PDA

View Full Version : How many people at least own a Space Marine army?

BBWags
21-07-2010, 03:16
With all the angst against SM that is popping up in the general forum, I was just wondering if we could get an idea of how many people play and/or at least own a SM army.

Just a matter of curiosity, probably nothing earth-shattering, but let's see how the numbers turn out...

*edit* Generally space marine angst is directed toward actual loyalist space marines . . . I'm not GW, had I intended to include Chaos Space Marines, I would have said something to the effect of "Chaos Space Marines." As far as Grey Knights... are they loyalist Space Marines or are they not? ;-) So to clarify, the "Space Marines" i'm referring to in the poll are loyalist space marines.

IcedAnimals
21-07-2010, 03:50
I have a marine army simply because they are so easy to collect. Basically the battle for macragge+black reach has given me a decent enough army. Wasn't even trying to collect them, I was just buying the good deal rulebooks. I am sure when 6th editions box comes out my army will grow some more.

However my actual armies I play are sisters of battle, necrons, and daemons. Just have some black templars on the side.

Craftworld
21-07-2010, 03:53
I've been an Eldar player primarily for several years; but I take pride in fielding Dark Angels once in a while to mix it up.

I've never understood Marine angst; I find it petty and redundant. It's in vogue though, so I suppose we'll have to deal with it..

ForgottenLore
21-07-2010, 03:59
Marines are pretty far down on my list of armies to collect, but not at the bottom. Depending on how I feel at any given time there are 6-7 armies I want to collect first before I bother with Marines.

barrangas
21-07-2010, 04:03
Depends on if you consider Chaos a SM army. I think they are but you might not. I suppose the same could be said for DHs too, even though GK are just a faction within the codex.

insectum7
21-07-2010, 04:05
I'm pairing it all back down to a Space Marine army again. I've just about sold off everything else.

Lexal Graves
21-07-2010, 04:10
I mainly play Necrons, but I'm looking to start up a 500 point Black Templar/Salamander army (Haven't desided yet), already got a chaplain, now to work on the troops

ehlijen
21-07-2010, 04:25
I started with marines (so shoot me) but I find IG slightly more enjoyable to play.

Amos_Reinhart
21-07-2010, 04:36
Started with Marines (like many many others I would wager). Have gone on to collect Tau, Imperial Guard, and a small selection of Grey Knights and Sisters. Also in the process of helping my girlfriend out starting a small Eldar force. Always have and always will have a fondness for the Adeptus Astartes though. Trying to build up a battle company of my home brew Chapter.

Grand Master Raziel
21-07-2010, 04:37
It's Warseer. The cool kidz like to cop the anti-SM 'tude. That's all there is to it.

Bloodknight
21-07-2010, 05:12
The only Space Marines I own are the 3 Squads from Space Crusade ;). Thus I voted No.

SM don't really appeal to me, but I don't hate them (I hate no 40K army; but even if I had the money to get all armies, I wouldn't collect SM and Tau ).

Garven Dreis
21-07-2010, 05:13
I have SM/CSM At the moment, but I also have IG. Woops I acted a bit too soon there.

EDIT: Only one other person has only SM? Wow guys, wow.

The Orange
21-07-2010, 05:28
I technically have enough of the guys stashed away in my closet to build up an army (how that happened I really don't know), but as of yet their pretty much all unbuilt and just waiting to even get on the back burner. Don't get me wrong I'd love to get them painted up and usable, I just have so much of other things I want to get done first, and i know it'll be a god awful time trying to paint them up as I.Fists (the chapter I want to do).

GrogDaTyrant
21-07-2010, 06:04
None. I admit I started on space marines... a decade ago. However every model was given away. At the most, I have 'bitz'. I suppose someone who wants to skew the results could count having enough parts to build a single marine as 'having a marine army', but I'm a Deathskull player. I view that as having parts to build more Orks.

Wrath
21-07-2010, 06:05
hmm, the options kinda suck in the poll.

Here is mine:
Yes, but none of that loyalist lot. Can't trust'em. =]

Reflex
21-07-2010, 06:25
I currently own: Necrons and IG.

I have also owned: Black Templars (first army), eldar, BA and SW.

so to answer, no i dont own or play SM hehe but i have had them at one point in my gaming life.

Hellebore
21-07-2010, 06:56
I have two space wolf armies and a salamander army. Space wolves since 2nd ed and Salamanders since the 3rd armageddon war codex. My total marine count is probably 300-400 individal marines with attendant vehicles etc.

My dislike isn't for marines, but for the hyperbolic drivel that seems to have come to define them. Just as I don't dislike Vampires or Elves but intensely dislike the fandom and the pedestal they put them on.

I prefer equality, where everything is given it's time in the light and where no one thing is put above everything else at the expense of others.

But then I tend to for the underdog quite a lot. It's completely irrelevant which faction/person/whatever is placed on a pedestal, I dislike the reasons around that.

The more GW pushes that point of view, the less I enjoy it.

