PDA

View Full Version : Will anyone else refuse to play against wood elves?

Harwammer
17-07-2010, 01:40
I don't think it will be fun to play against them..

Magic always made half their units bad. Now t3, no armour blocks will make the other half mince meat.

Wood elves were my favourite army. Now I don't want to play against them as they're simply a foregone conclusion (too weak).

Vandelan
17-07-2010, 01:48
Why would you do something like that? I think that type of attitude is rather insulting to Wood Elf players.

lelandchaska
17-07-2010, 01:51
I managed to convince a friend who plays DoC to play against my Wood Elves tomorrow. Maybe he is willing because he knows that it will likely be over by Turn 3. Then we can go back to playing DoC vs. WoC, a more entertaining match up.

Shiodome
17-07-2010, 01:53
i'm 3-0-0 with woodelves now. turns out a treeman, with bsb and lore of life backup is literally unstoppable. and t7 gladeguard are hilarious (i had a unit of 10 gg take a charge from a horde unit of khorne, GW marauders and win combat + kill off the mage over a few rounds of combat).

they rely a lot more on magic now, but the synergy between wood elves and lore of life is just scary.

for the record i ran with (2,500 points)

treeman ancient: cluster of radients
lvl 3 lore of life mage, wand of wych elm
noble: annoyance of nettlings, charmed shield, bane sword (this guy is hilarious in challenges and really cheap)
noble: bsb, armour piercing standard (forget the name of the banner, this guy in a large block of glade guard helps you scythe through chaos warriors)
lvl 1 mage, dispel scroll

20 glade guard (bsb here)
10 glade guard
18 eternal guard ('challenge' noble here)
5 glade riders
5 glade riders
10 dryads
3 treekin
treeman

was a shock to find out they killed treesinging completely (new bound spell rules), and the wood elf spell lore is just useless now. the glade riders have also been useless and will swap them for 2 units of dryads in future... high quality i6 attacks for low points cost is delicious. but it's really the stubborn treemen (and to a lesser extent eternal guard) kept around indefinately with lore of life that steal the show. alongside a really solid magic defence. anyway, you've no idea what you're on about, have fun letting your reactionary nature pre-ruin games for you i guess.

Witchblade
17-07-2010, 02:00
Seems like a silly attitude that benefits neither yourself or your opponent. You would be better served to just play with a soft list or use a comp system. I frequently allow opponents to use more points than I do when I know they're playing a soft army (list), e.g. 7th Ed OnG or a Khainite only list.

Ultimate Life Form
17-07-2010, 02:02
No, you're doing this wrong, it should be 'pla against Wood Elves'!

Cragum
17-07-2010, 02:03
i wouldnt say that they have been completely nerfed to high hell. hell i have got an ogres army who have never really had much power through the 7th edition, but hell they mean that a gamer has to be smarter with what they go.

at the end of the day you cant just say you dont want to battle someone cause their army is crap now. its a bigger insult than just sitting there laughing at the army book. i have yet to play a gamer who hasnt bought their army primarily because they love the background and the models and stuff themselves.

i knew full well when i bought my 3 armies what are O&Gs, skaven and Orges that i would be having the extremely bad luck no matter what. i could end up hurting myself at the expense of laughter.

no matter what an army will be now, at some point they end up being back to good old higher tier than they are. armies constantly evolve to basically beat the next its how it works.

give them their time and woodelves will be beasts again.

Sebavin
17-07-2010, 02:04
Yea I got admit that is kind of a extremely rude attitude. You are saying that you would not play against one of your friends if one of them played wood elves? That doesn't mean they aren't fun to play against it just mean you aren't fun to play against. To be honest with you, some should look at what they are saying before they post.

dooombot
17-07-2010, 02:11
Couldn't agree with you more Harwammer. In fact, I don't play against ANY army EVER. I just figure out in my head what'll happen, so there's no point in even having a match. Saves me alot of time and money. I don't even need miniatures!

Casshole
17-07-2010, 02:29
I think hes messing with you guys. Op sounds exactly like the whiner on the empire one. Sarcasm doesnt translate well in chatworld. altho Doombot does it well.

IF not, like previously stated WE are pretty sweet. Stick their units in a forest (skirmishers) and they are stubborn. Tah-dah!

And now they have a good reason to take a block of troops. Gasp.

