PDA

View Full Version : 0 stats, spells, and nets.

ghostline
23-07-2010, 10:27
Okay the BRB says that if your S, T, or W reaches 0 the model is considered slain.

So what happens if in the magic phase you cast that spell that reduces the Strength of the unit by d3(to a minimum of 1) On a unit of High Elves. The high elves are reduced to Strength 1. Then the unit get's into combat with some night goblins(either through a charge, or a spell that gives it out of sequence movement). The night goblins net the high elves and the high elves are effectively S 0.

So is the high elf unit removed from play? Do they get get a kind of save? Is it even legal?

Ultimate Life Form
23-07-2010, 10:31
Netters have been known to do such nasty things once in a while.

Milgram
23-07-2010, 11:42
it is legal and funny :)

teleologica
23-07-2010, 11:52
Just to check (I don't have the O&G book handy). Does the entry for netters say that the enemy's attacks are made at a lower strength, or does it say that the enemy's actual strength is reduced?

If it's the former, they won't be killed; if it's the latter, then they will (as harsh as that may seem). Having said that, I don't think any O&G wizards can use the BRB Lores, can they? So barring odd alliances in multi-player games, I doubt this could happen.

Again, don't have the book to hand, so if anything I've just said is wrong, apologies. :)

Ultimate Life Form
23-07-2010, 11:53
Everyone can use the BRB Lores with a Wizarding Hat.

teleologica
23-07-2010, 11:55
Ah yes, good point.

I guess a Night Goblin Lord with pointy hat might actually be worth the points then, in the interests of getting something funny / nasty like this off ...

Texhnolyze
23-07-2010, 12:00
The same thing can be done with this spell and the nurgle spell curse of the leper ^^

T10
23-07-2010, 12:34
Okay the BRB says that if your S, T, or W reaches 0 the model is considered slain.

So what happens if in the magic phase you cast that spell that reduces the Strength of the unit by d3(to a minimum of 1) On a unit of High Elves. The high elves are reduced to Strength 1. Then the unit get's into combat with some night goblins(either through a charge, or a spell that gives it out of sequence movement). The night goblins net the high elves and the high elves are effectively S 0.

So is the high elf unit removed from play? Do they get get a kind of save? Is it even legal?

Spells cannot reduce Strength to 0 unless otherwise specified.

It is true that, intuitively, the spell first reduces the Strength to 1 and then the nets apply a further penalty to the score.

In my opinion it is unreasonable to allow an effect that subject to a "min 1" restriction contribute in combination with an other effect in order to break its own restriction.

-T10

Poseidal
23-07-2010, 14:04
Can you tell me where is the minimum of S1 restriction in the rulebook?

Does it apply to other stats too? (WS, I etc)

Ultimate Life Form
23-07-2010, 14:06
Page 4, Characteristics of Zero.

Page 31, Hex.

Paraelix
23-07-2010, 14:48
S0 = unable to wound anything. A stat of Zero cannot pass any tests/rolls. So if you fail a fear test to Nurgle knights you may not attack them. Ws 1 -1 = 0.