PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Highborn on Sneak Peek!

Odin
27-05-2005, 17:01
Oh yes - here he is: Wood Elf Highborn (http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer/default.htm)

Edit: Sorry, thought I'd got the scoop on that one. Should have checked the other threads first.

Il Magno
27-05-2005, 17:11
It is a fantastic model :cool:

The boyz
27-05-2005, 17:16
Yeah it is a brilliant minature.

Xxcha
27-05-2005, 17:20
Suprised that it seems to be wearing heavy armour now that its painted.

Zeb
27-05-2005, 18:12
Cut of whatever he is standing on and mounte him... 65 models left to do...

He is a beautie, at least I think so.

Stouty
27-05-2005, 18:23
Suprised that it seems to be wearing heavy armour now that its painted.

When you consider how much other races have to pile on to count as having heavy armour I think that still counts as light (eg> if you look at the rmoured skeleton models you'll see they have a lot of armour on them, yet this only counts as light armour)

Tastyfish
27-05-2005, 18:24
Can anyone else only see wardancers?
Got the email saying that they were up on sneak peek but even flicking through I can't see the Highborn

Sylass
27-05-2005, 18:38
Can anyone else only see wardancers?
Got the email saying that they were up on sneak peek but even flicking through I can't see the HighbornClear out your temporary Internet Files and try again? :)

Odin
27-05-2005, 18:51
Just click refresh.

I think I'll do the armour as shaped toughened leather. Looks superb though - one of my favourite Citadel miniatures already. Surprised by the Great Weapon though - I thought they weren't going to have any, and I assumed it was one of those new-fangled sword-staffs. His armour better be pretty good, otherwise he's going to get killed before he gets to attack!

Crube
27-05-2005, 18:59
Have to say, I will be collecting Woodies, but evn so, no matter what the rules, this miniature will appear in my army. It just screams out centrepiece. It also makes me scream out " far too long painting one model" but hey...

Cypher
27-05-2005, 18:59
It's gorgeous isnt it. No other way to put it.

One for the display shelf I think.

HiveTrygon
27-05-2005, 20:00
So what is that creature under the branch, some pixie I take it. I like the idea of little critters hidding all over in the models. I wish they took that a little further with perhaps a swarm of them in logs or other natural terrain. I'll be egarly awaiting them. :D

Crube
27-05-2005, 20:17
I belive that to be a Sprite (well based on my understanding of things on the rumours thread at least).

As for the idea of lots of hiding all over a model (thinks new Treeman) - sounds good - chalk up a vote from Crube

Xxcha
27-05-2005, 21:24
"When you consider how much other races have to pile on to count as having heavy armour I think that still counts as light (eg> if you look at the rmoured skeleton models you'll see they have a lot of armour on them, yet this only counts as light armour)"

I only say heavy because when you compare it to the armour that the hero with bow is wearing there is quite a considerable difference.

Stouty
27-05-2005, 21:43
Maybe that guy doesn't have ANY armour???

Rathgar
27-05-2005, 23:37
Really nice miniture, don't recon it'd be too hard to convert him to a High Elf/ Dark Elf. I get the felling we'll be seeing him a lot on the battlefield in one incarnation or another.

Baggers
28-05-2005, 00:07
So what do you think that little blue thing he is standing on is then?

EDIT: Really must read the whole thread and not just the first page.

Baggers.

Lord Setra
28-05-2005, 00:17
Gorgeous mini. One of the best that GW has produced in a long time for fantasy.

This is going to be in my army as soon as it is available. I also agree with the spend to long painting this mini indea.

Stouty
28-05-2005, 00:49
*drools*
The summary of the thread!

Lord Setra
28-05-2005, 01:02
Lol the best description of the model all put into one word.

m1s1n
28-05-2005, 01:27
I'm pretty impressed with the model range. This should be fun to work on.

Frankly
28-05-2005, 04:03
I wonder how many people outside of WHFB are stepping into your shoes Crude?

I know of atleast 2 non fanasty players that are going to start up a WE army, on the models looks alone.

sulla
28-05-2005, 06:09
Why on earth you would want to give a great weapon to an elven foot hero I don't know, but other than that, awesome model...

