PDA

View Full Version : Banner of the Lady.

Zaonite
20-07-2010, 08:12
Hey guys!

I've been reading through my Bretonnia book again and I've spotted something potentially very big but I'm not quite sure about it so I'd like your help on the matter.

The magic banner "The Banner of the Lady" is worded thusly;
All enemy units with at least one model in base contact with the bearer of the Banner of the Lady get no combat bonus for ranks.

I know this stops the enemy claiming rank bonuses but can it;

1) Stop the enemy being steadfast?
2) Prevent my unit being disrupted?

It may be far flung and (highly) presumptuous but I just thought I'd check because I'm still learning 8th ed :D

Commissar Vaughn
20-07-2010, 09:20
Interesting I hadnt thought of that one...

I seem to recall an old FAQ of somesort saying that you lose any Rank related bonus, (at the time it was referring to the skaven LD bonus, becouse that was the only other thing ranks did), so I would say it would remove any such bonus including the flanking thing and steadfast.

Zaonite
21-07-2010, 08:22
Really, a full day and only one reply? Help... Please?

T10
21-07-2010, 08:31
Ranks provide a combat resolution bonus that is clearly negated by the banner.

Being Steadfast is only a "bonus" in that it is beneficial, same with disrupting ranks. Also, your supporting attacks is a benefit derived from having multiple ranks. The banner affects neither of these.

-T10

SiNNiX
21-07-2010, 13:49
Ranks and the "combat bonus" for having ranks are two completely different things. The banner negates the +1 bonus to combat from having ranks, not the ranks themselves. They still get steadfast and all that.

Zaonite
21-07-2010, 13:56
I thought that because it says "combat bonus for ranks" could include the steadfast rule too. I would have worded it like, "enemy can't claim their rank bonus". I suppose it'll be reworded at some point. Oh well, wishful thinking...

theunwantedbeing
21-07-2010, 14:16
Ah, the banner says no combat bonus for ranks, not no rank bonus.

Although steadfast isnt a combat bonus sadly.

Venerable_Bede
22-07-2010, 00:06
I also believe the banner does not affect Steadfast.

Here is my reasoning.

The Banner of the Lady says that the unit in base contact "gets no combat bonus for ranks."

Steadfast provides that a unit that has more ranks than its opponent takes any combat break tests on its unmodified Leadership.

The Disruption rule says that a unit that is contacted in the flank or rear by an enemy with two or more ranks loses its rank bonus for combat res; However, the Disruption rules expressly states that it does not affect ranks for purposes of the Steadfast rule.

Steadfast does not constitute a "combat bonus" because it does not affect the combat resolution-- i.e. the determination of who won the combat.

Steadfast affects the break test that follows combat, which is a morale rule. The break test that follows combat is the result of combat, not the combat itself.

Rolo Ramone
22-07-2010, 04:20
Steadfast is about number of ranks. The Banner is about combat bonus.

And I see the same question in less than a day. Search?