PDA

View Full Version : How you have painted your army

adreal
18-07-2010, 01:10
Okay, so if this should be somewhere else, sorry. But recently I have finished up 2K of eldar, painted as well as I can while not taking forever, and not many people complain about the models themselves. But I have painted the bases as goblin green, because I wanted to, some people have complained, said they look pretty crap, which is okay I suppose, but my army, so I can do what I want with it.

There is one person however that wont let up, he will mention it whenever he gets a chance, saying they 'look like ****'. Several times I have said 'Well, if it was your army, then I would have painted the bases how you wanted them, but as it's not...' which others have accepted and moved on, but not him.

here's a photo of my dire avengers to show my basing
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/Adreal_the_Immaculate/DSCF1383.jpg
So are they really that bad, or should the guy just get over it??

DaSpaceAsians
18-07-2010, 01:14
They look fine to me and they're much better then mine since I never even worked on mine. He should get over it.

DuskRaider
18-07-2010, 01:18
I think they look fine, and this is coming from someone who paints a lot. Don't listen to some schmuck's BS remarks, you're doing great.

NotMyIfurita
18-07-2010, 01:25
Simple is good! You arent playing a 'round patches of grass' army, youre playing Eldar!

Painted models is what its about, and its not like they are smooth and green, you put more effort into it than that. Stomp him on the table and give him something new to bitch about!

Smarine14
18-07-2010, 01:26
The bases look fine and you can be proud of the fact that you have a fully painted army. If he has any units/models that are not painted tell him that they look like **** ;)

deacon52
18-07-2010, 01:28
dont worry about him mate, they look fine to me. i havent got time for ********* either. just tell him he's a muppet and move on

Denny_Crane
18-07-2010, 01:28
If some dude was consistantly getting in my face saying everything i do is crap when i put alot of effort into it i would start throwing punches not after long.

I advocate a violent resolution to the problem

P.S. your Dire Avengers are painted very nicely. The dude is probably jealous of them or is compensating for their own insecurities.

bigcheese76
18-07-2010, 01:29
I cant wait until I get to 2000 points fully painted to a good standard with my guard!

This person needs to move on. Your bases are fine. The only change I would make is to put a shade of green round the edge of the base, but that is just personal preference and as you quite rightfully say, is is YOUR army, not mine or his.

The Ginger Ninja
18-07-2010, 01:31
I personally don't like the bases, they look like they have been done in a hurry with no thought involved, and don't do the paint scheme any justice. If you did the bases like the ones on the flying base in the background it might look better.
But hey, it's your army! You do whatever you want with them, and if they look good in your opinion, keep them like that.
Loving the paint scheme though, you did an amazing job.

cav da man
18-07-2010, 01:32
well i can see how it could maybe look a little out of place somehow, but i like them myself :)

complain about the clothes your 'friend' is wearing,
jerk: "your models look s**t"
you: "yeah well at least i put the same effort into my models as i do to looking half decent myself, i mean come on, are you kidding me??"

Denny_Crane
18-07-2010, 01:35
Punch him in the face really really hard then watch him tip toe around you when ever you see him.

Lothlanathorian
18-07-2010, 01:39
Yeah, they look fine. I only don't even flock my bases. They are brown because I my Orks are green and my Space Marines have brown bases to match the Orks. They aren't flocked or anything. Still not sure if I plan on doing that since, well, who cares, right? I paint them so I can put them on a board and play with plastic army men, the bases don't matter.

I suggest telling him in a rather unpleasant and serious tone that he needs to go away and not concern himself with your army. Be honest and don't be nice about it. It isn't about being mean so much as it about conditioning him so that he associates criticizing your bases with being treated like the jerk he is.

Occulto
18-07-2010, 01:46
Bases look fine. I would've picked a different colour to paint the rims, but that's me.

I actually prefer simple bases, rather than the scenic diorama look where guys are walking round with half a building worth of ruins on each base.

This is how I base my minis:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh76/PBrazel/Witch%20Hunters/Guard_1.jpg

Lothlanathorian
18-07-2010, 01:50
Bases look fine. I would've picked a different colour to paint the rims, but that's me.

I actually prefer simple bases, rather than the scenic diorama look where guys are walking round with half a building worth of ruins on each base.

This is how I base my minis:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh76/PBrazel/Witch%20Hunters/Guard_1.jpg

What he said.

