PDA

View Full Version : Old and new. Guard from Old Guard

old guard
28-02-2006, 19:55
I've been considering doing this ever since the project logs started mainly as a means of pushing me to progress with my guard army.
It's been in the making mainly since the plastic cadians came out and its progressed slowly. innitially I had dset myself the standard task of 1500/2000pt army but over time I have just taken a view to creating all units in the codex and when the time is right I will select army(ies) according to need, mood or whatever else takes my fancy. I said all well... not quite abhumans mutants call em what you will but i've never really been into that (maybee the effect of my other army ,currently on hold pending christmas/new year 2006/7, Dark Angels. and they positively hate em).
that being said I do like some of the ogres to ogryn conversions we have seen here and I might have a bash. No ******* ratlings though!!!!!!!! (unless moulded into the tracks of one of my tanks.

Ok Stargates strating back a bit later

See Ya

old guard
28-02-2006, 22:07
Ok stargate over, Galactica to so here we go again.
Its a Cadian Battlegroup, combined arms so infantry, armour, artillery engineers etc..

As its become a bit of a tradition by the looks of a number of the other threads here's the work area in the study. And I'll start with some old and new with the command squads for 4 platoon and support troop 560 squadron.
4 platoon B company 2nd Battalion is from an infantry regiment assigned to the battlegroup and these have been nearly finished for a while now. There is still some odd bits to finish off (shoulder pad markings and regimental flash).
the support troop is from 560 (HQ) squadron part of an engineer regiment which lost most of its equipment. In keeping with all Sappers, soldiers first engineers second. These guys are still very WIP (still significant mould lines and some GS to do yet)

my_name_is_tudor
28-02-2006, 22:10
Cool episode of stargate eh? Merlins aurai-killer should be fun. Battlestar Galactica was dissappointingly uneventful though... ahem, back on topic...

Very nice officer model, I had the idea to do something similar a while back, but (as ever) never got round to it. Look forward to seeing more.

old guard
28-02-2006, 22:23
hey I didnt see Xena being a cylon coming.

I'v always liked that tank comander figure... but not in a tank . this is about the 4th or 5th and last, use I have made of him and I'm pleased with the result.
Thanks for the kind word, more to come on Friday (working away next 2 days) ****!

my_name_is_tudor
28-02-2006, 22:28
Yeah i suppose that is an event actually, lol.

I always though of getting that Forgeworld commissar tank commander, and giving him a set of legs, as its such a detailed model. The same can be said for a lot of the tank commander models, like that forgeworld kasrkin tank commander.

old guard
28-02-2006, 23:16
That fella is to long in the body I've got 2 and frankly I'm not sure what to do with them. someboby put smome kneeling legs and on the whole it looks good but I can just always see the body problem. the commisar however that would be nice.
On that subject one senior commissar (guy at the back), based around the body of the inquisitor on the throne of judgment. I will say in advance that I'm not happy with the paint job and he will be redone, but the overal look is OK. Also in the picture is the sergeant major with ceremonial axe presented by the grateful citizens of the town that they defended (still working on the whole fluff thing)

Right thats enough for tonight. Got to be up early

have a good one folks see you later (well you know what I mean)

old guard
24-03-2006, 12:11
Long time no post, I've been a bit busy, but not in a good way. I have made progress with some of the new stuff and here is some of it.

Enjoy

first up are 2 new squads both with heavy bolters and flamers, the third squad has a missile launcher and grenade launcher.

next the WIP rough riders. the concept with these guys is that they are from an 'old school' armoured cavalry unit whose armour was mostly destroyed. Given the choice of just picking up a lasgun and doing the 'grunt thing' or taking their horses (normally used for ceremonial purposes only) and causing some havoc that way, they chose the latter.

finally as part of a heavy weapon platoon a quick very early shot of the 'MILAN' missile launcher

the_yuk
24-03-2006, 12:45
Milans look good, although they look off balanced, because the front legs protrude to far forward in my opinion.

old guard
24-03-2006, 12:54
yeah I know what you mean, the real MILAN tripod has the legs equidistant from one another and I guess I could build them from scratch I just took a view of using the HVY weapon tripod because it was available. I did have a 1.35th scale MILAN and ironically the tripod from that is supporting the antenna array for my master vox, seen here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29473

Ah well, still early days with these. Change may well occur

McMullet
27-03-2006, 09:19
I must've missed this thread before... looks like you've got some nice stuff in the offing here mate, especailly the heavy bolter shooting over the wall. Let's see you get a nice combat patrol painted up and you can start playing with 'em!