Hellebore

ulruk headsplitter
21-07-2010, 07:15
i have about 3,5k of space marines.
mostly because they're not extremely expensive and mostly plastic mini's.
and in the meantime i build up my orks up to a good and healthy army.

Souleater
21-07-2010, 07:18
I currently play Xeno only.

I do have the SM from a couple of AoBR sets and my very old 1st-2nd Ed SM army in the loft but I haven't played SM in about five years.

Vaktathi
21-07-2010, 07:25
Depends on if you consider Chaos a SM army. I think they are but you might not. I suppose the same could be said for DHs too, even though GK are just a faction within the codex.

I second this. If you consider Chaos Space Marines a Marine army, then yes. If you are only referring to Imperial Space Marines, then no.

EDIT:
*edit* Generally space marine angst is directed toward actual loyalist space marines . . . I'm not GW, had I intended to include Chaos Space Marines, I would have said something to the effect of "Chaos Space Marines." As far as Grey Knights... are they loyalist Space Marines or are they not? ;-) So to clarify, the "Space Marines" i'm referring to in the poll are loyalist space marines.In this case, no I don't own any "Space Marines" then. Only heretics, mundane humans, and Xenos.

Gilfred The Iron Knight
21-07-2010, 07:29
I have about 12,000 pts of marines. Got them in the 3rd ed starter. This is countered by my 2,000pts of Guard and 13,000 of xenos.

dblaz3r
21-07-2010, 07:30
I started with marines and now have 6k of DA with no end in sight. I have other armies but none are put together so game wise I am only playing marines.

Geep
21-07-2010, 07:54
I've gained a Marine army from various starter boxes- there's no escaping them whether you want to or not. I've never played with them, but have a massive tyranid horde.

deacon52
21-07-2010, 08:38
i have bad luck collecting anything but. i started with eldar, put them on a shelf in a box. someone comes along with somthing heavy and sqaushes the lot.
then started space wolves got a descent amount of those, then went to collect eldar again and some little bugger nicked the lot(along with all my space wolf special characters mind you). lets hope my orks survive, although i have stolen a few nob axes for my wolves so maybe they wont

Wishing
21-07-2010, 09:07
I agree that for this poll to be most useful, we need to distinguish between "primary" marines (the ones you get in the starter boxes, who use land speeders and attack bikes) and "secondary" marines (chaos and grey knights, who wear marine armour but get very little attention compared to standard chapter marines).

I used to have a small blood angels army, but don't anymore. Currently I focus on chaos marines/daemons/renegades, and also have about 4 grey knight models that I'd like to build into a fieldable force some day. When I criticise marines, I'm not saying that everything in power armour sucks and should be removed from the game, just that the focus should be evenly distributed instead of being on all chapter marines 50% of the time.

EmperorNorton
21-07-2010, 09:18
I have Black Templars and Blood Angels, as well as Orks and Witch Hunters.
Haven't played a single game with any of 'em.

Sir_Turalyon
21-07-2010, 09:31
I have a Dark Angels army, they are my active project so they receive most of miniature money / painting time. They are the army I play most often, by the virtue of being only army at hand when I decided to join local gaming community (after years of painting where I live and playing where my painted armies and friends are). I consider them my active army because of painting schedule, but my primary army is Imperial Guard, mostly painted and stored at parent's house in my home city along with Orks and Dark Eldar.

TheMav80
21-07-2010, 09:35
Not me. I have various Space Marine and Chaos Marine stuff I have inerited from people dropping the game, but no real army. Nothing I have bought myself.

I have lots of Tau, a decent sized Ork force, and some Necrons I never finished.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Angelwing
21-07-2010, 09:38
Yup, I have a modest 2k marine army. I don't use it much though, as it's all tyranids lately.

Thud
21-07-2010, 09:40
Space Wolves. That count?

destroyerlord
21-07-2010, 10:14
Only 27% don't have a marine army of some sort. Wow.
I voted the 4th option, as I have a 1500 point chaos marine army (unpainted), but I'm trying to build an Ork army because I like them more. :)

Doomseer
21-07-2010, 10:53
I primarily play Eldar but I also have Blood Angels and Dark Angels. The Angels of Death codex is to blame!

Sureshot05
21-07-2010, 11:59
I have a burgeoning Ultramarines force that I have collected since Rogue trader. They normally come out to game when I am introducing someone or to bulk out someone elses Apoc force. As the iconic marines, they make a great introductory game and as such, I have written a scenario which i use to teach players the rules as I play.

I tend to add a couple of units per edition, but stopped buying the codex as I didn't particularly like the way it was written and found the previous one sufficient. I do, however, have a soft spot for my smurfs and so each edition, they are always the side that I have the first game with. It's a moment where I can relive that initial feeling when I was first introduced to Rogue trader (minus the general confusion!) , before i go back to my preferred armies which are in my signature.

megatrons2nd
21-07-2010, 12:21
I actively play Tau and Eldar. I am working on Dark Eldar. I once owned a Space Viking(Wolf) army, but it has long since been sold.

LonelyPath
21-07-2010, 12:33
I play Dark Angels (full 3rd company, as well as, half the Deathwing and half the Ravenwing) and Grey Knights, but also have many older SM armies form RT and 2nd edition packed away.