Nice bases, btw, Occulto. Simpler is better, methinks.

ForbidMetal
18-07-2010, 01:52
While I think the dude sounds like a cock-scrubber, maybe if put into a better terms, it'd be useful advice.

The models from what I can see are painted very nicely, however, the bases do let them down somewhat, kind of detracts from them if you know what I mean?
If you properally based them, they'd look really awesome.

On the same note, he'd think you did it 'cos he said so, so I suggest you don't do, if he persists, poke out his eyes and skull-**** him.

Mini77
18-07-2010, 02:10
The rim colour is a little odd, but they look fine. I'd rather play you than the fool who critiques them all the time.

I don't even paint the rims on my bases at all;

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh16/mini77bucket/40k/DSC00351-1.jpg

Occulto
18-07-2010, 02:14
Nice bases, btw, Occulto. Simpler is better, methinks.

Thanks mate.

Vaktathi
18-07-2010, 02:18
While I might agree that the bases don't look right (personally I think it might look better if you painted the base edges black), if you like it, that's all that matters as it is your army. If someone else doesn't like it, so what? It's your stuff, it's your theme, it's your army. However you like it is all that matters.

penguin663
18-07-2010, 02:19
I can't complain did the Sqmme with my Eldar( your models look great BTW)

I would rather have well painted models with simple bases, than poorly painted models with complex bases.

Farseer Dave
18-07-2010, 02:21
While I might agree that the bases don't look right (personally I think it might look better if you painted the base edges black), if you like it, that's all that matters as it is your army. If someone else doesn't like it, so what? It's your stuff, it's your theme, it's your army. However you like it is all that matters.

QFT.

at the end of the day their your toys , if YOU dont like the basses then change them , if your happy with them awesome . dont listen to some random Irl Troll dissing your army .

Farseer Dave.

_toast_
18-07-2010, 02:26
Punch him in the face really really hard then watch him tip toe around you when ever you see him.

see attachment :D

I must admit, that does seem somewhat rude. I don't mind them, at least you made the effort to base them!

OoieGooie
18-07-2010, 02:56
Hate to see what happens when this dude plays someone who has non painted bases. Or, a non painted army. Tell him his bases are so bad his mother must have done em. 8)

adreal
18-07-2010, 02:58
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

Acting violent to the guy, while it might work in the short term, would cause alot of problems long term, and I can't just tell him to leave as he is engauged to my roommate. Acting rude might be the solution (that or just leaving the room) it might be going down to his level, but as he hasn't repected the several times I've told him to stop and get over it, it might be the solution.

Thanks muchly for the complements on the models, and to the others that posted thier mdoels up, they look pretty sweet guys.

To the few posters who have said they don't like the bases, thankyou for doing it in a constructive manner, I might do a couple trial bases to work on the base trim

Billy
18-07-2010, 03:16
They arent the prettiest bases i have ever seen, but its your army and you can do what you like. At least your army is painted!

This guy sounds like a real loser. I bet his army is still grey. Just tell him off and pop him in the mouth next time he starts to run his mouth about your army :D.

impala
18-07-2010, 03:19
Really? There are people out there so petty that they repeatedly dog another person's modelling or painting just because it doesn't meet their own aesthetic needs?

My suggestion? Be the better person and ignore his comments. Act like he never even makes them.

and I think your bases look just fine. Not what I would do, but we're different people, right?

Sir_Turalyon
18-07-2010, 03:19
Exactly the same happend to me on last tournament (I paint bases Goblin Green), usualy with people telling me my bases are out of fashion and trying to tell me what current fashion is (brown base sides are passe, black is the thing now) . The answer I came up with is that I base this way for ten years and am not going to change it now, especially as it keeps bases of my armies compatibile. Given that people noticed my bases at all because I had one of two fully painted armies I spoted, I feel good anyway.

Denny_Crane
18-07-2010, 03:28
see attachment :D

I must admit, that does seem somewhat rude. I don't mind them, at least you made the effort to base them!

You don't need to be a tough guy to do it, if someone annoys you enough it will come naturally.

Occulto
18-07-2010, 03:52
usualy with people telling me my bases are out of fashion and trying to tell me what current fashion is (brown base sides are passe, black is the thing now) .

