PDA

View Full Version : Vampire character builds

Gloryseeker
25-07-2010, 13:11
Ok with 8th we have to rework how we play our undead. Ive seen a number of build for vampires and vampire lords. But what should be vamp be built for now combat, magic or support?

I like the purple sun vamp
forbidden lore (death magic)
Power Scroll
Hellsteed 175 points
(sorry cant remember who came up with this)

post your builds and discuss

Gloryseeker

SideshowLucifer
25-07-2010, 13:56
I use my Vamps to support my army. It's too hard for a single combat character to pull wins for a unit and save the day. I'd rather all my characters make my units better so they can actualy help me win.
That said, controlling the magic phase is key to victory for us, so they should deffinatly be casters as well.

LaurentleBete
25-07-2010, 15:15
Ok with 8th we have to rework how we play our undead. Ive seen a number of build for vampires and vampire lords. But what should be vamp be built for now combat, magic or support?

I like the purple sun vamp
forbidden lore (death magic)
Power Scroll
Hellsteed 175 points
(sorry cant remember who came up with this)

post your builds and discuss

Gloryseeker

While that is a horrifying build, using it will most likely get you punched. It's the closest thing to an Iwin button in the game imo, and spells instant doom for certain armies.

A Vampire Lord I wouldn't mind trying out is Dread Knight, Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, The Heavy Armour which gives a 4+ Ward, the Dawnstone. 2+ rerollable armour save and a 4+ ward, and still pretty killy to boot. Throw on Magic Level 3 and you've got a relatively decent caster too!

I still think we can't go wrong with Motba, Dark Acolyte, talisman of 4+ ward, flayed hauberk and Helm of Commandment. Basic supreme caster lord. Stick him behind a GG Horde with Great Weapons and the Banner of the Barrows and you've got a solid battleline right there.

That unit got hit by a horde of 50 savage orcs, with warboss with the Battleaxe of the last Waagh. I lost 6 GG, then fought back and killed 16 orcs. They broke, fled and I caught them. Easiest win I've ever had.

Orangecoke
25-07-2010, 15:25
I've been building my army so far with a combat lord in mind (I have yet to play with this, I'm a newbie and still painting the army but it's going fast). I kept reading (or at least I thought I did) that our vamps should be combat-oriented in 8th. Not sure why :)

Here's what I was planning (I will be using the Mannfred mounted model, it's hot).

Vampire Lord
Level 3
Nightmare
Armor of Destiny
Forbidden Lore
Battles Sounding

Actually now that I look at it, this guy was moving more towards being a caster I guess :)

I'm now leaning towards a caster oriented one like you listed Laurent. My army is 2 units of (non-Horde) 30 ghouls, and 20 GG (1500 points for now).

EDIT - oops....I just started tweaking and can't afford that lord (Laurent's) in 1500 points :)

Ridarsin
25-07-2010, 16:55
Well my friends and I came up with this set up yesterday.

Vampire
Forbidden Lore (Light)
Dispel Scroll

Vampire
Forbidden Lore (Light)

Vampire
Forbidden Lore (Light)

Then just cast the level 5 spell, which is 2d6 str4+amount of wizards that know light spells (str7). It casts on a 10 which you can 3-4 dice cast it with each wizard. You can easily take a combat monster Vampire Lord and Wight King BSB with this set up and mop. Plus the spell goes up to 3d6 against undead and daemons.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
25-07-2010, 17:08
I prefer combat Vamps, with a caster twist, this is what I run at 2000pts:

Vampire Lord with Hellsteed, Extra Magic Level, Infinite Hatred, Red Fury, Avatar of Death, Sword of Quarrel, Dragon Helm, Crown of the Damned and the Other Rouge Shard: 480 points

Vampire with Hellsteed, Master of the Black Arts, Balefire Spike, Flayed Hauberk, Opal Amulet and Battle Standard: 245 points

Vampire with Hellsteed, Forbidden Lore (Beasts), Summon Creatures of the Night, Sword of Battle, Charmed Shield and The Gem of Blood: 205 points

Lord has 2+armour and 4+ward, rerollable stupidity thanks to the BSB, and I use the Beasts spell which gives him +3S and +3A, thus he ends up with 9 WS7 rerollable hit S8 attacks with an extra attack for each wound he causes. He can go through infantry blocks quite happily on his own, while anything bigger than that just gets destroyed due to their small number. An extra 2 PD helps me get the spell off as well.

