PDA

View Full Version : WoC 2500pts The Icelords of the Great Glaciers

Dreadgrass
27-07-2010, 12:12
Hi all,

Just updating my Ice-themed WoC list for 8th and wanting some feedback...

EDIT: UPDATED LIST AT POST #11!!!

LORDS - 385pts

Sorcerer Lord (Shadow) - Lvl.4, Spell Familiar, Charmed Shield, Sword of Strife, Talisman of Endurance, Potion of Foolhardiness, Stream of Corruption
De-buffs galore plus a competent combat character, 5 strength 4 attacks (plus one when charging and quaffing the potion) plus 2D6 strength 3 hits from the stream should make a dent in whatever he faces. Will bunker with the BSB in the defensive warrior block) Also tots a 3+ save, a 5+ ward and ignores the 1st hit on a 2+.

HEROES - 370pts

Exalted - BSB, Shield, Mark of Tzeentch, Book of Secrets (Shadow), Opal Amulet
Multi Purpose BSB, uses the shadow signature spell (with +1 from Tzeentch), has a 3+ save, a 3+ ward against the 1st wound suffered, and a 5+ ward (parry + MoT) in CC

Sorcerer (Fire) - Lvl.2, Infernal Puppet, Enchanted Shield
My support caster, mainly there for the Puppet and to throw Fireballs at regenerating targets, Flaming sword could be handy as well.
CORE - 971pts

22 x Chaos Warriors - shields, full command, Blasted Standard, Mark of Tzeentch.
Primary Anvil. tough, hard to shoot up, and decent damage output. The Sorcerer Lord and BSB bunker here and spread their bubbles to my 4 primary units.

21 x Chaos Warriors - Halberds, Standard, Musician, Banner of Rage, Mark of Tzeentch
A Tougher unit of Khorne warriors, I figure if the 6+ ward saves 1 guy its earned its points. Anything after that is just bonus! lol

5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds
Screens and redirectors to help me pick my targets and maybe pick off a warmachine or 2

SPECIAL - 360pts

4 x Trolls
4 x Trolls
Experimental hammer units, will form up 2x2 on the warrior units flanksfor support charging. Lots of Strength 5 attacks, plus quite survivable with re-rolls for stupidity and within the generals LD8 bubble I'm hoping for food things!

RARE - 410pts

Hellcannon
Hellcannon
I was using and loving Hellcannons before they wer cool now with 8th I'm bringing them back for some more fun!

So, the armies compact but tough and hits like a freight train. Magic is primarily de-buffs and a few offensive moves to thin out hordes/ artillery, Hellcannon shots do more of the same and the rest of the army chews through whatevers thrown at it! Suprisingly 8th seems to boost people who like Infantry heavy lists such as myself, so I'm liking this so far and it fits the feel of my theme (essentially wanted no cav and fairly warrior heavy, with Ice-Trolls)... what are peoples thoughts?

Dreadgrass
28-07-2010, 08:43
So, a few slight changes,

Adjusted the Sorcerer Lord to:

Lvl.4, Infernal Puppet, Charmed Shield, Shrieking Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Favour of the Gods, Stream of Corruption

This allows me to drop the Lvl.2, and trim the 21 warriors down to 18 in order to add a unit of 30 Marauders with Shield, Light Armour, Mark of Tzeentch, standard and musician.

Thoughts on the changes?

Eta
28-07-2010, 13:28
Looks solid.

Greetings
Eta

acsmedic
28-07-2010, 13:42
I like this list very similar to mine. I cannot wait to try out the trolls spread wide to provide cover for the warriors and potentially stop cannon balls as well.

Good luck with it.

Drek
28-07-2010, 14:15
So, a few slight changes,

Adjusted the Sorcerer Lord to:

Lvl.4, Infernal Puppet, Charmed Shield, Shrieking Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Favour of the Gods, Stream of Corruption

This allows me to drop the Lvl.2, and trim the 21 warriors down to 18 in order to add a unit of 30 Marauders with Shield, Light Armour, Mark of Tzeentch, standard and musician.

Thoughts on the changes?

I like my Marauders with MoK and GW personally. Makes the unit alot more killy. They just aren't that effective imo with HW/S.

theSkullduggery1
28-07-2010, 15:13
I agree with dropping the lvl 2 and adding Marauders, I haven't tried them with MoT and shield because I have loved how they do when in a horde with GW.

thesheriff
28-07-2010, 17:26
I like the idea of the marauder unit, 5+ parry makes a capable tarpit. I also think the new sorcere combo is good, puppet is a must

thesheriff

Dreadgrass
29-07-2010, 08:43
Thanks for the feedback all!