OMG! My army's fashionable!!! :eek:

tuebor
18-07-2010, 04:11

They're really not that bad, but even if they were terrible he should get over it, they're your toy soldiers, not his.

gwarsh41
18-07-2010, 04:27
Black bases with red lava running through it is all the rave these days. Heck even wood elves can look good with a lava base!

I want giant boogers for my nurgle army.... Time to hit up the local elementary school...

To the OP, I dont do squat to my bases. Nothing at all. I think your basing looks nice, you have put effort into making something that just holds the model upright to make it look nice and match your army theme. If I was to do something to my bases, it would be the same as you did, but with black shiney sand... oooh, crushed obsidian would be cool. It is a base, it is fine if the base is basic.

Angelwing
18-07-2010, 08:43
Bases look fine. As others have said, it's your army, not the complainers.
I've had some flak for my goblin green bases. I have been doing most of my armies like that for over 10 years and don't fancy rebasing them. (consider rebasing 14k worth of tyranids for example, and thats one of my armies with goblin green bases....)

Tokamak
18-07-2010, 08:47
You're free to paint your models as you like. But I can see your peer gamer's frustration as the base definitely doesn't suit your otherwise superbly painted models. So I have to say, yes, they're really that bad, not just the green but also the way you painted them green is horrible. But also, yes he should get over it as well, they're not his models.

Szalik
18-07-2010, 08:49
The problem with those bases is that they do not fit the models. Your Eldar are done very nicely but in my opinion the bases require some love to fit their level of painting.

You might try using Graveyard Earth for the edge. There are some white areas near the edge, you should try getting rid of them by using another brown color to imitate earth-diffrent from the one used on the edge. You might want to paint some of the small stones on the bases grey, so they will look uhh stone like and give some variety to the ground.

Still the guy that keeps braging about them sounds like an ****** and you should not care about him much.

Dronevil
18-07-2010, 10:04
I'm looking at my 2E Eldar Codex and all the bases in there are just plain Goblin Green.

Show that to your friend and request he takes it up with the Eavy Metal team.

AndrewGPaul
18-07-2010, 10:20
The only problem is that where the green top surface meets the beige rim is a bit scruffy. To be honest, when I looked at the photo, I thought you'd done the tops but not the sides.

Other than that, there's no problem with the colours. Despite some previous comments, black or dark brown isn't objectively better than beige. If you like the beige, leave it.

The only other suggestion I'd make is that you could consider basing your miniatures to match the boards you most regularly play on. If you always play on a grey city board, for instance, then little green circles look a bit odd.

Born Again
18-07-2010, 12:09
They look a hell of a lot better than the Blood Angels behind them, which is how I see many people playing their armies. So you're doing better than all of them to begin with!

They look fine, you're not trying to win Golden Demon, a whole army to that standard on a tabletop would look more than good enough.

Hunger
18-07-2010, 12:23
IMO the miniatures look great, and have been very well painted, however the bases do let them down a bit. Not because the bases are terrible, but because the minis are so good.

I too like simple bases. My Tyranid bases are done all over, rims and tops, with goblin green and flocked on the top. The actual minis are very simply done with just two main colours, and the simple base sets them off without distracting attention away from the actual mode, which is what yours do.

If your Eldar were mine I would put goblin green around the rims too, because I think it would be a simple quick touch and would make that base look better. However, thats my personal preference, and if you chose to keep them as they are because you like them then thats up to you - I certainly wouldn't moan about them and tell you they are crap because they are fine.

If the chap does it again, politely tell him that his opinion is completely worthless, and proceed to ignore him like he's not there. If he still won't let it go, ask to see his bases and tell him they are awful. Then tell him his models are awful too. Finish with "when you learn to paint to a standard that gets my respect, then I'll listen to your criticism."

Corax
18-07-2010, 14:05
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your models, and if you're happy with them that's all that really matters.

As for the guy who's dissing them, it sounds like he's trying to get a rise out of you. I would suggest just shrugging nonchalantly when he comments on them. Nothing is more annoying to someone like that than utter indifference.

Or better still, say you're leaving them that way solely because it bothers him. :evilgrin:

Dreachon
18-07-2010, 14:16
IMO the bases could use some refinement but that's just me, now the models themselves are well painted, can't imagine him complaining about those as there is basicly nothing really to complain about.

Just follow the dvice others have given you, ignore the ****.

Lordmonkey
18-07-2010, 14:23
Everyone has the right to voice their opinion on things. If you asked him what he thought of your bases, and he told you, you should not be annoyed by that - he is (probably) being honest. Maybe it is constructive criticism - although in that case there should be a little more detail given as to why "they are ****".