I am very scared of Treeman plus lore of life. Plus with that sweet throne of vines or waht ahve you they will be IR with abandon.

Halelel
17-07-2010, 02:34
Couldn't agree with you more Harwammer. In fact, I don't play against ANY army EVER. I just figure out in my head what'll happen, so there's no point in even having a match. Saves me alot of time and money. I don't even need miniatures!

Hahaha, telepathy-hammer, it's the wave of the future kiddos!

And yes, the original post is mocking the whiny empire thread of a similar title. I don't think anyone seriously considers not playing someone because they are too weak (and I don't consider Wood Elves weak, rather just tough to play with)

lelandchaska
17-07-2010, 02:52
i'm 3-0-0 with woodelves now. turns out a treeman, with bsb and lore of life backup is literally unstoppable. and t7 gladeguard are hilarious (i had a unit of 10 gg take a charge from a horde unit of khorne, GW marauders and win combat + kill off the mage over a few rounds of combat).

they rely a lot more on magic now, but the synergy between wood elves and lore of life is just scary.

for the record i ran with (2,500 points)

treeman ancient: cluster of radients
lvl 3 lore of life mage, wand of wych elm
noble: annoyance of nettlings, charmed shield, bane sword (this guy is hilarious in challenges and really cheap)
noble: bsb, armour piercing standard (forget the name of the banner, this guy in a large block of glade guard helps you scythe through chaos warriors)
lvl 1 mage, dispel scroll

20 glade guard (bsb here)
10 glade guard
18 eternal guard ('challenge' noble here)
5 glade riders
5 glade riders
10 dryads
3 treekin
treeman

was a shock to find out they killed treesinging completely (new bound spell rules), and the wood elf spell lore is just useless now. the glade riders have also been useless and will swap them for 2 units of dryads in future... high quality i6 attacks for low points cost is delicious. but it's really the stubborn treemen (and to a lesser extent eternal guard) kept around indefinately with lore of life that steal the show. alongside a really solid magic defence. anyway, you've no idea what you're on about, have fun letting your reactionary nature pre-ruin games for you i guess.

What he fails to mention is that he did not have an opponent for those three games! He just sat his Wood Elf army on the table and they killed themselves... fell over dead.

Come on, guys, this thread is a joke, not to be taken seriously.

Speaking of jokes, Shiodome seems to be exaggerating on the badass-ness of Lore of Life. Are we to believe your opponent let you keep Throne of Vines the whole game, not bothering to roll some dispel or power dice to get the big whopping 8 to dispel that remains in play. Also, you managed to recast Flesh to Stone on your Eternal Guard every turn without your opponent dispelling it at all? Flesh to Stone only lasts until your wizards next magic phase. :angel:

najo
17-07-2010, 02:53
Until you play them and they get to play the army alot, how do you really know if the army is nerfed. There is already people finding ways to get them to play well. Experiment and explore the rules, there are alot of hidden gems within the wood elves still. Wardancers, eternal gaurd, dryads, treemen, treekin, wildriders all play fine right now. Glade guard and glade riders too... left them out :P

mr.kislev
17-07-2010, 02:57
Until you play them and they get to play the army alot, how do you really know if the army is nerfed. There is already people finding ways to get them to play well. Experiment and explore the rules, there are alot of hidden gems within the wood elves still. Wardancers, eternal gaurd, dryads, treemen, treekin, wildriders all play fine right now. Glade guard and glade riders too... left them out :P

Its a joke in response to that empire thread.

ivrg
17-07-2010, 06:53
I dont think the WE lore is useless. You can still hurt enemy units with treesinging or move your own troops with it. Also if you put a forest in the way of a chariot, cav or inf unit they will loose from moving through it or being inside the forest. Dangeorous terrain tests.

I have just played one game with my WE in 8th ed and i found treekins in big units to rock. i ran 2 units of 8 treekins in each and that is 24 attacks + 4 impact hits in the end. 28 attacks.

spiderman5z
17-07-2010, 06:54
ill play them to get back at them for sniping my hierophant in turn two... grrrrrr -_-

RanaldLoec
17-07-2010, 07:00
I have two armies empire which by all accounts is too broken to play against LOL.
And wood elfs even bigger LOL

I might start a demon army their well balanced and popular to play against arn't they?