EDIT - I forgot that I also have a small current Crimson Fists army, but I only use that to reinforce other armies in Apocalypse.

Lars Porsenna
21-07-2010, 13:27
My first army was Eldar. My second army was Space Marines (Salamanders). My Third Army was Chaos Space marines (World Eaters, supplemented by Iron Warriors when I need more firepower). So lots of marines.

Damon.

Nezalhualixtlan
21-07-2010, 13:33
No marines for me yet, but I do intend to create a Marine army one day.

Bonzai
21-07-2010, 16:38
Yup, I started Salamanders. Only real reason I did so though was because of the bargain the AoBR set is. My main army though is Necrons.

Keichi246
21-07-2010, 19:01
I started 40k back in the day with Dark Angels - and that grew and split into full fledged Deathwing and Ravenwing armies as well over the years.

I have a Grey Knights army as well.

As far as armies I *actively* play though: I lean more towards the IG, and the Tau - with Necron and Tyranid forces for the ocassional laugh.

(yes - I have WAY too many toy soldiers...)

Bestaltan
21-07-2010, 19:28
Own two full companies of the guys, but hardly ever play them. Xenos armies to me are just more fun.

qsd
21-07-2010, 20:02
I have regular marines and some Grey Knights. I'm also working on Thousand Sons using the BA codex.
Some day it would be nice to do Deathwatch too.

My primary army is Guard though

HannibalSW
21-07-2010, 20:31
I chose no marines. I run sisters, IG allies and Daemonhunter allies, some Eldar which never amounted to more than some guardians, a falcon gravtank and rangers.

Wade Wilson
21-07-2010, 20:59
My first army was Dark Angels at the start of 2nd ed 9before the angels of Death codex came out!) because i thought the dark green colour on the marines and the the bone white deathwing looked cool. Haha. My main army is tyrannids though 9and has also been since their 2nd ed codex, lol).

Dronevil
21-07-2010, 21:01
Eldar are my main army but I have a Dark Angels army too, that I'm currently re-vamping. Painting half the Deathwing is a bit daunting though.

Askari
21-07-2010, 22:16
Since you omitted Chaos Space Marines from being "Space Marine" in the context of this thread, then I only just qualify for option 4, seeing as I now have a Blood Ravens army, but they don't count either as they are a) actually Thousand Sons and b) mostly traitors by now anyway :p

Scribe of Khorne
21-07-2010, 22:25
Oh, CSM dont count as SM?? I voted incorrectly, then. I've got CSM (World Eaters) and Khorne Daemons....

Mini77
21-07-2010, 22:51
My first personal army was Blood Angels circa 1993 followed by Ultramarines in 1998. I ended up with RT/40k through Space Hulk, so marines already appealed to me. On my return to the game this year I started up with marines again, this time a DIY chapter. I also started Necron and Tyranid builds, but sold them off to concentrate on the marines. More choice of units, more widely available (is there a unit in the codex that doesn't have a model?).

Bob Arctor
21-07-2010, 22:56
My first army was Salamander marines which I started collecting 17 years ago. Since then I have collected almost all the other 40k armies but marines are still my favourite, although I have been using Eldar and Daemons a lot more recently.

Currently I have 9 different marine armies, ranging from several companies for my Salamanders to barely started projects for some of the others. This will probably increase in the future (I may even collect Dark Angels one day.....)

the1stpip
21-07-2010, 22:57
I have an old Marine army I am intending selling, and my Sallies, but neither get used too often.

I am mainly playing Dark Eldar and Orks.

Aedes
22-07-2010, 01:14
Well, this vote is a bit confusing....
after all, CSM are only Space Marines with spikes.
But after you made it like this--
my favorite army are my crazy mutated Nurgle Marines,
but I just started to create a Blood Angels Successor Chapter.

TimLeeson
22-07-2010, 01:27
I mainly play my Enslavers, Necrons and some other "minor" xeno race stuff - but I occasionally take out my blood-angel successor force for variety-sake :)

Gerod253
22-07-2010, 03:54
I started with Mechanized IG a few years ago. Toyed around with Black Templar but couldn't get comfortable. After the new Guard codex came out I took a break from them, didn't like some of the changes at first, and played Pure Grey Knights. The Knights are still sticking around, along with some sisters tau and necrons, but I find myself returning once again to the Guard. There is just something about seeing a host of normal men fighting tooth, nail, and bayonet against the horrors of the universe that won't let me be.

Xyrex
22-07-2010, 04:11
So 78% of us at least own a SM army, vs the 21ish that don't, you quickly start to see why SM are the GW cash cow.

barrangas
22-07-2010, 04:21
Well, this vote is a bit confusing....
after all, CSM are only Space Marines with spikes.
But after you made it like this--
my favorite army are my crazy mutated Nurgle Marines,
but I just started to create a Blood Angels Successor Chapter.