Nixon

Ovassilias
25-07-2010, 17:32
support Lord for me.

Master, Acolyte, Ghouls, Hauberg, Helm, Crown and extra lvl...Thus 4.

Im running a combat foot vamp hero with hatred, Avatar, the +2A sword and +1sv helm (and 2+ward vs flame).

He has 3+sv (and 2+ward vs flaming), 5str5 with re-rolls. Nice support vamp for my skellies and ghouls to bring some kills in.

My biggest problem is our core not the char builds lol.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
25-07-2010, 18:15
My biggest problem is our core not the char builds lol.

Yes I'd definitely say that. I crushed a VC army with my WoC last night, due to my opponent focusing on core, thus me just being able to elite him to death (as he simply didn't have enough to swamp me properly, as the core is just too expensive).

Nixon

Aluinn
25-07-2010, 18:57
I'd like to try a full-on combat vampire sometime, but I find that it can be pretty hard in 8th to stand a chance in the magic phase without a level 4 caster. So at 2,000 I use:

Vampire Lord
- Extra magic level
- Master of the Black Arts
- Dark Acolyte
- Sword of Swift Slaying
- The Flayed Hauberk
- Talisman of Preservation
- Ironcurse Icon

Leads a large-ish unit of Skeleton Warriors. In the magic phase, he is backed up by 2-3 Necros hiding just behind the Skeleton blocks, which carry useful Arcane items like Black Periapt, Channeling Staff, etc. and do most of the Invocation casting while the Lord tends to go for more powerful spells. For combat Heroes I usually prefer Wight Kings, as a Wight King plus a Necro will often run cheaper than a single Hero vampire and be a lot tougher collectively (though, granted, the vampire will probably kill a bit more than a wight).

Forbidden Lore is interesting but I still think Lore of the Vampires is really good. Gaze, Curse of Years, and of course Summon Undead Horde are all powerful and undercosted for what they do, and the Level 4 Lord will often be able to get off 2 of those per turn. Wind of Undeath can also be strong depending on your opponent's army comp, and Vanhel's and Raise Dead are of course useful if not mind-blowing.

Texhnolyze
25-07-2010, 20:46
Well my friends and I came up with this set up yesterday.

Vampire
Forbidden Lore (Light)
Dispel Scroll

Vampire
Forbidden Lore (Light)

Vampire
Forbidden Lore (Light)

Then just cast the level 5 spell, which is 2d6 str4+amount of wizards that know light spells (str7). It casts on a 10 which you can 3-4 dice cast it with each wizard. You can easily take a combat monster Vampire Lord and Wight King BSB with this set up and mop. Plus the spell goes up to 3d6 against undead and daemons.

That would be STR 6 :D you don't count the casting wizard^^

SideshowLucifer
25-07-2010, 20:56
I'm not sold on lore of light for us. I like beats and then either metal, or fire depending on what I expect to face. I'm going more for spells that remain for a turn rather then remains in play spells, and spells that buff my army or debuff my opponents'.

Mandragola
26-07-2010, 00:06
Lore of light is actually very powerful in general, and has a lot of specific bonusses for undead. The buffing spells can make even skellies into reasonable fighters, with +1a and asf. Even purple sun becomes less worrying if your whole army (or all within 12" of general) is I10.

Hadn't considered banishment spam. The downside I see is that a level 1 wizard needs to roll 3 dice to have a decent (and by no means certain) chance of casting a power level 10 spell. So you need 9 power dice, and one of your guys will probably fail to cast. If you are up against somebody with a level 4 to dispel, it's fairly likely that one or none of them will get through. That isn't really a good return on the points you are spending, and all your power dice.

Yrrdead
26-07-2010, 00:08
Right now I'm using two Vampires. The effective level 5 casting lord is pretty amazing. Though I'm still kind of torn. I'm almost thinking that dropping Aco and Avatar and picking up Forbidden Lore to ensure that I have Summon Undead Horde and Vanhel's is worth it.

Lord
Extra Level
DAco
MotBA
Crown of the Damned
Skull Staff

Vampire
Forbidden Lore
Talisman of Lycni
Wristbands of Black Gold

SideshowLucifer
26-07-2010, 03:43
The extra attack at str 3 and extra initiative when we have corpse carts doesn't seem to make me excited. I'd rather give my units scaly skin, or lower an enemy's T by 3, or get +1 to wound, etc.