AFnord
17-07-2010, 09:45
What people don't really seem to understand is that WE has changed into an entirely different type of entity. Gone are the days when wild riders & wardancers rules the battlefield, here is the days when glade guards, treekin & treemen rule the field! (Alright, treemen have always been great...). Nerfed? Yes, slightly. Worthless? Only if you try to play your 7th edition army in 8th edition.

wizbix
17-07-2010, 10:08
Walking trees and pesky tree huggers deserve to be burnt down or chopped up. Well thats what my Goblins tell me anyway!

Razhem
17-07-2010, 10:31
Disclaimer: I know this is a joke response thread to the empire one ;)

Anyway, Wood elves have been castrated in a lot of their options, but their ability to run and gun seems to me like it's gone trough the roof. They will still be able to compete to a degree, though I believe it will mostly be in an infuriating mage/arrow spam with some treefolk to keep the units honest. Not like I'm blaming the WE player, they aren't precisely spoilt with choices at the moment

BigbyWolf
17-07-2010, 10:45
I think Eternal Guard are going to be awesome in the new edition.

Minsc
17-07-2010, 10:46
10/10 Harwammer, you fooled quite alot of guys. :P

PeG
17-07-2010, 10:51
I play WE as my main army and yes they do suffer significantly in the current version of things. The main issue is that skirmishers got hit in combination with true line of sight.

Wild riders and wardancers are no longer competitive and dryads took a big hit from skirmisher rules. This means that our main combat units are now treekin and treeman. Unfortunately true line of sight in combination with new rules for woods (not stopping cannonballs while fences do :confused:) means that these units die really fast against cannons and other shooting.

sure several units like wild riders, glade riders etc still have uses but we pay a very high point cost for what they can do at the moment.

This leaves glade guard spam together with a lvl4 that actually now has a access to a good lore and some various supporting units.

Urgat
17-07-2010, 11:03
Wood elves? I think there was mentions of things like that on the pages of the rulebook I used to make banners for my wolfriders...

PARTYCHICORITA
17-07-2010, 12:38
i wouldn't play against a WE player more than once. That was my attitude about ogres as well back in 7th; i would meet someone, play him, see his take on the army, beat him, then never play him again.

The game is just less exciting for me (and still a lot of work) to play vs an underpower army.

Grimstonefire
17-07-2010, 12:43
If both players agree that one army is 'weak', you guys really need to start getting inventive... Why not try some of the new scenarios in the book?

Or maybe, if push comes to shove, reduce the non-WE army by 10-15% and see what happens?

Refusing to play someone because you are too lazy to be imaginative is just lame, and a real shame for the person who spent lots of time and money building a WE army.

If someone beat my army once, then declared it was too weak and refused to play me again, it would be absolutely hilarious. I'd have a good laugh about that, and gladly never play them again.

Shiodome
17-07-2010, 13:57
What he fails to mention is that he did not have an opponent for those three games! He just sat his Wood Elf army on the table and they killed themselves... fell over dead.

Come on, guys, this thread is a joke, not to be taken seriously.

Speaking of jokes, Shiodome seems to be exaggerating on the badass-ness of Lore of Life. Are we to believe your opponent let you keep Throne of Vines the whole game, not bothering to roll some dispel or power dice to get the big whopping 8 to dispel that remains in play. Also, you managed to recast Flesh to Stone on your Eternal Guard every turn without your opponent dispelling it at all? Flesh to Stone only lasts until your wizards next magic phase. :angel:

well you rather missed the point of lore of life, no i had to recast throne of vines every turn and every time i did i regained a wound on the treeman tying up his scary stuff. repeat casting the same spell is practically a bonus. also no, flesh to stone was cast on glade guard not eternal guard and it was cast twice (4 combat phases).

it's always been a central part of the wood elve play book to assasinate enemy mages, and it's not that hard to get late game (i.e once combat starts) magical dominance. i've found it easier to assasinate mages in the 3 games i've played as they're more and more in infantry blocks. before i had to suicide alter nobles to get the job done (chasing mages on discs etc), now i can just use dryads.

nothing i've said is far fetched or exaggerated, it's all pretty much normal wood elf gameplay but with a better magic lore behind it.

Zurubbu
17-07-2010, 14:49
I had not seen the empire thread before people posted about it so i was first like "Wtf! when did Harwammer become a whiner!"

lol

gogs78
17-07-2010, 18:11
How anyone can say wood elves arent completely screwed is beyond me.