@Khorne Marauders - I had the same thoughts, but I have a unit of Frenzied Warriors and 2 units of trolls, so I thought a nice sized steadfast unit might fare me better...

Rosstifer
29-07-2010, 09:19
Yeah keep the tzeentch marauders, I fail to see whats so great about Khorne GW marauders t3 no save... seems way too easy too kill. Damage output is ok I guess. Have been mediocre when I tried to use them a few times. Run Khorne myself so I can testament to how awesome frenzied Chaos Warriors with Halberds are.

Dreadgrass
29-07-2010, 10:55
Not to mention the ones who don't loose their frenzy and have a 6+ ward eh? lol Loved the unit the moment I thought it up, so I've got to see how it pans out!

So, the updated list...

LORDS - 385pts

Sorcerer Lord (Shadow) - Lvl.4, Infernal Puppet, Charmed Shield, Shrieking Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Potion of Foolhardiness, Stream of Corruption
So, the puppet has shifted here, and his combat abilities are decreased a bit in exchange for greater protection.

HEROES - 200pts

Exalted - BSB, Shield, Mark of Tzeentch, Book of Secrets (Shadow), Opal Amulet
Multi Purpose BSB, uses the shadow signature spell (with +1 from Tzeentch), has a 3+ save, a 3+ ward against the 1st wound suffered, and a 5+ ward (parry + MoT) in CC

CORE - 1143pts

19 x Chaos Warriors - shields, full command, Blasted Standard, Mark of Tzeentch.
Primary Anvil. tough, hard to shoot up, and decent damage output. The Sorcerer BSB bunkers here and spreads his bubble to my 4 primary units.

21 x Chaos Warriors - Halberds, Standard, Musician, Banner of Rage, Mark of Tzeentch
A Tougher unit of Khorne warriors, I figure if the 6+ ward saves 1 guy its earned its points. Anything after that is just bonus! lol

30 x Marauders - Shields, Light armour, Musician, Standard, Champion, Mark of Tzeentch
Added unit, acts as a steadfast roadblock, and a bodyguard for the Sorcerer Lord to avoid the heaviest meleee where the warrior blocks are headed!

5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds
Screens and redirectors to help me pick my targets and maybe pick off a warmachine or 2

SPECIAL - 360pts

4 x Trolls
4 x Trolls
Experimental hammer units, will form up 2x2 on the warrior units flanksfor support charging. Lots of Strength 5 attacks, plus quite survivable with re-rolls for stupidity and within the generals LD8 bubble I'm hoping for food things!

RARE - 410pts

Hellcannon
Hellcannon
I was using and loving Hellcannons before they wer cool now with 8th I'm bringing them back for some more fun!

So, thoughts on the updated list?

Dreadgrass
31-07-2010, 05:04
So, had a game against Daemons today, and got mauled by bloodletters in horde formation, the hounds didn't seem to do a whole lot thanks to the free-reforms. So, with a little more experience now I've re-vamped my list:

LORDS - 380pts

Sorcerer Lord - Lvl.4, Blood of Tzeentch, Armour of Destiny, Necrotic Phylacerty, Stream of Corruption
Removed the puppet and replaced it with Blood of Tzeentch, should be more generally-useful. Also swapped his protective kit around, he has less of a save, but the Phylacerty should help against sniping and the like. Thinking of switching him to Fire magic to help thin down the enemy lines on the approach.

HEROES - 190pts

Exalted Hero - Shield, BSB, Mark of Tzeentch, Book of Secrets, Dragonhelm, Ironcurse Icon
now with a 2+ save and grants his unit a 6+ (5+ with MoT) Wardsave against warmachines.

CORE - 1103pts

29 x Warriors - Shields, full command, Mark of Tzeentch, Blasted Standard
Bulked out this unit a bit more, now they're rock hard and have the option of going horde for weight of strength 4 attacks. Lord goes here.

29 x Warriors - Halberds, full command, Mark of Tzeentch, Banner of Rage
Again, bulked right out, and gains the option to go horde, BSB gives them a 5+ ward save total against warmachines

SPECIAL - 360pts

4x Trolls

4x Trolls
These seemed quite effective, even against such elite opponents, small enough to fit in beside a unit or into a flank, but large enough to hit hard and build up some bonuses from their special regen.

RARE - 465pts

Hellcannon
These seemed to do quite well in combat, and didn't hit the broadside of a barn at shooting! lol, will try 2 again sometime soon, but for now the 2nd ones traded in for...

