PDA

View Full Version : what is the best 2nd hand model find you have ever had?

Middenmordheimer
23-07-2010, 01:39
last week i went to my local hobby store for a browse and looked in the second hand model cabinent and found a whole heap of metal lord of the rings character models for $1 each some oop and a fantasy model for $2 that turned out to be Marco Colombo from dogs of war. So i was wondering what is the best find any of you have had?

w3rm
23-07-2010, 01:48
My best find was my cousins retired 2000 point space marine army that I didnt pay a cent for :D

Ultimate Life Form
23-07-2010, 02:21
The old Grave Guard on ebay.

Then again it's also the only one I ever wanted.

Hicks
23-07-2010, 03:05
I've had a lot of good deals in my life, but lately I got an LE Lictor for $12 and a LE dwarf standard bearer as part of a trade that made largely in my favor.

Both times I wasn't aware of the situation until the package arrived.

Rogzor87
23-07-2010, 03:23
Gamesday Emperors Champion(free*didn't get from gamesday*), Gamesday Female IG Commisar(Free*didn't get from gamesday*), 4000pnts worth of Blood Angels($30), 2000pnts worth of WoC($10). I think thats most of the awesome deals/finds I got.

Urgat
23-07-2010, 03:33
The night gob flipping the bird for a couple euros :p

Lord Dan
23-07-2010, 03:42
The old Grave Guard on ebay.

Then again it's also the only one I ever wanted.

Do you mean the old grave guard (HW+shield), the old grave guard (halberd+shield), or the old grave guard (mixed weapons, massive helmets)?

commander of the marines
23-07-2010, 03:55
hmm let's see:

I will recieve this for FREE tomorrow:
at least that's what the guy was sure about that he had, it could be more...

1 great cannon
1 mortar
1 hellblaster volleygun
30 swordsmen
6 pistoliers
23 archers
22 handgunners
16 knights
8 spearmen
32 halberdiers
3 wizards on foot
1 wizard + horse
master engineer

Halelel
23-07-2010, 03:56
Craigslist. Some guy locally was listing a big box of what he figured were old space marines for $50 and said it included a few tanks. Figured it was worth the risk to buy them as at worst I'd probably have to spend a few days stripping paint and reassembling bad plastic mono-pose models.

He sent me the box and much to my surprise it was an entire grey knight daemonhunter army with a couple land raiders that was decently painted. Sold it on ebay a few weeks later and it ended up funding about three 2,000pt fantasy armies for me.

Lord Dan
23-07-2010, 04:24
hmm let's see:

I will recieve this for FREE tomorrow:
at least that's what the guy was sure about that he had, it could be more...

1 great cannon
1 mortar
1 hellblaster volleygun
30 swordsmen
6 pistoliers
23 archers
22 handgunners
16 knights
8 spearmen
32 halberdiers
3 wizards on foot
1 wizard + horse
master engineer

What kind of "free" are we talking about here? You mean free as in "I'll do you this favor if I can call on you for a favor of my choosing in the future"? Perhaps it's the "don't ask me where I got it" type of free? Maybe the old "hang on to this for me for a while" free?

I hoping it's the more relative "I found this stuff in my son's room, you can have it for $20" kind of free. Otherwise that's an insane, somewhat questionable amount of free.

defunct
23-07-2010, 04:27
A Kislev lot:
16 Kossars, 10 Ungol cavalry and the Tsar on Bear for only 60 euros from a domestic Warhammer forum.

...then sold them on for like 200 euros combined. :D

wyvirn
23-07-2010, 04:32
Near complete anvil of doom for a pittance. or 1200+ points of dwarves for $30.

Clobbersaurus
23-07-2010, 05:34
The HE Everqueen and a unit of handmaidens or whatever they're called for free.