Yeah, I put a vote in as SM being my primary as the post was edited to exclude CSM as SM. We get the MEQ scorn too but apparently we're Xenos.

chromedog
22-07-2010, 04:28
I play marines of two flavours.

Vanilla and Grey Knights.
The other armies I have are IG and Eldar.

I will never play BA, DA, SW or BT. Even if they do have better toys.
I haven't since they started to have separate codices and will continue this plan.

ForgottenLore
22-07-2010, 04:35
Yeah, I put a vote in as SM being my primary as the post was edited to exclude CSM as SM. We get the MEQ scorn too but apparently we're Xenos.

No, your marines too, just marines that other marine players hate:D

barrangas
22-07-2010, 04:49
No, your marines too, just marines that other marine players hate:D

Yeah, but we hate them more! Just ask Khorne ;)

Oh you meant players, they're just jealous because our models look cooler. After all what other SM army can you really get away with modeling your HQ to look like a pimp. You should see the look on their faces when you pull out Grey Knight Termies converted to chaos, priceless :D.

Actually most people thought they were cool, though I did have one guy actually pitch a fit over my using GK for CSM Termies.

thebaz
22-07-2010, 04:53
CSM are still Marines peoples wheather you would like to admit it or not.

I have 2 'Marine' armies one Loyalist Dark Angel Army and a Chaos army Iron Warriors

But I also play Tyranids and have played other armies in the past

Rogue
22-07-2010, 14:38
Just started the game so yes I have marines consisting of AOBR and of the battleforce.

megatrons2nd
22-07-2010, 15:00
How many of those who have a marine army, and mostly play xenos, only started the marines because they were in the starter/core box?

ForgottenLore
22-07-2010, 16:28
So 78% of us at least own a SM army, vs the 21ish that don't, you quickly start to see why SM are the GW cash cow.

Gee, I get the opposite out of this poll, 60% of people (on this thread at least) don't have marines as a primary army.

More people are exclusively non-marine than are exclusively marine

More people are non-marine players that dabble in marines than are marine players that dabble in non-marine.

If your going to count 3 of the 4 categories to support you claim then yeah, the number is going to be high.

So 91% of us at least own a non-Marine army, vs the 9% that don't.

New_guy
22-07-2010, 16:33
I played space marines and I liked it (and chaos marines). But know I am planning to own my own army of them, at least 1500p. I like the think when you can drop a drop pod on the field with a dread.

BBWags
23-07-2010, 01:50
Gee, I get the opposite out of this poll, 60% of people (on this thread at least) don't have marines as a primary army.

Honestly, not being the primary army doesn't have much bearing in this case. When GW knows that (at this point in the poll) about 80% of their customers at least OWN some Space Marines already, there job of marketing reasons to buy further marines is already half done for them. It is far easier to convince someone to think, "Wow, those new models are pretty impressive, and hey, I already have some, so without spending an awful lot more money, I could have a fully updated marine army!"

So 91% of us at least own a non-Marine army, vs the 9% that don't.

Perhaps, but you can't say that 80% of players own eldar. You can't say that 80% of players own orks. Etc etc. You CAN, however, say that 80% of players own space marines. Therefore when you take a look at ease and effectiveness of marketing, Space Marines are where its at.

Yes, far more people own exclusively non-marines than the number of people who own exclusively marines, but when you take a look at the number of people who own marines as opposed to any other one "race," then the reason why GW focuses so much on Marines falls into place.

And that is basically the reason I posted the poll. I anticipated such results, although I must admit, I wasn't expecting to have 80% of the player base owning Space Marines. I was expecting more like 60%.

barrangas
23-07-2010, 04:09
Honestly, not being the primary army doesn't have much bearing in this case. When GW knows that (at this point in the poll) about 80% of their customers at least OWN some Space Marines already, there job of marketing reasons to buy further marines is already half done for them. It is far easier to convince someone to think, "Wow, those new models are pretty impressive, and hey, I already have some, so without spending an awful lot more money, I could have a fully updated marine army!"

Perhaps, but you can't say that 80% of players own eldar. You can't say that 80% of players own orks. Etc etc. You CAN, however, say that 80% of players own space marines. Therefore when you take a look at ease and effectiveness of marketing, Space Marines are where its at.

Yes, far more people own exclusively non-marines than the number of people who own exclusively marines, but when you take a look at the number of people who own marines as opposed to any other one "race," then the reason why GW focuses so much on Marines falls into place.

And that is basically the reason I posted the poll. I anticipated such results, although I must admit, I wasn't expecting to have 80% of the player base owning Space Marines. I was expecting more like 60%.

The problem with trying to use these polls for something other then satisfying your own curiousity is that the data can be used to prove other arguements points too. You might use it to say that 80% of players polled on Warseer have marines in one form or another so this is why GW should push more SM. Some one else can easily take these numbers and say that they've obviously got enough exposure, they can spend time developing other areas to generate a wider range of profits. Also there are some inconsistancies in your poll that skew the results like if owning SM models from a starter kit counts as an army or whether CSM are actually SM or Xenos.

