PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel Seth: Anyone Use Him? How Does He Do?

Godzooky
20-07-2010, 14:01
Hi all,

Since childhood I have always been a huge fan of the Blood Angels.

I picked up the new codex with the thought of eventually doing a full BA army.

I have to say, I really liked the look of the Seth model and have recently treated myself. I'm tempted to build a minor FT force around him because I like the cut of their psycho jib, and their primary armour colour is awesome, in my opinion.

Anybody on here use him? What are your thoughts on him, on-table?

Many thanks. :)

Simo429
20-07-2010, 14:04
Got him as a wolf guard

Beautiful model

deadly_juice
20-07-2010, 14:11
I havent used him myself, but i think he could be successfully used as a (comparatively) inexpensive character in rhino/razor/pred spam list that has a large mounted assault squad or two. heck, you might even be able to stuff a librarian into another squad...

Fanboy
20-07-2010, 19:06
Yep, used him successfully.

Got the model, took off the head, replaced with Deathwatch =I= head. Looks sooo much better.

Anyway, used him against multiwound, T4 bugs, did very well with his whildwind. A useful 'cheap' BA choice. But Meph is still my favourite choice, people really #$@& thier pants when he is only the table......

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

Zweischneid
20-07-2010, 19:30
I like him.

He's cheap and one of the few people who, in cc, can snipe at things like embedded Powerfists or the Meltagun-guy, etc.. if you move him into base contact. Combining him with a Chaplain helps in these cases so you get the re-roll.

Also good at clobbering Dreadnaughts, etc.. ,.

Khorneguy
20-07-2010, 19:40
I havn't used him yet, but i'm going to when my 'counts as BA' Soul Drinker force gets going again. He's going to make a great Tellos stand in.

Chainsword nutters ftw!

Kiro
20-07-2010, 19:46
Just realised the potential in the model. Is there anywhere I could look at the bits he's made of?

bork da basher
20-07-2010, 21:05
hes pretty effective but not something id use personnally, if im going to shell out for a sc its gonna be mephiston who will earn back his points 3 times over but for a flesh tearer army he's obviously gotta be there and kudos for doing it i can't say i didn't consider it myself...hell i was tempted to attempt the whole chapter as there isn't all that much of it left but my BA playing childhood haunts me still and i went for them instead.

the only thing i dislike about him is the model really....i felt it lacked something for a chapter master model it was kind of bland.

AbusePuppy
20-07-2010, 22:11
Not surprisingly, he really shines against any kind of horde army or whenever he's drastically outnumbered. It's pretty easy to get 8-12 successful hits with him in a given combat turn, which generally results in a lot of dead models.

He's not ideal against armored opponents like Marines, but S8 on his normal attacks does mean that he pulps people when the hits do go through. Rending helps there, though most "good" CC units will have an invulnerable save. Oddly enough, he is especially good against vehicles and Dreadnoughts thanks to his high Str and striking at initiative.

His statline is otherwise pretty reasonable, coming with four wounds and the usual Space Marine character numbers. 3+/4++ makes him somewhat survivable, but not terribly tough- expect him to die pretty regularly in games, especially to things like Power Fists.

All in all you get a pretty good package for 160 pts; he is a solid buy, if not a terribly overwhelming one. I personally love him, but he's lacking in a lot of the ways that typically define a combat IC, so he's definitely not an auto-include.

dreamwarder
20-07-2010, 22:19
I've found him to be great for tearing through transports, as well as taking on hordes of infantry. I usually field him in a Rhino with an assault squad and a sanguinary priest. Great against IG I would say.

LonelyPath
21-07-2010, 00:12
I've seen Gabriel Seth tear his way through Loganwing and Nob Biker armies like there's no tomorrow. He's also nifty against hordes making him a good all rounder for assaults against any foe. It's true he doesn't ignore armour saves unless he rends. but when surrounded and pouring out 8 or 9 attacks, you're bound to get at least a couple that will bypass armour saves. He's also good against almost every vehicle in the game (bar Monoliths and LR).

Craftworld
21-07-2010, 00:18
He's been off the radar on Warseer; which surprised me considering he's so popular in my gaming club.

My best friend fields him and he is a fierce model. He is also a great deal points wise for what he can do. I'd definitely suggest him.

ehlijen
21-07-2010, 02:47
When did he learn to snipe again?

He hits models in btb, sure, but wounds are still allocated as per the normal rules. He can't snipe anymore than a blast weapon can.

Fanboy
21-07-2010, 06:38
When did he learn to snipe again?

He hits models in btb, sure, but wounds are still allocated as per the normal rules. He can't snipe anymore than a blast weapon can.

Correct, he hits equal to the number of models in base contact. It does not state that he wounds models in base contact, therefore, the wounds can be allocated to the squad. REMEMBER he auto-hits with Whirlwind of gore, no 'to-hit' roll required. Add up the number of models in base contact, and go straight to rolling for wounds. Make armour saves, or start removing models, unless its a rending result, then just remove models. For 160 points, he is useful.

Yours thankfully

Fanboy

Eulenspiegel
21-07-2010, 08:13
Correct, he hits equal to the number of models in base contact. It does not state that he wounds models in base contact, therefore, the wounds can be allocated to the squad.