SiNNiX
23-07-2010, 06:23
Way way way back in the day when I played Chaos, my friend who was quitting me gave me a huge army including Egrimm Van Horstmann for free.:skull:

~Aura~
23-07-2010, 07:33
Nothing for free, but I have had some bargains:

-The High Elf Everqueen for 2
-Metal High Elf and Orc Blood Bowl Teams (and some plastic Lizardmen/Brets) in an old style bubble case for 6
-An old bubble foam case with 5 Diaz Daemonettes, 2 old well-painted Minotaurs, a bunch of older LOTR stuff, a couple of Inquisitor characters, some horses, and some Dark Eldar for 15
- A box of old metal High Elves and old metal Orcs and Goblins with some Tallarn squads for 10
- A load of High Elf bitz including a metal mounted mage, the chariot lions, and enough pieces for approx. 10 archers, 10 spearmen and 2 plastic characters for 5
- A St. Celestine (missing a sword arm) for 3
- The Mordhiem Sisters of Sigmar Augur for 2
- A Blister of Dwarf Doomseekers for 4
- 10 more Diaz Daemonettes for about 15

The biggest I got was off Ebay, it was someone's collection. It cost I think 150 and came with a carry case, a toolbox case, a big box of bitz, a Dark Elf army with a Hydra and 3 Bolt Throwers, a Tomb Kings army with 9 chariots, a High Elf army with 5 Dragon Princes and 24 Silver Helms, an Orc army with lots of Wolf Riders, a Doom Diver and a Rock Lobber, a small Lizardmen force with old Skinks and Temple Guard, and some 40K stuff like old metal Marines and Tau. I kept the Orcs, Tomb Kings, bitz, a part of the Dark Elves and both cases and sold the rest, and made the 150 back. So I kinda did get stuff for free :P

Desert Rain
23-07-2010, 10:24
The Everqueen
9 Maiden Guards
40 Archers (4th edition plastic)
40 Spearmen (4th edition plastic)
10 Silver Helms (old metal)
5 Ellyrian Reavers
2 Bolt Throwers (5th edition metal)
2 Mages (old metal ones)
Tyrion (old from 5th I think)
1 Tiranoc Chariot (old metal one)
10 Swordmasters (with FC)
8 Shadow Warriors (really old ones)

Everything for about 40 or so.

Vashta
23-07-2010, 10:30
Shaggoth for 20p :D

Lorcryst
23-07-2010, 11:44
My best deal was an OOP 4th edition Night Goblin Shaman for 4 euros ... but I don't really search for deals ...

Jedi152
23-07-2010, 11:46
Man o War and an entire metal HE fleet for 10 out of the paper.

When we got there the woman explained that her son had left to go to uni and we could take any of his collection we wanted.

sephiroth87
23-07-2010, 12:54
I had a guy give me a tupperware box full of old models. It had gotten water logged during a flood so they needed cleaning and stripping and he was just wanting to get rid of it. If I remember right, it had a norse, orc, goblin, and dwarf bloodbowl teams, about 100 necromunda models, 50 or so mordheim models, bunch of chaos fantasy, a giant spider, dragon ogres, lizardmen, a bunch of the old black marines with flames (lost and damned?), 2nd edition 40k orks, salamanders, terminators, 2nd edition marines, and most of a stompa. There's way more that was in that box but that's all I can remember now. I ended up piecing together 3 armies with what was in the box and still gave out half of it to friends.

Artinam
23-07-2010, 13:36
Some Bretonnians, there was a guy who had a store selling most of his old stock to make room. Found a lot of OOP stuff there.

Tristan le Troubadour and his friend,
The 2-handed Sword swinging Bretonnian Hero
The very dynamic Paladin swinging a morningstar.
Quite a bunch of guys, payed normal price for them though. Still need a paint job :(

SilentCivilian
23-07-2010, 15:47
A friends mum gave me his Orc and Goblins army as she was just going to throw it out.

Got 2 3rd edition metal trolls. 6 3rd edition metal ogres a bucket load of all the mono posed models from 4th. About 20 boar boys mixed metals and plastic boars and riders. As well as the icing on the cake the Marauder Metal Giant. Not a single model has ever even had any paint near it before i got them.

Added to which a 2000pt greenskins army i got of eBay for 30 inc p&p and i had a nice new army. Good times.