ChaosTicket
17-07-2010, 21:17
I am mixed as I like the IDEA of wood elves but in practice they have crappy armor, their "forest Spirits hav bad speed, no artillery, no "heavy cavalry".

I dont think I could salvage them, as if you are a wood elf player you accept and love the high speed, masses of longbows, etc.

Me I see them getting beaten unless everything works favorably for them, like summoning woods, not getting hit by artillery, etc.

edition wise, have then even had an update since 6th edition?

AFnord
17-07-2010, 22:10
How anyone can say wood elves arent completely screwed is beyond me.
How anyone can say that wood elves are completely screwed is beyond me ;) As a wood elf player myself, I'll simply have to find ways around the problem, and focus on the units that still are good (there are enough to build decent armies). Wood elves seem to have gone the way of dark eldar in 40k: Still viable (and still potentially very strong), but very limited in possible lists. If someone knows that he/she will go up against WE, and thus has the chance to tailor his/her list, then they will suffer quite a lot, but in a more open environment, where people don't tailor lists, WE can still put up a good fight. Glade guards are better than they used to be.

They seem as good as they used to be to me.
The problem with WE is that they lost a lot of their fast close combat hitting power, so they are forced to rely more on archers than before. The wood elves of old are gone, say hi to the more shooty and more tree-based WE armies.

Sotek
17-07-2010, 23:00
Good to know that WE are rubbish in 8E. Saves me buying a 45 rulebook

This means that our main combat units are now treekin and treeman

Guess what crappily sculpted minis weren't selling ?

This kind of craic is pretty bad for GeeDub :(

AFnord
17-07-2010, 23:29
I'm certain that the treeman was selling quite well (for a big monster at least)...

lelandchaska
18-07-2010, 01:14
Wood Elves are like competitors in the Special Olympics, they are not competitive at all when compared to normal folk, but everyone really wants to see them do well.

By the by, I think my Highborne has down syndrome.

orlanth1000
18-07-2010, 02:26
Well I'm picking WE will be vastly different in the next book, I would say look for the return of the spear wielding glade guard.

solkan
18-07-2010, 02:38
The last time that I played against Wood Elves, I started out by offering to give his units real ward saves instead of that silly "against everything but magic" save.

As a Daemon player, it was the least I could do. ;)

HannibalSW
18-07-2010, 05:13
I won't play against wood elves because my wood elves refuse to kill their forest brethren! :angel:

Sebavin
18-07-2010, 05:52
Damn you Harwammer you made me feel like a jack*** :p
The only response I have is that I actualy know someone who says stuff that you posted
I.E- To weak no fun to play cause they die to easy .ETC.

Maoriboy007
18-07-2010, 07:21
Just considering...

Big ass unit of 30+ bowmen (volley fire)
Big ass unit of Dryads in your obligatory forest, now steadfast.

Its a good start.

scar face
18-07-2010, 08:11
Refusing to play an army is just sad.

No- I wouln't

Daump
18-07-2010, 18:38
Played a game against WE at 2500 yesterday and took quite a beating. Game could have gone much differently with a few die rolls going the other way (anything but a one and your treeman is dead, look I rolled a one again ).

He played with two treemen, a large block of eternal guard with re-rollable 10LD, General could only be hit/wounded on 6s; couple small blocks of archers and a 4X2 block of treekin, as well as a level 4 mage with lore of life.

The two treemen with thinderstomp made quite a mess, and everytime they got close to dying, he would manage to get an life spell off and heal them. Overall the game could have gone either way up until turn five, but once he killed my Lord, it was all but over. I did three wounds on his general, but again lore of life kept him topped up.

I agree his 7ed lists of wardances, riders and dryads probably would have died a horrible death, but so would lots of my 7ed lists.

Morale of the story, never say no to a game against any army, you may be surprised at a build you have not played against before, come up against some hot dice etc. But a fun game is always worth while playing

Shrapnelsmile
18-07-2010, 18:44
I don't think it will be fun to play against them..

Magic always made half their units bad. Now t3, no armour blocks will make the other half mince meat.

Wood elves were my favourite army. Now I don't want to play against them as they're simply a foregone conclusion (too weak).

If your partner agrees, and you've beat them badly before, give them a scenario advantage, or option of first turn.

and try not to be so assumptious ... when I get killed by "weak" army in 40K, it is always humbling.