old guard
27-03-2006, 16:24
Cheers chap! yeah its taking shape, but I must discipline myself to finishing bits off before going on to the next

Brush your teeth
27-03-2006, 16:28
looking good so far, i especially like the cavalry officers.

how long until we get to see tanks:D

old guard
27-03-2006, 18:20
Tanks we can do (had lots worked on from a while back, considering some really funky ones now, engineer vehicles MMMMMM!)

so I give you
hell hound (my conversion based on FW)
Hydra
Atlas
command chimera (i'm painting this beast as we speak.... well once I've got the kids to bed) All conversions.

Awaiting photos are 2 chimera, 2 russ (interchangeable turret for exterminator) a griffon and an uparmoured salamander

hope that wets your appetite

Brush your teeth
27-03-2006, 18:45
nice tanks. also i'm guessing the hydra is a conversion. does it save on the forgeworld cost? and if yes would it be possible to get a walkthrough.

also the armour on the hellhound is good.

old guard
27-03-2006, 20:38
Yes it is a conversion it uses components from the SOB immolator as does the command chimera. Let me take a couple more shots and I'll run through the general idea.

The armour on the helhound copies the FW chimera side skirts using plain and embossed plasticard along with the winged skuls off the IG armour sprue.

McMullet
27-03-2006, 20:49
Awesome stuff! I look forward to seeing the rest, you may consider my apetite whetted, wetted or however you're supposed to spell it in this context...

He Who Laughs
05-04-2006, 23:51
Cool work as always old guard - those MILAN's are very tidy - you really are an ideas man aren't you? The first thing I thought was "Cool, I wonder how I can fit that idea into the army..." :D

I've nicked your nebelwerfer idea and modernised it for my HQ command platoon - so thanks for the inspiration!

The Hellhound is great - I wish I could build one for my UN, using your idea - but it's against the rules and all (not that I'm following the rules exactly - had their first big game vs Dawn of the Dogs a few weekends - and I shot first :eek: - Kofi Annan wont be too happy with me :D )

Stop with the inspiration damnit!! I'm trying hard to finish off my Guard army and move onto my other incomplete projects - but damn you old guard, you just keep inspiring me!! Arrgghh! ;)

old guard
06-04-2006, 07:37
Pretend its a water cannon.

Sorry chap more to come i'm affraid

Dawn of the Dogs
06-04-2006, 13:22
had their first big game vs Dawn of the Dogs a few weekends - and I shot first :eek: - Kofi Annan wont be too happy with me :D )

we only wanted some food packages :cries:

oh well, much fun to be had by all that day :D

some very, very nice stuff there Old Guard! some very awesome tanks!

old guard
07-04-2006, 13:39
You are too kind sir

Kofi Annan...... He aint got no authority! (regular line from an old UK comedy series... can you guys do a broad Dorset accent?!)

He Who Laughs
07-04-2006, 16:34
Pretend its a water cannon.

Sorry chap more to come i'm affraid

I've actually had the same thought - though wishful thinking really, I can't seem to rationalise a blast of water achieving S6 AP4 damage... unless you're a tree-hugging hippie earth-child, in which case it'd be just about right... :evilgrin: :angel:

old guard
07-04-2006, 17:10
No no it can be done! some of the cutting tecniques involve using water and sand to cut through pretty much anything. Its crazzy but this is the 41st millenium!!!!!

He Who Laughs
07-04-2006, 17:27
Ha! Hadn't thought of that! Being an engineer myself, I can appreciate what water under high pressure can do to things (plate steel, human flesh... :evilgrin: )

Arrgghhh!!! :mad: ;)

See what I mean? You have these great ideas for conversions, and then I just have to follow them up - I'll can guarantee I'll be spending some time tomorrow looking up water cannon designs and seeing how they fit in with your Helhound conversion... my Guard army is going to blow out to 2000pts I can see it now... *shakes fist at old guard*

So, dare I ask what's next on the cards in the way of conversion for you?

P.S - I stumbled accidentally onto your thread dedicated to the work I've done regarded Hardened Vets - sorry I missed it when you first started the thread - I'm humbled, thank you! I must say, they are very tidy conversions, I especially like'd the trooper with the beanie - was it difficult to greenstuff?

old guard
07-04-2006, 18:05
I still havent finished the vets yet their sitting there half painted. I've got 2 chimera chassis which will become combat engineer vehicles/bridgelayer. or maybe even an MLRS stylee manticore (so many ideas so little time and money)

The new ruins the administratum in particular, I'm damn sure that you can create your own Anphelion base with the components from that!!

