what GW does for LotR, there will always be whining. I don't think GW cares much, it doesn't matter how many people don't buy the minis, it matters how many people do.

they were to do a range of detailed diaroma peices, I wish they would do it in 54mm scale as it gives them the ability to make even better models. Plus we could have hobbits that look like the actor.

54mm LotR miniatures would be interesting, but that'd make things very expensive and time consuming. I'd rather GW do a larger range of display pieces that will look good with the main gaming range. But perhaps a smaller line of 54mm models would have potential, featuring more important characters like the members of the Fellowship.

That is a pretty good minature, but is there really much point to it.

*twitches*

You can collect it, you can paint it, you can display it. That is plenty of point. If that doesn't count as a point, using it in a game used by adults as an excuse to play with toy soldiers isn't a point either.

rkunisch
01-06-2005, 09:51
It doesn't matter what GW does for LotR, there will always be whining. I don't think GW cares much, it doesn't matter how many people don't buy the minis, it matters how many people do.

Amen.

54mm LotR miniatures would be interesting, but that'd make things very expensive and time consuming. I'd rather GW do a larger range of display pieces that will look good with the main gaming range. But perhaps a smaller line of 54mm models would have potential, featuring more important characters like the members of the Fellowship.

I think that would clash with other merchandise. If you think about Weta and their (painted) figurine range such a product range would certainly overlap. I am with you that they should do them on the current scale of minis, though.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Shadowheart
01-06-2005, 10:28
Yeah, it's quite possible that they couldn't do larger miniatures for licensing reasons... maybe they can't even do a display model range in 25mm, although that seems unlikely.
While Sideshow/Weta's statues are a whole lot bigger (1/6 scale) there's also these (http://www.lotr-models.co.uk/) models that seem pretty close to 54mm scale.

Oliver
01-06-2005, 13:34
If they were to do a range of detailed diaroma peices, I wish they would do it in 54mm scale as it gives them the ability to make even better models. Plus we could have hobbits that look like the actor.

By the way I would say the first diaroma they should do is the four hobbits hiding under the tree and the Ringwraith perched over sniffing them out.

Yes 54mm would be a good idea but for the first diaroma i bet they will be boring and do frodo on the edge of Mt. Doom more than likely.

Baggers
01-06-2005, 22:10
While Sideshow/Weta's statues are a whole lot bigger (1/6 scale) there's also these (http://www.lotr-models.co.uk) models that seem pretty close to 54mm scale.

Your right quickly measured my Gandalf the White model that I was given it stands from base to tip of staff about 60mm, and stands a little bigger than my Inquisitor Eseinhorn conversion.

Axel
14-06-2005, 22:52
Not producing more display-miniatures might be a licence issue.

The only official licence for producing LOTR-minis is with Mithril (http://www.mithril.ie). Their range goes back to the late eighties and contains several hundred 32mm and around 50 54mm minis. Afaik the licence of GW was for Tabletop-minis for the game for the film, which was later expanded to characters and background not covered by the film.

Personally I am glad for any good mini, regardless the licence issue behind it. The Gandalf certainly is one of the better ones.