PDA

View Full Version : 3k Beastmen - Core Heavy List

HalfEvil333
27-07-2010, 03:07
So I've decided to kick off the start of 8th edition and a return to the game after a break through most of 7th with starting a Beastmen army. Very core heavy, very troop blocks heavy.

Lords:

Doombull w/ Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying, Armor of Destiny, Uncanny Sense, and Gouge-horns

lvl 4 Great Bray-shaman (Lore of Beasts) w/ Shrieking Blade, Opal Amulet, and Channeling Staff

Heroes:

Wargor Battle Standard Bearer w/ Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might, and Gnarled Hide

lvl 2 Bray-shaman (Lore of Shadow) w/ Additional Hand Weapon and Dispel Scroll

Core:

25 Gors w/ Additional Hand Weapons and Full Command

30 Ungors w/ Spears and Full Command

15 Warhounds

15 Warhounds

10 Ungor Raiders

10 Ungor Raiders

Special:

6 Scouting Harpies

6 Scouting Harpies

Rare:

Ghorgon

Jabberslythe

Total: 3000 pts.
Lords: 20.53%
Heroes: 10.03%
Core: 45.5%
Special: 5.6%
Rare: 18.33%

I may switch the Warhounds for more Raiders, but I like the idea of having some fast units that can break ranks. The monsters are interchangeable for their points costs, so I'll play around with the idea of different Rare combinations.

EDIT: May also switch the lvl 2 to Beasts, to get another Wildform to cast.

meowser
27-07-2010, 04:41
Looks solid overall, I'd recommend toying with the following changes:

Swap out magic level upgrade on Bray Shaman, 1 unit of Hounds, 1 unit of Gor, and 1 Gribbly for 20 Bestigor FC, 5 Minotaurs (Shields or AHW, FC, Golden Seal Sword on Bloodkine (I10))

Mino unit might be a safer place to put the Doombull (General?) than the Ungor against opponents with lots of shooting, templates or magic missiles, since he can singled out from the Ungor, and won't get a Look Out Sir! roll from them.

thesheriff
27-07-2010, 10:10
he will get a look out sir, but only a 4+. But i would still stick him in a minotaur unit. Minotaurs in units of 3x2 are amazing. And in 3k, you could easily fit 2+ pf those units no problem. And, being infantry, they still fit the core heavy feel of the army, but addd some high strength, elite punch.

thesheriff

HalfEvil333
27-07-2010, 10:40
Played with the points to add a unit of Minotaurs.

Lords:

Doombull w/ Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying, Armor of Destiny, Uncanny Sense, and Gouge-horns

lvl 3 Great Bray-shaman (Lore of Beasts) w/ Shrieking Blade and Staff of Darkoth

Heroes:

Wargor Battle Standard Bearer w/ Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might, and Gnarled Hide

lvl 2 Bray-shaman (Lore of Shadow) w/ Additional Hand Weapon and Dispel Scroll

Core:

15 Warhounds

10 Ungor Raiders

10 Ungor Raiders

Special:

5 Minotaur w/ Shields, Standard Bearer, and Musician

6 Scouting Harpies

6 Scouting Harpies

Rare:

Ghorgon

Jabberslythe

Total: 2995 pts.
Lords: 20.03%
Heroes: 10.03%
Core: 35%
Special: 16.43%
Rare: 18.33%

Not really sold on Bestigors, little pricey for what they do. Gave the Great Bray-shaman the Staff of Darkoth to make up for the lost spell.

I like Minotaurs, but they do seem a little glass-canon this edition. Although, having been an Ogre and Skink Swarm player through 6th and the beginning of 7th, I should be used to it :p.

meowser
27-07-2010, 17:10
I like the look of the new list!
Although I thought the 4+ LOS roll from different troop types was wishlisting -- maybe you are thinking of the 4+ you get when within 3" of a unit with a full rank of the same troop type but not in it?

The Cowslayer
27-07-2010, 18:44
maybe switch doombull + wargor bsb, to beastlord + gorebull bsb.
the generals ld of 9 is very usefull for beastmen (especially combined with bsb reroll and steadfast) and a gorebull is a lot tougher then a wargor (with the right gear)

i can agree the mino-units with character hit insanely hard but cant take a lot of pain. get them in a flank somewhere and stack up those attacks ;) i used a unit of 7 + gorebull and a unit of 8 last game and they rocked.

also i think the lvl 2 should have lore of beasts (you want that lore mainly for the basic spell, all the others are just bonus) and the lvl 3/4 should be better with shadow (lore of shadow is insane! having very good buffs, debuffs and nasty damage spells)

i would drop the raiders to units of 5 (expendable), and the warhounds as well. a flanking unit with s3/t3 no armour isnt going to do much anyway, but they are very usefull as speedbumbs to restrict your opponents movement.

looks like a nice list overall,

GL