PDA

View Full Version : Possible explanation for Thunder wolf Calvalry

RunepriestRidcully
17-07-2010, 07:58
I just thought of this alterative explanation for Thunderwolf riders, basically the Iron priests, for some reason or another (proberbly one lost a drunken bet) made a fully mechanical, non biological Wolf, a robot if you will. Now we all know the Ad Mech's veiw on inovation and artificial intelligence (even a simple one) and so they decided to disguise them as ones of flesh and blood, whenever they were damaged in front of non Space Wolves, they would just say "It hit a bionic". So what do think, does it make any more sense then any flesh and blood creature being able to carry a marine?

Lupe
17-07-2010, 08:43
So,let me see if I got this straight

On a planet literally infested with wolves the size of tanks, set in a future where even changing a light bulb can't be one without proper prayers, you're telling me it's easier for iron priests to not only invent a wolf-like design, but also make it seem life-like, instead of, you know, just going out into the wild and taming some wolves?

Yeah, totally makes sense...

Scorpius_78
17-07-2010, 08:51
So,let me see if I got this straight

On a planet literally infested with wolves the size of tanks, set in a future where even changing a light bulb can't be one without proper prayers, you're telling me it's easier for iron priests to not only invent a wolf-like design, but also make it seem life-like, instead of, you know, just going out into the wild and taming some wolves?

Yeah, totally makes sense...

Have to agree with this 100%

but then again I don't know,:shifty: Fenris does have everything even a barbed wire fence:D

deacon52
17-07-2010, 10:34
thunder wolves are the biggest nastiest predators on fenris. they feed on ice trolls and bears and mammoths and stuff like that. they are truly massive, about the size of a rhino(the animal not the transport). i dont think they are going to have a huge problem carrying a space marine.
space wolves have always had wolves fight along side them, having wolf mounts is not that big of a stretch of the imagination.
imho you dont need to explain it any other way. they arnt labradors, they are wolves the size of humvee's

Crazy Ivan
17-07-2010, 12:45
I think the real explanation involved a lot more beer, and a lot less coherent thought... :p

IAMNOTHERE
17-07-2010, 12:52
Out of all the units in the codex only 3 get to ride Thunderwolves - the cav, lords and iron Priests. Why could that be?

Ultimately though there are no wolves on Fenris.

AndrewGPaul
17-07-2010, 13:22
If anything, the ones the Space Wolves are riding are rather weedy (deacon52, I think the original quote comparing Fenrisian wolves to Rhinos was referring to the APC, but I can't remember the context, so I'm not 100% sure).

massey
17-07-2010, 15:18
I think the real explanation involved a lot more beer, and a lot less coherent thought... :p

On the part of the Space Wolves or the designers?

"I can... hic, I can ride that thing..."

Devastator
17-07-2010, 15:22
real reason is matt ward
the end

Col. Tartleton
17-07-2010, 15:29
On the part of the Space Wolves or the designers?

"I can... hic, I can ride that thing..."

When attempting to get into the heads of the space wolves, one must not look any further then Australia. The combination of inherent audacity, alcohol abuse, and large fauna sets them up to be one of a few places in the world similar to Fenris...

http://news.myjoyonline.com/lighternews/201007/49094.asp

RunepriestRidcully
17-07-2010, 17:01
It was just an idea I had, I am okay with the idea of Thunderwolves being really big (I am sure in a universe where toads can unleash a nuclear explosion, the wolves can carry marines) but I just thought some it may be an explanation for people who did not like the idea, another reason I think the Thunderwolves could carry marines is from everything we know of Fenris, I suspect it is Narrativium rich.

Arbedark
17-07-2010, 18:15
real reason is matt ward
the end

Fail...Phil Kelly wrote the book...

SharpSilver
17-07-2010, 18:54
Out of all the units in the codex only 3 get to ride Thunderwolves - the cav, lords and iron Priests. Why could that be?

Wolfguard Battle-leaders are also able to ride them.

:eyebrows:

Farseer Dave
17-07-2010, 18:56

Or so Magnus says.. :)

Farseer Dave.

gwarsh41
17-07-2010, 19:17
There are what seem to be two things people who dislike TWC cannot comprehend.
1. That marines would ride something
2. That TWC are not strong enough because they are wolves.

First, SW are far from normal marines. Lets leave it at that.
Second, Fenrisian wolves are not wolves. They are Fenrisian wolves. As stated, they are gargantuan and look similar to the wolves of terra. however they are not just giant wolves, they have obviously stronger muscles and spines that can carry a space wolf.

Some of them are modified by iron priests as well.

Asurman
17-07-2010, 19:47
real reason is matt ward
the end

This has become ridiculous.. It is getting to the point where people are just associating anything negative with him, when Phil Kelly did the Space Wolf codex.. :rolleyes:

RunepriestRidcully
17-07-2010, 20:28
This has become ridiculous.. It is getting to the point where people are just associating anything negative with him, when Phil Kelly did the Space Wolf codex.. :rolleyes:

with his track record though, it is not surprising.
Anyone think Iron Priests and Thunderwolves are like the ork painboys, the marine takes the Thunderwolf in to have a bionic leg and the Iron priest ends up giving it that, an iron jaw, bionic/laser eyes, an extra tail and who knows what else they decided to put on?

Asurman
17-07-2010, 20:50
with his track record though, it is not surprising.

What exactly has he done?

You can argue that he has made some fluff taboo's; but his codices have been some of the most balanced (if you only include his 40K works) out of the lot.

It's an unfair double standard. People cry and cry about Space Wolves and their fluff, yet Phil Kelly is regarded a brilliant designer, and you never hear a thing about him.

Matt Ward has an Avatar die and the hobby erupts with hatred.. It is ridiculous.