PDA

View Full Version : Irresistible force question.

MadCowCrazy
25-07-2010, 19:56
Im thinking about getting into Fantasy but am waiting for the starter set in september. I have been watching the beasts of war fantasy weekend deal and when they explained the magic phase a question arose in my head.

Its about the irresistible force. On two 6s you get it and the spell cant be dispelled, there was some item you can use to make and doubles cause it as well.

My question is does IF make the spell go off even if you dont go over the spell power level?
They were talking about some spell that turns you into a dragon, on 20 you became some normal dragon and on 24 some uber dragon.
If I rolled 2D6 and got two 6s making the spell irresistible would it still go off?
They way they explained it made me believe it did but since the disabled comments on the youtube video I couldnt ask this there.

So does IF make a spell go off even if you dont reach the spell power level?

Yrrdead
25-07-2010, 20:00
Yes.

Just for the sake of completeness be aware that if you fail to meet the casting cost of a spell you may not cast any further spells with that caster. (In the case of Transformation that point is kind of moot :P)

solkan
25-07-2010, 20:03
See pages 33 and 34 of the main rulebook.

MadCowCrazy
25-07-2010, 20:41
See pages 33 and 34 of the main rulebook.

I have not bought the rulebook, like I said Im waiting for the starter set in september before I buy any WFB stuff.

Anyways, thank you for the answer, this has been gnawing at my mind for weeks.

pootleberry
25-07-2010, 20:44
If you roll the two 6's then you do not need to reach the casting target; if you roll a double, with the appropriate item (or Teclis), then you do need to reach the casting value.

Mr_Rose
27-07-2010, 10:03
If you roll the two 6's then you do not need to reach the casting target; if you roll a double, with the appropriate item (or Teclis), then you do need to reach the casting value.
How do you figure?
The first four paragraphs of the Irresistible Force rules on p.33 define how a normal Irresistible Force roll occurs in terms of dice rolled, but don't say anything about what that means until the seventh paragraph, where it says:

A spell cast with Irresistible Force automatically succeeds, even if the casting total is not enough to reach the spell's casting value [...] - go straight to Step 4, Spell Resolution.
It says nothing about treating a natural IF any differently from a "forced" one anywhere except in Teclis' own rules, and those of the Book of Hoeth. Which, naturally, only apply to them.