PDA

View Full Version : Mercenary forces

Malice313
18-07-2010, 12:31
I was thinking about a combined race mercenary army, similar to the old Book of the Astronomicon ones.

I was wonder what other forum members thought about the chances that Dark Eldar and Eldar mercenary bands would work under the same employer.

Also: What do you think Eldar would receive as payment for their services these days.

spetswalshe
18-07-2010, 12:49
Payment from an alien race like humans could be anything. Raw materials like precious metals or crude oil, supplies like meat or water, artefacts like long-lost Eldar technology or a famous suit of Exarch armour, or something less obvious; a hundred albino children, half an hour in the planetary archives, access to a mine shaft that has unearthed an unstable warp gate, the cessation of plans to invade a maiden world, anything. I imagine Eldar mercenaries working for other Eldar would depend entirely on what they need (weapons, armour, ships, manpower) since there doesn't appear to be some centralised monetary system. Dark Eldar payment would largely feature slaves to take back home.

I imagine Dark Eldar and Outcast Eldar might work together on a fairly regular basis, assuming the Outcast pirates don't find the DE's methods too distasteful; they're both too arrogant to rely on non-Eldar mercenaries, and have many of the same objectives in mind (stealing, punishing insolent humans, interstellar mischief-making).

MagosHereticus
18-07-2010, 14:36
dark eldar might do some honest work in exchange for slaves...

Malice313
18-07-2010, 15:01
dark eldar might do some honest work in exchange for slaves...

I'm certain of it. I was more wondering what Eldar mercenaries might want from human employers.

Balgora
18-07-2010, 15:01
don't forget kroot!!

i think kroot would wanna split some juicy captured slaves of any race with dark elder :D

Malice313
18-07-2010, 15:02
don't forget kroot!!

i think kroot would wanna split some juicy captured slaves of any race with dark elder :D

Kroot might go for live stock even?

MagosHereticus
18-07-2010, 16:10
I'm certain of it. I was more wondering what Eldar mercenaries might want from human employers.

soulstones... eldar love recovered soulstones

Kage2020
18-07-2010, 16:20
Or anything else because, for whatever reason, they deem it to be personally valuable.

Kage

Bongfu
18-07-2010, 16:20
What do Eldar pirates, like Prince Yriel, normally take in raids? Just resources? Or do they raid planets with valuable artifacts?

Askil the Undecided
18-07-2010, 16:55
What do Eldar pirates, like Prince Yriel, normally take in raids? Just resources? Or do they raid planets with valuable artifacts?

I think you answered yourself when the word "pirates" came into it. they take whatever they want to, because they're pirates.

malika
18-07-2010, 17:03
The Dark Eldar are known to work as mercenaries for humans, one piece of background suggests them being hired by some corrupt Imperial governor only to have them turn on him as well...

Chem-Dog
18-07-2010, 21:13
The Dark Eldar are known to work as mercenaries for humans, one piece of background suggests them being hired by some corrupt Imperial governor only to have them turn on him as well...

Indeed.
At the start of Malleus Eisenhorn is tracking Sadia Beldame who's well IN with the Dark Eldar....

Askil the Undecided
18-07-2010, 21:22
To be fair the Kroot might not want any chubby docile bovoid genetics.

MagosHereticus
19-07-2010, 00:29
I think you answered yourself when the word "pirates" came into it. they take whatever they want to, because they're pirates.

following a raid they then make their way to the Caribbean subsector, find a nice beach planet and bury it good and proper

Malice313
19-07-2010, 05:32
Or anything else because, for whatever reason, they deem it to be personally valuable.

Kage

I suppose this is a good point. Its hard sometimes to place alien rationality in the mind of a human.

To be fair the Kroot might not want any chubby docile bovoid genetics.

Gorx are the standard aren't they?

Its another good point though. Maybe something like hunting dogs or fighting roosters might interest them more?

Askil the Undecided
19-07-2010, 10:39
I suppose this is a good point. Its hard sometimes to place alien rationality in the mind of a human.

Its another good point though. Maybe something like hunting dogs or fighting roosters might interest them more?

Grox are in fact the standard yes, and also they are thoroughly unplesant territorial and agressive but ambulls and things that aren't too hugely divergent from the overall humanoid form that the kroot have spent time perfecting are more the kroot's genetic "bag" if you look at them. Too much grox would lead kroot toward krootox territory.

Malice313
19-07-2010, 11:09
Grox are in fact the standard yes, and also they are thoroughly unplesant territorial and agressive but ambulls and things that aren't too hugely divergent from the overall humanoid form that the kroot have spent time perfecting are more the kroot's genetic "bag" if you look at them. Too much grox would lead kroot toward krootox territory.

Yeeargh! Ambulls are tough hombre's. The tought of one that uses a gun is pretty unpleasant.

Though from memory they have a genetic structure that is extremely stable even in environment that normal cause a grat deal of mutation. I wonder how that would go with the Kroot?

