PDA

View Full Version : Vortex spells

Davemaddocks
27-07-2010, 12:37
Have vortex's been nerfed now?

1st off the rules

The rule in the BRB:
If a magical vortex ever ends its move over a unit, place it 1" beyond the unit in the direction it was moving.

The rule for The Purple sun of Xereus:
To determine how many inches the template moves, roll an artillery dice and multiply the result by 3. Any model touched by the TEMPLATE must pass an Initiative test or be slain outright with no armour saves of any kind allowed.

FAQ:
Q: If a magical vortex ends its move over a unit it is placed 1"
beyond the unit. If this is also over a unit should it be placed 1"
beyond that unit, repeating the process until it is not touching any
models? When this happens, I assume models between where the
magical vortex ended its move and where the template is placed are
not affected by the spell? (p36)
A: Yes to both questions.

The way its wrote originally sugests that the spell would continue to travel over the units killing stuff until it finally rests not in contact with any models.

The FAQ sugests differently.

It also brings up the question of what happens if you have 2 units one infront of the other and you move one unit so that only 1 model is touched by the template.

It will pull the template over the whole unit (traveling in the direction it was moving) but only 1 model is affected regardless of how big the unit is or how many models get touched by the template before it finally rests.

Is the FAQ wrong?

Thoughts

SideshowLucifer
27-07-2010, 13:09
No te FAQ is correct and the change was deffinatly warrented.

stiggie
27-07-2010, 18:08
i find it strange u think vortex's are nerfed now RAW doesnt mean the caster is effected :P.. unless u run an emo list??

but yeh i don't agree with the nerfed statement, it just prevents people using rules to their advantage (making the vortex travel more than 30" etc)

I use purple sun spam myself and I agree with the rulings for fairness.

sulla
27-07-2010, 21:07
It still travels the artilllery dice times 3 though. Cast from the flank, that's enough to hit 2-3 units. That's still enough to neuter a VC, Dwarf or Lizard army. Angle it so it finishes in front of their lines and it still screws them over royally in subsequent phases too.

Paraelix
27-07-2010, 22:12
It also brings up the question of what happens if you have 2 units one infront of the other and you move one unit so that only 1 model is touched by the template.

It will pull the template over the whole unit (traveling in the direction it was moving) but only 1 model is affected regardless of how big the unit is or how many models get touched by the template before it finally rests.

Is the FAQ wrong?

Thoughts
Not overly sure what point you're trying to make here... I'm assuming you mean walking a unit of yours into the template and stopping? Such an instance isn't actually covered in the rules >_> There is only a stipulation for moving the template if it finishes IT'S move over an enemy unit.

Davemaddocks
27-07-2010, 23:05
I mean your opponent casts the spell and its looking as if it could cause all sorts of problems for you. so you walk a unit and clip it with one model. So you can force it to continue to travel in the dircetion it was already moving, making it pass over the unit that clipped it then stopped on it. Then it moves over that unit not doing any more damage (other then the one that clipped it) then over another unit or character again and again until its safely out of harms way or off the board.

Im not really moaning about the ruling i just think its not RAR.
Its not worth trying to dispell it anymore, just sheppard it away.

davidvonhauser
27-07-2010, 23:18
Not overly sure what point you're trying to make here... I'm assuming you mean walking a unit of yours into the template and stopping? Such an instance isn't actually covered in the rules >_> There is only a stipulation for moving the template if it finishes IT'S move over an enemy unit.

I may be way off, but I would say if you walked into it would you not wait until the magic phase for the template to move again before resolving any damage? With whoever is under it to begin with being effected, obviously.