PDA

View Full Version : Ward saves against miscast hits

ewar
27-07-2010, 11:51
Afternoon all,

My regular gaming friend and I are having a game this weekend, and this query came up in pre-match discussion:

What constitutes a "ranged attack"?

The reason is, Divine Plaque of Protection on a Slann boosts the save from 4+ to 2+ vs ranged attacks.

Now to me, a S10 hit from a miscast is not a close combat attack, ergo it must be ranged.

Thoughts?

Haravikk
27-07-2010, 11:53
The damage of a Miscast seems to originate with the caster though as he builds up magic within himself or his staff or other item, ready to release it as a spell of some kind, so I don't think it'd be something you can treat as ranged.

Besides which ranged things are generally identifiable by the fact that they have a range :)

T10
27-07-2010, 13:17
My thought is to agree with Haravikk since he has successfully applied the business end of his hammer onto the appropriate part of this nail.

-T10

ewar
27-07-2010, 14:49
Fair enough, I'll go with the consensus!

chivalrous
27-07-2010, 15:03
Afternoon all,

My regular gaming friend and I are having a game this weekend, and this query came up in pre-match discussion:

What constitutes a "ranged attack"?

The reason is, Divine Plaque of Protection on a Slann boosts the save from 4+ to 2+ vs ranged attacks.

Now to me, a S10 hit from a miscast is not a close combat attack, ergo it must be ranged.

Thoughts?

I'm not convinced it's even an 'attack' which requires a conscious decision to cause harm.
It's more like fixing the toaster before unplugging it and getting an electric shock.

Dorack
28-07-2010, 21:53
No intention of highjacking the thread, but I have a very similar question. Can hits from miscasts be saved by Look out sir! Can a character other than the miscasting wizard, or a unit champion, get LOS! against mistcast hits?

Thanks!

Paraelix
28-07-2010, 22:25
There are plenty of non-generic hits sustained by models that are not melee, ranged, or magical. For example, Skaven on a super high from Skavenbrew take D6 wounds at the end of a phase... Doesn't stipulate one way or the other. So I would say no, it is not ranged. Normal ward and that's it.

I would suggest no to Look Out Sir. I have no idea if there is a rule about it in the magic section, but a Look Out Sir is a friendly trooper diving in the way of an enemy attack... A miscast comes out of nowhere and usually bursts out of the friendly wizard. It is pretty hard to dive in the way to stop the wizard exploding.

Maoriboy007
28-07-2010, 22:56
1. A miscast probably counts as a ranged attack if you are not in B2B with the wizard or unit he is in (i.e if the 3" template hits you because you are cloe enough).
As far a LOS goes, its a template so the rules would still apply I assume, except the wizard is autamatically hit