PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up a Doombull

Lamenter
24-07-2010, 18:32
Hi all,

I haven't played Warhammer in more than a decade, but I'm very excited by 8th edition and want to assemble a new Beastman force. I'm a very fluff orientated player who loves having awesome models more so than winning games but that doesn't stop me wanting to be competitive.

The overall theme of the army will be a Beastman army of the Raven God (inspired by the subtler Tzeentchian asthetics of Warhammer Online).
One thing I have decided upon is that I will include a lone Doombull in the army as it's champion, inspired by this conversion featured in a twenty year old White Dwarf.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/lamenter76/aeacdddf.jpg

It's one of my favourite models from the "old" days and I want to try a recreate it though perhaps not so brightly coloured :p

I require a little help and advice regarding how best to equip this Doombull. I know he'll start with the Enchanted Item from the BRB - Arabyan Carpet, to represent his wings and as such he'll be out on his own rather than in a unit.

That leaves me 50 pts to try and make him as effective as possible. Some of the items I'm considering:

Healing potion - rather nice as he starts with 5 wounds
The Terrifying Mask of EEE! - causes Terror
Berserker Sword - I know he already has Frenzy, but this item will make sure he never loses it and combined with Bloodgreed he's going to get an extra attack every time he wins a combat (which he can't lose because he can't lose Frenzy :D)
Trollhide - Regeneration looks pretty awesome.

Having not played in a very long time let alone any 8th edition, I'm not sure what will be the biggest threat to this guy. I could try and spend the 50pts on stuff to keep him alive (ie: armour and ward saves) or on weaponry to maximize his damage output.

My general idea for the army's tactics is to have harpies, a Jabberslythe or two and ambushing Ungor Raiders occupying the enemy until my big blocks of infantry can make it into their lines.

Any suggestions on best tactics for him or how best to equip him would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

havockrauser
24-07-2010, 18:37
\
My general idea for the army's tactics is to have harpies, a Jabberslythe or two and ambushing Ungor Raiders occupying the enemy until my big blocks of infantry can make it into their lines.

So does the second jabberslythe cause the first to go mad? Or vice versa?

Also, I think your build is really interesting, and focused on a pretty reliable / utility focused doombull. I don't know how good he'll fare against some of the really decked out heroes in the 8th edition, and he'll pretty easily be singled out with magic and shooting on his cute lil carpet. BUT he'll definitely take care of business in many units once he gets in combat, just gonna hurt with all those attacks back ;p. I LIKE IT!

Palantir
24-07-2010, 19:14
Give him the I10 sword and a magic armor of some kind. Go character hunting :D

DrMabutu
24-07-2010, 23:11
I like the +3 attacks sword. Nothing wrong with having 9 attacks..............:p

ftayl5
24-07-2010, 23:39
A big flying Doombull would definately be my number one target (for shooting). So I'd say go something like this:

Flying Carpet, Armour of Destiny and Great Weapon
Now he flies, has heavy armour, a 4+ ward save and 6 strength 8 attacks. And of course his D3 impact hits and a stomp (or does he get thunderstomp)

And seriously, without that ward save, your 300+ point Lord could easily be taken down by a 35pt Spear Chukka.

Techpriest
24-07-2010, 23:53
I like to maximize the Large Base size of the doomBull.

Brass Cleaver
Heavy Armor
Shield
Slugskin
Some Kind of Ward Save or Regen

Lamenter
25-07-2010, 00:33
And seriously, without that ward save, your 300+ point Lord could easily be taken down by a 35pt Spear Chukka.

I think you're absolutely right, but a decent ward save is just so expensive :cries:

He'll just have to try and avoid LoS and get into combat where he can't be shot. Hopefully my other flying and ambushing units will be able to eliminate a lot of the threatening artillery.

After much deliberation I'm thinking - Flying Carpet, Heavy Armour, Shield, Gnarled Hide, Ramhorn Helm and a Berserker Sword.

He gets a 1+ save and bonus attacks for each successful save, permanent Frenzy with a bonus +1A for every combat phase he wins and he can fly (plus D3 stomp attacks).

