PDA

View Full Version : Incoming: High Elves

Pages : [1] 2 3

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 09:31
"This October is devoted to the scions of Asuryan, as we release a series of new High Elf miniatures

[The picture in this "incoming" features the cover art of the army book]

The High Elves are the noblest of races, the remnant of a once-mighty civilisation that spanned the globe. The titanic destruction unleashed by the Daemons of Chaos and the monstrous betrayal of the Dark Elves left their nation a shadow of its former might and glory, and yet the High Elves fight on. For millennia they have stood sentinel against the depredations of Chaos, thwarting the machinations of the Dark Gods over and again, and though their population has dwindled, the skill and determination of their armies remains steadfast.

In battle, the armies of the High Elves are a glorious sight to behold. Ranks of elite soldiers clad in unspotted white and glittering silver stand against the dark tide of the Forces of Destruction. With a mystical grace and agility that is incomparable to the lumpen, slothful gestures of lesser mortals, they cleave through the foe with spear and blade - their skill and speed a match for any foe. Volleys of white-fletched arrows are sent slashing into the foe, accompanied by the heavier, deadlier shots of the Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers, which can punch through even the thickest armour. Powerful High Elf Mages direct the ebb and flow of the Winds of Magic to smite the foe with incandescent flames, or protect their allies with the dazzling power of Asuryan, the king of the Elven gods.

For more information about the High Elf releases in October, watch out for future newsletters, keep an on the Games Workshop website and check out October's issue of White Dwarf."

Just arrived, check your mailboxes.

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 09:32
First of all: N O new Armybook. For the moment it's just not going to happen. Multiple reliable people told us so.

Scryer in the Dark tells us that we can expect:

4 Plastic Box Sets. All plastic White Lions, Dragon Princes and Phoenix Guard. (Backed up by Harry)
The fourth box is a new battalion, including 20 Archers, 20 Spearmen, a Repeater-Bolt-Thrower and a High Elves Chariot kit. The labeled price is 90 €, though this isn't necesarily final.

Pictures here, thanks @ Tlotsqui for linking them and the original poster in the other board for the upload.

http://forum.warhammer-forum.com/index.php?showtopic=151031&pid=1722718&st=50&#entry1722718

2 Metal Box Sets - no solid indication what these are.

2 Blisters - GodlessM tells us one is a Prince on foot. This will be a metal sculpt of the very same prince as in Islands of Blood. His name is Althran Stormrider. Nothing on the second blister.

A Spell Cards deck similar to Daemons, Beastmen and the Basic Lores is confirmed.

Speculations: (Nothing here is based on any solid indications)

2 Metal boxes and Blisters could contain anything. To quote some of the so far more likely guesses: Giant Eagles, Noble on Giant Eagle, new Tyrion or new Eltharion the Grim. It is possible that High Elves get a new Hero, with rules featured in the White Dwarf.

It has been mentioned that some of the miniatures of Islands of Blood may be available for seperate sale, though that probably will, if it happens, be on a later time, and is by now speculation.

Latest update, August the 3rd. Changed reliable infos to orange and speculations and guesses to purple.

I also want to use this oppurtunity to thank all of you who provided me with intel.

Harry
18-07-2010, 09:33
To get you going on that summary....

I have not heard about a new army book.

I have heard about:
Dragon Princes, White Lions and Pheonix Guards.

Not saying this for definite. :D
It is just what I heard.

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 09:35
Ah, nice, I was just browsing the other thread to quote you, but here we go. Thanks :)

Tlotsqi
18-07-2010, 09:37
And few blisters.

Harry
18-07-2010, 09:38
Ah, yes, and some metal characters and some other stuff.

Zaonite
18-07-2010, 09:41
Harry, you have made my day! Those new HE models are gonna be a very nice birthday present! If I could I would kiss you!

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 09:42
Which I'm going topredict as Tyrion and Teclis. Although I suppose we could see a new Eltharion thanks to the new Griffon, or maybe Imrik done Azhag style, but my money is on Tyrion and Teclis.

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 09:42
I already have 30x PG and WL :(
Damn you GW.. damn you..

Edit: and 12 Dragon Princes :( :(

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 09:43
Ore some new character introduced in White Dwarf maybe...? High Elves Prince on White Lion? This crazy Idea just struck my mind, I have no source for that, it's just my imagination... =)

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 09:46
I suppose anything possible since the Nightspinner (shudders Space Marine 40,000), new characters would be cool, but I really just want to see White Lion Cavalry. :D

eldargal
18-07-2010, 09:46
Want. Maiden. Guard. Grr.

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 09:47
I suppose anything possible since the Nightspinner (shudders Space Marine 40,000), new characters would be cool, but I really just want to see White Lion Cavalry. :D

Yeah erm..
as long as there's no new AB, there's not going to be new units.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 09:48
I know that probally likely Herofox, it's just Bramguant got my imagination going :p

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 09:48
It's not like Eldar got a brand new unit without a new codex... wait, they did...

Gazak Blacktoof
18-07-2010, 09:49
Dragon Princes, White Lions and Phoenix Guard? Seems odd that they wouldn't release the starter box contents as multi-part palstics. I guess this will push sales of the starter box, but I thought they'd be more interested in replacing the poor core infantry and expanding the plastics range, rather than simply expanding the range.

Avian
18-07-2010, 09:51
Getting stuff made into plastic seems to be a higher priority than redoing things that already exist in plastic.

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 09:51
It's not like Eldar got a brand new unit without a new codex... wait, they did...

True, but that was a random fluke on a relatively older codex.

Who knows? Maybe they'll bring back Eltharion the Blind :D

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 09:52
Agrred the only exception I can think to that rule are the Beastmen.(Gors and Ungors) Although I suppose that was because of rule changes in their army book.

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 09:53
We would have two Eltharions in the same army list possible, that could lead to anything...

You could do a nice scenary, though, Old Eltharion, Kairos Fateweaver, Blinded Eltharion, and a sign saying "Ulthuan, 15 Years ago..."

Well, time will tell what metal awesomeness awaits us.

Bubbatron
18-07-2010, 09:54
there was a white lion riding character on GWs site not too long ago though....

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=10500121a - botttom of the page

this is the sign of impending doom for me - just when i thought i was done with warhammer and high elves first we get the amazing starter box stuff, then they release new stuff too - damn you gw !!!!!

although if they are doing new character i would love to see Belannaer return - always a favourite of mine - he'd look nice with a bodyguard of Swordmasters - hmmm Saphrey themed list here i come !!!

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 09:55

There was nothing random about it. It was a concerted planned concept to release a new unit in White Dwarf. GW has also just recently begun maintaining "living" FAQ's on their website for Warhammer 8th Edition... there has been a shift at GW at how they provide rules content and there's no telling they'll deliver next. We're living in different times now, especially post 8th Ed.

Avian
18-07-2010, 09:58
And it was also only semi-new in that the Nightspinner was one option in the Fire Prism kit, it was not a separate kit of its own.

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 09:59
For myself I thought the nightspinner being a masterpiece in sales strategy, because it didn't only sell like the new iPhone (maybe not that good, but you know what I mean) and it boosted the sale on all Eldar products.

I can see them doing this again.

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 10:00
there was a white lion riding character on GWs site not too long ago though....

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=10500121a - botttom of the page

this is the sign of impending doom for me - just when i thought i was done with warhammer and high elves first we get the amazing starter box stuff, then they release new stuff too - damn you gw !!!!!

although if they are doing new character i would love to see Belannaer return - always a favourite of mine - he'd look nice with a bodyguard of Swordmasters - hmmm Saphrey themed list here i come !!!

That's a kit bash Lion Chariot + Prince Sprue.

I have one.

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 10:03
And it was also only semi-new in that the Nightspinner was one option in the Fire Prism kit, it was not a separate kit of its own.

True.

Plastic Dragon Princes almost seem like a sure to be. They wouldn't combine Silver Helm kits because .. well.. sales suggest that two different plastic kits for different units will be better.

Plastic Phoenix Guard and White Lions also seem pretty likely. I predict 10 per box.

Maybe freaking plastic eagles for once in my life.

Alathir
18-07-2010, 10:03
Holy awesome-ness batman!

I am verrrry excited for this. I really can't wait to add to my glittering elven host. I found it interesting that they don't mention them as a 'dying race' only that their 'population has dwindled' perhaps they are finally getting away from that idea? I'd like to see it, to be honest, as there is still no real reason for it outside of 'Tolkein's elves were dying...'

Avian
18-07-2010, 10:04
For myself I thought the nightspinner being a masterpiece in sales strategy, because it didn't only sell like the new iPhone (maybe not that good, but you know what I mean) and it boosted the sale on all Eldar products.

I can see them doing this again.
Yeah, though I expect them to try this out bundled with existing units, so that the risk is lower. With the Fire Prism / Nightspinner kit, people who already owned the metal/plastic Fire Prism kit might want to get it for the new Nightspinner option, and those who weren't interested in the Nightspinner might get it for the Fire Prism option.

So (to pick an example at random) - a plastic Dark Elf Hydra might come with the option for some sort of new sea monster rather than releasing a new sea monster on its own.

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 10:06
And of course as was mentioned some time ago, there is something else on the cards for High Elves. ;)

Also I really did/do hope GW would bring out a Heraldry and Uniforms of the High Elves book, it would be perfect timing.

Yeah, though I expect them to try this out bundled with existing units, so that the risk is lower. With the Fire Prism / Nightspinner kit, people who already owned the metal/plastic Fire Prism kit might want to get it for the new Nightspinner option, and those who weren't interested in the Nightspinner might get it for the Fire Prism option.

It's the logical thing to do when eliminating (big) metal kits. Expand the options, expand the sales.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 10:08
I take take that with a large does of salt. I remember you saying such a book for HE was coming out some time ago Scryer. ;)

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 10:09
I take take that with a large does of salt. I remember you saying such a book for HE was coming out some time ago Scryer. ;)

Nope, I never said it was coming out - and I'm not now - only that I wished for it to be the next Heraldry book for them to do. (And it makes sense IMO.)

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 10:09
He stressed the cards.. so I'm thinking he implies the High Magic lore cards.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 10:10
Ah I miss intepreted then, sorry Scryer. I'll throw my hat in the ring with that hope though!

Desert Rain
18-07-2010, 10:10
I'm so excited about this, and based on the quality of the starter set minis I guess that the multi-part kits will be even more awesome.

Ivellis
18-07-2010, 10:17
I imagine my High Elves will be facing a lot of their brethren in battle for the next half a year.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 10:19
I'm probally going to shot down here but I would rather have more plastic swordmasters than Dragon Prince. The Dragon Princes look ok, but the old metal SM could really benifit with a plastic kit, as seen with IoB figs.

Zaonite
18-07-2010, 10:20
I'm so excited about this, and based on the quality of the starter set minis I guess that the multi-part kits will be even more awesome.

The starter minis look awesome. As you say, judging by those, the separate kits will likely be incredible. I do hope the separate sets for seaguard will be available too.

scarletsquig
18-07-2010, 10:32
Agrred the only exception I can think to that rule are the Beastmen.(Gors and Ungors) Although I suppose that was because of rule changes in their army book.

Empire also got a new set of state troops redone in plastic when it had metal greatswords and flagellants still hanging around.

And to make matters worse, the new plastics looked worse than the old ones.

