PDA

View Full Version : Vostroyans, commissars and Stormtroopers?

IGoblinego
24-07-2010, 11:47
Do they have these for their help? I think not because they are like SWs, fighting mostly for themself.

madd0ct0r
24-07-2010, 13:53
They are part of the IG, therefore, if the Departmento Munitorium thinks it neccesary, they will have commissars and Stormtrooper squads allocated to them.
Commissars in particular lie outside the normal rank structure and are there to ensure obediance to Imperial Laws.

IIRC, the only IG force that are noted for having less commissars are the Catachans. They are still allocated, but frequently meet with unfortunate accidents, directly attributable to the hell holes the Catachans fight in.
And not a source of humour at all, soldier.

A Shadow
25-07-2010, 22:03
As the Firstborn see them selves as elite I wouldn't be surprised if they train their own version of stormtroopers as all of their soldiers have carapace armour as standard.

Clockwork-Knight
25-07-2010, 22:30
Every world can have their versions of stormtroopers, which would be grenadiers (which game-wise have the same stats as stormtroopers). For example, Kasrkin are Cadian elite soldiers as good as stormtroopers. They are born on Cadia, live on Cadia, have perhaps still living cadian daddies and mommies when they joined the PDF, where trained to become grenadiers, and where then shipped off to the Imperial Guard as shock soldiers.
True Imperial Stormtroopers however come from the schola progenium, as they lost their daddies and mommies when they were young, and are absolutely loyal to the Imperium, whereas grenadiers and other similar elite units hailing from a specific world are more loyal to their people in general.

Green-is-best
26-07-2010, 00:02
Actually, Grenadiers do not have the same equipment or training as Stormtroopers. (At least in the codex) Grenadiers are simply veterans that wear carapace armor, while Stormtroopers have significantly more powerful lasguns, the ability to deepstrike, and the special operations rule.

As far as I can tell, Cadia and Krieg are the only planets so far in the established in the fluff that are capable of training and equipping Stormtrooper quality infantry.

Clockwork-Knight
26-07-2010, 00:25
Ah, yes, true, there is a new Imperial Guard Codex that might have changed some background lore from before and of course introduce new rules that relate to the new background lore.

Blitz001
26-07-2010, 01:34
Actually, Grenadiers do not have the same equipment or training as Stormtroopers. (At least in the codex) Grenadiers are simply veterans that wear carapace armor, while Stormtroopers have significantly more powerful lasguns, the ability to deepstrike, and the special operations rule.

As far as I can tell, Cadia and Krieg are the only planets so far in the established in the fluff that are capable of training and equipping Stormtrooper quality infantry.

Depending on the Planet a Grenadier could be armed with a rock.....or a Hot-shot las gun(the new codex really doesnt give you enough options). In all honesty it really comes down to the fluff you make for your regiment, or the fluff already put out for them. If i had to guess the Vostroyan elite would probly have the best equipment possible; yes this does include hot-shot lasguns, and hell the elite might also have the pull to be deployed from w/e they need to be deployed from.

Also for the future dont get the codex special rules mixed up with fluff...i know they attempt to hit the mark but they usually just leave us hanging.

A Shadow
26-07-2010, 22:29
Actually, in the novel Malleus as part of the Eisenhorn Omnibus it is implied that Kasrkin are superior to Stormtroopers purely because they are the elite of the elite.

Askil the Undecided
26-07-2010, 22:35
Actually, in the novel Malleus as part of the Eisenhorn Omnibus it is implied that Kasrkin are superior to Stormtroopers purely because they are the elite of the elite.

Then again there's also no evidence that Eisenhorn has ever seen Stormtroopers in action nor is there any method objective measurement.

Eisenhorn makes his assessment based on the fact the Cadians are exceptionally impressive and the Kasrkin are regarded as elite even by their standards.

A Shadow
28-07-2010, 00:07
It was not Eisenhorn making that assessment.

RedSarge
28-07-2010, 07:17
They have the Shakos hat, they do not need no hot shot lasguns.. THEY HAVE WOODEN stocks!

And moustaches and coats. Don't see why they couldn't order some 'toy soldiers' for assistance though.

Askil the Undecided
28-07-2010, 15:19
It was not Eisenhorn making that assessment.

Fair enough, I've not read the Eishenhorn trilogy recently. However it's still either Abnett's grasp of the fluff (and we all know what that means) or an opinion of an in-universe individual, one who most likely doesn't have much experience of non-Cadian special forces like IG Stormtroopers.

If Kasrkin were so much better than Stormtroopers don't you think they would be deployed more widely separated into a separate corps, shipped off to fight in other warzones or eployed as detatchments more commonly?

How are the Vostroyans like the Space Wolves? They are IG = Rigid Command structure.

Reflex
28-07-2010, 23:22
because space wolves are ****...

heheh see what i did thar!

Shamana
29-07-2010, 11:16
If Kasrkin were so much better than Stormtroopers don't you think they would be deployed more widely separated into a separate corps, shipped off to fight in other warzones or eployed as detatchments more commonly?

A) I think they are deployed elsewhere, but not very often. As for their command structure, I'd say if it survived so many Black Crusades, it probably works well enough, so the Lords of Terra don't see a reason for a change.

B) Cadia is one of the most important battlefronts for the Imperium, now more than ever. Cadians are needed on Cadia, stormtroopers will have to do for whatever puny rebellions or minor skirmishes with slobbering aliens there are ;).

MagosHereticus
29-07-2010, 15:56

and ultramarines are the bestest of the best and every marine wants to be one

A Shadow
30-07-2010, 05:56
Talking about Guard, not Astartes. And no, not every marine wants to be an Ultramarine.

madd0ct0r
30-07-2010, 08:26
he was being faecetious - the ultramarine example shows that not every bit of fluff re how good the subject of a book is can be taken seriously.