Warshrine

Warshrine
Allows me to buff up my units without relying on magic, sorta did a swap, the Lord now blasts with magic and the warshrines buff, can also help cover the flanks of my line.

So, any thoughts on the changes?

Mindshred
31-07-2010, 06:58
I'm interested to learn how fire magic ends up working for your sorcerer lord.

Dreadgrass
02-08-2010, 05:50
I'm interested to learn how fire magic ends up working for your sorcerer lord.

To be honest, me too!

I'm hoping weight of strength 4 hits should thin down steadfast opponents, snipe warmachines, and generally mess up my opponents battleline. Thinking the BSB might go for fireball as well to really give me the oppurtunity to use fires attribute... Though the signature Shadow spell is mighty handy...

General deployment (terrain allowing) will be Hellcannon in the centre, A Block of warriors to either side, Trolls either side of that (or within range of my BSB and generals bubbles regardless) and Warshrines covering the flanks. Essentially, everythings covering the flanks of the 2 warrior blocks, which will go for the throat whilst the other elements either support-charge or intercept enemy support units...

Paraelix
02-08-2010, 07:07
Fire is overrated. 1 Buff spell >_> Fireball is good. Fire Cage is good. Burning head is meh. The D3 hits per ranks is ok vs some opponents. Biggest problem is it is all just hits and all at the same Str... Not enough variety to be fun and exciting to wield.

Jericho
02-08-2010, 09:25
Yeah I still think Tzeentch is just too good to say no. Nurgle is fun too, but a bit more situational and breaks your theme a bit. Fire is kinda lame, Shadow can be really good when combined with other spells/abilities (Nurgle has good synergy here), and Death is fairly straight forward but fun for sniping.

I'm a little surprised that the Hellcannons didn't perform for you. In my experience they are generally one of the best units in my army ... there's the odd game where they suck (like all war machine type units) but they generally are worth the investment. The instant panic checks at -1 is HUGE against many armies out there.

Btw Favor of the Gods would be nice on the Lord, not sure if you can squeeze in the points or not though.

Dreadgrass
02-08-2010, 10:29
I agree, though I think fire may have some uses...

What do people think of Heavens? The comet and lightning spells are handy to spread a little damage and get the enemy moving, and the hexes/ augments seem like they'd suit Chaos warriors well... -1 to hit and -1 LD not to mention shooting warmachines on a 4+? re-rolling 1's when your likely needing a 3+ at worst? making the enemy re-roll 6's especially against killing blow and poison? The only thing I can't really see much use for is the windblast...

theSkullduggery1
02-08-2010, 14:43
I didn't know that there was a -1 LD in heavens (I haven't spent much time looking at it), but it would be cool to cast that spell while having the Doom Totem and then hitting something with a hellcannon to cause a panic test at -3 LD! I might have to take a look into heavens!

Drek
02-08-2010, 14:59
I saw a combination in another thread that I have incorporated into my army. Shadows Hex spells + curse of the leper can remove whole units in a single turn. It can be devastating if you get both spells off.

Jericho
02-08-2010, 19:54
Yeah it's hard to do, but the combo is lethal. You can do it with either the S or T Shadow debuff as well, since Leper reduces both.

theSkullduggery1
02-08-2010, 20:11
What about combining the two units of Trolls, I feel a bigger unit would draw more attention and end with you getting more rolls on EotG table.

Dreadgrass
02-08-2010, 22:54
Thanks again for all your help everyone!

@ Heavens magic - the signature spell is -1 to hit and -1LD to an enemy unit for a very reasonable casting cost... combined with Hellcannon Doom totem, and Doom and Darkness would be -6LD I believe... Tricky to pull off though.

@ Nurgle/ Shadow combo of doom - yes, it is a very good combo, but I'm trying to avoid the god-specific spell lists. Also, my local group aren't keen on special characters, so no festus to pull that off with any degree of likely hood outside getting 2 lvl. 4's...

@ Trolls - interesting idea, I have planned to use them in a more supporting role as I have 2 big blocks of Warriors already, but a big unit could be good too...

Dreadgrass
05-08-2010, 01:04
So, thinking of re-swaping the warshrines for the Hellcannon, as 2 hellcannons + a comet/ chain lightning should get the enemy moving and Heavens should do quite well to buff the army where needed.

So that leaves just over 55 points... any suggestions?

Gambles
05-08-2010, 01:15
I like how you put in green your intended strategy for each unit. I'm not new to games but I am new to WH and it's helpful.