PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 1" buffer between units

Balerion
24-07-2010, 07:55
As we know, units cannot normally move within 1" of an enemy unit, except for when this prohibition is lifted during a charge and/or the combat phase.

So what happens when one of your units inadvertently ends up within 1" of an enemy unit without being engaged in a combat? Do you simply shift them the minimum distance required to clear the forbidden zone?

Examples of when this could happen:

1. Unit A charges Unit X, and moves to within 1" of another enemy unit while doing so. Unit X breaks, but Unit A elects to restrain and is successful. Unit A is now unengaged, but still within 1" of an enemy.

2. Unit A charges Unit X, and moves to within 1" of another enemy unit while doing so. Unit X breaks, and Unit A pursues them off the board. When Unit A returns to the board they will enter within 1" of an enemy unit.

It's not really a big deal, but I'd like to know the correct procedure (if one exists).

Synnister
24-07-2010, 10:15
pg 13 says you nudge them apart if you get within 1" of an enemy you didn't charge.

pg 58 says when they come back on the battlefield, they come back as close to where they left as possible. So, you put them 1" away from the enemy.

Mr_Rose
24-07-2010, 10:25
Yup. Move them the minimum distance to maintain separation. Or stop them short if they would move within that distance for some reason. The 1" Apart section on p.13 says that whilst it's OK to end up closer than 1" during a charge, you should shuffle units not actually in combat to clarify this, and Pursuit off the Table on p.58 mentions that the pursuers must be returned "as close as possible" to where they left.

E: Damn ninjas. Gonna have to get the place fumigated again. :p

mightyzombie
24-07-2010, 10:27
Don't know if there's an official rule in place for that. I'd be sort o surprised if there wasn't, but not as much as I probably should be.

I'd say that you'd just move which ever unit is most convenient away from the other to reach the minimum "safe zone." i.e. in example 1, I'd say that Unit A would be moved away from teh enemy upon successful pursuit restraint. In example 2, I'd say that the enemy that is too near Unit A would be moved, as Unit A has more severe restrictions on it's placement, as it has just returned from pursuit off the table.

Edit: Wow. Double Ninja'd

Balerion
24-07-2010, 17:11
Thanks.

pg 13 says you nudge them apart if you get within 1" of an enemy you didn't charge.

pg 58 says when they come back on the battlefield, they come back as close to where they left as possible. So, you put them 1" away from the enemy.

Hmmm. I wonder what would happen if a unit pursued off the board, and then two enemy units both came to within 1" of the zone in which the pursuer was meant to reemerge.

I suppose you would still have to fulfill the "as close as possible" obligation, but in a case like that "as close as possible" could turn out to be 12" away from where you should be. :eek:

It's an interesting way to mess with units who pursue something off of your table edge and threaten to romp around behind your lines.

Venthrac
24-07-2010, 18:40
Here's another one.

Unit A and Unit B are in combat. Unit A wins, Unit B flees and is caught, and so is destroyed. Unit A still has to move forward the pursue distance of 9", and does so. At around inch 6 of that 9 inches, pursuing Unit A comes extremely close to an enemy block, Unit C. I'd say it was about about half an inch. Because pursuing Unit A is quite large, and is now scraping along the edge of another enemy unit such that their movement trays are practically touching, we decided that the pursuit actually stopped at 5", rather than push the two blocks apart. If we had pushed Unit C over, then they would have been pushed closer than 1" toward another enemy.

The reality is, the game just gets messy sometimes. The feeling I get from the rules is that when this happens, you and your opponent should work out a solution that is sensible and practical (and fair).