PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Magic Resistance

Sloppyjayman
26-07-2010, 11:57
Here is my quick question about magic resistance...

I put the MR1 shield on my general.

I put the MR1 necklace on my BSB.

I put them both in the same unit. Does the unit get MR2 or MR1?

Thanks guys.

Haravikk
26-07-2010, 12:05
You only ever use the best available Magic Resistance so MR(1).

The only stackable type I know of comes from Dwarf runes, as you can put several runes of warding on a character or several runes of sanctuary on a standard, to create a boosted effect, though I believe those only stack with themselves (so to get MR(2) you need two runes of warding, or two runes of sanctuary, as one of sanctuary and one of warding would be MR(1)).

Atrahasis
26-07-2010, 13:36
Ogre Kingdoms Gnoblar thiefstones and Dark Elf Null Talismans also stack on the same model.

T10
26-07-2010, 16:37
Those Dwarf runes don't actually stack: they each provide MR 1. :)

Of course, most players assume they do stack, and I'm not seriously going to insist they don't. :)

-T10

Thundergod
26-07-2010, 17:14
iirc, they DO stack, explicitly stated.
**edit** that is to say the dwarf runes stack, NOT normal MR, which is explicitly stated to NOT stack.

Haravikk
26-07-2010, 17:18
Those Dwarf runes don't actually stack: they each provide MR 1. :)

Of course, most players assume they do stack, and I'm not seriously going to insist they don't. :)
The rune rules do point out that runes are cumulative unless stated otherwise, and accordingly runes that aren't cumulative are either master runes or specifically state "Multiples of this rune have no further effect". I've always assumed that a rune of warding and a rune of sanctuary won't stack as they're two separate effects from two different types of rune, but the army book pretty much encourages you to slap more runes of warding on which would make no sense at all if they didn't do anything after the first.

T10
27-07-2010, 13:01
iirc, they DO stack, explicitly stated.
**edit** that is to say the dwarf runes stack, NOT normal MR, which is explicitly stated to NOT stack.

Sorry but yric: the runes do not come with instructions on how they stack. They each provide MR 1.

-T10

T10
27-07-2010, 13:10
The rune rules do point out that runes are cumulative unless stated otherwise, and accordingly runes that aren't cumulative are either master runes or specifically state "Multiples of this rune have no further effect". I've always assumed that a rune of warding and a rune of sanctuary won't stack as they're two separate effects from two different types of rune, but the army book pretty much encourages you to slap more runes of warding on which would make no sense at all if they didn't do anything after the first.

Stacking multiple runes of the same kind isn't as awesomely versatile as one might expect:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4393573&postcount=13

-T10

Haravikk
27-07-2010, 14:17
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4393573&postcount=13
While an excellent summary, I should point out that the Rune of Warding states:

Each rune confers a cumulative Magic Resistance (1) on the character and the unit he is with", which seems to overrule the ordinary restriction as it's a Magic Resistance, but a cumulative Magic Resistance.

You'd certainly have more footing in arguing against stackable Runes of Sanctuary though as it has no such stipulation, but then under 6th edition there is no restriction on Magic Resistance that I'm aware of, except that you can't have more than 3, which I would think is what the intention of the rune was.

T10
27-07-2010, 15:18
That is indeed correct. Surprisingly the two MR runes are phrased differently within the same book.

-T10

Haravikk
27-07-2010, 15:30
But I think it means we've now thoroughly answered the original question when it comes to stackable MR for Dwarfs :D

T10
27-07-2010, 20:49
For one of the two runes at least. :)

-T10

Paraelix
27-07-2010, 21:00
For one of the two runes at least. :)

-T10

Agreed. The one posted with "cumulative" I take as meaning with itself. ie take 3 of that rune and you get MR3... Not cumulative with anything else...