Commodus Leitdorf
23-07-2010, 15:53
Gamesday Archaeon on foot for 10 dollars

Also a bunch of small Helcannon wheels from a bits sell off for abot 8 bucks (got about 12 pairs)....really useful for conversions for my Chaos Dwarfs!

commander of the marines
23-07-2010, 16:13
What kind of "free" are we talking about here? You mean free as in "I'll do you this favor if I can call on you for a favor of my choosing in the future"? Perhaps it's the "don't ask me where I got it" type of free? Maybe the old "hang on to this for me for a while" free?

I hoping it's the more relative "I found this stuff in my son's room, you can have it for $20" kind of free. Otherwise that's an insane, somewhat questionable amount of free.

I started warhammer a week before 8th came out and the guy had this empire army and just told me I could have it for free because he doesn't need it, all he asked was that I' buy him a something to drink....

as I found this rather stupid I offered him to pay for it he told me:

you don't have to pay you can have it for free but if you really wanna pay I'm not gonna hold you.

the only catch is that most of the models are not the newer models and so most of the army is metal

Billy
23-07-2010, 16:24
I was about to buy Grimgor Ironhide new. And when i went into the shop he was on the used shelf for $5.

Other than that goodluck on my part nothing to exceptional...

Plagueridden
23-07-2010, 17:06
hmmm

original Heinrich Kemler for near 600 pounds.
and Mikael Jacsen his trusty champion for near 350 pounds.
been hunting them down since the 80's, but two years ago they finally came :)

Rafi
23-07-2010, 17:51
Bought a badly photo-ed 'Rogue Trader Space Marine lot' off of Ebay. Over 100 plastic RT marines assembled, 20 or so in bits, 30-odd metal marines, 3 dreads (RT metal), 5 robots, 2 speeders (RT metal), 2 bikes (RT metal), 1 assault bike (RT metal), 2 predators, 3 rhinos, 2 land raiders. $100.

Anvilbrow
23-07-2010, 18:16
An old game store in San Diego was fed up with GW's policies and the owner gave away all of his GW stock (which was significant). There were several of us there and while I'm not sure how much others got, I made out pretty well. Something like 50-60 blisters of various things (this was 5th ed days) and a dozen boxes or so, plus a few army books, paint etc.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say several hundred dollars worth of brand new stuff.

RMacDeezy
23-07-2010, 18:26
70 HE swordmasters for $20. Back in 5th ed this rich kid started HE and bought all the swordmasters. after losing a couple games he was so mad he sold them to me for nothing

Panzer MkIV
23-07-2010, 19:03
The Epic: Space Marine boxed set with everything accounted for, for only 10 euro

Gandalf the Gay
23-07-2010, 23:20
I got Archaon on foot and a Branzino galloper gun + crew(no bronzino) for 10.

Some Bretonnians, there was a guy who had a store selling most of his old stock to make room. Found a lot of OOP stuff there.

Tristan le Troubadour and his friend,
The 2-handed Sword swinging Bretonnian Hero
The very dynamic Paladin swinging a morningstar.
Quite a bunch of guys, payed normal price for them though. Still need a paint job :(

The very dynamic Paladin with the morningstar, is it the guy with a tower on his head? I can't recall another paladin with a morningstar, but I wouldnt call this one dynamic, so I am confused.

JackBurton01
24-07-2010, 02:33
2000 pts of necrons for 200 dollars
lord
destroyer lord
60necrons
15 destroyers
2 tomb spiders
12 scarbs
1 monolith

JackBurton01
24-07-2010, 02:35
When pops closed I picked up 400 dollars worth of beastmen for 100

~Aura~
24-07-2010, 07:38
Got a new-style Witch Elf, a Dark Elf Bolt Thrower crewman, and the old female Wood Elf mage on foot for 20p the other day.

Soul of Iron
24-07-2010, 14:54
I got a pack of 38 old school Pink/Blue horrors from ebay for like 20$. Love those models.

Justicar_Freezer
24-07-2010, 19:10
Mine had to be when my best friend and I went to Historicon down in Lancaster. We went to the flea market and as we were browsing we happened upon a guy who was selling a big Demonhunters army as well as a big Guard army. Seeing as those are the armies my friend and I happen to play we started talking to the guy.