Alas, your premise is not quite correct.

It says that he hits models in b2b, which IMO can easily be read to support both sides of the argument. My interpretation is that he really only hits those models, but then you do wound allocation as normal - but only between the models in b2b. Wounds wouldnīt spill over to supporting models.
Itīs a little complicated but I think itīs mostly true to what RAW says.

Godzooky
21-07-2010, 08:35
Mostly positive reviews. Thanks, all. :)

Just a quick M,P & T question, if I may. What base colour is his armour? What have you used for your guys?

Many thanks and much love...

ehlijen
21-07-2010, 14:02
Alas, your premise is not quite correct.

It says that he hits models in b2b, which IMO can easily be read to support both sides of the argument. My interpretation is that he really only hits those models, but then you do wound allocation as normal - but only between the models in b2b. Wounds wouldnīt spill over to supporting models.
Itīs a little complicated but I think itīs mostly true to what RAW says.

So you are saying I can snipe with blast and template weapons now? Because they use the exact same wording.

Of course I can't and neither can Gabriel. He autohits. Just like a template autohits. The wounds can still be spread amongst the units those models belong to.

Eulenspiegel
21-07-2010, 16:47
So you are saying I can snipe with blast and template weapons now? Because they use the exact same wording.

"Blast" goes on to say that hits are "hits inflicted on the unit", and that those hits may be allocated within the entire unit.
Sethīs Whirlwind of Gore inflicts hits on "models in base to base contact", nothing else.

Exact same wording? :wtf:

Zweischneid
21-07-2010, 16:56
Yup.

That's been my reading of it. Unit is largely irrelevant as Seth inflicts hits on models in base contact, including things like a vehicle and an infantry model at the same time for example if you do it right.

By the same logic, he punches precisely the powerfist-model if thats the model he is in contact with. Wound allocation is taken over by the Whirlwind of Gore rule in the Codex following the good old Codex trumps Rulebook principle.

I might be wrong.. but that is how I've been playing him so far.

Eulenspiegel
21-07-2010, 17:07
I might be wrong..

Me too, I concede this, but the wording of that rule is far from clear.

AstartesWarMachine
21-07-2010, 19:14
I wouldn't play it like that, honestly, though I have no grounds other than his cost. If he could pick off specific models it would be very powerful, but he doesn't seem to be costed like that.

More obviously, it completely turns wound allocation rules on their head and has no precedents, really

He still seems damn good no matter which way you play him.

AbusePuppy
21-07-2010, 23:58
Uh.... Whirlwind of Gore inflicts hits on specific models. So do blast/template weapons. (You count the number of models under the marker to determine how many are hit.) You then roll to wound against majority toughness. Then the opponent allocates the wounds to the unit as normal and saves are taken (or not, as appropriate for Rending.)

Nowhere in his rules does it say it bypasses the normal process of wound allocation. If he is in base contact with several different units (such as, say, an independent character and the squad they were attached to) then each unit will suffer hits and wounds as appropriate, but there is no way to use him to "snipe" particular models out because Whirlwind never specifies that it ignores the standard rules for allocating close combat wounds. Even regular attacks are directed at specific models in close combat, but that does not change the owning player's ability to allocate the resulting wounds to other members of the squad if they so desire.

Jonny_N
22-07-2010, 09:37
I have Seth in my Flesh Tearers army, and I have used him against special characters, tanks (yes even a monolith), wraith lords and t4 troops. Yes he is cheap, but is that a problem? of course not. Its also the psychological value of him after someone reads what he can do and sees him coming, they have a tendancy to run, rather fast away. He usually ends up with my vanguard squad, where he people to bits. I am tempted to build him an honor guard, but im not sure its his style.

Godzooky
22-07-2010, 09:38
I have Seth in my Flesh Tearers army, and I have used him against special characters, tanks (yes even a monolith), wraith lords and t4 troops. Yes he is cheap, but is that a problem? of course not. Its also the psychological value of him after someone reads what he can do and sees him coming, they have a tendancy to run, rather fast away. He usually ends up with my vanguard squad, where he people to bits. I am tempted to build him an honor guard, but im not sure its his style.

You could model 5 dudes trying desperately to restrain him. :)

Jonny_N
22-07-2010, 09:43
haha that would be awesome! Idea for a conversion!

Also, I think people are not quite understanding how this guy works. I dont use him as a special character killer, I use him to obliterate squads holding objectives and as a deterrant. sometimes its not about making your points cost back, but about disruption and entertaining horrendous violence :)

Koris
22-07-2010, 12:18
hes pretty effective but not something id use personnally, if im going to shell out for a sc its gonna be mephiston who will earn back his points 3 times over but for a flesh tearer army he's obviously gotta be there and kudos for doing it i can't say i didn't consider it myself...hell i was tempted to attempt the whole chapter as there isn't all that much of it left but my BA playing childhood haunts me still and i went for them instead.

the only thing i dislike about him is the model really....i felt it lacked something for a chapter master model it was kind of bland.

I think you're doing pretty well if Mephiston kills 700+ points of your opposition himself every game.
Its far from a given, and far from definite that he will do so.
Unless you have a secret to using him, which I would love to hear?