To run a proper survey you'd have to set up multiple questions, to ensure that those people who actually answer it contribute data from all areas you are getting information on. The forums don't allow for you to post multiple polls in one post AFAIK, so this isn't really possible. You'd also have to post it in multiple forums at least.

But if your doing this just to satisfy your curiousity, then cool, glad you're happy with the results :)!

Emperor's Scourge
23-07-2010, 06:03
I've only played space wolves for a while now, but I intend on throwing down on Dark Eldar when the new Codex releases.

Radium
23-07-2010, 06:04
My main army is Eldar, but with the new BA codex I built an army of Red Marines as well.

ashc
23-07-2010, 08:11
My option isn't there: I have had space marine armies in the past.

I have never played anything but space marines in some form (chaos or otherwise) except for using other people's armies... and I do kind of hate myself for it.

But space marines are cool. :cool:

Lordsaradain
23-07-2010, 08:12
Does CSM count?

Metaphorazine
23-07-2010, 08:43
Not sure I like these poll options. I'd vote "No marine army, but several marine models that may become an army one day, cause while they're kinda cool they're secondary to my actual army..." or "Beer."

Askari
23-07-2010, 10:49
CSM are still Marines peoples wheather you would like to admit it or not.

Technically you could make a CSM army with no Marines in, it'd suck but you could do;

Daemon Prince, Summoned Greater Daemon, up to 6 Lesser Daemons, Defilers, Chaos Spawn.

Still count as a Marine army? ;)

BBWags
23-07-2010, 11:53
The problem with trying to use these polls for something other then satisfying your own curiousity is that the data can be used to prove other arguements points too. You might use it to say that 80% of players polled on Warseer have marines in one form or another so this is why GW should push more SM. Some one else can easily take these numbers and say that they've obviously got enough exposure, they can spend time developing other areas to generate a wider range of profits. Also there are some inconsistancies in your poll that skew the results like if owning SM models from a starter kit counts as an army or whether CSM are actually SM or Xenos.

Why would it matter if SM models came from a starter kit or not? Isn't that half the point of a starter kit? For those people who pair up with another player, buy two starter sets and each double up on their army of choice, that's great. For everyone else, you have an army that you didn't really "want", but now GW can capitalize on that fact with further releases that might entice you to further expand that "army" that you wound up with. It's great marketing strategy.

I clarified that for the purposes of the poll, CSM are not SM. Sometimes I think 40k players, or maybe just Warseer people, tend to make things harder than they need to be. BTW, I'm not a fluff officianado, but I don't think CSM are either SM OR Xenos. Xenos simply means alien, right? So CSM are more like simply "chaos." Besides, there are more armies in 40k that don't fit into either the SM or Xenos categories.

To run a proper survey you'd have to set up multiple questions, to ensure that those people who actually answer it contribute data from all areas you are getting information on.

I'm content that Warseer General Forums would provide a fairly good and generic cross-section of the gaming community. If it is skewed one way or the other, I would think it'd be skewed AGAINST Space Marines as many casual gamers don't read Warseer and I think we could all agree that Space Marines are the easiest and most likely army a "casual gamer" would end up playing.

But if your doing this just to satisfy your curiousity, then cool, glad you're happy with the results :)!

Yeah, it still was mostly for my curiosity, but I think the results bear noting.

Petay1985
23-07-2010, 12:34
Marines for me are a real winner, i love their background and concept, on a modelling point of view i think their range is beyond that of any other race, lots of plastic kits and varius accessories/options.
Regardless of marine-hate out there i will always collect marines, for me they are an integral part of 40k and will always be my focal point.

barrangas
23-07-2010, 14:17
Technically you could make a CSM army with no Marines in, it'd suck but you could do;

Daemon Prince, Summoned Greater Daemon, up to 6 Lesser Daemons, Defilers, Chaos Spawn.

Still count as a Marine army? ;)

No, on pg 89 it details that Daemons don't use up FO slots, so you would still need at least 2 units of Marines.

Why would it matter if SM models came from a starter kit or not? Isn't that half the point of a starter kit? For those people who pair up with another player, buy two starter sets and each double up on their army of choice, that's great. For everyone else, you have an army that you didn't really "want", but now GW can capitalize on that fact with further releases that might entice you to further expand that "army" that you wound up with. It's great marketing strategy.

I clarified that for the purposes of the poll, CSM are not SM. Sometimes I think 40k players, or maybe just Warseer people, tend to make things harder than they need to be. BTW, I'm not a fluff officianado, but I don't think CSM are either SM OR Xenos. Xenos simply means alien, right? So CSM are more like simply "chaos." Besides, there are more armies in 40k that don't fit into either the SM or Xenos categories.

I'm content that Warseer General Forums would provide a fairly good and generic cross-section of the gaming community. If it is skewed one way or the other, I would think it'd be skewed AGAINST Space Marines as many casual gamers don't read Warseer and I think we could all agree that Space Marines are the easiest and most likely army a "casual gamer" would end up playing.

Most people I saw buying the most recent starter set did so so they could get the rules and various supplies. The models were just extra. I had a couple of friends who bought several boxes and sold the models on Ebay, with the Orks doing the best due to the copters. They ended up making a decent profit.

