PDA

View Full Version : Army list - duplicate choices (p.135)

Fafa
25-07-2010, 22:46
In my club we stumbled upon a problem - rule on page 135 says: "..there is a limit on how many duplicates of each troop type you can include in your army..." (first paragraph below bold text; emphasis mine). So far we blindly accepted this as "units with the same name" (eg. great cannon, bestigors, questing knights, etc). But some one pointed out that term "troop type" is used in BRB in regard to warmachines, monstrous infantry, cavalry, chariots etc (generaly page 80). Does it mean that for example Empire player cannot include more than 3 warmachines in army (6 in grand army)? To put it another way: is 2.500 points Empire's army list legal, if it includes 3 great cannons and 2 mortars?

solkan
25-07-2010, 23:06
That reading is contradicted by the example in the next paragraph.

Edit: Just to follow up, that reading is actually contradicted in various places by the rest of page 135. In particular, the last paragraph in the first column, the Grand Army section, the "Two Units For One Choice" subsection, and the Army Selection Summary Table.

"troop type" on that page is referring to the troop types in each army book, not the troop type categories on page 80.

Flitzz
25-07-2010, 23:11
Rule book pg 135 same section: "Remember, this limit applies only to duplicate
Special or Rare unit choices of the same type ,
not to the total number of Special and Rare units overall."

I think they just used the word troop to describe one kind of troop (like
bestigors, questing knights, etc). So its just a unlucky choice the writer did.:)

Fafa
25-07-2010, 23:25
Well, the most confusing thing is that they seem to differentiate "troop type" and "unit"... (this last sentence of first paragraph: "limit applies to duplicate Special or Rare unit choices of the same type, not total number of Special and Rare units overall")

But I do agree that example in second paragraph seems a bit odd - couple of mortars (suggesting a number of 2+ warmachines) and 2 great cannons (2 warmachines) giving a total of 4+ warmachines...

Paraelix
25-07-2010, 23:37
A case of reading too much into the individual meanings of words.

Yrrdead
25-07-2010, 23:41
A case of reading too much into the individual meanings of words.

Oh c'mon Paraelix that is exactly what we do in this sub-forum. On a plus note now I have something to use to mess with my buddy who plays empire....it should be pretty funny for at least 10 or 15 mins.

Paraelix
25-07-2010, 23:49
... *sigh*

RichBlake
26-07-2010, 00:18
Oh c'mon Paraelix that is exactly what we do in this sub-forum. On a plus note now I have something to use to mess with my buddy who plays empire....it should be pretty funny for at least 10 or 15 mins.

No the point of this sub-forum is to answer rules queries and, arguably, find interesting loop holes in the rules that are pretty solid.

This one really isn't solid as all the material released by Games Workshop in both White Dwarf and to their staff members clearly shows it's each individual unit by name, thus eliminating the grey area entirely.

Finding those genuine grey areas, debating the way it should be played and using them to your advantage is good practice for competitive gaming. This isn't one of those examples however.

Yrrdead
26-07-2010, 00:36
Hmm what we do in this forum and the point of this forum are often at odds methinks.

On topic I agree 100%.

Also I was just being flippant which is sometimes hard to get across on the interwebs.