PDA

View Full Version : Testing for Impetuous Charge

HannibalSW
17-07-2010, 07:24
Talking Bretonnians here. Here is the rule: In 7th edition, if a unit of Knights Errant were within charge range of an enemy they had to test their leadership to restrain themselves. Passing they would remain in place, failing they charged the unit and combat would occur in combat phase.

With 8th edition, charge range is random. So my question is, what is the distance or how do we determine the range that the Knights Errant must test at? Maybe it is their base movement +2? Maybe roll the dice and see how far they would charge and if it reaches a unit then test? (Thats even more unpredictable than before)

Has anyone seen this type of rule question come up with other units like Frenzy? (I don't own a BRB at the moment so I cannot go fact finding)

Thanks!
Hannibal

minionboy
17-07-2010, 07:29
That's a very good question, currently it doesn't say anything in frenzy about an actual number, other than saying a model that could charge must if they fail a LD test. So strict RAW, it would mean you have to test if an enemy is within M+12"... Which kinda sucks.

Frosty_TK
17-07-2010, 07:38
Copied from the duplicated thread:
Handle it just as Frenzy:
Frenzy says, they have to declare a charge if they can (if they fail a leadership test). The charging rules state, that you may not declare a charge if the enemy is out of the maximum range of your attack, or there are obstacles blocking you.

Thus: If there is an enemy unit in basic movement + 12 (the maximum of 2W6), you must pass a leadership test or try to charge the enemy!

stripsteak
17-07-2010, 08:05
didn't we just have this thread? http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266976

frenzy and impetuous are no longer the same (and weren't fully the same last edition either one used charge reach, the other charge range), they use different terminology so until an errata/faq I don't think we can safely base one on the other.

Frenzy mentions if they can declare a charge. There are only a few rules that prevent you form declaring a charge such as scout placement first turn, and you can't declare an impossible charge. ie something is blocking the unit facing you are in and couldn't make contact or you are out of the maximum range.

Impetuous says they must test if they are in 'charge reach'. Page 19 tells you how to determine your charge reach, along with some other rules such as swiftstride. So I would go for if they chose not to declare a charge roll their charge reach and test if any units are in the charge reach.

Frosty_TK
17-07-2010, 08:09
The consequence of that would be, that a unit of knights could never fail such a charge. Do you think that is intended?

stripsteak
17-07-2010, 08:14
sure, it was an almost guaranteed charge last edition as well. it can also mean they might be stuck charging a unit they didn't want to (since they have already passed up the chance to declare the charge), or charging over dangerous terrain, etc. It has benefits and drawbacks

Frosty_TK
17-07-2010, 08:49
Then this seems to be a viable explanation.

slasher
17-07-2010, 09:16
Is there a rule that allows you to auto fail Ld tests? Because the rules for Impetus state that you have to test to restrain if you didn't declear the charge, which added to having to use the highest ld in a unit makes it hardder to fail.

so I'd say it goes don't declear charges.
roll for charge distance.
see if a enemy unit is in range
ld check
if failed then enemy gets a charge reaction, if passed unit can move normally.

HannibalSW
17-07-2010, 09:30
Thanks for the help, sorry to bring up the same question from another thread. I didn't search because I've had problems with Warseer and the internet all night.

T10
17-07-2010, 09:42
Is there a rule that allows you to auto fail Ld tests?

There is no such rule.

-T10