Honestly, not considering Chaos Space Marines as Space Marines kind of smacks of biasing your poll towards the results you want. They have the same gear, a Gene Seed of a primarch, many of the same vehicles, etc. Sure they have different units then C:SM, but then all the variant chapters wouldn't be either. They've got the same stat line except for Ld, and a few special rules. If that doesn't make them SM then SW should be right out too. It seems like you don't want them in "...'cause those darn chaos players will try to get more stuff too."

As far as the SM vs Xenos, I'm referring to the sides normally formed in arguements on Warseer. Generally those who want more SM developement and those who want more non-marine developement. Moderate voices tend to get drown out. I consider my self a Marine player, I'd don't play loyalist ones only because I don't like fighting the same army as I play all the time, I don't have a problem with more marine codexes, and I do want more developement of non-Imperial forces. I don't want all SM all the time, it gets old fast.

One forum is not a good cross section, btw.

Bellygrub
23-07-2010, 14:22
While my main army is Orks, I also own a Deathguard Army for CSM, Blood Ravens and Black Templars. I don't play the two loyalists armies much, if at all, and I mainly just picked them up because I liked the fluff and/or models.

BBWags
23-07-2010, 14:28
Most people I saw buying the most recent starter set did so so they could get the rules and various supplies. The models were just extra. I had a couple of friends who bought several boxes and sold the models on Ebay, with the Orks doing the best due to the copters. They ended up making a decent profit.

So they make a decent prophet from other people buying the SMs? So the SMs aren't just getting thrown away or sitting uselessly on shelves, huh? Hmm... interesting.

Honestly, not considering Chaos Space Marines as Space Marines kind of smacks of biasing your poll towards the results you want.

How so? It seems pretty clear that my desire was to see how many loyalist marine armies are out there, or rather how many people at least own a loyalist marine army, with the assumption that number is quite high. Obviously if I included CSM, that number would be even higher. So if all I was looking for was a high number (as I expected there would be), wouldn't it have furthered my goals more by INCLUDING rather than EXCLUDING them?

If that doesn't make them SM then SW should be right out too. It seems like you don't want them in "...'cause those darn chaos players will try to get more stuff too."

I'm sorry, I'm not following your logic. As far as what makes a Space Marine a space marine, I'm thinking its not just the geneseed stuff, but also the loyalty. Thus Chaos Space Marines being CHAOS Space Marines.

As far as the SM vs Xenos, I'm referring to the sides normally formed in arguements on Warseer.

I think I was pretty clear in my description of the poll being Space Marine vs. Non-Space Marine. Why clutter up the issue by forcing other conversations into this one?

One forum is not a good cross section, btw.

Why not? We have all sorts of players voicing their opinions here who play all sorts of different armies located all around the world. How is that not a good cross section? Yes, if I wanted to do a master's thesis on the subject, I'd post just such a poll in extremely technical detail on every forum and in every FLGS I could possibly do so, but come on, let's be a little practical here.

snatcheroo
23-07-2010, 15:40
I like playing marines more than some armies...as much as I love my IG, I just don't seem to have as much fun using them for some reason. It's not a win or lose thing easier. I tend to lose or draw most of the time anyway and have the most fun when everyone else has fun. That said, I usually end up playing a different army every two games or so anyway just to change things up. It's a toss up between Iron Hands, Black Templar, Orks, Eldar, Necrons, and IG... unless I use one of my friend's armies.

ForgottenLore
23-07-2010, 16:38
How so? It seems pretty clear that my desire was to see how many loyalist marine armies are out there, or rather how many people at least own a loyalist marine army,

I'm sorry, I'm not following your logic. As far as what makes a Space Marine a space marine, I'm thinking its not just the geneseed stuff, but also the loyalty. Thus Chaos Space Marines being CHAOS Space Marines.

I think I was pretty clear in my description of the poll being Space Marine vs. Non-Space Marine. Why clutter up the issue by forcing other conversations into this one?

You were not pretty clear that you wanted to exclude Chaos marines until a day after you posted the poll, after there had already been more than 30 replies and I think over a hundred votes. In the original text you said you were putting up the poll in order to put all the marine hate on the site into perspective and for the most part that marine hate is directed towards the mechanics of marines: power armor stat lines, bolters, terminators, land raiders, rhinos and so on, all of which includes chaos marines.

While it may have been your original intention to exclude chaos SPACE MARINES from a poll about space marine armies, by the time you edited your post to make that clear everyone had already taken it to be otherwise and warped the results.

Souleater
23-07-2010, 16:56
Sorry, BBWags but Chaos Space Marines are Space Marines.

BBWags
23-07-2010, 22:42
[...] chaos SPACE MARINES [...]

CHAOS Space Marines. See, I can do it, too.

Sorry, BBWags but Chaos Space Marines are Space Marines.

