PDA

View Full Version : Challenge and Stand and Shoot, LO,S (3 ?s)

Diego
28-02-2006, 16:56
Okay so I'm just getting (back) in to Warhammer, and in my first few games ran across a few rules that I thought were odd. Most questions were resolved by simply reading the book, but a few I didn't find a conclusive answer to (and any in print references that help provide a conclusive answer would be much appreciated):

1)When a unit stands and shoots as a charge reaction, do the wounds cause then count towards combat resolution?
2)Character declares challenge when charging, challenge is accepted. Can the character use a weapon (Spear, Lance) that gains some benefit from charging, or do they lose that bonus? (I was told they would lose it but could find nothing saying that in the FAQ or main rulebook)
3)Look Out, Sir! rolls - when do you get them, when do you not? The main book says
"This rule applies to all missile weapons which work in a different way to ordinary shooting and which are not therefore restricted by the rules regarding shooting at characters described above"

"If a character is part of a unit of models of similar size and is hit by cannon fire, a stone thrower, or other missiles not governed by the normal target restriction...."
----
Which sounds to me like pretty much every template weapon in existance gets a Look Out, Sir roll. The only weakness I could see in that is "hit by .. a stone thrower" might be construed as meaning only the model directly under the template is 'hit' and the others are just 'splashed' (or something) and so would not be eligible.

Thanks for your assistance!

Major Defense
28-02-2006, 18:50
1)When a unit stands and shoots as a charge reaction, do the wounds cause then count towards combat resolution?No. They count as a mini shooting phase where if you cause 25% casualties the unit will take a panic test and flee (instead of charging) if they fail. If you don't get them to flee then you might have taken out a rank or two, which will end up helping later in close combat.

2)Character declares challenge when charging, challenge is accepted. Can the character use a weapon (Spear, Lance) that gains some benefit from charging, or do they lose that bonus? (I was told they would lose it but could find nothing saying that in the FAQ or main rulebook)No, they do not lose their charge bonus. Nothing exists to indicate that they do.

3)Look Out, Sir! rolls - when do you get them, when do you not?When your character is in a unit with 5+ regular models then the character cannot be hit by regular shooting and doesn't require the 'Look Out, Sir!' rule. Anything that uses a template or line of shot (like a cannon) allows for the character to be saved by a brave idiot.

DeathlessDraich
28-02-2006, 18:57
hi
1) Stand and shoot occurs before combat and does not count towards combat resolution
2) Spear , Lance, magic weapon bonuses all count during a challenge in the usual way - lances and spears in the first turn.
3) Look out sir applies to cannons and stone throwers, flame template as well. Partial hits on characters are resolved first in the usual way and if it hits, the character gets a Look out sir.

Bortus
04-03-2006, 05:27
Yup I'd say that pretty much sums it up.