PDA

View Full Version : Always Strike First/Thunderstomp - Keepers etc.

PigeonSmythe
20-07-2010, 11:40
The BRB says that Thunderstomp is Always Strike Last.
Also in the BRB if a model has always strike first then if it attacks with an attack/weapon that is always strike last then it reverts to initative order. This means that a Keepers Thunderstomp is Initiative 10 :eek:

Hopefully this will be fixed by an FAQ as im sure the intention of thunderstomp is that they would always go at the end regardless of any other rules.

With access to ASF via magic (lore of light) there are numerous creatures that could significantly move up the striking order with their thunderstomps e.g. Griffons, Sun Dragons, Most Greater Daemons. With a 2 spell combo all thunderstomps in 12" could be ASF ini 10 if you had the dice to do it.

Foxbat
20-07-2010, 11:49
When I looked at this question, I came to the same conclusion that their Stomp/Thunderstomp changed to I-based from ASL.

It would be particularly good on a Griffon as it has a relatively high I-stat.

T10
20-07-2010, 12:38
Wow. An actual Easter egg! :)

I doubt GW is going to make changes to this. They appear quite enamoured with their portfolio of special rules.

-T10

theunwantedbeing
20-07-2010, 12:43
Spotted this a while back, seems fair.

Stepup eliminates much of the issues that could be present with it.

Casshole
21-07-2010, 00:16
I kind of like the image of Always strike first thunderstomp.

Like the Keeper is dancing a jig on there heads.

soots
21-07-2010, 00:28
I think thunderstomp is Overpowered.

Chariots pay everything to do 1D6 auto hits on the CHARGE ONLY. All monsters do it now EVERY turn without a price hike.

And look at 235pt stegadons. 2D6+1 S6 automatic hits on the charge. Abombs can do 4D6 S6 automatic hits on the charge.

Nighthawke
21-07-2010, 01:25
theres no high elf monster that gets the gift of whats his name is there? cause oh my that would be horrific :wtf: i know you can give them the regular ASF though a spell though which isnt to bad i suppose

Zaustus
21-07-2010, 01:55
Yeah, we've known about the Keeper's I10 Thunderstomp for quite a while now. It's pretty nasty.

A Slaanesh Giant can also Thunderstomp at initiative, but his is a much less impressive I3.

There are several monsters in the High Elf list, but none of them get Speed of Asuryan.

Vampire Counts can do it with a Corpse Cart, Varghulf, Abyssal Terror or Zombie Dragon, though they're all I1 or I2.

I can't think of any other ASF monsters at the moment.

Kalandros
21-07-2010, 02:27
This is actually bad for the Spirit Swallower...

You strike first, then stomp before everyone else THEN you risk taking wounds from the enemy that you can't heal until the next turn.

Paraelix
21-07-2010, 03:30
Spotted this a while back, seems fair.

Likewise... Old news.

SiNNiX
21-07-2010, 06:04
This is actually bad for the Spirit Swallower...

You strike first, then stomp before everyone else THEN you risk taking wounds from the enemy that you can't heal until the next turn.

Yes, but you probably shouldn't have (and still shouldn't) been using Spirit Swallower in the first place.

Your goal for your KOS is to never have him out of combat while never giving your opponent an opportunity to do any damage to you whatsoever (which, if done correctly, makes Spirit Swallower not worth 100 points). That's why you give him Siren Song. Throw his 20" move right in front of a fun unit to smash, then force them to charge you (units Immune to Psychology are the best targets).

Once in combat, do your normal 6x S6 AP attacks while re-rolling misses to hit AND wound (ASF + Soul Hunger), then do your Stomp attacks as well, continuing to reroll those 1's. If they can attack back, they have to pass a Ld test on their own unmodified leadership before they can even attack you (and if you moved your Slaanesh BSB up, they'll take it at -2).

Been using this strategy since DOC came out and it used to have a few flaws, but now those are slim to none.