PDA

View Full Version : War Machines and Number of Wounds

mightyzombie
24-07-2010, 22:40
So my opponent and I are of differing opinions on how war machine wounds work. RBRB p.108, 'Split Profile', states "A war machine's wounds are always considered equal to the number of remaining crew models (which is stated in the war machine's entry) - the Wounds value on it's profile is included only out of completeness."

The Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon shows 4 wounds on it's profile. It's entry does not list the number of crew that are included. The actual model itself comes with only 3 crew models.

Does the Warp Lightning Cannon have 3 (the number of crew models included in the kit) or 4 (the number listed on it's profile) Wounds?

Damocles8
24-07-2010, 23:02
I would assume 3, like most other warmachines

therat
24-07-2010, 23:06
From the Skaven FAQ: Page 68 – Warp Lightning Cannon, Special Rules
Ignore the Ponderous War Machine paragraph. Change the
second paragraph to “The Warp Lightning Cannon is a war
machine with three crew.”

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310260a_FAQ_Skaven_2010_v11.pdf

mightyzombie
24-07-2010, 23:08
From the Skaven FAQ: Page 68 – Warp Lightning Cannon, Special Rules
Ignore the Ponderous War Machine paragraph. Change the
second paragraph to “The Warp Lightning Cannon is a war
machine with three crew.”

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310260a_FAQ_Skaven_2010_v11.pdf

Oh lol. Clearly I should have just looked at the FAQ. Thanks for pointing that out, therat.

jaxom
25-07-2010, 16:06
Interesting. It still has 4 wounds in the stat-line in the BRB.

There are a number of models where this problem exists (all Elven bolt throwers, for example). Feel free to work it out with your opponent ahead of time. Our method has been to put the additional crewman out there and then note that he cannot swing in melee. This is most easily done with some non-humanoid marker like an ammo pile or fire pit or something. Then take the non-humanoid wound first.

narrativium
25-07-2010, 16:40
It has 4 wounds in its profile, but that characteristic is never used - in exactly the same way a standard cavalry mount's wounds are never used. It just a peculiar sense of "included for completeness".

jaxom
25-07-2010, 17:28
So what do people do about warmachines that do not explicitly state the number of crew in their entry but which come with a different number than their wounds in the kit?

wilsongrahams
25-07-2010, 17:53
Please give an example of a war machine that does not state the number of crew and maybe we can help. The FAQ's have addressed most such issues that I am aware of.
I would expect it to be the number of models in the kit.
A HE Bolt Thrower has three wounds on it's stat line but because it has two crew it effectively has two wounds in the game, and then it's fire wood.

Avian
25-07-2010, 17:55
So what do people do about warmachines that do not explicitly state the number of crew in their entry but which come with a different number than their wounds in the kit?
Eh? How was that even playable in 7th edition?

Paraelix
25-07-2010, 20:38
>_> I'm still on the sideline with this warmachine thing. If your wounds is only equal to crew, then why have they treated Casket/Cauldron/Anvil differently? Perhaps the Engineer gunner on a Warp Lightning cannon is actually suppose to have 2 wounds? Such that, in the same way to the Cauldron/Anvil/Casket there are wounds suffered that don't always remove a model?

wilsongrahams
25-07-2010, 21:51
Unless specified to be different then it is treated the same. I can't comment on the Engineer gunner as I don't have that army book and haven't read that FAQ - I'm ignorant to my enemies!

I suspect the war alter is treated different simply due to it's size and that some things will always get special rules.

Paraelix
25-07-2010, 21:55
Unless specified to be different then it is treated the same. I can't comment on the Engineer gunner as I don't have that army book and haven't read that FAQ - I'm ignorant to my enemies!

I suspect the war alter is treated different simply due to it's size and that some things will always get special rules.

There's nothing to say that it would be treated in that manner... I just think this "for completeness" thing is crap. If you want a High Elf RBT to have 2 wounds, change the freaking profile.

Todosi
25-07-2010, 22:25
How does the Anvil of Doom work then? Are we able to give the Runelord armor runes and weapon runes? If so how does that effect the unit?

Paraelix
25-07-2010, 22:43
You always go off best armour/ward saves I believe... It details the Anvil in the FAQ for Dwarves.