I'm also ploughing through Eisenhorn(the trilogy) at the moment and thats inspiring A) I want to do the man himself in 40K scale and B)the whole section on cadia I thought was great, that linked with looking at the work someone did mixing marine scouts with cadian bits for Arbites and has made me start to toy around with Cadian interior guard (they dont have arbites on cadia 1 in 10 recruits gets seconded to their version of arbites)

Guard armys being what hey are and I have 10 respirator heads doing nothing at the moment I am tempeted to go for some more interesting poses for Karskin than those very nice metal ones that are availble.

so there you go a quick insight into the jumbled mine of an old far... guard

Erestor
08-04-2006, 11:47
Mine or Mind?

Sounds a bit like mine really. The mind, I don't have a mine, wish I did though.

Very nice work here old chap, reminds me that it is possible to do guard with character, and that I should extract my digit and get on with it. Thanks, I'll keep tabs and steal the ideas like the others are. The Milan is inspired. Well done.

old guard
08-04-2006, 14:04
Damn! the mine/mind bit just confirms that it is all jumbled in there.

Thank you Erestor fot the compliments and attempting to make sense of my disturbed inner workings.

old guard
09-04-2006, 10:24
Ok time for an update with the MILAN posts, after a comment avbout the launcher looking imbalanced I altered the tripod.
' the legs sir!... did you splay them sir?.... oh! suits you sir!!'
Sorry. For those of you who think I've lost the plot and dont know what the hell I'm on about (as if more proof were needed...), little bit of quote from an old UK comedy show, yes I know... we Brits are weird.

Anyway... GET ON WITH IT!!! . yes I cut off the 2 front legs, trimmed them and stuck them back on and I think it does now look better, so thank you whoever that was (sorry its Sunday and I can't be arsed to look back who it was but thanks). I've also built up the base a bit to make the guyt lying down look more natural. achieving a decent lying down pose with Cadians is not that big a drama but you do need a little GS, I think I have about 9 figures lying down in the army so far...
It's still WIP so yes I know there are still some mould lines and a bit of cleaning up to do.
So that's it for today, possibly a bit more work to be done on the command chimera in the background but she who must be obeyed has stripped..... the wallpaper in the living room and has gone to buy some paint so I dont think I'm going to achieve much more.

Brush your teeth
09-04-2006, 10:46
... we Brits are weird...

too true:D we also all seem to love tanks and infantry, im just going past the 4000pts mark with all my guard combined. also the milan looks great, i like the missile tube idea on the loader.
this is when i wish i had at least one plastic guard army to play aroung with.

old guard
09-04-2006, 12:00
Thank you kind sir. But dont wish......just do, go on you know you want to plastic is the way.

old guard
19-04-2006, 22:44
...and we're back! after a long and frustrating Easter weekend. We're trying to move house (all the places we've looked at have either a large garage or a workshop:D :D :D ) But! she who must be obeyed consequently decided that bothe the living room and the study!!!!... needed repainting! 4 days off very little done. However progress has been made and following showing you the Milan post its nearly finished (squad markings etc.. to be completed) also a couple of Kasrkin trial paint jobs. I really like the figures (only one sergeant though so conversion necessary) but as far as getting them painted ... nightmare. so this is what I have ,picture is a bit poor, they look better in 'real' life. Ah well.

McMullet
19-04-2006, 23:30
Brilliant stuff. I love the visors on the Kasrkin helmets, very nicely done.

scrubout
20-04-2006, 00:37
Old Guard, you never cease to be a source of inspiration for me. Very nice job converting that kasrkin sergeant, I hope mine will turn out 3/4 as well (I can't settle for 1/2..no way).

Keep up the good work for Medusa V! If you have not already done so please go to the General Discussion forum and sign up with the rest of us guard commanders!

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

old guard
20-04-2006, 05:57
Thank you gentlemen, scrubout you may consider elements of battlegroup Fortress at the disposal of the High Lord Militant ( note to self: better put the painting servitor on charge)

McMullet check your PM.

firestorm40k
20-04-2006, 08:28
Brilliant stuff. I love the visors on the Kasrkin helmets, very nicely done.

I second that! Very nice converting and painting on the Kasrkin. :cool:

ArtificerArmour
20-04-2006, 13:04
Is it legal for a kasrkin seargeant to take a powerfist?

