PDA

View Full Version : Power Dice Limit

BigBossOgryn
25-07-2010, 10:17
I looked through and couldn't find anything recent on this. I thought I had a firm understanding of power dice generation but in light of the General FAQ, I'm not so sure anymore.

The BRB says that you can never have more than 12 power dice at any point in the phase. So you roll your 2D6 and add any dice from channelling, items etc and can't have more than 12. Easy.

Q: Can I use more than 12 power or dispel dice in a phase even
though the pool is limited to 12? (p30)
A: Yes. While the pool can never contain more than 12 power
or dispel dice at any one time, some abilities can generate
more dice part way through a Magic phase.

This is where the confusion came from. How can you end up using more than 12 dice when the pool limit is 12? Is this an army specific thing or what? Examples would be really good to iterate the explanation.

Thanks.

Tae
25-07-2010, 10:22
Lore of Death potentially generates bonus dice for each wound caused, so this can replenish the pool once some dice have been used to cast the spell that caused the wounds.

Dark Elves Power of Darkness spell can generate dice.

Slaan's Focused Rumination allows him to use a bonus free dice whenever he casts a spell.

HE Fire Mages must use a bonus dice whenever they cast.

etc.etc.

Atrahasis
25-07-2010, 10:23
The most obvious example would be the Lore of Death attribute, which can generate more dice during the phase.

Player rolls 12 for the pool - any dice that he channels will be lost, because the pool is capped at 12.
He then casts a spell from the lore of death with 3 dice. As soon as he rolls the dice, there are only 9 dice in the pool. The spell causes untold damage, and as a result produces 4 new dice. 3 go into the pool, taking it back up to 12, and 1 is lost because the pool is capped at 12.

BigBossOgryn
25-07-2010, 10:40
Thanks for the replies.

The thing that threw me was casting with more than 12 dice but Tae's examples with the Slann and High Elves has cleared that up, thanks again.