It doesn't matter what they release for high elves, I flat-out refuse to buy dozens and dozens of those "Chunkfist" spearmen. So with that in mind new core would be the essential thing for me to ever consider a high elf army. I think the decreased minimum core requirement introduced in 7th was mainly a way of dealing with the fact that the core sculpts weren't up to scratch.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 10:39
Ah the state troops as well thanks for that Scarletsquig, but lets not take about those Empire pumbagor standard troops shall we, well alright maybe not pumba standard but close!

Aflo
18-07-2010, 10:54
Gogo plastic high elf blood bowl team!

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 10:56
Nope, I never said it was coming out - and I'm not now - only that I wished for it to be the next Heraldry book for them to do. (And it makes sense IMO.)

Actually, I've just had the latest product list through and I might juuuuust have something to say on this exact subject... ;)

...once I've finished looking everything over (it's huge!).

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 11:01
I'll take that there is one coming out then. ;) And that there is at least 4 plastic kits, like a standard codex release.

Edit: It's a shame you don't do your product code thing anymore, it was always great fun trying to guess the boxsets. :(

twistinthunder
18-07-2010, 11:12
well, high magic cards are a given, really, considering the fact that they're releasing cards alongside new warhammer releases, new army book or not(in this case not). unless of course they were to release skaven and high elf magic cards alongside IoB.

I think dragon princes may be preferable to some of the other stuff considering their current box is £35.00 for 5 of them.

architect
18-07-2010, 11:16
apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but my email about this also included info about dwarf and goblin releases in october, but I can't see a relevant thread anywhere?

"This October the battle for dominion is set to intensify as both the armies of the Dwarf Holds and the Misty Mountains receive new reinforcements. With new miniatures for both factions, Good and Evil players have something to look forward to.

For more information about the Misty Mountains releases in October, watch out for future newsletters, keep an on the Games Workshop website and check out October's issue of White Dwarf. Players of the Strategy Battle Game will find rules to accompany all these models in November's issue of White Dwarf."

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 11:19
Check the Lotr fourms, there is a thread there.

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 11:19
Thats for the Lord of the Rings Strategy game =)

Look two subforums deeper for more info about them =)

architect
18-07-2010, 11:20
d'oh :D

cheers guys

static grass
18-07-2010, 11:22
To get you going on that summary....

Phoenix Guards.

As if you needed confirmation but a random man also told me these are done.

stahly
18-07-2010, 11:33
Empire also got a new set of state troops redone in plastic when it had metal greatswords and flagellants still hanging around.

And to make matters worse, the new plastics looked worse than the old ones.

It doesn't matter what they release for high elves, I flat-out refuse to buy dozens and dozens of those "Chunkfist" spearmen. So with that in mind new core would be the essential thing for me to ever consider a high elf army. I think the decreased minimum core requirement introduced in 7th was mainly a way of dealing with the fact that the core sculpts weren't up to scratch.

I think it depends on the given army. The Empire core miniatures looked very historic and they surely wanted them to look more "Warhammer-y". Also a lot of weapon options were hybrid kits. Beastmen on the other hand had a combined Gor/Ungor boxset that wouldn't work with the new ruleset.
Apart from that, as Avian said, the priority seems to replace metal units with plastic ones. High Elves (along with Dwarfs and Dark Elves) suffer from a very big metal range with mostly outdated sculpts, too. Even worse with the last AB they chose to release plastic character sets to replace already existent (and very nice) metal models while leaving the rest of the range untouched. Nice to have characters with a boatload of options, but you buy this kits maybe once and then you're stuck with full metal units, gorilla hand spearmen and archers with stupid faces and haircuts.

So for this release, they chose to replace some old metal sculpts so we have yet to bear with outdated but plastic core models. When the time is due for a new army book (whenever that will be), they can release fabulous new plastic core sets with the big bang of a new ruleset. I imagine a combined Sea Guard/Spearmen kit (Sea Guard would have their own shield designs, bows to attach, their own command group and maybe their own helmets), new Archers, multipart Swordmasters and a combined Reaver/Silver Helmet box (judging from the IoB models, with the barded horses and the new look of the riders all you'd need to change from a Silver Helmet would be the heads, the weapon arms and a quiver to glue to the saddle). As this release wave might be off for some years, it would be toward of the end of the life span of IoB and thus don't interfere with its sales too much.

silverstu
18-07-2010, 11:34
Sounds good- with the starter box set that is a pretty expansive release. Although I think they really need a seaguard box too. As others have said- one of the main problems with the range is the bad core kits- a seaguard kit would give them a great option, complimenting the starter set without forcing players to buy 3 sets for a decent sized unit. That said I imagine they will get a separate kit -just perhaps not in this wave..

Harorc Blueteef
18-07-2010, 11:49
I think we need to be prepared that the price of white lions and phoenix guards will be in line with the goldswords and bestigors.

So Gold lions? And Phoenix gold?

Desert Rain
18-07-2010, 11:57
Gold Lions, Goldmasters and Golden Guards, I hope not.

Falkman
18-07-2010, 11:59
I think it's pretty safe to assume that they'll be in the same price category as Bestigors and Greatswords, I see no reason for the High Elf elite plastics to be cheaper than the others.
Still a great deal if you ask me, new plastic models vs old metal ones means better quality, better sculpts, hopefully more posable and best of all, spare parts to use in conversions.

twistinthunder
18-07-2010, 12:03
Actually, I've just had the latest product list through and I might juuuuust have something to say on this exact subject... ;)

...once I've finished looking everything over (it's huge!).

so it's huge, but how huge is it? roughly.

would one be safe to assume 2 boxes for dwarfs and 2 boxes for goblins,then the rest for high elves?

xv8
18-07-2010, 12:07
hey guys not trying to be bad but there already a thread about the high elves 2nd wave

lordlorien
18-07-2010, 12:09
And to be honest, I'd rather have a kit in Goldigor price range which looks great and has tons of options and fluffy items than some halfhearted attempts. This goes especially for elite and rare choices of which you usually need only one unit of and most of the times not take like 50 on that unit. Though 30ish€ on 10 man kit is kinda hard when you think too much before buying ... good thing I am a rather spontanious consumer :shifty:

Oh and btw if the kits are improved versions of the starter box or made by the same artist this will be one hell of a release!

Elanthanis
18-07-2010, 12:10
The problem with the high elves has always been their core infantry options. They're hideous in comparison to their dark elf and wood elf cousins. The dark elf hands suffer much the same problem, but it's not as notable as the armor is fairly decent.

Sad that these might not be addressed.

silverstu
18-07-2010, 12:13
@ xv8-Yep- but that thread was speculation- it has now moved onto confirmation and it's sometimes easier to start a fresh thread with an updated summary[Nice work Bram ;)].

Re: Pricing- goldsword prices are likely? Or Graveguard prices? Elite plastics are pricey but do have the benefits of options, better sculpts and plus you don't need quite so many [as say core options]Dragon princes I assume might be on a par with chaos knights [which would be rather nifty..].

xv8
18-07-2010, 12:23
now that i look at the other thread its best keep this one as the other one did go off course abit

Chaos and Evil
18-07-2010, 12:26
Re: Pricing- goldsword prices are likely?

I don't see why they wouldn't be.

silverstu
18-07-2010, 12:37
I don't see why they wouldn't be.

Because there doesn't seem to be a consistent price for plastic elites? Graveguard are £20 for 10, goldswords are £25.. it does give a [slim] margin for hope- In reality though I accept that the price for these will likely be £25..

Malakai
18-07-2010, 13:08
Also I really did/do hope GW would bring out a Heraldry and Uniforms of the High Elves book, it would be perfect timing.

They're white. ;)

twistinthunder
18-07-2010, 13:18
not neccessarily, personally im thinking of doing a red/gold HE army.

Falkman
18-07-2010, 14:20
Green/cream-coloured Chracian themed for me.

Alathir
18-07-2010, 15:09
Mine are currently red/gold. I think it looks great!

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 16:29
I'll take that there is one coming out then. ;)
It's a Skaven book unfortunately. I was hoping there might be a 'matching' High Elves one (like with the Battle Magic decks) lurking somewhere further back in the list, but doesn't look like it.

And that there is at least 4 plastic kits, like a standard codex release.
Well done Sir, there is indeed 4 plastic kits. :yes:

Specifically, barring any last minute additions/subtractions:

2 metal blisters
2 metal boxes
4 plastic boxes

They're white. ;)

FAIL. :no:

Shadow_Steed
18-07-2010, 16:32
The starter minis look awesome. As you say, judging by those, the separate kits will likely be incredible. I do hope the separate sets for seaguard will be available too.

Greetings Saxon! Have you seen the new HE starter minis:)?

MajorWesJanson
18-07-2010, 16:41
It's a Skaven book unfortunately. I was hoping there might be a 'matching' High Elves one (like with the Battle Magic decks) lurking somewhere further back in the list, but doesn't look like it.

2 metal blisters
2 metal boxes
4 plastic boxes

FAIL. :no:

Some kits seem like good combo ideas. 4 Plastic boxes. Hmm.
Phoenix Guard/Swordmasters?
Silver Helms/Dragon Princes?
White Lions
New Spearmen/Seaguard?

2 metal boxes.
Great eagle mounted lord/hero?
New Unit?

2 Blisters
New character?
New character sculpt (Teclis?)

CmdrLaw
18-07-2010, 16:41
I literally just bout 15 metal PG...damnit!

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 16:50

Ah oh well cheers Scryer, the skaven one should be good to though, considering I was considering either army, just High Elves at this time because they where my first love in fantasy, although I wonder if this means a upcoming Skaven wave release then..:angel:

Wow really! I guessed this is what you were talking about size wise as normally a wave relase only contains 2-3 plastic kits as we have seen so far. So I persumed you meant it to be a normal codex size one.

Cheers again for info Scryer.

Deff

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 16:58
I guessed this is what you were talking about size wise as normally a wave relase only contains 2-3 plastic kits as we have seen so far. So I persumed you meant it to be a normal codex size one.
I wasn't talking about the size of the release wave, I was talking about the size of the product list. I think it's just about everything til the end of the year. 200+ entries covering everything from all the High Elves and Skaven releases to Empire, Lizardmen, Dwarves, Orcs & Goblins, all the upcoming LOTR stuff, Space Marines, Orks, Dark Eldar, Scenery, all the new Paints, Hobby, Direct Only goodies, not mention all the Black Library stuff and a whole slew of codes I don't even know what they are - seem to be in the same vein as the specialty items like the Engineers' Ranging Set and Limited Skull Dice, etc.

Ramius4
18-07-2010, 17:17
I wasn't talking about the size of the release wave, I was talking about the size of the product list. I think it's just about everything til the end of the year. 200+ entries covering everything from all the High Elves and Skaven releases to Empire, Lizardmen, Dwarves, Orcs & Goblins, all the upcoming LOTR stuff, Space Marines, Orks, Dark Eldar, Scenery, all the new Paints, Hobby, Direct Only goodies, not mention all the Black Library stuff and a whole slew of codes I don't even know what they are - seem to be in the same vein as the specialty items like the Engineers' Ranging Set and Limited Skull Dice, etc.