Keravin
20-04-2006, 13:34
Yes if he's a veteran sergeant.

Kotobuki
20-04-2006, 14:47
If I might ask... why did you choose to do the Camoflage on the Fatiges for the Guardsmen, with green armor, and plan OD fatigues on the Kasrkin with Camo Armor?

ArtificerArmour
20-04-2006, 17:37
Yes if he's a veteran sergeant.

Nope, he can't. He can take a power weapon but not a powerfist, as it is an officer only weapon. He does not count as an officer.

old guard
20-04-2006, 18:48
If I might ask... why did you choose to do the Camoflage on the Fatiges for the Guardsmen, with green armor, and plan OD fatigues on the Kasrkin with Camo Armor?

I've tried lots of different options to try and tie the kasrkin in with the rank and file troopers most of which looked pants, this is the first one I like. Given the amount of armour worn, if you go cam on the uniform and plain armour the cam effect is lost.

old guard
20-04-2006, 18:57
Nope, he can't. He can take a power weapon but not a powerfist, as it is an officer only weapon. He does not count as an officer.

BLAAAAAASSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. yep you're right he cant! ah well I feel a promotion on the way that'll teach me to 'mmm that sounds like a good idea before looking in the codex' damn it more work needed!

firestorm40k
20-04-2006, 23:01
Yeah, I think the only exception is Power Swords/Weapons, which can be accessed not only by Officers but by Storm Trooper Sgts and Rough Rider Veteran Sgts.

Damnd shame, cos' that's a very nice looking conversion you've done... :rolleyes:

Lavfluris
20-04-2006, 23:22
I'm not sure if I'm more impressed that you listen to Killswitch Engage (albeit, their crap album :p), or the fact that your conversion work is brilliant.

Keep up the good work. Maybe you'd like to attend the Carnage Social 2007? ;)

old guard
23-04-2006, 23:17
That sounds like a plan!
Ok then having torn myself away from watching Al Murray (going to see him live in a couple of weeks, convinced she who must be obeyed to come along too. Bonus!! not too near the front so should be safe) I present, after the fiasco of 'you cant give stormtrooper sergeants power fists', his replacement and another conversion from the kasrkin sergeant, one of my hardened veteran Troopers, whose sgt has LEGALLY (cos he can take officer items) got a power fist (he's for another night). I do like using the metal Kasrkins for conversions, I have another 3 in the hardened vets which are fairly straightforward and one of the squads of kasrkin will have a number of bareheaded troopers so the Sarge doesnt feel all lonesome. BUT enough of my rambling! Gentlemen....and ladies (maybee) the picture!

McMullet
23-04-2006, 23:49
Good work, I like the plant on the base!

old guard
24-04-2006, 00:19
Greetings fellow citizen, I do that alot, aquarium plant, the base is'nt finished though, all done a bit **** about face.

highmarshaldave
11-05-2006, 11:11
Old guard, CURSE THEE!!!!! Your Kasrkin Sergeants put mine (and their FW head swaps) to shame. To shame I say sir!

Oh, MILANS rawk! Would you be overly annoyed if a fellow guardsman yoinked them?

Dave out.

old guard
11-05-2006, 19:51
Feel free High marshal, I would be honoured.

KayvaanShrike
11-05-2006, 21:43
Haha Dave thats shocking yoinking the poor guys idea, although its very cool Old Gaurd. BTW where you in the Royal Engineers? Saw a banner thing in the posts with your workspace in it.

EmperorsChamp01
11-05-2006, 21:50
Really Awsome models my favorite are the prone Misslelaunchers. How did you make them? Keep it up i love them

old guard
11-05-2006, 22:31
Kayvaan shrike, I did nigh on 18 years TA about 10 of which were RE, the sign in the background is a souvenir following Hoon the Buffoon and his equally inept colleagues dissbanding us a few years back (not that I'm bitter you understand:eyebrows: )

Emperors champ: The missile launcher is an IG heavy weapon tripod, with the angle of the legs altered with a Rhino missile launcher on top. it is altered somewhat and there is a Kroot rifle cut up to form the sights. the dude lying down is made from standard components with waist trimmed a little to achieve a reasonable prone position. Hope that helps.

highmarshaldave
12-05-2006, 01:43
Feel free High marshal, I would be honoured.

Thankee Old Guard. I, however, should be honoured that you'll permit me to steal such a rip-roaringly rocking idea. Cheers!

Dave out.