PDA

View Full Version : Waaagh Spell for Orcs

Kneedles
25-07-2010, 18:47
Waaagh! (spell #6 on the lore of the big Waaagh! for OnG) says

"each unbroken friendly unit immediately moves 2d6" towards the nearest enemy unit - if it can see no enemy unit it moves 2d6" directly forwards - war machine crews will abandon their machines. If this move takes it into contact with an enemy, it is counted as a charge - the moving unit need not take any psychology tests that would normally be incurred for such a charge. An enemy unit charged in this way may only hold or flee as a charge reaction.

In addition all friendly units strike first in the next phase of close combat and can re-roll any misses that phase."

Does the OnG player roll 2d6 once for all of his units or roll individually for each unit he has?

Ultimate Life Form
25-07-2010, 18:54
The general consensus is that when mass effects occur they're rolled individually. New BRB again does nothing to adress the issue either I'm afraid.

Paraelix
25-07-2010, 20:29
I think the more interesting point is that Warmachine crews no longer abandon their machine... For any reason... >_>

Yrrdead
26-07-2010, 00:14
Yes would this be another case where Army Book trumps Rule Book??

solkan
26-07-2010, 00:53
In order for the army book to trump the rulebook, the phrase "abandon their warmachine" would have to do something. Strangely, neither the main rulebook or the army book describes what that is.

Does the warmachine now feel sad because it's crew has "abandoned" it?

Kneedles
26-07-2010, 02:06
The only war machine my friend still had left when this happened was a single bolt thrower, which we just moved 12" toward my thunderers.

Go go gadget miners btw.

Jingizu
26-07-2010, 08:09
If the player first roll 6 on the anomosity test and then march and then the spell goes off, the army moves an awfull long way on one turn.

slasher
26-07-2010, 08:23
War machine crews can no longer abandon the WM because they are no longer separate entities. All war machine crew models are just wound markers for the actual machine......

So unless you allow cavalry to abandon their horses / beasts mid battle and fight as infantry O'n'G War machines now ignore this spell

TMATK
26-07-2010, 19:16
War machine crews can no longer abandon the WM because they are no longer separate entities. All war machine crew models are just wound markers for the actual machine......

So unless you allow cavalry to abandon their horses / beasts mid battle and fight as infantry O'n'G War machines now ignore this spell

Hm, as much as I would like the crew to ignore the spell, it doesn't feel right.

I plan on having the machine itself surge, taking the crew with it, and preventing it from shooting this turn. It's obvious that the Waaagh spell was supposed to have a downside when it came to warmachines, and that keeps with the theme.

Kneedles
27-07-2010, 19:12
I plan on having the machine itself surge, taking the crew with it, and preventing it from shooting this turn. It's obvious that the Waaagh spell was supposed to have a downside when it came to warmachines, and that keeps with the theme.

Thats what we did.

Nighthawke
27-07-2010, 19:37
on a side note to do with that spell, since it says you strike first and sont give you the always strikes first spell like the lower casting version. does this mean that if you have a great weapon you still get to strike first?
only asking incase i come across elves or something so i can shove their noses in it xD

T10
27-07-2010, 20:43
I think it is safe to assume that the game now works fine with one common "level" of always striking first. Simply treat the unit as benefiting from the Always Strike First rule and you're in no way getting cheated.

-T10

Pumpavius
13-10-2010, 23:34
Sorry to do some threadmancy but I have a question about this spell.

What type of roll can I re-roll with this spell?

English is not my native language and well, armybooks almost always have terrible translations to spanish, so It's not clear.

A friend says I can only re-roll failed rolls TO HIT.

The problem is that in spanish we use the same word for "failed actions", we use "FALLAR/FALLIDA" => "FAIL/FAILED"

It seems in english you use "miss" when you're talking about hit and "failed" when you talk about any other kind of roll. Am I right?

ShaggothLord
13-10-2010, 23:39
Misses refers to hits, so you reroll failed rolls to hit that phase. :)

Chris_
13-10-2010, 23:40
You're friend is correct, you strike first and get the re-rolls to failed to-hit rolls.

Lord_Elric
14-10-2010, 00:03
Out of interest this causes a funny RAW situation if for example the orcs Initiative happens to be higher than its opponents by strict RAW (very strict) by benefiting from the always strikes first rule and getting to reroll missed to hit rolls,

does that mean you have to roll your to hit rolls then reroll ALL of them (for the sake of RAW)

ASF forcing you to reroll failed misses ??? LMAO

decker_cky
14-10-2010, 00:07
ASF was errata'd.

Also....by strict RAW, orcs with waaagh don't have ASF. They have SF.

Lord_Elric
14-10-2010, 00:32
:rolleyes:

Chris_
14-10-2010, 00:33
I don't see any errata for that spell except the "don't affect WM" part. They do not gain ASF, they just strike first and get re-rolls, has nothing to do with the special rule ASF.

I do see a potential clash if you have to decide who goes first, Waaagh Orcs or others with ASF.

Lord_Elric
14-10-2010, 00:36
Out of interest this causes a funny RAW situation if for example the orcs Initiative happens to be higher than its opponents by strict RAW (very strict) by benefiting from the always strikes first rule and getting to reroll missed to hit rolls,

does that mean you have to roll your to hit rolls then reroll ALL of them (for the sake of RAW)

ASF forcing you to reroll failed misses ??? LMAO

You guys realise I wasnt being serious right????

Pumpavius
14-10-2010, 01:36
Thank you for the answers :D