I can guess what a few of those releases are, but had no idea that Dwarves or Lizardmen were getting anything. Nice to see you mention Dark Eldar as well;)

Falkman
18-07-2010, 17:21
Some kits seem like good combo ideas. 4 Plastic boxes. Hmm.
Phoenix Guard/Swordmasters?
Phoenix Guard and Swordmasters both have very distinctive looking armour that looks nothing like each other, I really can't see them being made into a combined set (there isn't any precedence for a kit like this either as far as I know).

Silver Helms/Dragon Princes?
Same issue as with Swordmasters/Phoenix Guard, Dragon Princes have a very distinctive look that would be very hard to combine with Silver Helms, really doubt a combined kit is coming.

White Lions
Seems pretty much confirmed.

New Spearmen/Seaguard?
I really hope the fourth kit is Sea guard, and it would be great if you could build regular spearmen with it as well. We need good core plastics.

2 metal boxes.
Great eagle mounted lord/hero?
New Unit?
It pretty much has to be an eagle/eagle character, since that's about the only thing left that doesn't have a (new) model after IoB.
Maybe a new Eltharion model? Or it could be something new, like the Eldar Night spinner with WD rules.

2 Blisters
New character?
New character sculpt (Teclis?)
I'm hoping for a new BSB model, I don't like the sculpted banner in the plastic kit at all.
Or if we can really wishlist, I'm hoping for new Shadow warriors since the current ones are abysmal.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 17:33
Ah I see now Scryer, well some how it helped to gain the guess which was 4 plastic kits anyway. :D

Anyways here's my guess for the kits and that and why. My guesses are based on the theory of double kitting some sets.

Plastic Phoenix Guard/White Lions - Everyone else on here seems to think a crossover between SM/PG. I think differently, look at the armor of the WL and PG it is very similar, specifically the leg armour. Also both models have capes of some sorts, while the SM don't, so the kits will be easy to combind (WL & PG)

Spearmen/ Sea Guard- I can see GW taking advantage to replace a awful plastic kit with a new one to drive sales, considering core now makes up a big portion of your army.

Swordmasters- I think this because quite simply they are in the starter.

Plastic Silver Helms/ Elyrian Reavers- Unlike most I don't think the SH and DP are similar enough to be in the same kit, whereas many pointed out the reavers in the starter set look good enough to be SH.

Metal Dragon Princes- New fresh sculpts to really capture these models in detail, or just a repackaging of the old ones. Although I could see them being released in plastic.

A new metal eagle sculpt, I honestly can't think of anything else outside of some new mystery unit

And last of all for the characters Teclis and Tyrion.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
18-07-2010, 17:47

Well, if you don't mind, I'm going to have a guess at these, but only one post so as not to clutter up this thread:

Empire: Knights, Lizardmen: Saurus Cavalry, Dwarves: Longbeards/Hammerers/Ironbreakers, Orcs & Goblins: Savage Orcs. And of course any kind of characters for these.

Just my thoughts,

Nixon

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 17:49
Metal Dragon Princes would be extremely disappointing.

Zaonite
18-07-2010, 17:53
New Teclis sculpt would be nice, but i've just spent the past week doing a Tyrion conversion from the plastic hero kit! Dammit!

New plastics is awesome. The HE were my first fantasy army. I remember walking into GW Wakefield and spotting the battalion box... five minutes later I had spent in excess of £100.

All the sets sound brilliant, although just like most other people I'd like some non-gorilla-fisted spearmen. My bets are on;
Plastic Dragon Princes
New Core box (PLEASE BE SPEARMEN!)
Swordmasters
Combined PG/WL box

Heimagoblin
18-07-2010, 17:54
Not aure I understood what you meant there Scyer. Do you mean these products are all going to be released before the end of the year. If it is, what do you think lizardmen will get. Plastic salamanders/razordons?

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 17:56
Combined PG/WL box

I'm glad my theory rubbed off on somebody.;)

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 18:27
I think the 4 plastic kits will be:
> Plastic WL
> Plastic PG
> Plastic DP
> Plastic Archers/Spears

The PG/WL box would be freaking huge if it had to include separate cloaks, heads, weapons and White Lion lions.

Lord Mayor Of Y'ha-nthlei
18-07-2010, 18:37
I have a feeling people are going to be dissapointed if they expect a combined box of either WL/PG or SM. there isn't much precedent....or should i say that it's been pointed out before in WD (by either Priestly or Johnson) that the reason that there isn't plastic HE (and the same goes for DE and Eldar) elites already is that each choice looks so dramatically different makes it impossible to make combined kits in the manner of Dwark Quarrellers/Thunderers and Empire Pistoliers/Outriders. TBH other than simple equipment options most of the current kits thant make more than one unit type are warmachines. with regards to HE most i'd hope for is a SH/Reaver box, and thats only because the IoB reavers look a lot like SH.

Personally I'm hoping for Lions, Swordmasters, Pheonix Guard and Sea Guard as the plastic kits.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 18:40
I not generally expecting one, I was just thinking it would make sense and would be do able ,while killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Oh and your hoping for exactly the same kits as me, I think the DP are fine compared to some models in the range. I'm looking at you Spearmen. :shifty:

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 18:55
I have a feeling people are going to be dissapointed if they expect a combined box of...
Agreed. Combined kits are pure wishlistery.

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 18:57
I not generally expecting one, I was just thinking it would make sense and would be do able ,while killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Oh and your hoping for exactly the same kits as me, I think the DP are fine compared to some models in the range. I'm looking at you Spearmen. :shifty:

Two birds in 1 stone = less money for GW.

And we all know how they like the moneyz.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 19:00
In that case ScryerIi'll change my plastic box prediction to; Phoenix Guard, White Lions, Dragon Princes and Swordmasters/Seaguard (Not sure which).

@ Herofox: Too true

Vazalaar
18-07-2010, 19:31

Before 2011 we will get releases for High Elves (confirmed), Skaven, Empire, O&G, scenery, direct only miniatures and new paints. If this is true. I will spend a lot of money the coming months:).

MajorWesJanson
18-07-2010, 19:41
I can guess what a few of those releases are, but had no idea that Dwarves or Lizardmen were getting anything. Nice to see you mention Dark Eldar as well;)

Do these codes include the Holiday Bundles? Some could just be regiment boxes for various armies.

Zaonite
18-07-2010, 19:42
New paints? What the? Are the current ones being repackaged into the crappy conical pots?

Where and when did I miss something? Skaven and Empire also getting more stuff?

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 19:43
Before 2011 we will get releases for High Elves (confirmed), Skaven, Empire, O&G, scenery, direct only miniatures and new paints. If this is true. I will spend a lot of money the coming months:).

It's not so much new paints as new paint pots (http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/05/29/36532).

Falkman
18-07-2010, 19:49
Nice touch with the colour showing on top of the lid, will make it easier to find the right pot in the mess that is my painting table.

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 19:52
Anyway, it's all been discussed before:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260434

Don't want to derail this thread any more than necessary.

Tokamak
18-07-2010, 19:54

Hahaha you actually think that GW is going charge less for a customisable kit? Look at the Greatswords!

Haha, the mere idea.

People are going to WISH GW packaged units seperately in case combi-kits are released.

Trains_Get_Robbed
18-07-2010, 19:58
If a new G.E model/hero conversion comes out I' m going to be one unhappy duck. :( I have been doing a conversion kit-bash, greenstuff resculpt for about 3 weeks now and if they come out with one of these mine will not be unique any longer. :(

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 20:02
If a new G.E model/hero conversion comes out I' m going to be one unhappy duck. :( I have been doing a conversion kit-bash, greenstuff resculpt for about 3 weeks now and if they come out with one of these mine will not be unique any longer. :(

Yours will always be unique. That is beauty of personal conversions/sculpts.

SeaSwift
18-07-2010, 20:25
That is beauty of personal conversions/sculpts.

Trust me, there is nothing beautiful about my monstrous attempts at conversions :cries:

I wonder what'll happen to the Battalion? If the Spearmen are updated (assuming LSG come in a box that can make Spearmen too) then the Battalion will have to be redone... And then there's the possibility of Silver Helms.

silverstu
18-07-2010, 20:49

2 metal blisters
2 metal boxes
4 plastic boxes

My guess would be-

Dragon Princes
White Lions
Phoenix guard
and desperately hoping for Seaguard or new Spearelves [ie a decent core choice]

Metal boxes-
shadow warriors
great eagle?

GodlessM
18-07-2010, 20:52
Scryer, that's more then the rest of us have heard and seems an awful lot for a wave. What are the metal boxes?

Blisters are characters (saw a very nifty Noble model), plastics are White Lions, Phoenix Guard, and Dragon Princes.

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 20:57
Scryer, that's more then the rest of us have heard and seems an awful lot for a wave. What are the metal boxes?

Blisters are characters (saw a very nifty Noble model), plastics are White Lions, Phoenix Guard, and Dragon Princes.
What, you think I'd just tell you? :p Confirming the Phoenix Guard and Dragon Princes was more than enough from me. :p

Harry
18-07-2010, 20:59
Yes but I told them that. :p

You have to give them something else. :D

silverstu
18-07-2010, 21:01

You have to give them something else. :D

Like "is there a core choice in there?" ....:shifty::D

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 21:01
If that's directed at me, I confirmed the Phoenix Guard and Dragon Princes long before you Harry. :p A couple of threads ago. :p So that and a slew of confirmed product codes is an ample helping. :p

HeroFox
18-07-2010, 21:04
No hints of what the metal boxes are atm.

Tlotsqi
18-07-2010, 21:08
You have to give them something else.

Yes! Talk me about this LM stuff:D

Scelerat
18-07-2010, 21:10
HRm, this "release in waves" thing is getting interesting. I hope we'll see Dark Elves soon enough. We don't have any elite units done in plastic, with the exception of Cold One Knights. Black Guards, Witch Elves and Executioners would be absolutely brilliant.
But anyway, IF that happens, it won't be for the next year (I guess), so time to bask in the glory of the Asur.

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 21:12
Yes! Talk me about this LM stuff:D

*Steps off to a corner of the room with Tlotsqi*

*whispers* It's just three metal blisters and at least one of them is a re-release.

HRm, this "release in waves" thing is getting interesting. I hope we'll see Dark Elves soon enough. We don't have any elite units done in plastic, with the exception of Cold One Knights. Black Guards, Witch Elves and Executioners would be absolutely brilliant.
But anyway, IF that happens, it won't be for the next year (I guess), so time to bask in the glory of the Asur.

Yeah, Dark Elves! They're noticably absent from my list and I was expecting those in the second half of this year. Hmm.

EDIT - We haven't even talked about all the Skaven goodies yet! :D But this is the High Elf thread and we must stay on topic. ;)

Falkman
18-07-2010, 21:17
Blisters are characters (saw a very nifty Noble model)
Care to share anything more about this?
What kind of "look" did the Noble have? We currently have one metal Noble with a white lionish look, and one with a dragon princy (well it's got phoenix motifs but I think it resembles a dragon prince anyway :p) look.
Did you by any chance see what the other character was?

Thanks for sharing. :)

MajorWesJanson
18-07-2010, 21:17
If that's directed at me, I confirmed the Phoenix Guard and Dragon Princes long before you Harry. :p A couple of threads ago. :p So that and a slew of confirmed product codes is an ample helping. :p

When Rumor-mongers compete, we win :D

For now I am waiting on bulking out my High elves beyond the few characters I have now. Starter in September, Phoenix Guard, Dragon Princes and othr kits in October. Maybe a nice bundle box in December?