Now the Demon hunter army had a land raider, and a chimera. There was a unit of stormtroopers, an inquisitor and his retinue as well as the special character inquisitor. Then there were two squads of grey knights in power armor and roughly 3 squads of grey knight terminators most of which were the older 2nd oop ones as well as the oop terminator inquisitor.

The Guard army consisted of 2 or 3 chimera's, I believe 2 leman russes, a leman russ demolisher, two sentinels and a lot of infantry including models from RT, mordians, tallarans, and valhallans along with a squad of karskin.

We got both of these armies as well as the carrying cases he had for them for $400. Needless to say we were both very happy campers and left that day quite happy with ourselves.

There was also the big lot of Man o War we got for $100 as well. Sometimes you have to love the flea market down there.

Tualarc
27-07-2010, 22:00
A bunch of people used to bring their acquaintances over to my house to game with us back in high school. At least 4 of those people left their armies and then vanished without a trace. After waiting 2 or 3 years and no contact I figured they were abandoned and I'd give them a new home. Came out to a High Elf Army full of elites, a bunch of boar boys, a fair bit of Chaos for fantasy, a Necron force, and a couple Eldar.

I ended up trading 12 of the Necrons for a "small chaos force." I didn't even know if it was for fantasy or 40k but I ended up getting the new (at that time) Demon Prince, 2 Rhino's, about 20 or so 'zerkers, a squad of CSM still on sprue, some old school Raptors, and the 4th Edition codex.

enyoss
27-07-2010, 22:16
My best buy was a unit of 30+ 5th edition High Elf seaguard on Ebay a couple of years back.

These models used to go for a packet, so I put in a maximum bid of 20 quid for the hell of it and then went to the pub. When I got back and found I'd won them for 18 pounds I seriously couldn't believe my eyes. It made me happy I didn't buy them first time round in the 90's! Now they're the pride of my army :).

EDIT: It might not sounds that spectacular, but as a point of comparison a unit of around 20 went for upwards of 50 quid just a few weeks before I got mine.

S_A_T_S
27-07-2010, 22:33
Wow, some of these deals are incredible. Shows me I'll have to spend a bit more time scouring the papers for stuff.

My best deal was getting the old Great Unclean One (lead, no weapons, huge grin) that I've always loved on eBay, finding the same guy had an old 2-headed Changer of Ways, got that as well, with combined P&P came to less than 5 for the pair (price to buy current models - 70).

Note to OP: I managed to find Marco Columbo in a basket behind the counter of a toy shop in Wales for 1, still in an unopened blister.

mostlyharmless
27-07-2010, 23:12
a dozen treekin for $40. They were the models used at Games Day Chicago a few years back, and they were hawking them at the Seattle Bunker for pennies on the dollar.

Also: Lord Dan, the fact that you're quoting me in your sig has made my day.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-07-2010, 23:22
1.50 for a CSM Daemon Prince, and 1.50 for two land speeders. I was pretty please with those deals ;).

Nixon

Aedes
27-07-2010, 23:58
I bought a nearly complete used Dark Elf army online for 150NZ$ (1500points).
Only characters and some elites were missing.
A bargain in any case.
Of course I recieved the army as a broken pile of plastic in a bag,
but after I love the converting and painting part of the hobby it wasnt a problem at all.

Dark Aly
28-07-2010, 11:21
in the GW january sales (back when they did exist) i bought a whole genestealer cult army for 20. that 5 models for 1 so 100 genestealer hybrids including magi, acolytes and neophytes. they were new from GW so don't really fit in this thread

as long as second hand models aren't painted (hopefully unasssembled too) or are metal and so can paint stripped then most are good deals.
badly painted or modeled plastics are never deals- will always look bad.

phoenixguard09
28-07-2010, 11:29
An entire Chaos Epic 40K Army for free simply because my friend had no idea what they were. None painted or even assembled. Lots of tanks, termies, beastmen even. I think they were beasts. :eyebrows: Neither did I and I still don't. :D