BullBuchanan
28-05-2005, 06:18
Great model, as an average painter however it scares the hell out of me. I already see a 10 hour job on this mini, and still not being pleased in the end.

oatish
28-05-2005, 06:33
Curses! This miniature will find its way into my foes hands indefinately. How can I bring my self to kill such an awesome sculpt?? I guess I just have to think of the look on his when his beauty is gone. Heh heh...

oatish

adreal
28-05-2005, 08:12
Yep chalk that guy up for my wood elf lord, done and done

Galonthar
28-05-2005, 09:38
:chrome: BOING :chrome:

I`m gonna win all coming battles with this thing.....

even the most hardened chaos deamon / god / gamer will bow down (or even better, drool,..as long as isn`t on the mini) in wonder, and forget to strike back

I only don`t really know what to think about the armour,... it just doesn`t fit with a WE :eyebrows:

Crube
28-05-2005, 09:47
I wonder how many people outside of WHFB are stepping into your shoes Crude?

I know of atleast 2 non fanasty players that are going to start up a WE army, on the models looks alone.

Speaking to a few guys in my local GW, only a small proportion

(Oh and - small point - it's Crube, not Crude BTW... small point but I've not been crude for a while... not in public anyway :D )

Imbroglio
28-05-2005, 10:09
Why on earth you would want to give a great weapon to an elven foot hero I don't know, but other than that, awesome model...

Because GW are awesome and better than most magic weapons in any army list. Seriously, in the front rank of a crack regiment you can clean up. :D

Sweet, sweet mini, seriously considering these guys as a new army but... why is called a Highborn... thats a Dark Elf term, and as far as I know not a generic Elf term. The HE have their own character names unless I'm being dumb.

WE are not evil, that'd just be silly.

Regards,

-- Imbroglio

Zeb
28-05-2005, 10:48
Yepp, but Wood Elf heroes will have very few options for good armour. But I do belive the will have a few wards, and a spell that can grat a ward save as well... So that's why you could give him a GW. Personally I think I'll run it as a halberd if that is an option.

Xxcha
28-05-2005, 17:08
They couldn't have halberds in their previous incarnation, but then again they couldn't have great weapons either.

Galonthar
29-05-2005, 11:25
it does appear to me that the woodies are becoming quite a heavy army now (compared with the previous ed.),.... the lack of armour in the last ed. did annoy me alot (archers being butcherd as soon as they were in combat etc.)

but great weapons,.... I don`t know about you guyz, but I`ve never really worried about the lack of then in a WE army

Il Magno
29-05-2005, 13:42
I agree with you, but with the actual rules, the dhw is a good option in any way, and I will be happy to have it ;) ;)

Cacodemon
29-05-2005, 15:08
That's the most gorgeus Elf model I've seen from GW, so I'm looking forward to adding it to my army. The title Highborn is cool sounding, but I've never imagined Woodies to have a class distinction of aristocracy and others among them.

Galonthar
29-05-2005, 16:58
hmm... indeed

"highborn" sounds quite un-Woody,...as I think does "mage",... I`ve started calling them druids allready

Spider
29-05-2005, 17:22
That is another great model...

The upcomming wood elf army has done the impossible...for the first time in nearly two years i have started to paint! I have had a lead(!) unit of archers since 'the great lead sale' all those years ago.

And now they are almost completely painted (badly...i am somewhat out of practice is appears :confused: ).

But it is good to have the enthusiam for painting back!

Crube
29-05-2005, 18:40
Welcome back to the land of paint and brush Spider!

I have a slightly different problem, yet one that I am sure is all too familiar... I cant wait to get my hands on the new Woodies - my brushes are fairly bristling with anticipation (chronic pun intended - sorry), however, my lovely shiny Ultramarines are just not that appealing anymore - I have a small bike squad that is still not finished after 3 weeks...

And you just know that I'll get close to finishing my Wood Elves, when something else shiny'll appear... DAMN YOU GW... :D :D :D

Galonthar
29-05-2005, 19:59
I have a small bike squad that is still not finished after 3 weeks...

hmmm.... only 3 weeks,

I still have some Gondorian (LOTR) spearmen,... which I still haven`t painted after about.... +- 1,5 or maybe even 2 years,....but those models are crap.

And I`ve got a couple of knights of Dol Amroth who are waiting to be painted for about half a year or something :P (also LOTR),...allthough they are cool models,... I haven`t painted them yet becuase my chainmail / mithril silver paint has dried up long long ago,... (and I play WE, so I don`t really buy those colours all to often)

Crube
29-05-2005, 20:13
hmmm.... only 3 weeks,

I still have some Gondorian (LOTR) spearmen,... which I still haven`t painted after about.... +- 1,5 or maybe even 2 years,....but those models are crap.