BramGaunt
18-07-2010, 21:38
*whispers* It's just three metal blisters and at least one of them is a re-release.

Thanks for all of the info, mate. Really good to have you back =)

Ahm, three metal blisters? For HE? Or are you refering to Dark Eldar? Or am I totally confused now?

Edit: Ah, talking about Lizardmen. Got it, got it.

Gozew
18-07-2010, 21:40
It's not so much new paints as new paint pots (http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/05/29/36532).

Got a few of these in my local store, I was a bit "wtf is going on here.." when I saw them I must admit haha

Much better for me as currently I put a dab of paint on the lid and get them using that.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
18-07-2010, 21:41
When Rumor-mongers compete, we win :D

For now I am waiting on bulking out my High elves beyond the few characters I have now. Starter in September, Phoenix Guard, Dragon Princes and othr kits in October. Maybe a nice bundle box in December?

We just need to set up some kind of competition to see who is the best rumour monger. Should find out plenty of stuff then. Especially if the winner is called king monger while the rest are just mongerettes :D.

And I'll change my earlier list to: Empire: Knights, Dwarfs: Hammerers/Ironbreakers, Orcs: Savage Orcs, on the plastic front anyway.

Cheers for the info anyway peoples.

Nixon

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 21:42
We just need to set up some kind of competition to see who is the best rumour monger. Should find out plenty of stuff then. Especially if the winner is called king monger while the rest are just mongerettes :D.
More like we'd all be mugs. :D

Harry
18-07-2010, 21:45
There is no competition.
Hastings is the master.
The rest of us mere padawans. :D

Starchild
18-07-2010, 21:47
Ah, yes, and some metal characters and some other stuff.Pie for the Pie God!!! :D

What I'm really hoping for is resculpts of the core troops-- spearmen and archers. The current models are just ridiculous with their silly orc-sized hands and fat heads. :(

If the most common troops don't look up to par, it's enough to prevent me from starting an army. At least the IoB sea guard are looking good.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 21:48
All hail the Pie! May the Pie-god reign supreme! :D

Edit: Yeah Starchild HE really do need those plastic core kits I agree.

On another note maybe we could have a pie anthem :D

All hail the 'O mighty pie...

DragonPup
18-07-2010, 21:50
Is Martin Footit* sculpting them? His previous High Elf work has been magnificent.

(*Am I spelling that correctly?)

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 21:52
Well if he's not, then we might as well forget this release if he hasn't but I will bet a lot of Gold, come to think it I could use Greatswords for that :yes:, he will of sculpted them.

Thoras
18-07-2010, 21:53
EDIT - We haven't even talked about all the Skaven goodies yet! :D But this is the High Elf thread and we must stay on topic. ;)

*Rubs* lets talk more about them... staying OT is over rated right?

Scryer in the Darkness
18-07-2010, 21:55
Is Martin Footit* sculpting them? His previous High Elf work has been magnificent.

One more 't' = Martin Footitt. But a big thumbs up for asking- :yes: - most people butcher designers'/sculptors' names without a care.

*Rubs* lets talk more about them... staying OT is over rated right?

Art book, magic deck, 6 blisters and 2 plastic boxes.

*runs from the room squealing like a girl!*

Harry
18-07-2010, 21:55

Yes he is. Yes it has.

(No your not it has another 't' at the end). :D

He started on this little lot about two years ago.

But he has not done everything by himself.

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 21:57
Well Scryer you could always start a thread for those Skaven minis. ;) *cough*hellpitabomination*cough*

DragonPup
18-07-2010, 22:13
:yes:

Yes he is. Yes it has.

(No your not it has another 't' at the end). :D

He started on this little lot about two years ago.

Well, there goes my checking account in October. Thanks guys.

Scelerat
18-07-2010, 22:23

EEEEE!! That's awesome indeed! 6 blisters? SCs, maybe, and/or support weapons and/or Warplock Engineers?

Plastic boxes could be Plagueclaw Catapult and HPA (going from AB entries that don't have minis as of yet) or maybe Gutter Runners (going from units that just don't look coherent with the newest minis). Or any mix of those.

defunct
18-07-2010, 22:23
Now even Lizardmen getting models? great :D
Is every army getting new models every time their magic card deck is released? It would be great.

Can't wait to see some more of Footitt's work with this incoming wave. :) The HE in the starter set are breathtaking to say the least.

Zaonite
18-07-2010, 22:26
Well Scryer you could always start a thread for those Skaven minis. ;) *cough*hellpitabomination*cough*

You alright Deff Meks? That's an awful sounding cough :p

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 22:28
Yes thankyou, it just seems to happen every time I think of skaven. *cough*hellpitabomination*cough* See! There it goes again. ;)

(Oh and by the way, I got the cough off Harry :p )

BruderLoras
18-07-2010, 22:28

WaitwaitwaitwaitWAIIIIIIT!!

Details man, DETAIIILS!

Tlotsqi
18-07-2010, 22:31
Steps off to a corner of the room with Tlotsqi*

Cheers! I know what to ask to my source the next time we will meet.:D

And if you're right about the number of releases untill the end of year, I think that I'll have a lot of other things to ask...(sadly there is no ninja smiley).

Zaonite
18-07-2010, 22:35
I think trying to get any more details on this matter is like trying to get blood out of a stone.
The rumourmongers (The Meat Pie, Scryer and 1066) will no doubt trickle little things to us here and there over the next few months. Extra details would be great, but I think we've bugged them enough... for now. :evilgrin:
Thanks for the rumours guys!

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 22:36
^ This, great job guys, we appreciate everything you do! :yes:

Munting
18-07-2010, 22:36
thanks mongerettes.
Need to know if theres cores or not though: exciting times these are!

Whitesun
18-07-2010, 22:39
hope it's not Tyrion or Teclis for the rumored characters - there are already 2 of each, and they're decent sculpts. Now, hopefully the monkey faced SWs and characters get redone.

BruderLoras
18-07-2010, 22:46
I think trying to get any more details on this matter is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

No harm in trying, is there? I hear the catholic church has precedents.
:D

Thanks for the rumours guys!
Indeed, that Skaven tidbit just made my day. It would just be nice to know exactly how much it made my day.
;)

ddfishy
18-07-2010, 22:47
Anyone think a separate plastic gryphon option may be in the cards somewhere???

Witchblade
18-07-2010, 22:50
I'd just like to thank all the rumour posters here for their contributions to the community. :)

Deff Mekz
18-07-2010, 22:54
Anyone think a separate plastic gryphon option may be in the cards somewhere???

Only on page 24 of your imagination. ;) I'm not being agressive here eithe, I personally think the Griffon will not be made in plastic while IoB is the starter set, as a exclusive griffon to the set would drive IoB sales.

ddfishy
18-07-2010, 22:58
Only on page 24 of your imagination. ;) I'm not being agressive here eithe, I personally think the Griffon will not be made in plastic while IoB is the starter set, as a exclusive griffon to the set would drive IoB sales.

fair enough...

Malakai
18-07-2010, 23:00

Unlikely any of the characters will be remade. Those always seem to be unique to starter boxes.

Tymell
19-07-2010, 00:06
Even though I'm not a High Elf player, I -am- interested to see them nearing all-plastic status. Counting the reavers and swordmasters from the Island of Blood set, and if phoenix guard, white lions and dragon princes all do come about (and so long as I'm not missing any) then we're only left with characters, shadow warriors and the great eagle.

TheKingInYellow
19-07-2010, 00:13
In the last year and a half, I've blown the budget on 20 strong units of WL, PG, SM and DPs, and now they are all coming in plastic.

Le **SIGH**

Oh well, now I have a good enough excuse to run 3x10 hordes of WL, PG, SM and DPs... :)

Amornar
19-07-2010, 00:16
Screams like a little school girl: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the rumours boys, you just made my weekend :D

Max_Killfactor
19-07-2010, 00:18
Reading this thread was the best decision I made today. Thanks Scryer, really looking forward to the Skaven.

Oh and uh... hooray for High Elves.

HeroFox
19-07-2010, 00:22
In the last year and a half, I've blown the budget on 20 strong units of WL, PG, SM and DPs, and now they are all coming in plastic.

Le **SIGH**

Oh well, now I have a good enough excuse to run 3x10 hordes of WL, PG, SM and DPs... :)

I pretty much have 30 of each of the above.. and 12 or so DPs.

I'm probably only going to pick up a box of each.. :-/

Demrush
19-07-2010, 00:33
All this talk about a possible wave for skaven and a confirmed one for HE makes my ugly zombies and black knights cry...:(

Lord Mayor Of Y'ha-nthlei
19-07-2010, 00:53
All this talk about a possible wave for skaven and a confirmed one for HE makes my ugly zombies and black knights cry...:(

I find that hard to believe, surely there would be a shortage of tear ducts

more seriously, I'm slightly concerned about the HPA, if it's anythong life the picture it'll be rubbish

Kalandros
19-07-2010, 01:15
The rule book has pictures of a bunch of abominations that aren't taller than a chaos warrior... Crawling abominations, yay for true line of sight huh? Though those are all conversions so lets hope the real model isnt a crawling monster

loveless
19-07-2010, 01:18
Hmm...issues...personal ones :p

Skaven or High Elves? Lovely stuff from both, and High Elves have access to all those delicious 8th Edition Lores. But Skaven are so delectable.

If a confirmed plastic Core box for High Elves is in the works, I'd head out and start painting dragons and chariots right now.

If Skaven are going to get redone (or extra) weapon teams or Eshin units, I'd be out to pick up some lovely clanrats and doomwheels.

Either way...looks like I'll be blowing some cash on Fantasy.

Thanks a ton, rumormongers.

Joewrightgm
19-07-2010, 01:27
Not really caring about the minis for HE and Skaven, but Damn me if Orcs and Goblins and Orks are in the mix for later this year, HELL'S YEAH SON!

someone2040
19-07-2010, 02:16
Maybe this thread should just be turned into your general post-September fantasy release thread? :D
Cool to here about new High Elves. Maybe 2011-2012 Tale of Fantasy Gamers will be High Elves for me, we'll see...
Lizardmen blisters sound cool. Re-release of one blister, and 2 new ones huh. I wonder what could be getting re-released. The only post 6th ed mini's that were blisted to be discontinued are Kroxigors/Terradons (Ignoring Temple Guard due to the new plastic set). Neither of them seem likely, alther Terradons could still fit. Maybe I'm forgetting something, limited 6th ed standard bearer?
2 new ones, I suspect would be characters. I'd stake my guess on Gor-Rok, and then either Tetto'Eko or Oxayotl model. Tetto'Eko I think would prove more popular.

Vermin-thing
19-07-2010, 02:53
High Elves eh? Here's hopping for a new battalion set along with the plastics.