I appreciate the apology. Yes, I know Chaos Space Marines are a sort of Space Marine, but when a person says "Space Marine," I think the ordinary person generally will think of a loyalist space marine first. I do not believe it is correct to lump Chaos Space Marines in with Space Wolves, Black Templar, Blood Angels, etc as simply another type of Space Marine. There is a huge distinction between loyalist and Chaos Space Marines. Also, in terms of production, Chaos marines are very distinct. For many loyalist marines, you can use the same vehicle and troop sprues with added bobs and bits no matter what chapter you are using. Not so with Chaos, who have completely different vehicle kits and troopers.

But ya know what, I'll give it to you all. Say the poll was skewed. Let's say it was skewed by a whopping 25% and so the real results are that ONLY 50% of players all have a space marine army. The results are the same in terms of the business sense of marketing Space Marines as opposed to any other one type of army.

TheSanityAssassin
23-07-2010, 22:50
I own some broken space marines in my bit boxes that have piled up over the years. I might even be able to turn them into an army if I was to rob all my Chaos bits. But I have no interest to, and really have no idea how many of them are actually there.

Souleater
23-07-2010, 23:04
Yes, I know Chaos Space Marines are a sort of Space Marine..

Indeed. While you firstly think of loyalist marines - indeed I do too - that doesnt' stop Chaos SM being a subtype SM in general just like the chapters you mention.

BBWags
24-07-2010, 00:50
But that's just it, I don't think you CAN classify CSM as "just like" the other chapters. If all people want to look at is the statline and the armor save, I guess I can't convince them of anything else, but I've always picked up on the "anti-SM" as being far more than just the stat-line. The angst against SMs has always seemed to centralize on GW's "over-indulgence" in promoting them, but from my experience, that hasn't really included CSM. People keep on saying that the different chapters are just blue marines, red marines, marines in dresses, etc... I've never heard anyone say that deathguard are just marines with boils or noise marines are just marines with bad color-coordination. Most people cry for more books showing the diversity in Chaos legions while at the same time often decrying the existence of the various loyalist marine books.

That tells me that in most players' minds, CSM aren't really in the same boat at LSM (loyalist space marines).

So while I would be willing again to say that CSM are a sort of Space Marine, I would not be will to say they are a sort of Space Marine just like Blood Angels are. I would more say they are both Space Marines just like Orks and Tyranids are both xenos.

Forgotmytea
24-07-2010, 08:06
*edit* Generally space marine angst is directed toward actual loyalist space marines . . . I'm not GW, had I intended to include Chaos Space Marines, I would have said something to the effect of "Chaos Space Marines." As far as Grey Knights... are they loyalist Space Marines or are they not? ;-) So to clarify, the "Space Marines" i'm referring to in the poll are loyalist space marines.
Whoops, didn't see that part until after voting... In which case no, I don't own a Space Marine army. Go me :p

Souleater
24-07-2010, 14:36
But that's just it, I don't think you CAN classify CSM as "just like" the other chapters. ..

But I'm not classifying them as that.

Me saying that Grey Knights, Space Wolves and Death Guard are all Space Marines means I think they can all be grouped together not that they are all identical.

To put it another way I have several friends who are English just like me. We share some similarites but many differences, too.

CSM don't get much flak because they've generally all arrived in one book. They don't get such regular releases so they show up on the radar less.

However, I do believe there were some comments around the announcement of the last CSM Codex because they were 'simply spikey marines'. Note - not my term or sentiment.

...and at the moment some people think bashing CSM would be like kicking an injured puppy. GW took a lot of flavour and options out of C CSM then went out of their way to take BA and SW further from the standard SM codex.

FWIW I'm not an angsty Xeno player but I would like to see GW alter its release schedule so that some players aren't waiting so long for just one or two figures. I think that's what really doesn't help the SM argument. I understand that SM pay the rent but would it really harm GW to intersperse a few more Xeno releases into things? The current wave model certainly seems a step in the right direction.

If we're going to try and split hairs I've seen many more space wolf players claim they don't play space marines than CSM players.

I wasn't trying to attack your poll but you didn't clarify your opinion on what counted as a SM. You also failed to take into account people like myself who own very old SM armies that they haven't used for years.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
24-07-2010, 15:08
I voted for the last option, as I play Daemonhunters and I've started a CSM army (by which I mean I have the codex and a terminator lord model and I proxy a force once in a while. :p).

I'll never play an army where the entire force is marines, seems too bland for me. But if I can mix in Daemons or Stormtroopers/Guard as necessary to give it a bit of variety then I don't see what the problem is.

JonnyX
24-07-2010, 15:21
Well i play an all scout stealthy raven guard army so the playstyles you can use them for are huge. The fact the army is extremely versatile attracted me :P

Melion
25-07-2010, 17:15
Ultramarines were my first army, bought the Blackreach box with a friend and I got the marines. After playing some games with them, I changed to Necrons and now my marines are my sub-army. I like my Necrons more. :D

BrotherOfBrass
25-07-2010, 17:30
I am an Eldar player first and foremost, but sometimes I want to play a different style, and then it's either an Ork horde or Space Marine (the Knights of Ossifia) drop pod assault; I use the Marines for a change of play style as much as anything.

moreblood
25-07-2010, 18:09
i play a 6k SW army

chamelion 6
25-07-2010, 23:37
Space Marines to me were a small elite force that I could paint and field quickly. Then I turned to my IG force....