However, if he constantly goes out of his way to insult your miniatures without actually being prompted then why do you even play 40k with this guy at all? He sounds like he is just out to bitch and moan. Don't talk to him anymore.

jay court
18-07-2010, 14:26
While it's up to you on how you base your models, I do think that just painting the bases green & flocking them is a bit of a cop-out. Plus if you've put a lot of effort into doing the models there's a danger of the bases letting the models down.

I use a sand/static grass combo on my bases, simple yet effective & it makes it look like you've put the effort into the whole model.

Have seen too many really good paint jobs let down by lazy bases.

Firmlog
18-07-2010, 17:38
The old standard of painting bases was goblin green. It's not necessary but can look a bit unfinished with grey or some other colors. Many historical armies are still painted with this type of green. My sisters of battle were painted grey on the base edges.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/cypherkk/010-10.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/cypherkk/warhammer/010-10.jpg

This is inquisitor scale but they were painted this way.

I used scorched brown for a while myself and I really liked it. Beastial brown looks good and I think how I painted my Beastmen (they could be scorched brown too). The current standard is graveyard earth. Looks pretty good. My Lord of the ring models are all painted with this base as well as my Orks. However, they are all on forest bases with static grass.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/cypherkk/War%20of%20the%20rings/017-2.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/cypherkk/War%20of%20the%20rings/023-1.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/cypherkk/warhammer/019-2.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/cypherkk/warhammer/016.jpg

It really depends on the models, the basing scheme etc... You wouldn't want graveyard earth on a city scape base. And its really up to you, at least the models are fully painted and based.

Apasas
18-07-2010, 18:32
I think the bases look great. They look better than I expected. The only thing extra thing needed is to paint the rim as someone said so that it looks complete.

I prefer to pain my bases brown on the basis that it's likely to get muddy where the model is situated.

mdauben
19-07-2010, 15:52
There is one person however that wont let up, he will mention it whenever he gets a chance, saying they 'look like ****'.
I would just tell him to STFU. They are your miniatures and if you are happy with the basing that's all that matters. Period. :mad:

Personally, while I can admire the highly "landscaped" bases some people do from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I really prefer very simple basing on my own models, so I don't go for lots of "stuff" on my bases, or contrasting edge colors. The bases for my tau are just green with green flocking, my SM tan with a tan sand mix on top, and my DH are dark grey with a dark grey sand mix on top. L prefer that the bases disappear into the tabletop, rather than as someome else said having little mini-vinettes that stick out no matter what gaming surface you use.

Gunzhard
19-07-2010, 17:30
Okay, so if this should be somewhere else, sorry. But recently I have finished up 2K of eldar, painted as well as I can while not taking forever, and not many people complain about the models themselves. But I have painted the bases as goblin green, because I wanted to, some people have complained, said they look pretty crap, which is okay I suppose, but my army, so I can do what I want with it.

There is one person however that wont let up, he will mention it whenever he gets a chance, saying they 'look like ****'. Several times I have said 'Well, if it was your army, then I would have painted the bases how you wanted them, but as it's not...' which others have accepted and moved on, but not him.

here's a photo of my dire avengers to show my basing
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a177/Adreal_the_Immaculate/DSCF1383.jpg

Hmm I don't think it's that bad... I personally think a darker color would be better but why that would bother some folks is beyond me.

The models look great by the way...

Simo429
19-07-2010, 17:42
Slap him lad

MystheDevourer
19-07-2010, 18:57
I wish i had half that much skill that the OP link show >.>

Nezalhualixtlan
20-07-2010, 00:42
There is one person however that wont let up, he will mention it whenever he gets a chance, saying they 'look like ****'.

They're fine, maybe not the most artistic basing I've seen but hey, you actually took the time to paint your models and base them, that's more than I can say for most people I know that play, myself included (who is working on it, but there's no way in hell I'm going to let unpainted models get in my way of enjoying the game).

You should tell Mr. Jackass he's lucky you painted and based them or tell him to **** off about it, or offer to let him finish them for you with his apparently godly skills. Seriously, it's your army, if you are happy with it, nothing else matters. Your paint scheme is fine, your level of detail and blending looks fine. If he can't handle that, he's always free not to play you, you should tell him to get over it or stfu.