I think that combining kits sounds like a good but there are problems. assuming we are taking about a 10 elf box. Take for example Phoenix Guard/white lions. Phoenix Guard are very disciplined, and march in strict formation, wile the White Lions are depicted as being more free flowing and animated. That would mean that two types of legs are necessary. Second is the capes being different material, fur vs cloth/dragon scales. So now we have twenty different capes, witch would take up a fair amount of room on the sprue. The helmets would also not mesh very well, as well as the halberds/great axes. Wile combining the kits might seem like a good idea, in the end you'd just be left with a hybrid of each, which is not what we want. It would be possible in a 20 man kit, but why not just make two separate kits?

saï.gonn
19-07-2010, 07:23
Hi,

Concerning the 4 plastic boxes of HE, it seems that there will be WL, DP and PG. The 4th plastic box ... could it be the battalion (with spearmen, archers and SH) ? :)

Bye bye !

BramGaunt
19-07-2010, 07:35
Same thought occured to me right now.

GodlessM
19-07-2010, 09:50
I was told that the High Elf Reinforcements box is the 4th kit, containing the new plastics and a bit of old stuff I think.

I think people are jumping too much on this news of stuff for all the other armies, as aside from the Skaven, the rest are just army boxes like they release every Christmas. Don't expect 5+ armies across two games to get several new kits/blisters at the same time.

Deff Mekz
19-07-2010, 09:51
New incoming article. I highlighted some bits I fund quite interesting. ;)

The Scions of Ulthuan
The High Elves are the noblest of races, the remnant of a once-mighty civilisation that spanned the globe. The titanic destruction unleashed by the Daemons of Chaos and the monstrous betrayal of the Dark Elves left their nation a shadow of its former might and glory, and yet the High Elves fight on. For millennia they have stood sentinel against the depredations of Chaos, thwarting the machinations of the Dark Gods over and again, and though their population has dwindled, the skill and determination of their armies remains steadfast.

In battle, the armies of the High Elves are a glorious sight to behold. Ranks of soldiers clad in unspotted white and glittering silver stand against the dark tide of the Forces of Destruction. With a grace and agility that is incomparable to the lumpen, slothful gestures of lesser mortals, they cleave through the foe with spear and blade. Volleys of white-fletched arrows are sent slashing into the foe, accompanied by the heavier, deadlier shots of the Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers, which can punch through even the thickest armour.

Ranks of elite warriors, such as the mystical Phoenix Guard and the ferocious White Lions form regiments of deadly close combat troops, their skill and speed a match for any foe. Powerful High Elf Mages direct the ebb and flow of the Winds of Magic to smite the foe with incandescent flames, or protect their allies with the dazzling power of Asuryran, the king of the Elven gods.

This October is a great time for the children of Ulthuan and High Elf players around the Studio have been getting excited in preparation. Not only is Games Workshop releasing a veritable host of fantastic new High Elf miniatures, but the website and White Dwarf will also be packed full of High Elf-related goodness, from tactics articles to step-by-step painting advice and swathes of new background.

In the meantime, it's out with the Skull White Spray undercoat and your pots of Mithril Silver - time to brush up your tactics and awaken the slumbering Dragons. In a few months the full might of Ulthuan goes to war!

For more information about the High Elf releases in October keep an eye here on the Games Workshop website, remember that subscribers to the Games Workshop newsletter receive all the latest news first (you'd have known this yesterday, for example), so make sure you both register with the website and subscribe to the newsletter!

The pages of White Dwarf will also contain more information in coming months as well as a special High Elf-focused issue in October that no High Elf collector, nor fan of the background of Warhammer, will want to miss.

Well there you are anyways, the usual Incoming! garbage.

Edit:
I was told that the High Elf Reinforcements box is the 4th kit, containing the new plastics and a bit of old stuff I think.

You don't know how unhappy I'am to here that, I was really hoping four seperate kits would be realeased, well at least it's a way to save money! :). Cheers, Godless.

GodlessM
19-07-2010, 10:00
Nope, the 4th kit isn't a new thing, and from what I heard today the 2 metal boxes Scryer mentioned are just more characters just they are on mounts and/or special characters, similar to how the Juggernaut Exalted Hero for instance is boxed instead of blistered.

Deff Mekz
19-07-2010, 10:38
I'm guessing a new Imrik and a new Eltharion then, cheers Godless.

Zaonite
19-07-2010, 10:51
The fourth box is a new battalion! With models given in multiples of 5 and not 4! With seaguard and new archers!

(this is just wishlisting isn't it?)

GodlessM
19-07-2010, 11:34
Absolutely

Desert Rain
19-07-2010, 11:41
Well now I'm glad that I don't have any phoenix guards, and not that many WLs either. A new battalion/reinforcements box makes sense, though I'd rather have a 4th unit instead.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-07-2010, 11:51
So simply 10 WL, 10 PG and 5 DP? Comes to £65 if you just added together the normal kits (assuming Goldsword and normal cavalry prices), which seems about right for the normal £50/£55 mark.

Nixon

silverstu
19-07-2010, 11:56
Bit of a shame that there is no core in the release- but I reckon I'll just pack out the back of my units with my old plastic elves[from when the griffon was just card]. They might release a separate seaguard kit in the next year or so and in the mean time I'd have all the new stuff to paint up. :)

Triple7s
19-07-2010, 13:25
High Elves will be nice, although im not a collector of them i must admit the models do look stunning for the most part. Especially those in the new starter set. I'm among the people who think that PG and WL are in line to be redone but who knows.

Regarding Skaven, Im gonna guess at the two plastics being Slaves and the long rumoured HPA. No idea what goodies could possibly be in the blisters though. The rest of 2010 will be a good time to be a Skaven player by the sounds of it.

Scelerat
19-07-2010, 13:34
No way they will devote a plastic box to Slaves. After all, they can be made with the regular Clanrat box. Half the clanrats in that box are, in fact, slaves.
If it's infantry, it should be the Eshin troops. They look terribly dated beside the newer plastics.
Edit: we shouldn't rule out the possibility of a combined support weapon or Rat Ogre box.

loveless
19-07-2010, 13:40

Hooray! The non-Asrai Elf armies are once again held back by horrible, horrible core models :(

Ah well...thanks for the info, Godless.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-07-2010, 13:43
Hooray! The non-Asrai Elf armies are once again held back by horrible, horrible core models :(

Ah well...thanks for the info, Godless.

While the Asrai are held back by horrible rules, with the only models with any competitive rules being horrible in the aesthetics sense.

Nixon

loveless
19-07-2010, 13:55
While the Asrai are held back by horrible rules, with the only models with any competitive rules being horrible in the aesthetics sense.

Nixon

*Sigh* So very true.

I get the feeling that if the new High Elves are up to snuff with my tastes, I may have to make some sort of fluff excuse as to why my Archers look a heck of a lot like Glade Guard :p

I was really hoping for a Sea Guard kit. With the rather small amount in the starter set, I was crossing my fingers that they'd have a companion set released around the same time. Ah well, no such luck.

Deff Mekz
19-07-2010, 14:01
Regarding Skaven, Im gonna guess at the two plastics being Slaves and the long rumoured HPA. No idea what goodies could possibly be in the blisters though. The rest of 2010 will be a good time to be a Skaven player by the sounds of it.

For the blisters I'm going to guess Tretch and maybe those Globadiers that were supposed to be in the stater, and maybe the big 4 clan warlodrs rescultpted? Either that or new weapon teams. (maybe new sculpts) While for plastic kits, the Hellpit Abomination and Plastic Weapon Teams/ Eshin Stuff. Although I wouldn't rule out RO.

Scryer in the Darkness
19-07-2010, 14:08
Same thought occured to me right now.
I'm surprised it took so long (not really directed at you Bram) the four plastic sets for High Elves have been pretty much laid out over the last few weeks by myself, Harry(?:p), Godless, et al.

MajorWesJanson
19-07-2010, 14:09
Reinforcement battalion for High Elves would be right up my alley. 2 of those, 2 normal battalions, and 3-4 starters worth of elves should make a nice army core.

Malakai
19-07-2010, 19:14
I really wouldn't buy anything with Silver Helms, Spear Elves, or archers in it. Models are terrible. They need to just go ahead and make a box of multi-part Sea Guard.

verydarkshadow
19-07-2010, 19:26
^ agree 100%. It was a hard enough pill to swallow when they released the army book with no updated core plastics, but to go through a second wave without an update for either spears, archers or sea guard is terrible.

I'm very grateful that the "elite infantry army" of WFB is finally getting some of their elite infantry in plastic. But would it kill them to just replace ONE of the hideous core box sets that their rules virtually compel us to purchase? Seriously...

Lars Porsenna
19-07-2010, 19:33
I don't have a major problem with the current generation of Silver Helm plastics. Hands are not quite the gorilla-fists of the spearmen, heads look OK, and have a nice amount of detail -- except the horses are sub-par. Sort of kicking around the idea of replacing all my SH horses with the Chariot plastic horses (seems like Ebay is selling them at $6.50 for 2, for the most part). The other option is to just wait, use as-is, and see if multi-part plastic Elyrrions are released, and pinch their horses.

You can make some nice armored archers by combining the spearmen and archers kits (basically using the arms and quivers from the archers, and the heads, torsos and legs from the spearmen kits). Result is a better looking model IMHO than either the old plastic or metal armored archers.

Anyone notice the HE sketch page in the BRB? The swordmasters have been verified as having the same look, as have the Reaver knights. Might give you a good idea of what the rest of the new plastics will look like...

Damon.

HeroFox
19-07-2010, 19:36
Is it me, or are White Lions, Phoenix Guard and Sword Masters.. not that bad (the metal ones) in the first place? You would think they would address our terrible looking core first..

BramGaunt
19-07-2010, 19:44
Because plastic miniatures sell better. If you have a 25 % discount through shinie new elite plastics, children jump on it way better.

If you had to pick between brand new revamped Ford Fiesta and brand new revamped Porsche Boxter, which one would you pick?

HeroFox
19-07-2010, 19:46
If you had to pick between brand new revamped Ford Fiesta and brand new revamped Porsche Boxter, which one would you pick?

Hmm.. I don't agree with that analogy.

I would rather have them rework models that I'll need in every game and form the backbone of my forces; hence the need for Spears/LSG/Archer box.

SeaSwift
19-07-2010, 19:51
Because plastic miniatures sell better. If you have a 25 % discount through shinie new elite plastics, children jump on it way better.

This doesn't work as an analogy for GW, because I can't afford either of those.

Hang on...

Personally, I can't understand why they feel HE Special will sell better than HE Core, especially with 8th being more Core-orientated.

EDIT: Ninja'd - damn, HeroFox, you type fast!

loveless
19-07-2010, 19:55

Hmm...I think it's more like this:

"If you had to pick between a brand new car and a brand new snowmobile, which one would you pick?"

One is useful in most situations, at most times - "Core" models, like a LSG kit would provide.
The other is only useful in certain climates or locations - "Special" models, like WL, PG, or SM.

Naturally, the GW approach is to get everything in plastic first - with hybrid kits being the first offenders in most situations.

However, I'd bet that a LSG box would bring in more High Elf players than a PG box.

Of course, though, that's not happening in this round, so we'll have to wait for a future release to see if that holds true or not :p

MajorWesJanson
19-07-2010, 20:09
Except that while the Core models are not as visually appealing, they are already in plastic. Transferring the Specials from metal to plastic is a benefit as generally the price of the box is the same or reduced from equivalent metal models, the cost of the box is far less.

Each plastic special kit means 2 metal boxes are replaced with one plastic, simplifying logistics. Plastics are lighter, making transport cheaper. Plastic is cheaper per unit than metal, so cost of materials is reduced. Plastic is generally easier to build and convert, making it more appealing to players getting into the army.