If he targets units of infantry his STR 6 should already be sufficient and after four successful combat rounds he'll be up to 10 Attacks (before bonuses).

I might swap it around yet, but other than the lack of ward save I think this is quite promising, but then what the hell do I know :confused:

EDIT: the berserker sword might be a bit redundant as it's there to keep him frenzied if he loses a combat. If that happens he's probably near death and not doing his job properly anyway. A sword of striking however, will allow all those attacks to usually hit on a 2+ instead.

ftayl5
25-07-2010, 00:56
Yeah, the Berserker Sword is a bad choice IMO. Sword of Striking or even the Gold Sigil Sword would be better (initiative 10)

Lamenter
25-07-2010, 01:49
Yeah, the Berserker Sword is a bad choice IMO. Sword of Striking or even the Gold Sigil Sword would be better (initiative 10)

Not exactly sure if this would work, but:

Flying Carpet, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armour, Helm of Discord, Luckstone and Great Weapon.

Charges into combat with a unit, issues challenge, opponent has to pass Ld test or be unable to attack and will be hit automatically with a STR 8 weapon.
Still has a 2+ armour save and a luckstone just in case.

Not sure this would be effective but it'd be funny :D

ftayl5
25-07-2010, 02:05
Actually... that looks like it could be very good!
The drawback is the LD test, if they pass that's a wast of 30pts And if they don't (due to low LD) the Bull could probably maul them without the helm.

Still, a very potent combo you got there.

Dreadgrass
25-07-2010, 04:29
What about carpet, 4+ward talisman, Shadowhide and mundane gear to taste (probably AHW as Always strike Last wastes his high Initiative)? the talisman is slightly cheaper in points, allowing the shadowhide for extra to-hit modifiers. Also, don't be afraid to have him land and run through a wood or the like, the point is to get the bull where he wants to go, whether on the wing or on the hoof!

meneroth
25-07-2010, 08:16
yea the problem with the leadership test is that any combat "thing" worth his mettle has pretty high leadership anyway (think DE, HE, VC, ect) and the stuff that would have a decent chance of failing leadership (Skaven, O&G, OK) would probably be killed by it anyway. i would save the pts for something else personally.

Lamenter
25-07-2010, 11:54
Thanks for all the help guys. This is what I'm going to settle on:

Flying Carpet
Heavy Armour
Shield
Gnarled Hide - brings his save up to 1+
Ramhorn Helm - bonus attack for each save made
Uncanny Senses - +1 initiative takes him up to 6, good enough 90% of the time
Shadow Hide - much better survival from missiles whilst in cover
Warrior Bane - insurance against tough characters and monsters, and works nicely with I6

I know he'll be hideously expensive (353pts in fact), but I want him to be the centrepiece model in my army. He should be able to chew threw most stuff and even stand a chance against other monsters with his Warrior Bane (awesome for 5 pts).

I can't find any ruling on taking multiple Gifts of Chaos anywhere so I assume it doesn't have the same "one of each type" limitation that Magic Items do.

Now that I've decided on his equipment/gifts I can start planning his conversion. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Palantir
25-07-2010, 12:46
I can't find any ruling on taking multiple Gifts of Chaos anywhere so I assume it doesn't have the same "one of each type" limitation that Magic Items do.

The only limitation is that you can only choose a gift once pr army, i.e. 2 characters can't have the same gift.

Your Doombull looks pretty good. If you find that the 1+ save somehow doesn't cut it you can always switch some items around and give him a 5+ ward save for 35 points. Another trick is giving him the Pelt of the Shadowgave and Shadow-Hide for some very good protection from massed arrow fire when in cover, -3 or -4 to hit, as well as -2 on spells cast at him.
Depends on what you face I guess. Only experience will give you the answers.

The Doombull truly is a great model and I've been contemplating getting him myself just because he looks badass.

On another note, since he has teh magic carpet he is now a flyer right? How does woods affect flyers in 8th again? I can't remember.