PDA

View Full Version : Ravenor Question, Minor Spoilers

LuckyKa
18-07-2010, 22:17
I'll speak loosely as not to give it away too much.

Towards the end, when Ravenor is forced to use the "Door", after getting clued up on how it may work. He thinks of the number 404, and Arethusa.

They later mention within in 5 years would be ideal.

Now, this is where my confusion Lays...

Further on, its mentioned that 1000years is actually the real number.

Now, is this 1000 years past/present? Or 1000 years "away"?

(Sorry if this is too cryptic, any one who's read it, or as far as me will recognise what I'm on about. I just wish to not give away anything more then necessary)

A Shadow
18-07-2010, 22:43
1000 years in the past was how I read it.

Craftworld
18-07-2010, 22:45

Towards the end, when Ravenor is forced to use the "Door", after getting clued up on how it may work. He thinks of the number 404, and Arethusa.

(Sorry if this is too cryptic, any one who's read it, or as far as me will recognise what I'm on about. I just wish to not give away anything more then necessary)

You could put your text in spoiler protection.

Like this.

It would make answering your question easier, as you noted, right now it's a bit cryptic.

*Edit: Perhaps not too cryptic, as A Shadow helped you out. ;) Perhaps it's simply been too long since I've read the series.

MajorWesJanson
18-07-2010, 22:52
Past. They look up what happened to the station later, which would be impossible if it was the future.

RayvenQ
18-07-2010, 22:55

Ravenor said he'd be happy with ending up in a time within plus or minus five years. He wasn't saying that he was going to end up plus or minus five years from the current date, but plus or minus 5 years were what he hoped would be a worse case scenarioSo he'd have been happy with ending up coming out anywhere between 399 and 409 of M41. However, It seems he didn't focus on which millenia he wanted either, so instead of getting the year M41.404 and the Arethusa, instead he ended up in the year M40.404 at the Listening Station Arethusa.

So yes, he ended up a thousand years in the past.

LuckyKa
18-07-2010, 23:02
Ahh, thanks for the quick replies. It seems I had misread it.

I interpreted it as 5 years travel time. Thanks muchly, makes a great deal more sense.

So wrong location AND time. Cool. Thanks again.

RayvenQ
18-07-2010, 23:09
Although, in a way It could be considered the right time and place, Ravenor needed medical aid badly and the Doc at Arethusa was bold enough to be willing to help and skilled enough, with good enough equipment, to be able to save his life, not only that but the door wasn't, by itself, strong enough to get them back where they wanted to go exactly, but the Krukkid (I think that's it) surrounding the Listening station gave enough of a boost for the door to take them precisely where they wanted.

Oh and do keep reading until the very end, if you haven't, since you find out what happened to the Doc.