In specific, multipart plastic Swordmasters, Sea Guard, and Reavers were a bad idea to release, as they would directly compete for sales with the starter. If they released plastic multiparts for those units at the same time as the starter, people who only want them will buy them instead of the starter, or only get one starter and some multi-parts instead of multiple starters. People who buy the starter will already have some of those models, and need less multi-part kits to finish their army. Either way, GW loses sales.

Far better to convert the special units from metal to plastic now, to take advantage of boosted interest in the High elves from the starter, and wait until another wave or new army book to do multi-part swordmasters, Seaguard, and Reavers.

Scryer in the Darkness
19-07-2010, 20:13
Except that while the Core models are not as visually appealing, they are already in plastic. Transferring the Specials from metal to plastic is a benefit as generally the price of the box is the same or reduced from equivalent metal models, the cost of the box is far less.

Each plastic special kit means 2 metal boxes are replaced with one plastic, simplifying logistics. Plastics are lighter, making transport cheaper. Plastic is cheaper per unit than metal, so cost of materials is reduced. Plastic is generally easier to build and convert, making it more appealing to players getting into the army.

In specific, multipart plastic Swordmasters, Sea Guard, and Reavers were a bad idea to release, as they would directly compete for sales with the starter. If they released plastic multiparts for those units at the same time as the starter, people who only want them will buy them instead of the starter, or only get one starter and some multi-parts instead of multiple starters. People who buy the starter will already have some of those models, and need less multi-part kits to finish their army. Either way, GW loses sales.

Far better to convert the special units from metal to plastic now, to take advantage of boosted interest in the High elves from the starter, and wait until another wave or new army book to do multi-part swordmasters, Seaguard, and Reavers.

^ If you want to know know my thoughts on the matter and on what I think of Wes's post, just read the first quote in Wes's sig. :D

MajorWesJanson
19-07-2010, 20:37
^ If you want to know know my thoughts on the matter and on what I think of Wes's post, just read the first quote in Wes's sig. :D

I could change my sig just to confuse people :D

Granted, I would love multi-part plastics for Sea Guard and Swordmasters (I care less about the Reavers) but they are currently a bad idea from a business perspective as I posted above. Overall, High Elves have a lot to look forward to. Maybe not a slice of lemon wrapped around a gold brick, but at least the gold brick part :D

Harry
19-07-2010, 21:06
See, it is not that tricky to understand where they are coming from if you step back and apply just a little common sense.

GenerationTerrorist
19-07-2010, 21:11
Current tally for me is 15 Dragon Princes and 30 Phoenix Guard.

In a twisted way, I really hope that the new plastic models are woeful. Just so that I don't feel the urge to buy them!

loveless
19-07-2010, 21:34
Ah, I fully understand where GW is coming from - I just rarely agree with their process. I've known far too many gamers that refuse to start an army because of bad Core or Troop choices (depending on the game). All the fanciful Elites and Specials and Rares in the world won't make these players start an army if 25% of their force in points is made up of craptacular plastics.

This is what held back so many would-be Skaven players prior to the 7th edition update.
It's still what holds some people back from playing Marauder-heavy WoC.
It's why so many people were disappointed that Corsairs weren't the best choice for Dark Elf core, given the other options are horrible to behold.
It was less apparent with the High Elves, since you needed so few of their Core models in 7th edition. Now you need far more, and it's frustrating to some would-be players.

With only 10 LSG in the starter box (which seems so odd in an edition where they seem to stress large infantry blocks), they're going to be a ridiculously hot commodity on the bitz-trader websites, as people will want more and more of them, but won't need to buy the silly command bits every time.

I'm actually not convinced that people will buy set after set of Island of Blood. I can see a couple of splits, but beyond that...well, the bitz market is going to be quasi-full of Griffons...That Griffon's going to hurt more than help in the long run, since you just don't need that many.

I'm sure things will sell well for the starter box and the High Elf release, but I'm not convinced it was the most profitable option. The starter box may have far too many "unique plastic units" than it should have, and in far too low of a quantity given what we've seen so far.

I'm going to be watching all of this carefully to see what exactly happens.

Malakai
19-07-2010, 21:44
Ah, I fully understand where GW is coming from - I just rarely agree with their process. I've known far too many gamers that refuse to start an army because of bad Core or Troop choices (depending on the game). All the fanciful Elites and Specials and Rares in the world won't make these players start an army if 25% of their force in points is made up of craptacular plastics.

This is what held back so many would-be Skaven players prior to the 7th edition update.
It's still what holds some people back from playing Marauder-heavy WoC.
It's why so many people were disappointed that Corsairs weren't the best choice for Dark Elf core, given the other options are horrible to behold.
It was less apparent with the High Elves, since you needed so few of their Core models in 7th edition. Now you need far more, and it's frustrating to some would-be players.

With only 10 LSG in the starter box (which seems so odd in an edition where they seem to stress large infantry blocks), they're going to be a ridiculously hot commodity on the bitz-trader websites, as people will want more and more of them, but won't need to buy the silly command bits every time.

I'm actually not convinced that people will buy set after set of Island of Blood. I can see a couple of splits, but beyond that...well, the bitz market is going to be quasi-full of Griffons...That Griffon's going to hurt more than help in the long run, since you just don't need that many.

I'm sure things will sell well for the starter box and the High Elf release, but I'm not convinced it was the most profitable option. The starter box may have far too many "unique plastic units" than it should have, and in far too low of a quantity given what we've seen so far.

I'm going to be watching all of this carefully to see what exactly happens.

*Agrees with everything you said*

My G/F wants to play HE, but we don't want to buy the core troops. I've just spent the last hour digging through my old models and came up with 20 Spear Elves and 12 Archers from the 3rd (or is it 4th?) edition box set. Sure the models aren't great, but I think I'd rather use those than buy and build the current ones, which for me would be a soul crushing task.

Besides, who has archers in light armor anymore? Not to mention models all in one pose. Should make for a strange, but nostalgic looking army. At least until better models are released and I can replace them.

Tokamak
19-07-2010, 21:47
The starter box may have far too many "unique plastic units" than it should have, and in far too low of a quantity given what we've seen so far.

That's because nobody seems to be treating it like a stand-alone set, a 'warhammer in a box' that can be bought and played without needing anything else except for a bit of glue and paint.

If you treat it as an actual starter set, even if you already own lots of warhammer, then it's very interesting.

loveless
19-07-2010, 21:55
That's because nobody seems to be treating it like a stand-alone set, a 'warhammer in a box' that can be bought and played without needing anything else except for a bit of glue and paint.

If you treat it as an actual starter set, even if you already own lots of warhammer, then it's very interesting.

Well, yes and no.

I'm definitely struggling to see the point of such tiny High Elf units, where even the elite High Elves will be fielding larger units in 8th edition.

It actually doesn't make a ton of sense to me...

Here's a starter army for Skaven: tons of Clanrats/slaves, some weapon teams, rat ogres, and a couple of useful characters. Great to start off, and great to expand upon - which really has to be the goal of the starter set. The Clanrats match what you can buy in store, the weapon teams match the Clanrats, and the Rat Ogres match the "bonus" one you'd have if you built a Plague Furnace.

Meanwhile, we have the High Elves. 10 LSG, 10 Swordmasters, 5 Ellyrion Reavers, a mage, and a prince on a griffon. Well, alright, what do I do if I want to add more LSG? Go buy spearmen models that don't match? The Swordmasters are close enough to the metal versions that that will work out, but those LSG are going to look good in the starter box and then...what?

Ellyrion reavers? Nice enough, and you probably won't really want to add on to that unit in most cases, but if you do you're stuck with models that look completely different.

Sure, you can buy more starter kits, but you're going to be so overloaded in redundant command models and griffons that you're going to start wondering why you bothered. Meanwhile, by the time you've got enough High Elves out of the starter set, you've got 3 Skaven armies waiting in the wings :p

I understand why they did it - it's a gorgeous kit. I just know I'm going to have a hard time selling the High Elves to new players if I have to tell them that to fill out their ranks, they either have to buy more starter sets or put up with ugly models.

Malakai
19-07-2010, 22:05
I'm not overly worried about later adding onto the HE models in the box. I mean, do any of you really believe that multi-part kits for the Reavers, Swordmasters, and Sea Guard are not in the near future?

Malcontent
19-07-2010, 22:08
Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is this "reinforcement battalion"? Is it going to be replacing the current battalion or is it a separate battalion with different miniatures?

loveless
19-07-2010, 22:09
I'm not overly worried about later adding onto the HE models in the box. I mean, do any of you really believe that multi-part kits for the Reavers, Swordmasters, and Sea Guard are not in the near future?

Well...the Assault on Black Reach box continues to be the only source of plastic Deffkoptas and I believe Multimelta dreadnought arms.

Deff Mekz
19-07-2010, 22:10
Where you around at the time of the Nemesis crown. If so it is like the Empire one. If not it bascially contains all the new releases and that is all really.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-07-2010, 22:15
Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is this "reinforcement battalion"? Is it going to be replacing the current battalion or is it a separate battalion with different miniatures?

As I posted earlier, I'd reckon 10 PG, 10 WL and 5 DP for £50-£55. A nice set in my book.

Nixon

Deff Mekz
19-07-2010, 22:18
I know Nixon thnkayou, I was rather replying to Malcontent post. ;)

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-07-2010, 22:21
I know Nixon thnkayou, I was rather replying to Malcontent post. ;)

Oh sorry so was I (in a round about way), I just quoted you for some strange reason (if I think back, it probably was just that I couldn't be bothered to scroll up ;)).

Nixon

Deff Mekz
19-07-2010, 22:23
Haha, don't worry about it Nixon I do it all the time, only to realise that I had done such a thing and ending up rushing off to edit my post. :D

Tokamak
19-07-2010, 22:23
Well...the Assault on Black Reach box continues to be the only source of plastic Deffkoptas and I believe Multimelta dreadnought arms.

The plastic nobz followed soon after though, though they were of so much better quality that there was disparity in style again. I hope that doesn't happen again.

The Swordmasters look a tad exaggerated compared to the metal ones, which is fine as long as any seperate kits carry that style through.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-07-2010, 22:27
Haha, don't worry about it Nixon I do it all the time, only to realise that I had done such a thing and ending up rushing off to edit my post. :D

Edited ;):D.

Nixon

Deff Mekz
19-07-2010, 22:34
lol :D

To make sure I actually post something worthwhile. Anyone else thibk it's convienient that Skaven and HE get release waves right after the starter is released?

silverstu
19-07-2010, 22:35
*Agrees with everything you said*

My G/F wants to play HE, but we don't want to buy the core troops. I've just spent the last hour digging through my old models and came up with 20 Spear Elves and 12 Archers from the 3rd (or is it 4th?) edition box set. Sure the models aren't great, but I think I'd rather use those than buy and build the current ones, which for me would be a soul crushing task.

Besides, who has archers in light armor anymore? Not to mention models all in one pose. Should make for a strange, but nostalgic looking army. At least until better models are released and I can replace them.

I'm going to use my old 4th ed plastics for my core choices[alongside the starter set]- I think they are a much better option than the current stuff.

Plus I agree with this- I'd be fairly confident of another wave of releases not too far off.

