PDA

View Full Version : Ork Dreds and Kans arms?

Hrw-Amen
24-07-2010, 14:11
At the moment I am building some Deff-dreds and Kans and I have been reading up on the arming of these.

I found a reference in IA8 that implied that whilst normally dreds have four arms and kans two it may not always be the case. That got me searching and I found that for want of a better word, in an Apocalypse dred mob one can be designated as the leader and fitted with a kustom force field, but nothing about any dread or kan having an extra arm, anywhere?

Does anyone know of any reference that gives gusidelines for this, or are they just leaving open a slim possibility for the future should they wish to revisit it?

How would people feel about a Deffdred having four arms and then maybe a rokkit laucha mounted on/behind/near its head/hatch/top, a bit like a cyclone launcher on terminator sort of thing? I may just make it anyway as a model, but is there any background or fluff that would support this sort of thing?

BlackLegion
24-07-2010, 15:27
It would be only aestetically. A Deffdread might have a 3rd cc-arm but this only wouldmean that he has a regular cc-arm and two weaker cc-arms which ruleswise would count as two cc-arms. Same with gun-arms.

Sinisterfence
24-07-2010, 16:57
we're talking about Orks here, the things in the codex aren't standardized equipment, they're merely a way to streamline them so they can make rules to play the game with.. An Ork Dreadnought could have 10 arms and 6 legs for all they care, it's merely an Imperial label for a general size of Ork walker

Son of Sanguinius
24-07-2010, 23:39
Sinisterfence is right. Orks will staple additional weapons and appendages on if they feel like it, and the damn things will work just because they want it to. Orks are a customizers dream. Or nightmare.

Malice313
25-07-2010, 11:59
Original Ork Dreadnoughts had 2 arms (Killer Dreadnoughts) but had an expansion pack that gave it 4 (Super Attack Onslaught Dreadnoughts).

http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rt204orkdreadnought.htm

Further reading on this can be found on page 69 of the Compendium (Red Book).

Vaulkhar
25-07-2010, 13:32
I...erm...*grabs brain bleach to erase seeing that old miniature*.

Ok, where was I...oh yes. In an interesting inversion, the four armed variant was then the standard through second edition until the two armed version came back as the Killa Kan.

Son of Sanguinius
25-07-2010, 16:52
Can I borrow that bleach? I just saw All About Steve.

Hrw-Amen
25-07-2010, 21:54
Sometimes the old models are good to have though, not because they are great models (Although some are.) but because they remind us of what was around when we started in the hobby. Or as in my case were a few years into it. I have not got one of them though I would like to have one.

But anyway, from a model point of view it would be perfectly acceptable to have a 'cyclone' style launcher mounted then.

gitburna
26-07-2010, 14:33
There's not only the "counts as having 3 arms" part of it... the model might literally have 3 arms, with a bigshoota poking out of the hull/vision slit/top hatch or whatever (the 4th arm according to the rules)

Malice313
27-07-2010, 01:51
I...erm...*grabs brain bleach to erase seeing that old miniature*.

You young whipper-snappers don't know how good you gots it.;)