PDA

View Full Version : Wizard, rufusing a challenge, still able to cast spells?

mortiferum
22-07-2010, 22:13
New player here.

So my Herald of Tzeentch in a Horror unit is charged by Ogres lead by the Ogre Tyrant general. The Tyrant issues a challenge - I politely refuse and slink off to the rear rank and my unit whilst losing combat is able to survive the instability.

During my next turn is my herald still able to cast spells from the rear rank?

Edit; We both checked the magic section of the BRB page 31 (choosing a target) and also page 102 regarding refusing a challenge (Boo! Hiss!)
but there appears to be no restrictions.

Paraelix
22-07-2010, 22:15
Immediately following that round of combat, I believe you return to the front >_> Though I could be wrong...

*runs to get book*

mortiferum
22-07-2010, 22:21
Immediately following that round of combat, I believe you return to the front >_> Though I could be wrong...

I've got the book open at page 102 ...also can't see anything about returning back to the front either?

Heimagoblin
22-07-2010, 22:21
Did you by any chance just come from gw oxford?

mortiferum
22-07-2010, 22:24
I did - who are you?

Heimagoblin
Its Anthony (the lizardmen player)

Paraelix
Lol. Yeah, there is no reference :S

Heimagoblin
22-07-2010, 22:30
I'm afraid I won't be able to make it to are planned game because i'll be in the south of france then (uh isn't life hard!) but will be avaliable for a game on the following dates...

Next saturday, 4-6 outrider time.
Monday or tuesday in the afternoons(this coming week)-although I believe you are away for these.
thursday the 13th
thursday the 20th

mortiferum
22-07-2010, 22:33
I'm afraid I won't be able to make it to are planned game because i'll be in the south of france then (uh isn't life hard!) but will be avaliable for a game on the following dates...

Next saturday, 4-6 outrider time.
Monday or tuesday in the afternoons(this coming week)
thursday the 13th
thursday the 20th

Sent you a PM - so as not to clog up this thread here:)

So back to the query:
Can wizards having rufused a challenge still cast spells?

and then also...

When can the wizard return back to the front rank?

Paraelix
22-07-2010, 22:38
Arguably you still can from the second rank... As per one of the FAQs "as missile units may still draw LoS from the second rank".

bluemage
22-07-2010, 22:39
Ninja'd

What paraelix said.

So long as it doesn't say that you can't cast spells, you're able to. Not sure about the second part.

solkan
23-07-2010, 00:13
It looks like there are three ways to move a character around in the unit:

1. As part of a challenge.
2. Using the "Make way!" rule at the start of a combat.
3. As part of a reform.

Since they've added the mid-battle reforms, it looks like those would be your opportunity to get back into the front line.

Witchblade
23-07-2010, 02:35
Yep, and there are sneaky tactics (like loading up on chars in a unit) to get your wizard out of the front rank of a unit. Glitchy glitchy.

Venerable_Bede
23-07-2010, 02:55
Remember that the only spells that require LOS are magic missiles (unless I suppose the army book says you need LOS for a particular spell) so there are loads of spells where having the wizard in the 2nd, 3rd, etc. rank doesn't matter anyway.