Da Crusha
28-07-2010, 11:44
I bought an auction on ebay a while ago because I could make out a few models but the pic was horrid. I spent like 40 $ and got about 100 models which included a chaos dwarf death rocket and a chaos dwarf earthshaker an entire unit of Chaos dwarf models painted. the value of the lot would probably exceed 150$

but this is nothing compared to a deal my cousin got. he went to a friend of a friends to buy a O&G army for a substantial discount. when he got their the guy explained he was moving out of the country and couldnt take it and my cousin told him about losing his job and having a baby on the way, well, the guy decided to give him everything he had... for free! an expertly painted O&G army from a silver demon winner. an entire SM army. an entire Eldar army, several large tuppaware bins of terrain. his actual silver demon award unit! the guy told him to sell it and raise money for the family. most of it is gone now but he couldn't part with the fantastic O&G minis.

vinush
28-07-2010, 13:00
Mine had to be getting 10 Green knight horses in a grab bag at a GW event for 3 just before the store closed. Brilliant! They now serve as mounts for my black knights.

THE \/ince

waaagh 2.0
28-07-2010, 13:41
a 1977 Ral Partha giant for 3 including postage from ebay was a nice find also I managed to snaffle up 2000 points of 80s and 90s space marines for 1.25 at a school fayre about 9/10 years back

Arkfatalis
28-07-2010, 14:57
I got the LE Hellbrant Grimm from Black Library for 12 off Ebay. It didn't include the orc, but it was a good buy and the pile of dead orcs makes a great centerpiece.

kyussinchains
28-07-2010, 17:39
I picked up the storm of chaos sorcerer model (the foot one with 3 arms) on ebay for 2 still in blister, and at the same sitting, got the GD02 chaos champion model for 0.99p, still mint in blister too... both of the models go for around 20 on ebay these days....

Perfect Fool
28-07-2010, 18:19
Not my best bargain, but one for someone else... I worked at a Games Workshop store during the period when they were changing over from lead to pewter minis. Got a free Wood Elf army box for working the last day sale (one of the 100 quid jobs with a Forest Dragon, etc) and gave it away to a kid who lived upstairs in the block of flats I was renting the basement appartment in. He seemed kind of happy with the deal and at the time I had so much unpainted lead hanging about from staff discount orders I didn't know what to do with even more of the stuff.

Da Crusha
30-07-2010, 00:20
about 5 years ago a distant cousin asked me if I still paint those "figurines" I told him yeah and he gave me a bag. I opened it up and it contained a whole bunch of 2nd and 3rd ed. Bloodbowl models. 19 Dark elves. 15 or so humans, at least 25 skaven, 6 dwarfs, 2 chaos dwarfs, 6 or 7 wood elves. and probably 6 or 7 Orcs. I didnt use them for a few years and then gave the skaven to another cousin of mine because he plays skaven. and I havent done anything with the other ones, so I started reading bloodbowl recently so I could get some use out of them.

decker_cky
30-07-2010, 05:41
$30 for a pile of rough space marines including an old whirlwind, an old rhino and a current razorback. Bunch of tac marines, scouts, devastators. So a good deal.

Then I found it included Sgt Centurius...

:D:D:D:D

Jind_Singh
30-07-2010, 12:04
Old school marauder giant!!! Got him at a GW bitz swap - pretty much for free - and he's one of my old school favs!

ltsobel
31-07-2010, 07:54
Warhammer starter (Brets VS Liz) on day of release swapped for Grand Moff Tarkin Star Wars CCG card.

Braad
31-07-2010, 08:49
Bought the big fantasy starter set with orcs and empire for 40 euro's, and sold just the empire bit again for that same price. Not bad...

Also got a few out of print and limited edition characters, trolls and stuff like that. They were not cheap, but still I'm quite happy about having them.

w3rm
31-07-2010, 16:58
I got most of the 6th edition starter set for free. Was missing 1 or 2 orcs and some spearmen but still a deal!

Rogzor87
02-08-2010, 01:36
Not as good as my first post here but I just got a decent deal.

150ishx goblins(60/w spears, 40/w bows, Can't tell the rest)
27x Goblin Wolf Riders
1x Grom the Paunch of Misty Mountains
2x goblin warboss /w Wolves
1x Shaman on foot
1x Random Squig
10x Random Goblin models I can't decipher yet
30x Forest spider riders
1x Night goblin warboss /w Giant squig

Got all this on Ebay for around $110