PDA

View Full Version : Daenythos

reds8n
19-07-2010, 19:20
30..plus 10 special/registered/santas elves delivery, 126 pages, Ben Counter

This is the latest in the BL site only, limited to a print run of 1,000 copies only, each signed by the author, get them whilst you can, never to be repeated unless we collect them in a few years. The previous one was "Iron Warrior" by Graham McNeill.

Just as that book was set between the events of "Courage and Honour" and "The Chapter's Due", this tale is set between "Hellforged" and the next Soul Drinker story "Phalanx".... which there's all manner of odd rumours about but that's another story and, hopefully, the beginning of a bold new era for Black Library publishing. ;)

Hellforged has been out for quite some time now, perhaps best if you don't read on if you don't want it spoilt....

... at the end of that book the surviving Soul Drinkers were finally captured by the Imperium and we were given further hints of a terrible secret known by their Chaplain as well...

The stories in this book are framed as being excerpts from one of the many books written by/about Daenyathos -- a key figure in the early history of this 3rd Founding chapter-- taken from the Soul Drinkers chaplain.

We're on Terra during the war against Vandire, we're helping the Inquisition on a mission, we see him undergo some of the trials a would be chaplain has to undergo to prove his worthiness -- and that bit is pretty cool really, it's a fine idea that fits with the chapter's background -- and so on.

The stories are all cool enough, the odd really kick ass scene or set piece and nothing overly clunky. There is perhaps the odd place that feels or reads a trifle odd.. but those bits are, largely, explained later, when we get the BIG REVEAL...

Now, I really wanted to love this book. I liked the Iron Warrior one, but felt that whilst the colour prints and the penciled artwork in it were very nice ( even if that wasn't quite how I pictured Honsou/whomever) the story was a little light so overall it wasn't quite worth the high price. here it's very much the opposite indeed. The story is good, it really does reveal somethings about the chapter that we didn't know and sets up the next arc or book very well. NO problems there. But as for the art this time...well..

..Mark Bedford is a fine artist who is very talented. I cannot for the life of me then work out why all we get in this is rough pencil sketches -- some of which are great to be fair --a fair few of which aren't inked or even finished. That, more than anything, is a big disappointment, I was looking forward to seeing some nice depictions of some of the main characters and instead.. well... we really need a rough sketch of a forearm and a bolt pistol... ?

And this annoys me, I guess the best comparison would be like paying for the super special collectors edition DVD and then finding out all the extra special features are crap. And for the extra money this premium product cost I genuinely don't think it's worth it. I'm a sucker for anything like this, limited edition and in a series that I have really enjoyed thus far and am very interested to see where they're going with the tale, but this is twice now when I don't think the high price tag is merited by the final product -- which is unusual for BL as well IMO -- and I would actually have serious doubts about whether or not to purchase the next product in this format -- which is supposed to be a "Time of Legends"/WFB one word on the street says.

Overall.... one for the serious collectors only I'm afraid.

..hmm... the big secret...are you sure you want to know.... well... alright then...

It is revealed that Daenyathos realised quite early on that the Imperium itself would become too corrupt and mired to be effective and that to truly best serve it and The Emperor the chapter would need to rebel and go their own way, so to speak. To that end he leaves messages and theories in his many works that are specifically designed to, at some point in the future, lead the Chapter to stray away from Imperial control. A secret cabal is formed amongst the Chaplaincy to guide their brethren towards this end.

The man himself, after a long and glorious career, is entombed in a Dreadnought and then fakes his own death and goes off to hide until such a time as his chapter has rebelled. AS the tale unfolds we are informed forces are sent to "arrest" him and bring him to stand trial along with the rest of his chapter. Be fair.. bet you didn't see that one coming eh !

Mabd
20-07-2010, 22:55
Spoiler: wow - correct... didn't see that one.

Wyrmwood
21-07-2010, 20:17
I have the Soul Drinkers omnibus here, but I couldn't really stomach it; nice twist though. Thank you once again, reds8n - I appreciate these threads that you start.

FabricatorGeneralMike
21-07-2010, 20:30
Thats awsome,

Spoiler And it totally fits in with the chaplians secret mission we find out about in Hellforged. I think this is great. I really like the way the Soul Drinker books have evolved.

Edit, PS they are a second founding chapter. They Soul Drinkers are taken from the orbital assault elements on the IF legion ;)

FlashGordon
22-07-2010, 17:34
I read it in one evening. It was awsome. Some of the artwork was a little wut? but overall im happy i bought it.

reds8n
22-07-2010, 18:17
Edit, PS they are a second founding chapter. They Soul Drinkers are taken from the orbital assault elements on the IF legion ;)

ha, yeah, sorry..although the Imperial Fists appear to deny this in the book, just as they claim that the Soul Drinkers were never, ever on Terra too. ;)

FabricatorGeneralMike
23-07-2010, 01:59
ha, yeah, sorry..although the Imperial Fists appear to deny this in the book, just as they claim that the Soul Drinkers were never, ever on Terra too. ;)

Awsome, that sounds freaking awsome. I thinks I might have to invest in this book as I really do like the Soul Drinkers.... I guess it doesn't help that back when 2nd ed came out, I named one of the mission legions The Soul Drinkers, the other one was the Warp Priests .... heh... to be young and silly again.. :shifty: :rolleyes:

reds8n
23-07-2010, 07:57
Well in first edition the Soul Drinkers were an elite assault company of the White Scars IIRC.

Dorns Fist
31-07-2010, 11:49
I loved the book and hated the art.