I do agree with loveless - at least a seaguard box would have allowed the starter set to built upon in terms of core, alongside the new elites in the wave. I wouldn't be mad keen to get more than 2 starter sets and may only get one. Still it is a great set it's just that one faction is still hamstrung by poor core plastics to expand it with.

Emeraldw
19-07-2010, 22:38
*cries* :cries:

So....awesome.....If only I could partake in this!

I have 10 Phoenix Guard currently which I guess I might sell, but no one around me really plays fantasy. Its all Warmachine, 40k and a few flames of war! I don't know if I can convince myself to keep my High elves...Much less expand!

*Cries more* :cries:

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-07-2010, 22:38
On the topic of how many sets you would need to make decent units of SG and SM from the starter, I just had a look at the pics and it didn't look too hard at all to convert the command to be normal. A bit of work I grant you, but shouldn't be too hard.

*cries* :cries:

So....awesome.....If only I could partake in this!

I have 10 Phoenix Guard currently which I guess I might sell, but no one around me really plays fantasy. Its all Warmachine, 40k and a few flames of war! I don't know if I can convince myself to keep my High elves...Much less expand!

*Cries more* :cries:

Keep it up, I haven't played any fantasy for months and I'm still expanding my numerous armies, and I'm going to start both HE and Skaven because of the starter. So hold out for sunnier times.

Nixon

Deff Mekz
19-07-2010, 22:39
I personally will not start HE like I planned to until new core comes out, although I might pick up some White Lions so I can learn how to paint animal pelts.

MajorWesJanson
19-07-2010, 23:06
Anyone else thibk it's convienient that Skaven and HE get release waves right after the starter is released?

Yeah, it's almost like GW thinks that interest in the armies will help sell models for those armies. They've never done that before. It's not like the armies that came out after Space Hulk were Tyranids and Blood Angels, after all... Or that Space Marines and Orks got a new book and wave release respectively after Black reach...

:p

Deff Mekz
20-07-2010, 08:27
Wes, that was merely a filler so my post didn't get deleated, Old Deff here isn't that stupid. :p

silverstu
20-07-2010, 08:51
So- we are getting Dragon Princes, White Lions and Phoenix Guard in plastic, mostly done by the wonderful Mr Footitt...

so who is his mate then?:shifty:

Alex, Juan and Brian would be chief suspects....

FabricatorGeneralMike
20-07-2010, 10:50

Yes, but just about everything else is usable in that set. The SM's look alright if they are mixed into a tac-squad. You can use other dreadnought arms on the dreddy if you don't want to use the Multi-Melta. The Terminators match up well with the box set. The Deff koptors are fine and Boyz mix in fine with the plastic box. The only thing that gets redundant is the SM and Ork charactors. If you want to do some slight conversion work they can look somewhat unique and good.

As it was posted before with the HE after you get the IoB box, and the elite units, if you want to use something other then the godawful spearmen your stuck with the LSG. Why such a small unit when you would want 25% of your army to be those models?

I would love to do a HE army, but I look at those models and think, maybe tomb kings or chaos is the way to go :shifty:

Miredorf
20-07-2010, 20:03

Apart from the money loss for GW, id like to say that i would hate these units to be in a ''combined kit''. Their armours are different enough right now that the units would lose so much character if combined...

It'd be a perfect reason to keep my metal PG.

Of course, if you arent a true HE lover you may prefer some money savings...

stahly
20-07-2010, 20:18
So- we are getting Dragon Princes, White Lions and Phoenix Guard in plastic, mostly done by the wonderful Mr Footitt...

so who is his mate then?:shifty:

Alex, Juan and Brian would be chief suspects....

Dave Thomas did the plastic Chariot, probably him?

Dargon
21-07-2010, 00:41
Actually, the complete opposite is true. Two birds in 1 stone = more money for GW.

See, when you have only one product in the box, you've only got the market for that one product (ie: Dwarf Miners are only going to be bought by people who intend to use Dwarf Miners in their army... excluding converters looking for parts).

However, with a combined kit, like the Dwarf Quarrellers/Thunderers, suddenly you've grabbed the entire market. All those Dwarf players who only use Quarrellers are still buying the set. All those Dwarf players who only use Thunderers are still buying the set. All those Dwarf players who use both Thunderers and Quarrellers in their army are extra happy, because they can allocate as many models to be either unit type as they need.

There was a poll on the Bugmans Brewery forum once. The results were a surprisingly perfect divide between Dwarf players. 25% played a traditional non-gunpowder force (Quarrellers market), 25% played a pure gunpowder force (Thunderers market), while 50% fielded a mix of the two (market for both).

If the Quarrellers and Thunderers had been two seperate sets, they would have taken twice the resources to produce, taken up twice the shelf space, and been in direct competition with each other (each set losing 25% of their market).

Having said all that, I have no doubt that the coming High Elf sets will each only cover the one unit. I'm simply pointing out that GW's choice to do it doesn't seem to be a financial one. It's also not a question of compatability between units - if GW can turn the chariot crew from Archers into White Lions, then with a little imagination they can potentially combine almost any High Elf units they choose into a single set.;)

I'd guess the other person involved will be the sculpter responsible for the Dragon Prince steeds. Dave would be a good bet, or perhaps whoever was responsible for the Glade Rider steeds (Alex Hedstrom? Steve Saleh?).

Just a thought...

Harry
21-07-2010, 08:04
I'd guess the other person involved will be the sculpter responsible for the Dragon Prince steeds. Dave would be a good bet, or perhaps whoever was responsible for the Glade Rider steeds (Alex Hedstrom? Steve Saleh?).
I don't think it would have been Steve Saleh. He went to work for Artizan Miniatures years ago ... right after the Wood Elves were released.

shabbadoo
21-07-2010, 08:54

Actually, the complete opposite is true. Two birds in 1 stone = more money for GW.

See, when you have...

All true, and beyond just the marketing aspect and the appeal of the set, you have one mold instead of two(a savings in time, materials, and labor cost), only one box to mock up and print(a savings in time, materials, and labor), one unit to package(a savings in time and labor), one less box to ship, etc. Combo-kits keep things nice and simple, which means "Mo money! Mo money! Mo money!", simply because it is exceptionally efficient. It also means one less box taking up shelf space, so you can display even more more sets. It also means less production time overall, meaning you can move on to making something else that improves the product line/makes money. People seldom consider all the logistical issues. ;)

I would love a multi-part Lothern Sea Guard/Spearmen combo-kit to come out in the future, and it would be easy to do.

...but Harry has dashed such hopes already. No pie for you! :p

Anyways, based on the more recent High Elves and the as-yet-to-be-released High Elves, things can only get better of the pointy ears. :cool:

Black_Omega
21-07-2010, 08:58
I dunno why they dont do combo kits. Or a regular box then smaller conversion boxes. I'm sure GW can find a way of making more money that way!

silverstu
21-07-2010, 09:27

Well the chariot looks excellent- so that would not be a bad call.

I don't think it would have been Steve Saleh. He went to work for Artizan Miniatures years ago ... right after the Wood Elves were released.

Any chance, after his foray into dark elves, Jes might have popped back to do some of their lighter cousins? It's not like he has had much to do lately...:p

All true, and beyond just the marketing aspect and the appeal of the set, you have one mold instead of two(a savings in time, materials, and labor cost), only one box to mock up and print(a savings in time, materials, and labor), one unit to package(a savings in time and labor), one less box to ship, etc. Combo-kits keep things nice and simple, which means "Mo money! Mo money! Mo money!", simply because it is exceptionally efficient. It also means one less box taking up shelf space, so you can display even more more sets. It also means less production time overall, meaning you can move on to making something else that improves the product line/makes money. People seldom consider all the logistical issues. ;)

I would love a multi-part Lothern Sea Guard/Spearmen combo-kit to come out in the future, and it would be easy to do.

Anyways, based on the more recent High Elves and the as-yet-to-be-released High Elves, things can only get better of the pointy ears. :cool:

I haven't followed the combi set argument too closely - but surely from a design point of view single boxes are better. Sure short term, with the restriction of how many plastic kits they can do, combi sets enable them to get out multiple units through a single set, and frees up shelf space. BUT with a single set- it enables them to give the unit more character, add more options and extras. Looking at the new seaguard- they a have different helmets, they have the "fishy" detailing on the spears, the command is unit specific [champions helmet, standard, musician]. On a combi set they would have to have compromises- less variation in heads as you would have to enough of each type, the command would be shared and the torsos would be shared- and therefore less unique. Longer term single boxes give us much better models to represent units- units which are more individual, with more parts for conversions, scenic bits and unit specific items.:)

So three new single kits alongside the starter set does indeed give the high elves a bright future. [and with a bit of luck there will be a stand alone seaguard box in the not too distant future].:)

Desert Rain
21-07-2010, 09:55
I don't think that combined kits work with the HE elites. Each unit looks different from the others and having two of them build from the same kit would make them look to similar to each other.

GodlessM
21-07-2010, 09:57
Guys Darnok just deleted over a dozen posts in the IoB thread all discussing the pros and cons of joint boxsets, so how about we get back on topic and make his life a little easier yea?

Tokamak
21-07-2010, 10:03
Nah that was about GW's policy on leaks.

silverstu
21-07-2010, 10:25
Guys Darnok just deleted over a dozen posts in the IoB thread all discussing the pros and cons of joint boxsets, so how about we get back on topic and make his life a little easier yea?

I'm all for making Darnok's life easier I just thought it was relevant to the release - the individual sets offering alot more than a combo.:)

Back to the topic then- I'm intrigued as who designed what- it will be interesting to see how the designs for each unit has progressed- especially after seeing how the seaguard came out. There should be a fair few options with each kit as well- looking forward to seeing what extra bits accompany the sets and how well the range matches up as a whole- potential for kit bashing [Chracian heavy cav with white lion flavoured dragon princes...].

Miredorf
21-07-2010, 11:50

Give yourself a break and get some sleep :p. The deleted posts in the other thread had nothing to with what is being discussed here. Also where would we discuss the convenience or not of combined boxed sets but in a thread called ''incoming: high elves''?

Anyway, and back on the matter, now that seems confirmed the starter set comes with some disappointing 10 seaguard models, i have my hopes an individual kit with them wont be delayed too much in the future as it is objetively ridiculous that they expect you to buy several (as in really a lot) of starter sets just to build up a decent unit or 2 of core!! troops...:cries:

On the bright side, but it is a totally personal thing, all i really like and need from the set is the griffon and something tells me ebay is going to be flooded with them really soon... (Although the Seaguard command look extraordinary too).

Miredorf
21-07-2010, 13:27
Why would I sleep in the middle of the day?

You obviously arent doing it enough at nights! (i didnt check the times of your posts to be truth :p, was just fcking with you)

knightwire
21-07-2010, 14:42

GodlessM, you have a reoccuring tendancy to be very hypocritical in thread discipline. Bud... your not a Mod, and you don't follow your own decrees as evidenced below. (not the only example either.)

Why would I sleep in the middle of the day?

O...k.. .

Neither of these are "on topic" nor make Darnok's life easier when he will have to come through and delete our posts.

