PDA

View Full Version : Kroot psychers? Cointains Xenology spoilers

Lionsprey
17-07-2010, 10:58
I did search for this but couldn't find anything so forgive me if it has already been posted.

While readin Xenology
It's mentioned that the kroot could possibly gain or at least pass on psykic abilitys to his children, So what im asking is if there are any kroot psychers mentaioned anywhere or at least if they could appear.

And while im on the subject how fast does a kroot gain new "Traits" from his meals?

madd0ct0r
17-07-2010, 11:16
slowly.

it has to be a prolonged and extensive exposure to the required genesets before the kroot starts to take them up.

and once acquired, it can be hard to loose the traits if they're not as good as hoped.

ForgottenLore
17-07-2010, 17:06
the old Kroot Mercenary list in chapter approved mentions Kroot Shamans that used the Minor Psychic Powers rules, also from chapter approved, so yes, Kroot Psykers do exist in the game universe.

DoombringerATT
17-07-2010, 17:09
The Kroot themselves can gain some of the traits of the prey he eats, but it takes a little while, and they do not manifest in any great ability for the one doing the eating.

It is unclear if this is an ability for the entire species, or an ability confined to the likes of a Shaper.

It isn't until the Kroot has offspring that these traits begin to increase in dominance, and Shapers, who can sense these genetic additions in the blood of individuals, dictate breeding in order to allow these traits to take deeper root and manifest with power in the offspring.

In regard to Kroot psykers specifically, yes they exist, as ForgottenLore says, in the form of Kroot Shamans. These Kroot act as spiritual guides and leaders for the Kindred, and may even possess some modicum of farseeing capability.

Kage2020
17-07-2010, 17:17
It's also very hard to spoil Xenology. As they say, "the only way is up..."

Or is that sing? ;)

Kage

jstalker
17-07-2010, 17:22
The KompletelyKroot codex which is was made with Andy Hoare I believe does in fact make use of Kroot Shamans in the list!
I think fluffwise yes it would be very plausible!

No-One
18-07-2010, 06:14
this kinda makes me wanna make a Kroot list using Eldar rules, very SScorpion heavy army with a "shaman" Farseer and a Autarch who's their huntmaster...

ForgottenLore
18-07-2010, 07:21
I've seen people use the Dark Eldar list with their kroot but I don't think I've seen kroot as craftworld eldar.

Hmm, might work OK, the various aspects representing different evolutionary adaptations. Could throw in a knarloc or two as wraithlords. Krootox might substitute for support and/or heavy weapon platforms. You'd have to avoid vehicles though. Kroot aren't exactly known for their mech forces.

DoombringerATT
18-07-2010, 08:32
Unless they've made dealings for some Tau Hammerheads, a la the Inquisitor Porl'a Vior'la Kais background, where the Por'la traded a few tanks away in exchange for assistance eliminating a potential Genestealer threat. ;)

Balgora
18-07-2010, 09:19
would kroot being quite vulnerable to chaos corruption back this up?

DoombringerATT
18-07-2010, 09:42
Unfortunately, the Kroot's vulnerability to Chaos ends with the Shaper sensing "tainted" DNA in the blood of the potential foodsource.

In Echoes of the Mont'au (the Tau's first documented encounter with Chaos), Kroot went insane from eating the corpses of Slaaneshi cultists, turning on the tau.

Shapers are not very likely to make that mistake, provided they are allowed to sample the flesh of the fallen prior to their Kroot feasting on it.

There is precedent for Kroot eliminating threats to their gene pool in For the Emperor, where Kroot give their lives attempting to save their Kindred's purity by attacking a Genestealer cult that has absorbed some of their Kindred's DNA.

Balgora
18-07-2010, 10:39
since a predispotion to being psychic is genetic,can they not be roughly the same thing?

Archmagus
20-07-2010, 22:42
A while back, Signature Evolutionary Adaptations for Kroot Mercenary Armies were explained in a White Dwarf issue, detailing the following:
You may choose a single Signature Evolutionary Adaptation for your Mercenary Kroot army. This represents the specific evolutionary path on which the Master Shaper has led his band, directing them to feed on specific prey in order to gain the characteristics of the creatures native to the warzones in which the band must fight. One of the Signature Evolutionary Adaptations was as follows:
Sixth Sense: These Kroot display an unnerving ability to predict imminent danger.