SPOILER

It broke down how Daenythos became a bad seed and set his plan to split the soul drinkers from the Imperium. It was really good.

I hope the next book isn't too bad. The way it is set up I am afraid it will be silly.

Promethius
01-08-2010, 11:13
Sounds interesting. I was all set to buy this before they tried to wack another tenner on for courier deliery. Really what I'm interested in is the phalanx which will hopefully be well described in the next book. What I hope doesn't happen is the soul drinkers run rampant around the phalanx, butchering imperial fists and generally mucking up the fluff. Destroying a crimson fist company was bad enough! Kind of hoping the soul drinkers get killed off.

Good review there reds8n. Not sure where they will be going with these limited edition prints but hopefully the next few are better than this one seems to be.

Goosey_J
01-08-2010, 17:38
What to say.

I don't like Ben Counter's writing. While these books were mildly better then the train wreck that was "Battle For The Abyss", that's not saying a whole lot. They're bad, rather than ******* awful. I don't like the fact that Counter just magicked up another Imperial Fists secondary founding chapter out of nowhere (literally, Soul Drinkers are not mentioned ANYWHERE in the fluff, except for in the Soul Drinker books). I especially don't like Sarpedon, with his self righteous "I'm right cause half of me's a spider" attiude and his omgwtfleethacksaw combat abilities (although the latter isn't a property unique to Sarpedon, it extends to most of Counter's protagonists). Quite frankly the whole idea of a semi renegade chapter of half mutant Imperial Fist degenerates just ****** me off.

The only way Counter can possibly redeem this abomination in my eyes is to have Sarpedon and merry men meet a horrible, grizzly and very much deserved death on board the phalanx, preferably with Sarpedon being punched in the face to death by Lysander.

Knowing Counter though, they'll probably somehow manage to slaughter their way through an entire chapter of Imperial Fist Marines that have conveniently forgotten how to fire their guns and make competent decisions. Then undoubtedly Sarpedon will have a flashy transformation sequence, powering up to SuperSaiyen Sarpedon lvl5 and killing Lysander by insta-gibbing him Unreal Tournament style using the Phalanx's own teleporters. He'll then set the Phalanx on a collision course with the nearest sun, before finally busting on out of there with the jet pack that he secretly built into a hidden section of his super awesome spider abdomen (but you don't find out about that till the end cause it's the epic twist).

Damn you Ben Counter, you and your awful, awful books. Give me back my however many hours I spent reading them, hoping that somehow, somewhere there would be a good bit.

TrooperTino
01-08-2010, 20:44
I don't like the fact that Counter just magicked up another Imperial Fists secondary founding chapter out of nowhere (literally, Soul Drinkers are not mentioned ANYWHERE in the fluff, except for in the Soul Drinker books).

wasn't that explained with the "deletion teams" in a very cool way in the first souldrinkers book, or the second... I might confuse things here...

btw your post was very funny... the supersaiyen sarpedon lvl 5... :D

KingDeath
01-08-2010, 23:29
What to say.

I don't like Ben Counter's writing. While these books were mildly better then the train wreck that was "Battle For The Abyss", that's not saying a whole lot. They're bad, rather than ******* awful. I don't like the fact that Counter just magicked up another Imperial Fists secondary founding chapter out of nowhere (literally, Soul Drinkers are not mentioned ANYWHERE in the fluff, except for in the Soul Drinker books). I especially don't like Sarpedon, with his self righteous "I'm right cause half of me's a spider" attiude and his omgwtfleethacksaw combat abilities (although the latter isn't a property unique to Sarpedon, it extends to most of Counter's protagonists). Quite frankly the whole idea of a semi renegade chapter of half mutant Imperial Fist degenerates just ****** me off.

The only way Counter can possibly redeem this abomination in my eyes is to have Sarpedon and merry men meet a horrible, grizzly and very much deserved death on board the phalanx, preferably with Sarpedon being punched in the face to death by Lysander.

Knowing Counter though, they'll probably somehow manage to slaughter their way through an entire chapter of Imperial Fist Marines that have conveniently forgotten how to fire their guns and make competent decisions. Then undoubtedly Sarpedon will have a flashy transformation sequence, powering up to SuperSaiyen Sarpedon lvl5 and killing Lysander by insta-gibbing him Unreal Tournament style using the Phalanx's own teleporters. He'll then set the Phalanx on a collision course with the nearest sun, before finally busting on out of there with the jet pack that he secretly built into a hidden section of his super awesome spider abdomen (but you don't find out about that till the end cause it's the epic twist).

Damn you Ben Counter, you and your awful, awful books. Give me back my however many hours I spent reading them, hoping that somehow, somewhere there would be a good bit.

QFT

Every time i read a Soul Drinkers novel i felt like becoming a tiny bit more stupid.

reds8n
02-08-2010, 10:18
What to say.

I don't like Ben Counter's writing. While these books were mildly better then the train wreck that was "Battle For The Abyss", that's not saying a whole lot.

It's probably not worth you picking this one up then. Really.

I don't like the fact that Counter just magicked up another Imperial Fists secondary founding chapter out of nowhere (literally, Soul Drinkers are not mentioned ANYWHERE in the fluff, except for in the Soul Drinker books)

err.. and ? If we never let writers add or create anything new then where would we be ? Okay, he created the chapter, more or less from scratch. Cool, good for him, it's a well established part of the 40K mythos that there's lots of lost records, chapters, armies, characters, hell even planets and systems.

Promethius
02-08-2010, 10:33
What to say.

Lol. Loved it. Sums up the soul drinkers series perfectly, and my fears for the next book. It's time for Sarpedon to die.