Really, just relax and let the thread develop as it does and let the Mods keep it on track if it needs to be. :)

MechGumbi
21-07-2010, 15:20

I would think that GW would rather sell 1 starter and multiple unit boxes because the unit boxes will cost more per figure for the player which will equal higher revenue for GW. I don't think they will see multi-part kits as competition for the sales of the starters, they would always rather one starter per person. They would love for people to buy the starter and then start both a Skaven and HE army, but they at least hope they will start one of the two armies. In my opinion, they should include less popular (but not unpopular) armies in the starters to increase the number of players of those armies. But also choosing a "horde" army as one of the two included armies is also a very good idea from a future sales of models perspective.

On a separate and on topic note, my FLGS told me that a new HE army book is coming in October as well, based on an email that he got from GW (meaning that he put his current one on the clearance table). I don't know what email he was talking about, or any other information from him about this, but I thought others on this thread might find that interesting. I hope that he didn't just misread the miniature release as also including a new Army Book.

Lars Porsenna
21-07-2010, 15:33
If it is true that a new armybook is coming out in October (and I'm in a "we'll see" mode here), I expect it to completely nerf HE as they are right now. So have fun while you can...

Damon.

GodlessM
21-07-2010, 15:42
If it is true that a new armybook is coming out in October (and I'm in a "we'll see" mode here), I expect it to completely nerf HE as they are right now. So have fun while you can...

Damon.

There's no book, and have no idea why you would think there is.

knightwire
21-07-2010, 15:42
On a separate and on topic note, my FLGS told me that a new HE army book is coming in October as well, based on an email that he got from GW (meaning that he put his current one on the clearance table). I don't know what email he was talking about, or any other information from him about this, but I thought others on this thread might find that interesting. I hope that he didn't just misread the miniature release as also including a new Army Book.

I think that would really conflict with a rumor mongers recent acquisition of a product release sheet. Though still always possible. :)

Damon.

Where are HE right now exactly? Holding on to the middle tier by their finger nails and praying they don't run into Skaven at tournaments? They are so very beatable right now. Even with those ghastly re-rolls for ASF. ;):rolleyes:

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2010, 15:57
I think that would really conflict with a rumor mongers recent acquisition of a product release sheet.
Not to mention GW's official Incoming e-mail where they themselves specified "new miniatures" only. There's no book... I checked, twice. :D

twistinthunder
21-07-2010, 15:58
it would also conflict with what GW has told us.

Lars Porsenna
21-07-2010, 15:59
There's no book, and have no idea why you would think there is.

You would have to read the post previous to mine then.

Damon.

GodlessM
21-07-2010, 16:03
Couldn't be bothered as I know there is no book coming.

MechGumbi
21-07-2010, 17:39
I personally think my FLGS is wrong as well. I think he must have misread the most recent announcement. I was just conveying the information I had.

I was just informed by the FLGS owner/manager that he wasn't sure about the HE army book. He is now saying if someone buys the book on the cheap they might just get into HE and buy more minis from him, so it might just be a sales technique.

GodlessM
21-07-2010, 18:03
I personally think my FLGS is wrong as well. I think he must have misread the most recent announcement. I was just conveying the information I had.

I was just informed by the FLGS owner/manager that he wasn't sure about the HE army book. He is now saying if someone buys the book on the cheap they might just get into HE and buy more minis from him, so it might just be a sales technique.

Thanks for the updte.

Avian
21-07-2010, 22:29
Lots of people thought the Boar Boyz and Trolls in May would be accompanied by a new greenskin army book (despite the GW email saying nothing about it), so it's not as if it's the first time this has happened. ;)

GodlessM
21-07-2010, 22:45
The difference being last time it was because some of us had heard something about a book elsewhere before hand and put 2 and 2 together. Unfortunately in the end we came out with 5 :(

AlphariusOmegon20
22-07-2010, 03:48
Ore some new character introduced in White Dwarf maybe...? High Elves Prince on White Lion? This crazy Idea just struck my mind, I have no source for that, it's just my imagination... =)

THAT would be awesome and would fit into my Chracian White Lion army list perfectly.

Ditto, X 2!!

Yeah erm..
as long as there's no new AB, there's not going to be new units.

I wouldn't say that. the Nightspinner is now an official addition to the Eldar codex, thanks to the white dwarf entry.

It is possible that they could do something similar for Fantasy armies also.

And of course as was mentioned some time ago, there is something else on the cards for High Elves. ;)

It's the logical thing to do when eliminating (big) metal kits. Expand the options, expand the sales.

I'd lay more on Chaos getting that type of book before HE do, based on what's in the big rulebook.

saï.gonn
22-07-2010, 06:23
Hi,

Did somebody see the new plastic kits of October ?
If yes, how are helmets/heads ? Are they too big ?
Are the minis static ?
Do they look like the old minis ? Or do they have a different "design" ?

Bye bye !

Sinaris
22-07-2010, 06:32
Dont think anyone gotten that far yet Sai Gonn, but based on what weve seen so far, its safe to assume there just going to be awesome.

minionboy
22-07-2010, 06:40
Am I the only one that would rather see the plastic Sword Masters, Sea Guard and Reavers as the 3 sets released?

The WL/PG would be good too, same with the DK's, but honestly, the PG/WL look pretty good as they are, and GW even mentioned a while back it seems that elite HE kits were unlikely.

A new and beautiful core unit, beautiful fast cavalry and at least one of the elite units in plastic would be great additions to their line.

Desert Rain
22-07-2010, 07:11
While I am very happy about PG, WL and DPs in plastic I would really prefer new core units instead since the current core aren't that great while the special units are pretty good for being over 12 years old in some cases.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
22-07-2010, 08:30
While I am very happy about PG, WL and DPs in plastic I would really prefer new core units instead since the current core aren't that great while the special units are pretty good for being over 12 years old in some cases.

Yes, that is my view, and probably the general consensus as well. Oh well...

Nixon

shabbadoo
22-07-2010, 08:49
I haven't followed the combi set argument too closely - but surely from a design point of view single boxes are better. Sure short term, with the restriction of how many plastic kits they can do, combi sets enable them to get out multiple units through a single set, and frees up shelf space. BUT with a single set- it enables them to give the unit more character, add more options and extras...

The Sea Guard do have lots of nice little details, like the sea weed fronds, the fish helmet, and the inset wave pattern on the hems of their robes. Little details like the ones on the Sea Guard bodies would likely be left off the bits on a combo-kit, so visually, yes, individual kits would be much better. High Elves are dressed in unique unit uniforms so it wouldn't work the best for them visually. On the other hand, for something like Orc Boyz and Orc Arrer Boyz it would work very well, including visually.

I also just noticed that the pics in the first post show the Sword Master standard in the Sea Guard unit, and the Sea Guard standard in the Sword Masters unit. I think they put the wrong horn arms on the wrong models too. Call me crazy, but the spiraling sea shell horn screams "Sea Guard" to me more than the plain horn does. :p Who knows, maybe I am wrong.

For some reason I shut out White Lions. I'll have to add four boxes of them to my shopping list, plus another chariot to build up as a lion chariot. :cool:

EDIT: My prospective High Elves army shopping list comes to a total of $666.00! :eek: Am I being given a sign to NOT collect High Elves or what? :p

Desert Rain
22-07-2010, 09:56
EDIT: My prospective High Elves army shopping list comes to a total of $666.00! :eek: Am I being given a sign to NOT collect High Elves or what? :p
That means that your High Elves will be all awesome and heavy metaly.

Miredorf
22-07-2010, 12:04
Definitely PG are the last unit which needs to be redone in the list. But the transition to plastic is inevitable.

WL, saving the standard and the musician, are quite outdated in truth and even the molds seem to be in bad condition (there used to be more variety in poses than now).

DP i think they lost some of their awesomeness with their latest incarnation and also the multiple appearances of 5 men plastic cavalry sets points towards a prompt revamp (it has been confirmed anyways, in case someone still has doubts).

I personally dont care what they release now or later as its likely we are going to have the full range revamped during this edition.

OllieC23
22-07-2010, 15:40
Definitely PG are the last unit which needs to be redone in the list. But the transition to plastic is inevitable.

WL, saving the standard and the musician, are quite outdated in truth and even the molds seem to be in bad condition (there used to be more variety in poses than now).

DP i think they lost some of their awesomeness with their latest incarnation and also the multiple appearances of 5 men plastic cavalry sets points towards a prompt revamp (it has been confirmed anyways, in case someone still has doubts).

I personally dont care what they release now or later as its likely we are going to have the full range revamped during this edition.

Almost exactly how I feel! I just wish GW would hurry up and redo the spearmen. They would sell so many more with decent models.
At this point my core for HE will just be seguard from IOB and archers

Maybe its just nostalgia but the old metal DPrinces were much better than the current ones.

Bloody Nunchucks
22-07-2010, 16:25
dragon prince plastic models would be my first choice, then elite infanty, i dont think our core needs redoing

verydarkshadow
22-07-2010, 16:37
dragon prince plastic models would be my first choice, then elite infanty, i dont think our core needs redoing

...huh? I'm struggling to find the right words to express just how baffled I feel after reading this. Frankly, HE core models are downright nausea-inducing. Seriously, they're f*gly.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm amazed you're satisfied with them! :confused:

Ramius4
22-07-2010, 16:40
...huh? I'm struggling to find the right words to express just how baffled I feel after reading this. Frankly, HE core models are downright nausea-inducing. Seriously, they're f*gly.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm amazed you're satisfied with them! :confused:

Amen to that.

I have a feeling that that they'd save Silver Helms until the next book release. I doubt that they'll remain as a special choice for 8th edition since cavalry has a bit rougher of a time.

Miredorf
22-07-2010, 17:40
Im also happy with the current core but, beware, this is not to say that they cant be improved a lot!

EDIT: anyway the mayority of people not liking them must have a good aspect mentioned earlier by stepping... IF they hear our cries its possible they remake the core after all.

Peril
22-07-2010, 21:16
I would love to play High Elves, but won't do it until the core have normal sized hands.

rodmillard
22-07-2010, 22:17
Meh. I have a use for 2 IoB sets worth of high elves (admittedly, this includes taking a hacksaw to one of the griffons to make a hippogriff for my wife's brettonians). I will maybe buy one box of White Lions (allowing me to split my current unit of 30 into 2 units of 20) but otherwise I already have more HE special units than I could ever use, even in 7th ed.

Sadly, it looks as though my core will remain archers and sea guard. And bitz retailers will be doing very well out of me for the latter.

saï.gonn
23-07-2010, 06:36
Hi,

I hope that helmets of new plastic kits will not be too big. IMO here is the best HE helmet :
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440060a&prodId=prod790851

For example even if the helmet of the IoB griffon rider is beautiful, I find it a little too big.

These helmets are also too big :
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440060a&prodId=prod790844

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440060a&prodId=prod790848

HE should have a very strong neck to wear such big helmets ! :rolleyes:
I really hope that they will do great minis with not gigantic helmets !

Bye bye !

BobtheInquisitor
23-07-2010, 07:13
I love those big helmets!

RanaldLoec
23-07-2010, 07:33
Ah the big helmet appreciation thread!

Zaonite
23-07-2010, 07:46
Ah the big helmet appreciation thread!

Don't dis the big helmets!! :evilgrin:
They look awesome!

How else are the HE supposed to show people that they are pansy, arrogant and all fancy-like without using big helmets? (I'm a HE player)

But bear in mind that they are made from Ithilmar which is very similar to Mithril! (light as a feather for those that don't know)