PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Assassin with Poison and Two Hand Weapons

Devari
01-03-2006, 04:57
I've decided to start a Dark Elf army and I have the first 1500 points planned. One of the characters I'm going to include is a Dark Elf assassin (simply because a dark elf ninja is too awesome to leave out) and I was planning on giving him an additional hand weapon and Black Lotus poison. Can the poison be used with both of his hand weapons, for a total of four Black Lotus attacks, or can he only use it on a single weapon, giving him three Black Lotus attacks with his main weapon and one normal attack with the additional hand weapon? The wording for poisons on p. 22 of the Dark Elves army book simply states that "Any normal weapon may be coated with one type of poison." This seems to imply that I can use the poison on a single weapon, but there is nothing specifically stopping me from applying the poison to all normal weapons carried by the character. Is there is an FAQ, battle report, etc., that addresses this?

Xavier
01-03-2006, 06:46
By normal it simply means non magical, in fantasy you dont normally get seperate attacks, like you described anyway, you do get headbutts, tail attacks etc. But im off on a tangent.

The situation you describe is ok, the poison will affect all your attacks provided you dont buy him a magical weapon. So he will have his 4 attacks with the poison. I think your just reading too much into it and maybe confusing some of the rules with mordhiem which does have rules for different weapon attacks allocated to attacks etc.

Devari
01-03-2006, 07:32
By normal it simply means non magical, in fantasy you dont normally get seperate attacks, like you described anyway, you do get headbutts, tail attacks etc. But im off on a tangent.

In general you don't get different types of attacks, but there are some situations where a certain weapon may confer a special attack that can be used in combination with a regular attack from an additional hand weapon. The best example I can think of is fighting with a pistol and an additional hand weapon as opposed to using two pistols. If you have two pistols then all close combat attacks count as armour piercing S4 in the first round of combat, but if you only have a single pistol and an additional hand weapon you only get to make one amour piercing S4 attack with the pistol and the remaining attacks are normal attacks with the hand weapon. So if the rules clearly stated that Dark Elf assassins could only poison one of their weapons, then an additional hand weapon should only act as a normal attack. Since the rules don't specifically limit the use of poison to a single weapon, however, the Dark Elf assassin can most likely use the poison with all of their attacks.

The situation you describe is ok, the poison will affect all your attacks provided you dont buy him a magical weapon. So he will have his 4 attacks with the poison. I think your just reading too much into it and maybe confusing some of the rules with mordhiem which does have rules for different weapon attacks allocated to attacks etc.

The simplest option is to have him use the poison on all of his normal weapons, which is what I assumed when I first read the poison descriptions. If the poison can only be used on a single weapon, however, then he should probably be limited to three poision attacks and one normal attack.

As an additional point, there also appears to be nothing in the rules stopping a Dark Elf assassin from purchasing two types of poisons (manbane and black lotus for example) as long as he doesn't use them both on the same weapon. I'm not sure how the rules would work in this case however. The simplest interpretation is that he would have to choose one type of poison to use for all of his attacks before each combat, similar to how troops have to choose a single weapon to use if they are armed with more than one type of close combat weapon. However, using the concept of the assassin having a "main weapon" and an "additional weapon" it is also possible that he could use one type of poison for the three attacks with his main weapon and another type of poision for one attack with his additional hand weapon. Has an FAQ addressed any of these situations?