PDA

View Full Version : Unstoppable Assault, not so Unstoppable

Collinsas
20-07-2010, 18:44
This rule looks good on paper, and I wanted to get peoples current opinions of the Bone Giant after the errata. Again on paper it looks like you could get stuck in with thing (when charging); and it would cause a few wounds which would then allow another attack, that might itself allow another, and another and so forth with a good string of rolls brake a unit (this occurrence might be rare, he is only WS 3, but not out of the realm of possibility).

The unit is about 220pts, and to use as a point of comparison in 40k the Blood Angels have a dread upgrade with a similar rule that is a no brainer: you have to take it otherwise your doing something wrong in a competitive setting and it cost more pts then the bone giant and yet the bone giant too expensive for his point cost.

Post Note: please donít harp on me about a 40k comparison, both games use the same engine at their vary core itís just that fantasyís has a more complex set of upgrade built upon it. You wound a unit the same way in both games for example.

White_13oy
20-07-2010, 20:23
I can count on my finger the number of times my Bone Giant has actually made use of this rule and I take him a lot. He always died before getting to try it a second time. Enemy attacks the weaker unit he is supporting, he crumbles. Dead(er) Bone Giant.

Vrigor
20-07-2010, 20:44
I think the most kills i've seen a bone giant get was 32 on a large night goblin unit. He even survived a fanatic to the face before he started his killing.

Tower_Of_The_Stars
20-07-2010, 20:59
both games use the same engine at their vary core itís just that fantasyís has a more complex set of upgrade built upon it. You wound a unit the same way in both games for example.

I'm sorry, but to say you can compare them because of this is ridiculous!

eyescrossed
20-07-2010, 22:12
I'm sorry, but to say you can compare them because of this is ridiculous!

Seconded.

Filler.

soots
21-07-2010, 00:33
I think the most kills i've seen a bone giant get was 32 on a large night goblin unit. He even survived a fanatic to the face before he started his killing.

You know a unit is underpowered when you hear a story when the stars align, and it does some freakish, godly, unbelievable killing spree... Then tally the points of damage done and its about half the cost of the model itself.

Enigmatik1
21-07-2010, 02:51
I can count on my finger the number of times my Bone Giant has actually made use of this rule and I take him a lot. He always died before getting to try it a second time. Enemy attacks the weaker unit he is supporting, he crumbles. Dead(er) Bone Giant.

And with Tomb Kings, you can pretty much bank on their being a weaker unit to exploit to off any potentially dangerous units via combat resolution.

YAY crumbling! Not quite as good as beer, but almost as prolific.

Vrigor
21-07-2010, 18:40
You know a unit is underpowered when you hear a story when the stars align, and it does some freakish, godly, unbelievable killing spree... Then tally the points of damage done and its about half the cost of the model itself.

I take it you have never played a goblin army before? that unit is just barely more expensive than a bone giant.