Polaria
19-07-2010, 11:30
Kroot and Exodite Eldar could find common ground in mercenary business as both would likely want to be paid in biomass... Kroot would take all the exotic/nasty/weird beasts to get genes they don't find anywhere else while Exodites wouldn't certainly be against new species of less-nasty flora and fauna to boost up the ecosystems of their planets. I could see Kroot/Eldar army taking on contracts for the payment of one "Noah's Ark" ;)

Balgora
19-07-2010, 11:44
Kroot might go for live stock even?

i'm sure if they don't they'll quite happily kill anything on the spot and eat it instead of ordering it to go :), also you can probably pay kroot in your own casualties and bits of shiny wood for magic shamanistic shapery powersauce and making trinkets, as well as weapons or anything which is probably like a dream come true in not having to tidy up or really look very hard for ways to pay them :).

won't most habitable planets have some form of predatory or interesting wildlife?

if not you can probably trade for captured enemies or even your own soldiers and their weapons or maybe even just turning a blind eye to the kroot taking whatever weapons they want off the battlefield instead of destroying it as heretical.

massey
19-07-2010, 15:51
Most mercenaries would probably be happy to be paid in cold, hard, cash. Sure, the Craftworlds don't have much value for Imperial money, but other Eldar probably would. It's nice to be able to just buy that pizza instead of having a running gun battle over it.

Money, hookers, food, clothes, fuel, shiny trinkets, weapons, all are things that mercenaries desire. You have to watch out for a double-cross (on both sides), but not every Eldar pirate force is going to stab you in the back, and not every Imperial governor is going to try to steal your soulstones. In fact, I'd say it's rare, otherwise people just wouldn't do it.

Occasionally, you'd have weird payments. Allow the Dark Eldar to empty out your prisons, or clean out the mutant ghettos. It's win/win for the Imperial governor. But most of the time, I think even the Dark Eldar would take straight up cash.

N0-1_H3r3
19-07-2010, 18:30
Most mercenaries would probably be happy to be paid in cold, hard, cash.
Thing is, there isn't a singular Imperial currency. Payment in money (as opposed to resources) is region-specific, and thus extremely limited in unusual transactions (those taking place with neighbouring sectors or other outsiders, such as aliens - consider that Orks have their own, completely different form of currency). The only use an alien has for human currency is to buy things in human settlements... which is generally ill-advised given the abundant xenophobia of mankind. Similarly, the only use a human has for Ork Teef is when trading with Orks... there isn't a Bureau de Change that'll swap Ork Teef for Throne Gelt or whatever the local human currency is.

Resources, rather than abstract money, are far more likely in trade between species. Ork Freebooters, for example, tend to ask for, and happily accept, payment in guns, ammunition, explosives and combat vehicles... which they'll then probably use on whomever you've hired them to fight. Food, construction materials, minerals and metals... those are the sorts of things that are valuable to everyone. Resources can be traded on with anyone else - an Eldar Corsair band who've just obtained a large supply of metal from human employers can easily trade that metal with an Exodite colony in exchange for resupply with proper Eldar-made food and drink.

Cash only has meaning when everyone using it agrees that it has meaning... otherwise it's nothing more than a collection of meaningless tokens (as ably demonstrated by the Orks - Teef have no actual value except as Ork currency, are largely useless, and degrade over time so they can't easily be hoarded... it's a currency with no basis, but because the Orks agree that Teef are currency, they have that agreed upon worth).

massey
19-07-2010, 19:52
If you're hiring them, there's obviously not as much xenos hatred in the region as Imperial dogma would lead you to believe. It's probably outlying systems and other places with a fairly low "official" Imperial presence that would end up hiring aliens. And there's going to be some degree of currency overlap between systems. Yes, goods and rare metals are always valuable, but anything that can be exchanged for goods and services is valuable. It doesn't really matter if the gold has a picture of someone's face on it or not, as long as the guy you're giving it to wants it.

N0-1_H3r3
19-07-2010, 23:45
If you're hiring them, there's obviously not as much xenos hatred in the region as Imperial dogma would lead you to believe.
There's quite a difference between hiring Xenos to fight your enemies for you, and allowing them into your home to trade... in the former case, you're sending them (a potential enemy, bought off for now) to fight and die against your existing enemies. In the latter, you're exposing your friends, family and neighbours to their alien ways...

It doesn't really matter if the gold has a picture of someone's face on it or not, as long as the guy you're giving it to wants it.
Which is all fair and good if currency is standardised as precious metal coinage or equivalent... what one culture values, another may deem useless. As I already mentioned, money only has value because we agree upon its value... but paper money is little more than an agreement between banks and governments, and contemporary coinage often has minimal worth as metal compared to its legal worth as currency.

The Imperium goes further - for example: in Gunmetal City on Scintilla, in the Calixis Sector, ordinary bullets are used as a form of basic currency amongst the workers and hive gangs. Other cities on Scintilla deal with currency differently, as do other worlds... even though they're notionally the same currency: Throne Gelt, being derived from Administratum Tithe valuations. The Imperium isn't a capitalist society (though it may contain capitalist societies), and tangible resources (which can ultimately be used to fuel their war machine) are far, far more important than local economics.

Simply put, it cannot be guaranteed that money is worth anything to an outsider, be they an alien, or simply someone from the next planet or sector over.

Polaria
20-07-2010, 05:46
For quite many people in Imperium actual money (as in currency) has no value whatsoever. In addition to not being capitalist society Imperium also has no universal human (or xeno) rights, so limiting what people can and cannot purchase by social class and even limitations on how much currency (if any) certain people can legally own is possible and likely. Considering this a xeno or criminal merc who accepts payment in cash is either hell of a stupid ('cause he can't use the cash) or someone entirely else he seems to be (like Imperial agent).