My Marines are now undergoing their 5th evolution of the 5th edition. I finally got the final units together so I can field them as I envisioned in the first place.

Drakon
16-08-2010, 00:54
2 marines
2 chaos marines
1 IG
1 daemons

BBWags
16-08-2010, 01:07
Thanks for resurrecting my poll with such an informative post!

SanguinaryDan
16-08-2010, 03:24
I've owned and played Blood Angels since the first summer Rogue Trader came to the USA, but I've also bought (with every intention of playing) Eldar, IG, CSM, Tau, Necrons and Orks.

I'll also admit that regardless of my intentions I've played exactly 3 games with my Eldar back in the late 90s, 1 with my Orks, 2 with my Necrons (when they were a WD list army) and no more than 4 or 5 with my Guard. I've still got all of them, except the Crons, and hope someday to actually finish painting enough of any one of them to feel comfortable playing that army.

I'll also admit that after reading that last paragraph I'm wondering if I should seek professional help for such deeply held delusions.:D

BBWags
16-08-2010, 03:59
Don't worry, Dan, I think we've all been there on the delusional end of things. Actually, due to some unexpected medical bills, I was recently forced to sell my eldar, tyranid, and wood elf armies . . . oh the dreams that will definitely now be swept under the rug permanently. . . but that's probably for the best. I still have my Wolves and Guard . . .

wilsonian
16-08-2010, 07:47
Like most people I started with Marines many years ago but when I got back into 40k I decided to go chaos then guard. Only recently with the release of the BA codex have I gone back to Imperial Marines. :)

ashc
16-08-2010, 08:12
I think I am going to be starting my 5th or 6th, I think I am addicted to them.

much like bow ties, space marines are cool. :cool:

Drakon
16-08-2010, 08:24
Thanks for resurrecting my poll with such an informative post!

if your talking to me I didnt, have a look at the times above me since I get most of my reads through "New Posts":eyebrows:

And you question was answered with my "informative post" :rolleyes:

Jaraknarn
16-08-2010, 13:42
iv just started collecting crimson fists, iv watched the series for many years but iv always been to skint to start collecting, but iv always been fascinated by space marines, and i choose them not because GW pushes them the most or because their easy to play but purely because iv always wanted to collect space marines, i did the research before i started and was only partially swayedd by necron and tyranids, and in the end it just came down to play styles to be the deciding factor, wat can i say? I like to shoot from really far away! So when my best man revealled that he had secretly been beeen collecting space orks and that he was looking for someone to play with we went straight to GW and picked up AOBR, , anyone else collect crimson fists?

P.s. They should even up the release schedule tho, , there should be more xenos and csms in shops

mrln68
16-08-2010, 17:00
Pretty sure the annoyance with Space Marines has a lot to do with the release schedules. Not counting all the variant chapters - there are around 12 or so different armies you can field. Since the release of 5th Ed (if memory serves me right) - there have been a new Space Marines (Smurf) Codex, a new Space Marines (Viking) Codex, a new Space Marines (Emo Marines), a guard, nid and ork Codex as well. So out of those 6 or so releases - half of them have been Space Marines. If you go back to just before the release of 5th with the 4.5ish Codices (the ones that are supposed to be fully compliant with 5th Ed.) you have Space Marines (spikey) and daemons. You also have Space Marines (Emo Marines Special WD Ed.). So...now you are up to the last 8 Codex updates and 5 have been Space Marines. Now one of those could be moved into the non-SM category, but the move by GW seems to have been to bring them under SMs more than to separate them.

For players of Necron, Inquisitors (either flavor) or Dark Eldar it would have been nice to maybe get some love in that time. A new model, maybe an updated list in WD. GW seems to have gotten lazy with releases, and about the only thing they do release on a regular basis are Spacey Marines. I think the end of 3rd Ed. was really the high point for varied lists. During that time, GW was releasing something new every month it seemed and they spread the love around. You had new Codices, new models, special campaigns with new army lists and new models, lots of fun. Now, it is something new all the time - if you want to play Space Marines. That is one reason why I think so many people have at least a small SM force. Not to mention that if you buy one of the Starter boxes - you get...more Spacey Marines.

tzeentchservant
16-08-2010, 17:06
I started out playing Vanilla marines...back in the Rogue Trader days... been playing since the EARLY 90's when the codexes stated coming out I started playing Blood Angels... and absolutely fell in love with space wolfs, (bout 5k points each) I have a 3k CSM army a1500 Ork army and a 6k Eldar army. started out with SM and occasionally go back from time to time (usually when new and really spectacular minis come out i.e. new space wolf termies and Special Characters... the whole new Blood Angel Range... (the get into hand to hand down and dirty play is my style of play, great for both Blood Angels & Space Wolfs

Tarian
16-08-2010, 17:52
I play Sisters and Guard, don't have anything against Marines though, Guard just isn't conductive to other armies. :P