And I`ve got a couple of knights of Dol Amroth who are waiting to be painted for about half a year or something :P (also LOTR),...allthough they are cool models,... I haven`t painted them yet becuase my chainmail / mithril silver paint has dried up long long ago,... (and I play WE, so I don`t really buy those colours all to often)

Only using the marines as an example of something i've actually started :D ...

Having worked for GW twice, and abusing my Staff discount on both occasions of me leaving has left my loft in need of structural reinforcement... ( I think I still have those 150 lead goblin spider riders somewhere...unless Mrs Crube's had a clear out... :mad: )

samw
29-05-2005, 22:03
Hehe, been there. I got my Bretonnians with the big box-set about 18 months ago, I 've painted about two of the rank and file knights!

Um, I'm gonna break formation, this model doesn't do it for me honestly, the whole androgenous thing and the armour, he looks more High Elf than Wood Elf. I adore the guy with the bow far more, just so dynamic, and the way he's dressed shouts I AM A WOOD ELF! Though looking at him again I get the feeling that post-demonettes GW wanted to give the girls something ;) . He's gonna be my fighty hero, which it seems will make me different to all the other WE players! :p

Xxcha
30-05-2005, 11:07
So how many hero models have we seen now. Is it two mage, WE with bow, WE with great weapon and WE with sword and bow. I think we can atleast expect another mage if they are doing the same amount as the new HE heroes.

portentjunkie
30-05-2005, 22:27
So how many hero models have we seen now. Is it two mage, WE with bow, WE with great weapon and WE with sword and bow. I think we can atleast expect another mage if they are doing the same amount as the new HE heroes.

IIRC the info from the seminar, there will be 4 each of combat and magic characters.

Zeb
31-05-2005, 09:04
But how many will be mounted, I'm doing a cav. army. Well, fast cav. any way. My only trouble is right now to figure out if my highborn shall go on a Great Eagle or a normal steed.

Galonthar
31-05-2005, 11:56
But how many will be mounted, I'm doing a cav. army. Well, fast cav. any way. My only trouble is right now to figure out if my highborn shall go on a Great Eagle or a normal steed.

will there be highborns of eagles (if the eagles actually staying??) ? I`ve never seen an unconverted lord / heroe on an eagle.

allso that about the lord (I dislike that "highborn" :P) with bow,.. have I missed something,... or has there been a painted pic of it yet?

Zeb
31-05-2005, 16:39
I could easily convert one model, but four so that they can all ride steeds and/or Unicorns. I guess they stay in the list.

Galonthar
31-05-2005, 18:31
I could easily convert one model, but four so that they can all ride steeds and/or Unicorns. I guess they stay in the list.

talking about unicorns,.... have there acatually ever been ANY models of WH WE unicorns,... :confused:

erion
31-05-2005, 18:48
Good god. If this is how the range looks, I will most certainly be putting lots of funds into a Wood Elves army late this summer.

EffCee
31-05-2005, 18:51
I absolutely adore this miniature and it will be definately be a part of my WE army. I just don't like the metal paint job on the armour...it needs to be leather in my opinion.

Quercia
04-06-2005, 12:06
Some people are saying you can get them/Advance Order the on July 11th...

Cheers,
-Q

Xxcha
04-06-2005, 20:03
I have heard the 20th of june, and i believe that that the general concenssus around hear.

Crube
04-06-2005, 22:11
talking about unicorns,.... have there acatually ever been ANY models of WH WE unicorns,... :confused:

back in the mists of time there was a Wood Elf mage on unicorn that i used to sell thru Mail Order - good seller too..........

Jen Kollic
04-06-2005, 22:34
back in the mists of time there was a Wood Elf mage on unicorn that i used to sell thru Mail Order - good seller too..........

This one (http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm83elfmageunicorn.htm) by any chance? I used to have that mini, I wonder whatever happened to it... That was a seriously kick-ass unicorn, much better than the one they gave the new Fay Enchantress.

Also, has there been any more news on stag riders? I really love the idea of having a WE hero/mage on a stag, because that would really set them apart.

Xxcha
04-06-2005, 22:43
Speaking of stags, how big do you think they will be. I doubt as big as a demonic mount, probably just bigger than an elvin steed. What do you think? Which would look best?

Spider
04-06-2005, 23:32

Still have her somewhere. Wasn't she a high elf though?