PDA

View Full Version : Partially viable targets

fenrisnorth
24-07-2010, 02:16
If a unit is shooting at an emend unit where only a small portion of the unit (perhaps only a single model or part thereof) is in range or line of sight, can the rest of the unit be wounded.

It seems to me that the RAW answer is yes, and I can't find any rules against it, but it just seems silly to that, for example, a unit is behind a building and because a single guy sticks his head around the corner the entire unit is now vulnerable to arrow fire.

Zaustus
24-07-2010, 02:21
You've answered the question yourself. By the rules, the unit is a valid target if at least one model is visible.

Feel free to houserule if you and your opponents don't like that rule. :)

snowywlf
24-07-2010, 02:26
Check out page 41, the picture along the bottom. Even though the answer is yes, the unit can be targeted, you now get a -2 hard cover save. :) Honestly, not much is going to hit with that extra -2 (most things will be hitting on a 4+ normally, the cover alone brings it to 6+, then add in long range, movement, etc.).

Ultimate Life Form
24-07-2010, 02:30
Even a partially viable target is a viable target. :shifty:

wilsongrahams
24-07-2010, 02:39
And what's to say that the guy that stuck his head around the corner and got an arrow in his eye didn't drop dead and then his mate poked his head around to see where it came from and so on until they all end up in a pile of corpses with arrows in their eyes wishing they'd reformed to stay hidden instead?

fenrisnorth
24-07-2010, 03:37
AKA a "how mom and dad saved the world" moment

Haravikk
24-07-2010, 10:22
In some games, depending on the exact situation, in particularly silly cases I often play that you can only kill the number of models that are actually visible when shooting most mundane shooting attacks. But that of course is purely a house-rule, so it's up to you if you want to do something like that.

As you say, RAW you can wipe an entire unit even if a single model is poking out around the side of a building; a lot of cases may however call for the use of a soft-cover or hard-cover penalty to hit though.