PDA

View Full Version : New to fantasy. High elves or Bretonnians?

undeadyotsuba
27-07-2010, 12:47
Hey guys I'm quite new in fantasy,but I came from 40k where I played Tyranids.
Now I'm posting this on my friends account because I'm just too lazy to make my own so I'm going to ask you a couple of things.

1.I want a tacticlly challenging army which I actually need to use my brain and improvise if something happens.
2.I like both the model ranges so I will be willing to pick either one up but I really just want to know which one is less cheese well because I can't stand cheese my self.
3.Are bretonnians just a click and charge army? Because I really like tactics and if they are that simplistc urgh :evilgrin:.
4.Now what has changed for Bretonnians in 8th edition? Because I know that alot of people are whining about High elves so what has changed for both of them?

Von Wibble
27-07-2010, 13:10
High elves certainly fit point 1. Some people are (wrongly) whining that high elves now reroll to hit and strike first against most foes. They are also very expensive in points and as fragile as ever, especially with step up attacks in play. If you don't engage the enemy on the right terms you will not get away with it, whilst other armies can to a greater degree.

Brets used to be point and click but I think they are a lot more tactically diverse now. Just don't take all knights- give peasants a try. Their shooting phase is arguably the best in the game after dwarfs and empire (its certainly better than the high elf one)

Imo neither army is cheese currently. The only thing that might sway your view towards one or the other is that high elves are due a whole load of plastic models soon, first in the isle of blood set and then a load of plastics in october. Otoh it is unlikely the brest will get anything until the next edition of their army book, and I can't see that happening for at least another year.

Lord of the End Times
27-07-2010, 14:08
Well, here's what I think:

1: Both bretonnians and high elves are tactical armies, with a diverse range of units which excel in different situations and suck in others. They both require thought to play.

2: Some people complain about high elves being powerful in the new edition, they are certainly powerful but not game breaking IMHO. Bretonnians are by by no means bad, but they are a challenge to win with now against a strong opponent.

3: No, absolutely not. They used to be but with 8th edition, if you play like that you will lose (I've tried it, I should know). They require a combined arms approach and tactical thinking now, which I think makes them more fun to play.

4: For bretonnians - As above, just taking loads of knights and charging headlong at the foe will now end in getting bogged down and ground down into an epic defeat. Brets now need big infantry blocks, magic support, archers with defensive stakes and trebuchets. Knights are still valid but must be used intelligently, preferably in big units on the flanks.

As for models, as Von Wibble says there are soon to be lots of new high elf plastics coming out but nothing new for brets.

I think they are both great armies, I am an avid bretonnian general and intend to start my own high elf army with the new starter set.

undeadyotsuba
27-07-2010, 15:45
High elves certainly fit point 1. Some people are (wrongly) whining that high elves now reroll to hit and strike first against most foes. They are also very expensive in points and as fragile as ever, especially with step up attacks in play. If you don't engage the enemy on the right terms you will not get away with it, whilst other armies can to a greater degree.

Brets used to be point and click but I think they are a lot more tactically diverse now. Just don't take all knights- give peasants a try. Their shooting phase is arguably the best in the game after dwarfs and empire (its certainly better than the high elf one)

Imo neither army is cheese currently. The only thing that might sway your view towards one or the other is that high elves are due a whole load of plastic models soon, first in the isle of blood set and then a load of plastics in october. Otoh it is unlikely the brest will get anything until the next edition of their army book, and I can't see that happening for at least another year.

Thanks and I was thinking if I would buy 2 boxes of Island of blood then I can either pick:rolleyes: High elves or Bretonnians I would just convert the swordmasters to knights of errant and so