PDA

View Full Version : Amusing/Ironic Events in Games

FailSafe07
22-07-2010, 23:31
I encountered what I thought was a fairly ironic moment in a game yesterday.
My SM captain with a Jetpack after having an entire ASM squad killed around him finally managed to kill an IG heavy weapons squad on his own in one turn. The next turn my opponent proceeded to fire all three lascannons from a Vendetta at him and he promptly shrugged off the lascannon shots. On my next turn he tried to jump out of difficult terrain and then promptly rolls a 1 for his dangerous terrain test.

I found it incredibly ironic that he manged to take three lascannon shots to the face and make it through just fine and then he promptly stubs his toe on a rock and takes a wound.

What other similar stories do people have?

Leez
23-07-2010, 01:09
Where's the rest of the story, the ironic part.

Cheexsta
23-07-2010, 01:35
He's using the Alanis Morissette definition of ironic ;)

My most ironic game in 40k was when Kharn the Betrayer failed to kill any of his own men.

ehlijen
23-07-2010, 01:51
The most irony event in a game played was when an Iron Hands Iron Father assaulted some Iron warrios.

Garven Dreis
23-07-2010, 04:08
I just had a a squad of 5 Tac marines assault a squad of 5 CSM w/ Icon of Chaos Glory. The Tac squad killed 2 Chaos Marines, then proceeded to kill 2 Marines in CC while the Chaos marines only killed one.

The ironic thing is that I didn't exactly expect my Chaos marines to lose that CC. Meh, and who says that Tac marines are bad?

Spyros80
23-07-2010, 08:04
Space Marine captain with two wounds remaining... two bolt pistol shots later... dead Space Marine captain...

Lamoron
23-07-2010, 08:11
One guardsman surviving the charge from 8 "zerkers" and a Khorne Lord, making me unable to shoot at them, and thus loosing me the game. Best dice I ever rolled... he even put a wound on the lord.

Konrad2709
23-07-2010, 09:18
He's using the Alanis Morissette definition of ironic ;)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/irony ;)

Gilfred The Iron Knight
23-07-2010, 09:24
Vs a IG gun line. 10 assault marines DS into the gunline and remove all the infantry with a flamer thrower over various turns. No amount of fire power could remove the last guy.

The Marshel
23-07-2010, 09:43
dunno about ironic but certainly amusing, whilst a tau playing friend and a necron playing friend were having a game, i noticed that through a gap in terrain the tau pathfinders could see the monolith, thus they could have got some marker lights onto it. on the directly opposite side of the monolith was a hammer head that by all means would never have been able to see the pathfinders, let alone the markerlights on the monolith, but he still would have been able to benefit from it as per raw.

ashc
23-07-2010, 10:25
The most irony event in a game played was when an Iron Hands Iron Father assaulted some Iron warrios.

The Space Wolf Iron Priest looked on in bewilderment.

carldooley
23-07-2010, 21:38
I deployed a scout squad from a LSS and assaulted a 10 man CSM squad. Won combat and they fled - caught them and destroyed them. Fun and a surprise for both me and my opponent.

in another game, one of my stationary rhinos was assaulted by a full mounted daemonette pack, 4 attacks each, rending, 20+ models. I offered to just remove the rhino, but my opponent insisted rolling for it.
Not. A. Single. One. Even. Glanced!

in another game back in 4th, my Farseer cast Fortune on my first turn, rolled snake eyes, and died to ID before my first movement phase - and I was going first. I ground my teeth, and my opponent brayed laughter.

Bestaltan
23-07-2010, 22:25
I unloaded everything I had at a beefed-up daemon prince. He shrugged off most of everything, but had one wound left when the smoke cleared.

He died to the last weapon fired at him........the laspistol.

And I can't count the number of times I would lose an entire genestealer squad to the explosion when they would blow up a rhino in 4th edition........

Reflex
23-07-2010, 22:25
last night the game came down to:

not really anything new in terms of irony but: 3 lascannons, 3 missile launchers, 3 multilasers, 16 flamer wounds, 12 heavy flamer wounds, 3 heavy bolters fail to kill any of the 5 terminators facing my gun line.

2 las pistols hit, wound and snake eyes for saves.

the sergeant later copped a thunderhammer to the head while that lieutenant is getting a promotion.

Mannimarco
23-07-2010, 22:27
My Death Guard fighting against my pure nurgle daemon army I had loaned out, for 5 turns we just butchered each other, knowing that because epidemius was on the table we were just making the other player more powerful. Fun when you get FNP on a 3, even more fun when you wound everything on a 2+ and ultimate fun when you now ignore all saves.

(agreed before the game that we wouldnt kill him just for added funsies)

Jusu
23-07-2010, 22:44
my rhinos deciding to repair on the very last turn.....

watching one of the necron gods running away from a DP with 1 wound remaining, then the god dieing from plague marine shots, was quite amusing.

Brettila
24-07-2010, 00:04
Had a Callidus assassin pop out once, and with a tad bit of over-anxious excitement, be way too successful and kill an entire unit of noise marines. This, of course, left her with her proverbial 'weenie' in the wind for return fire. She took 7 hits that would be instant death. I picked up the dice, and jokingly said, "Well, if God will help her..." As the dust cleared, there she stood; unexpectedly slavering for another assault.

FrankieKhainor
26-07-2010, 17:05
I played a game and my opponent insisted I keep all my models in a 12" quarter circle in the corner for deployment, and because of this, his boom cannon or whatever it was killed most of my things, including a predator and thunderfire cannon. Then, my land speeder squad proceeded to score a miniscule amount of wounds on around 30 boyz and the next turn my LS multi meltas failed to affect the boom gun thing. Then, it was exploded by a wave serpent bright lance, some dire avengers bladestormed the boyz, and then the nobz were banshee-d and the ork player was left with not much.

The funny thing was that the looted wagon with the boom gun was a rhino that he'd stuck the top hatches on the front of to be the gun, and had carved out the front of the rhino, which made me wince. Talk about turning on your comrades. Unfortunately, attention was drawn from that to my WIP thunderfire cannon, which was, and still is, a maltesers tube stuck on some cereal box card. +1 wound to any model it hit was the general consensus!

mcgeeza
26-07-2010, 17:28
@OP: That would only have been ironic if he was a mountain climbing footwear salesman. :D

Was his name Bob 'Ironic Bob' McIron from Ironville?

Mannimarco
26-07-2010, 17:42
Careful you! You will give GW ideas for their next special character